Start by marking “Kobieta z wydm” as Want to Read:
Kobieta z wydm

Kobieta z wydm

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,691 Ratings  ·  836 Reviews
Stąd nie można uciec. Entomolog z Tokio wyrusza na krótką wyprawę w poszukiwaniu piaskowych owadów. Nie spodziewa się, że na nadmorskich wydmach przydarzy mu się coś niewytłumaczalnego. Uwięziony w pułapce bez wyjścia, z tajemniczą kobietą u boku, dzień po dniu będzie walczył o życie z niszczycielską potęgą piasku. Bezsensowny wysiłek, prowokujące zachowanie kobiety i skom ...more
Published 2010 by Społeczny Instytut Wydawniczy Znak (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Kobieta z wydm, please sign up.

Ashes Xinom The book is really dark and psychologically intense. I would suggest you read this book without any expectations. Hope you enjoy it

Mary
Jun 19, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is horrifically claustrophobic and eerie.

How much of our lives consist of frantically trying to stay afloat? Life can be as fruitless as a man trapped under sand dunes digging to live...or living to dig. Do we work to live or live to work? If you think being held hostage in sand is fantastical, what do you think your life is, anyway?

This book wears you down. It gets into your skin, your hair, under your fingernails. The sand is everywhere. The wind, the salt air, their eyes always wat
Agnieszka
May 02, 2014 Agnieszka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, japan, 2014, reviewed

When we mix surrealistic Kafkaesque climate with existential questions about sense of human being then we get something like The woman in the dunes .

Tale about a man obsessed or maybe possessed with sand who during the trip to the sea is trapped in the dunes in a cave inhabited by a lonely woman. Initially desperately tries to escape , but the magnetic strength of the woman , her desperate fight with sand makes that what previously seemed to be a trap , now becomes a sense of his life.

The firs
Nicole~
Dec 07, 2014 Nicole~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Without the threat of punishment there is no joy in flight.

In Kobo Abe's fantasy world of The Woman in the Dunes, an amateur entomologist on vacation finds himself in a remote coastal village built amid deeply undulating dunes. There, he is tricked by a lonely widow and her neighboring villagers, trapped in deep pits shored by sand drift walls, to be charged with the task of shoveling back the ever-sliding banks, persistent and never-ending in its threat to entomb them.

Sand moves aroun
Rowena
Apr 09, 2014 Rowena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japanese-lit
“While he mused on the effect of the flowing sands, he was seized from time to time by hallucinations in which he himself began to move with the flow.”

This book is about a man who tricked and has to live in a house at the bottom of a sand pit with a woman. They can't escape the sand which settles on them even as they sleep. As much as they shovel it away, they can't get rid of it.

This is definitely a unique story. I now know more about sand than I probably need to. I never really thought much a
Praj
Jul 15, 2010 Praj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: にほん
While reading this book my thoughts were constantly racing towards Camus’s ‘The Myth of Sisyphus” "From the moment absurdity is recognized, it becomes a passion, the most harrowing of all."

Premises of hope, alienation and irrationality reeking from every printed word induced me into inferring Kobo Abe being the Japanese Camus. The protagonist Junpei Niki illustrates traits of Sisyphean persona; pursuing meaningless task of digging buckets of sand from the pit only to see it fill up again.

Junpe
David
Jun 21, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sand women, entomologists
Since I started reading both more avidly and more widely several years ago, I've spent more time analyzing different genres, different kinds of authors, and different kinds of literature. In Jane Smiley's 13 Ways of Looking at the Novel, she makes a number of observations about how classic French novels differ from classic British novels, and how American novelists differ from either. I'm not well read enough in French and British literature to judge the validity of her points, other than to not ...more
Richard Vialet
Sand sucks.

The sand in this novel is so oppressive, invasive, and omnipresent, that after finishing the book, I felt like I needed to take a shower. Maybe two.

