Start by marking “Father, Son, & Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles, & Relevance” as Want to Read:
Father, Son, & Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles, & Relevance

Father, Son, & Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles, & Relevance

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Bruce Ware provides an approachable examination of the doctrine of the Trinity. He discusses the relationship and roles of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and the practical implications of the Trinity for our lives.
Published February 1st 2005 by Crossway Books (first published January 21st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Father, Son, & Holy Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Father, Son, & Holy Spirit

Brantley Rutz
I cannot recommend this book enough.

Before reading this book, if you were to ask me to give the definition of what we as Christians mean by the term "Trinity" I could have given it to you almost precisely in the same way as Ware defines it. However, even in knowing the definition it is still hard to explain the relationships and roles They play and the uniqueness of each Person of the Godhead. (I mean, the Trinity is a great mystery, right?) Ware does a phenomenal job of explaining the roles and
Mark A Powell
Widely accepted yet often neglected is the doctrine of the Trinity – one God in three distinct persons. Ware begins with an overview and then systematically addresses each member in turn. Although it can read a bit too academic in places, there is great value in thinking about the nature and roles within the Trinity. Especially helpful is Ware’s discussion of how these Trinitarian roles are to be reflected and practiced in our own relationships. Highly recommended.
Keith Feisel
This was the clearest presentation of the Trinity I have ever read.
I got the sit under Bruce Ware's instruction at a pastor and wives' retreat in Durango, CO a number of years ago. What a treat! (Dallas Holm and his wife were the musical guests, which only added to the experience.)

The focus that this book took in presenting the doctrine of the Trinity was what intrigued me most. As noted in the subtitle, this book addresses the "relationships, roles and relevance" of the different persons in th
Brian Whittaker
Heart warming and practical, this was a really accessible read on the Trinity. Also appreciated the clarity on the different roles the persons in the Trinity play.
Chris Whisonant
Overall this is a great, short book on the Trinity. It is written so that the layperson can grasp the concepts well, but still provides good detail. The focus is primarily on how each Person of the Trinity relates to each other. Even though I am SBC as well and agree mostly with the last chapter on the relevance of the Trinity to gender roles and submission to authority, I believe that the reader would have been better served with other examples of the relevance of the Trinity. It seemed that fo ...more
Chris Mclain
Ware provides a concise and insightful look into the Trinity. He breaks down the history of the belief's development, describes each member, uses biblical exegesis to anchor each of his points, and provides several helpful applications of this doctrine. I found his commentary on prayer (praying TO the Father, THROUGH the Son, and BY the Holy Spirit) and relationships between individuals, within marriages, and for the church as a whole invaluable. His discussion of authority and submission within ...more
Ryan Lynd
A well referenced, convincing, theologically solid book on the trinity. For those who desire to know more about the nature of this sometimes difficult doctrine, this is excellent. A couple things that stood out to me: the Spirit is mentioned WAY more than I thought, and I've read the Bible a lot. Often, we can gloss over the passages that mention the "Spirit of God" and don't assign that to the person of the Holy Spirit. Also, it brought back my focus on who we are to pray to, and that is the Fa ...more
Jeni Enjaian
I find it difficult, in general, to review books such as this, especially when I do not devote as much time as I should have to reading it.
That being said, I thought that this book was well-structured and consistent up until the final chapter. (Each chapter had a consistent, logical structure.)
This book is also well-grounded in Scripture, a definitely plus.
That last chapter is what took it from a four star rating to a three. While I can see the relevance of the trinity to marriage and discussio
Godly
Brilliant book! The last chapter on the implication of the trinity for human relationships is AMAZING! Excellent teaching and a must read if you want to practically understand how the right view of God in his Trinity helps us humble ourselves and exalt God!
Michael
This book was given to me as a gift, but having read Dr. Ware's book, "God's Lesser Glory," I anticipated that it would feed my soul and engage my mind. I have not been disappointed. This book is a wonderful treatment of the subject of the Trinity. As the title suggests, the books addresses the roles of Father, Son, and Spirit and the relationship that exists between them.

Dr. Ware's main purpose in the book is to demonstrate that the distinction between the persons in the Trinity is not a distin
Tim Woody
A decent read but not necessarily eye opening or additive to the material that already existed up to the point of Dr. Ware's publication.
Micah Lugg
I really appreciated the pastoral approach that Ware took in this book to show that the Trinity is not just a doctrine which needs to be expounded correctly, but a theology that has sometimes simple, yet profound application for our Christian lives.

Although not completely comprehensive (what book on the Trinity ever is?), this book creates a thirst for more - more of God, more of the Scriptures, and more of the specific doctrine of the Trinity and it's application for our lives.

I highly recomm
Amy Timm
I enjoyed this book, but not for the reasons I expected. Attempting to comprehend the Trinity is simply mind-blowing, and this book both answers some questions & invokes new ones. However, my favorite part of this book was actually the application of the authority/submission structure of the Trinity in marriage. The author painted a really interesting picture of what it looks like for a husband to be the God-honoring authority of the household without being dominating and what it looks like ...more
This book didn't go as deep theologically as I expected, but it was much more practical than I expected. Bruce Ware expounds on various intra-Trinitarian roles and relationships, and spends a great deal of time drawing out implications for our lives and relationships.