"His words were absorbed by the sand and blown by the wind, and there was no way of knowing how far they reached."
The book is the basis of one of my favorite Japanese movies, and it's story is so eccentric, I wanted to see how it worked as a novel. It's the tale of a man, who disappeared and was declared dead after he journeyed on his
Pooya Kiani
حقیقتا کتاب خوبی بود.
اگر یک مقداری از دایرهی مرد-شن-زن-گریز خارج میشد، و در عین حال چفت و بست داستان را هم رعایت میکرد، اثر تبدیل به یک شاهکار ادبی میشد. منظور اصلی اینکه هنرمند یک مقداری مقهور هنرِ خودش شده بود، و این طبعا درست نیست. از ترجمه بوی شتابزدگی و عدم وسواس بلند میشد.
طرح داستانیِ بسیار قدرتمند و بیبروبرگرد قابل دفاعی داشت.
Dustin
Jan 09, 2008 Dustin added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: good friends that you kind of hate a little
Shelves: crappy-books
My first year at SFSU, me and my roommate decided to recommend books to each other, books we loved, in order to get to know each other better. It was the kind of quasi-homoerotic, pseudo-intellectual buddy activity which has since become the staple of our relationship.

The first book he recommended was "Woman in the Dunes". I struggled with it and felt intellectually inferior. He was my friend and I wanted to like it. I tried really hard. I fell asleep reading it at least three times. I remember
Michael
Mar 24, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, slipstream
A novel of erosion - erosion of resolve, erosion of morality, erosion of sanity. Delightfully surreal.
Maciek
Kōbō Abe's The Woman in the Dunes is not only his most famous novel, but a classic of post-war Japanese literature and existential literature in general. Reviewers compared Abe to Sartre and Camus; it's been years since I've read both, so I'll do my best to judge the book on its own merit.

On surface, The Woman in the Dunes is a deceptively simple story. The main character, Niki Jumpei, is an amateur entomologist who travels to a remote area of Japan in search for rare insects. Jumpei desires to
Nate D
Read within a week of seeing the film, I'm surprised by how closely they parallel eachother. Somehow, the entire novel's storyline fits unhurriedly into the film's two hours, with the only omissions being the protagonist's introspections into the natures of sand and sex. Some of which here are actually amazing -- the metaphysics of sand moreso then the rather garbled sexual politics sequence, which I read over twice but am still confused by, for reasons that might actually have to do with some o ...more
Christopher
Apr 07, 2016 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It was like trying to build a house in the sea by brushing the water aside".

Why are sand and time so often associated? Is it their naturally agglutinative particularity? Is it the pervasive image of the hourglass or its instrumental functionality?

"SAND: an aggregate of rock fragments. Sometimes including loadstone, tinstone, and more rarely gold dust. Diameter: 2 to 1/16 mm.

"A very clear definition indeed. In short, then, sand came from fragmented rock and was an intermediate between clay and
peiman-mir5 rezakhani
با خواندنِ این داستان اولین چیزی که به ذهنم رسید زندگی کنونی ما ایرانیان بود... اون دهکده رو ایرانِ عزیزم دیدم... و انسان هایِ گرفتار در گودال های شنی رو دختران و پسران سرزمین پاک ایران زمین دیدم... ایرانیانی که هر روزشان مثلِ دیروز است... گرفتار در تکرار و تکرار... همه افسرده و پرخاشگر... با این تفاوت که یکی بیشتر پول دارد و دیگری کمتر... با این تفاوت که اون مرد شکم دَل به واسطۀ طمع به درونِ چاله رفت... ما به بهانۀ چه رفتیم؟ چه به روزِ سرزمینِ ما آوردن؟ آیا ما همان مردم همیشه شاد در زمانِ بهرام ...more
Heba Nouraldeen
Jan 22, 2015 Heba Nouraldeen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
رواية مُمتعة ..ولكنها مُرهقة جداً
تخيل نفسك فى قرار حفرة عميقة تأخذ الريح بخناقها والرمال تتهاوى عليك من كل جانب
الرمل تدفق قُطره ثُمن ملليمتر ..اياك ان تستهين بقوته والتى تكمن فى قدرته على التدمير وان تسحقك حتى الموت
فكرة مُرعبة كانت تثير خوفى طوال قراءتى لتلك الرواية
ليس بمقدورك سوى التفكير فى الهروب ولكن ماذا لو قررت ان تقتحم الأبواب بالقوة دون انتظار واذ بمحاولتك تبوء بالفشل
فتعود رهين تلك الهوة العميقة الكئيبة ؟؟؟
قد تقرر مضطراً للتأقلم كوسيلة وليس هدفاً
ولكن اتراه ذلك التأقلم مع مُضى الأيام قد ي
Alireza
Feb 21, 2015 Alireza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
زن در ریگ روان اثر عمیقی است. یک دست است و این یک دست بودن در فرم و محتوا کار را بسیار قوی کرده. از جنبه های فنی و نوشتن که بگذریم، محتوای اگزیستانسیالیستی کار بدون افت، بدون اینکه به داستان بودن کار لطمه بزند راه خودش را می رود و برای خواننده "ساده نگر" داستان را فدای محتوا نمی کند.
کتاب سه بخش دارد. سه بخش که اگر بهتر نگاه کنیم متناظر تز، آنتی تز و سنتز هستند. تز امید و رهایی از بیهودگی، آنتی تز سیزیف و سنتز زندگی.
Marat M. Yavrumyan
Տարօրինակ էր, ինչպես և ճապոնացի մյուս բոլոր հեղինակներից կարդացած գրքերը։ Ժամանակն արժեր, իրոք։ Ի՞նչ տվեց գիրքը, Աստված գիտի։ Ամեն դեպքում, ամենից շատ հավանածս հատվածը՝

— Լավ, մի մխիթարիր... Կյանքը այնպիսի բան չէ, որ միայն մխիթարվելով ապրեն... Այնտեղ ուրիշ կյանք է, այստեղ ուրիշ... Եվ միշտ թվում է, թե ուրիշ կյանքն ավելի քաղցր է... Ամենից գարշելին մտածելն է, թե ի՞նչ կլինի, եթե կյանքը հենց այսպես էլ անցնելու է գնա... Մի՞թե սա է կյանքը... Այդ բանը ոչ ոք չգիտե... Էհ, ավելի լավ է մինչև կոկորդ խրված լի
Mostafa
Jan 13, 2016 Mostafa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"زندگی چیزی نیست که آدم بتواند بفهمد"

فضای تلخ و سیاهی داره داستان... اون یک هشتم میلیمتر ساده و پیچیده که تمام کتاب رو پوشونده و هر تکانی که میخورید از سروکولتون پایین میریزه و معنی تمام چیزها رو توی خودش خلاصه کرده واقعا ترسناکه... شن چیزی نیست ولی همه چیزه... شن هرچیزیه توی این زندگی که ما باهاش درگیریم... ازش که غافل بشیم آوار میشه روی سرمون، اگه ازش بخوایم بگذریم میشینه رومون و ذره ذره از بیرون مارو میپوسونه... زندگی همون دهکده شن آلود و زرد و چرکینه... انگار هر تلاشی برای رهایی ازش محکوم به
James
Aug 10, 2014 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third time I am writing this review after having it crash on me like a wall of sand, and now in this seemingly Sisyphean task - like the fate of the novel's narrator, condemned to shovelling sand in a nightmarish, inescapable pit - I feel like Kōbō Abe captured perfectly the sheer mundanity of the struggles we fight against daily when we ask ourselves what does it mean to be living. And how much does it mean to survive? After having written out a full review twice already, I feel dra ...more
Yulia
I began this book with such hope. How had I not read this before? Abe is amazing, he's a master, he's the inspiration for Haruki Murakami certainly, he's the original Japanese Kafka. Ah, what promise it held. And then the book continued . . .

"There was a woman . . . there was sand . . . there was an empty water jar . . . there was a drooling wolf . . . there was a sun" (p. 125). Don't ask about the drooling wolf. He lost me there.

I should note that I've never cared for sand or for beaches, so t
Jimmy
Jun 23, 2016 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, novel, male, year-1960s, poc
And so it came to be, as we had long suspected, that hope and hopelessness are inextricably tied together at the bottom of some sand cavity scooped out by incessant wind. As with most allegories, do not read this as an allegory. It is merely the human mind with its thirst for images that always yearns to couple image with image, thing with its significant other, notably signifying nothing. Instead, read this as a choose-your-own-adventure story:

You are surrounded by steep sand in all directio
Melika Khoshnezhad
کتاب های زیادی وجود دارند که از عناصر فلسفی در روند داستانی شون استفاده کرده اند، اما کتاب های کمی وجود دارند که بدون " حرف زدن " و تکرار حتا لغت به لغت حرف های یک فیلسوف توانسته باشند فقط با عناصر روایی و شخصیت و فضا پردازی آن تفکر فلسفی را نشان بدهند. این کتاب بدون شک برای به تصویر کشیدن اندیشه های اگزیستانسالیسم موفق بوده، بدون اینکه حتا نقل قول مستقیم یا ارجاعی به حرف های فیلسوفی داشته باشه، صرفا با فضا و شخصیت ها و روایت داستانی.
Mahdiis
FeReSHte
Jul 16, 2015 FeReSHte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan

کتاب خیلی مهم تر و پیچیده تر و فلسفی تر از چیزی بود که انتظار داشتم
و با این وجود ساده ترین حقیقتی رو که محض یادآوری محکم کوبوند تو صورتم این بود که آدما اگه بعد از تلاش برای فرار از بدبختی هاشون به نتیجه ای نرسیدند و دق مرگ هم نشدند بدون شک آروم و آهسته با بدبختی هاشون دوست میشن،بهش خو میگیرن و این قدر عادت میکنند که دیگه دلشون نمیخواد چیزی تغییر کنه

اگه تو شرایط روحی مناسبی نیستین از خوندن کتاب صرفنظر کنین
Celeste Corrêa
Acabei agora mesmo a leitura de “A Mulher da Areia”(1962) do japonês Kobo Abe, e não consegui reprimir um Oh! de surpresa. Caramba! Isto uma fábula,talvez uma parábola, talvez mesmo uma alegoria fantástica da sociedade.
Um livro com tantas incógnitas. Por que ponta lhe hei-de pegar? Até o próprio absurdo tem limites.
SINOPSE:
Um homem desapareceu sem deixar vestígios. Professor de profissão, entomologista nas horas vagas, aproveita uns dias de feriado para sair de Tóquio. Chega a uma terreola um po
Cphe
Jun 12, 2016 Cphe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angst, classic
Another author that I'd never heard of let alone read. I'm very glad that this author was a recommendation that I followed. There are really, to my mind three main characters in this story. There's Niki who finds himself imprisoned and forced to labour shovelling sand for survival, there's the woman and then there is the sand......the relentless, encroaching, all consuming sand.

This story is eerie in places, the sense of isolation, detachment and claustrophobia is at times overwhelming. The sty
Lavinia
Apr 05, 2010 Lavinia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2010
I don’t remember how I first came to read this book a few years ago, since I’m neither into Japanese authors nor into Existentialism. Anyway, being an e-book, I dropped it almost immediately, but (again, I don’t remember how) I ended up watching the film, about 3 years ago. And boy was it rewarding! The plot, the cinematography, the music, the resemblance to Fowles’ "The Collector", everything seemed to be perfectly bonded and hallucinating, I dare recommend it. But because I sort of hate leavin ...more
میعاد
Dec 26, 2015 میعاد rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
اولين بار بود كه يه كتاب برام جذاب بود ولى ترجمش اينقدر اذيت ميكرد!!

ترجمه باعث نشد كه بگم داستانش بكر و جذاب نبوده!!

خيلى ناراحت كننده بود ولى حقيقت داره !! به نظرم همه ى ما گرفتار یک همچین ریگ زارهایی تو زندگیمون هستیم.....
Caro M.

This cute little book proves that Stockholm syndrome can strike your unprepared self anywhere, even in Japanese dunes. Or especially in Japanese dunes.

P.S. Now that I think about it - this story should be the worst nightmare to Japanese or global corporative system that is enslaving its working units called people. The story is telling them that there is an exit to the whole thing, and they can actually escape it.
Niloofar Shirazian
قربانی مسلم ترجمه. ترجمه ی انگلیسی رو خواهم خوند و امتیازم رو اصلاح خواهم کرد.
Japanese Literature: Woman in the Dunes Chapter 10 to the end 5 19 Jul 31, 2015 03:11PM
Japanese Literature: Woman in the Dunes 10-20 1 18 Jul 12, 2015 06:19AM
Japanese Literature: Woman in the Dunes Part 1 Chapters 1-10 1 19 Jul 09, 2015 06:23AM
Japanese Literature: The Woman In the Dunes Chapters 1-5 5 20 Jul 08, 2015 10:17AM
The World's Liter...: Part II (ch 11-27) 16 37 Jun 26, 2015 05:23PM
  • The Three-Cornered World
  • The Waiting Years
  • The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories
  • Shipwrecks
Kōbō Abe, pseudonym of Kimifusa Abe, was a Japanese writer, playwright, photographer and inventor.

He was the son of a doctor and studied medicine at Tokyo University. He never practised however, giving it up to join a literary group that aimed to apply surrealist techniques to Marxist ideology.

Abe has been often compared to Franz Kafka and Alberto Moravia for his surreal, often nightmarish explor
More about Kōbō Abe...