He spends some time showing how the submission of the Son to the Father, and the submission of the Holy Spirit to both Father and Son model the beautiful submission that His image bearers should emulate. I was not expecting this bo
G Walker
I really like reading Ware... not sure why... perhaps the pastoral warmth that he exudes. This volume is helpful - but overall I do take issue with his understanding of the Trinity... ultimately too Western and his argument has gender roles in the background and while he may reject "subordinationism" formally, the book surely does smell of it... perhaps it was too small a volume to engage those aspects which he addressed. Good - not bad though overall. Cf Who's Tampering with the Trinity?: An As ...more
Sami
This was required reading for a theology class. I was pleasantly surprised at how well-written and easy to read this book is. Ware does an excellent job at explaining how the Bible defines the unified, trinitarian relationship between God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit. It also elaborates on how this relationship is meant to reflect on human relationships between husbands and wives, parents and children, etc.

Recommended for curious people and those seeking to grasp a better understanding of Chris
Blair Holland
Excellent presentation on Doctrine of the Trinity. Helpful to see the relationship and role each person of the Godhead functions with the others. Great application to husbands and wives.
Craig Forrester
This is a short, essential book that all Christians should read. Bruce does an excellent job of articulating an orthodox position on the Trinity while addressing issues in the modern church. Bruce also pays careful attention to the implications the nature and character of Trinity has on human relationships -- including marriage, family, and the church. His writing here is concise, easy to understand, non-technical language that every member of the church should be able to appreciate. Highly reco ...more
Rene Hernandez
It is a nice approach about relationships and roles helpful to have a basic understanding of the doctrine in a summary and single way. Still good and recommended to be read
台耀
It is a pretty insightful and detailed study of the Trinity, as well as the profound impact in our own relationships.

“As God is one, so human beings are created in that one image, fully human and fully equal. Yet, as God is three—and particularly by virtue of the eternal taxis that orders the relations of the divine Persons—so human beings must embrace the created taxis of their human relations”
Isaac Hobbs
The main thing I got out of this book was the importance of understanding the Trinity. How much impact it will have on a Christians life. However it is impossible to understand all of the Trinity, but Bruce Ware did a good job of saying this is what we know, this is what is revealed, therefore this is how it should affect the Christian.
Troy Neu
While I believe that all theology is practical, this was one of the most practical theological books I've read in some time. It's important to understand the Trinity but knowing how that understanding should impact our lives is critical.
Andrew Barlow
Very good intro to the subject written with a deeply doxological tone. It's one I've been meaning to read for a long time, but just now got the chance. It reads more like a sermon than a technical study. Great introduction.
Bauer Evans
Excellent; Dr. Ware's ability to present a balanced look, from scripture of the Trinity, is exceptional. He writes as one who worships, is amazed and enjoys the Triune God of scripture.
Sidney

Excellent book. Love the perspective on the relationships among the godhead. One God...three roles. Very clearly communicated. He also gets into the practical implications for us.
Eric Molicki

This is a really outstanding little intro to the doctrine of the Trinity that leads you to some old & rich truths in a very accessible style. Highly recommend it!
Tyler Hurst
Great book on the doctrine of the Trinity. Sanders' book is a bit more practical, but Ware is accessible and clear in his articulation of the doctrine.
Nathaniel
The biggest issue with this book is the lack of attention on Metaphysics. Other than that is it a read concise book concerning the trinity.
Jeff Boettcher
A great introduction to the doctrine of the Trinity, why it matters and what it means for the Christian life.
Jesse
Best overall treatment of God's triune nature I have read. Practical and informative.
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • God's Glory in Salvation through Judgment
  • Delighting in the Trinity: An Introduction to the Christian Faith
  • The Doctrine of God (A Theology of Lordship)
  • The Holy Trinity: In Scripture, History, Theology, and Worship
  • Scripture Alone: Exploring the Bible's Accuracy, Authority, and Authenticity
  • The Deep Things of God: How the Trinity Changes Everything
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • The Message of the Old Testament: Promises Made
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • Does God Control Everything? (Crucial Questions, #14)
  • Created in God's Image
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Spectacular Sins: And Their Global Purpose in the Glory of Christ
  • Tempted and Tried: Temptation and the Triumph of Christ
Bruce A. Ware (PhD, Fuller Theological Seminary) is professor of Christian theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He has written numerous journal articles, book chapters, book reviews, and has authored God's Lesser Glory, God's Greater Glory, and Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
More about Bruce A. Ware...
Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God The Man Christ Jesus: Theological Reflections on the Humanity of Christ God's Lesser Glory: The Diminished God of Open Theism God's Greater Glory: The Exalted God of Scripture and the Christian Faith Their God Is Too Small: Open Theism and the Undermining of Confidence in God

“So, look at the Trinity and think again about what it means to be human. Yes, the relationships in the Trinity call for and call forth a created community of persons. We need to think very hard about this in our churches. It is one of the reasons a small group ministry is such a good thing. Small groups are one key way in which we can establish, in our churches, communities of interconnection and interdependence. Surely this is also one of the main reasons that the Spirit assigns gifts to each believer in the body of Christ, so that we will both give to one another and depend on one another in our growing in Christ. Interconnection and interdependence are key themes we see in the Trinity that we need to see lived out increasingly in our lives and churches. Let’s give thoughtful and prayerful attention to building Trinity-like communities of interdependence and interconnection with one another, working with each other, for each other, and doing so with harmony and love for one another.” 0 likes