Start by marking “Kenny & the Dragon” as Want to Read:
Kenny & the Dragon

Kenny & the Dragon

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,481 ratings  ·  364 reviews
Now in paperback, the New York Times bestselling tale of chivalry and showmanship from Tony DiTerlizzi.

Kenny is a little rabbit with a very big problem. His two best friends are heading into a battle of legendary proportions—with each other! In one corner there’s Graeme, a well-read and cultured dragon with sophisticated tastes. In the other there’s
Published December 7th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Kenny & the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kenny & the Dragon

Sharnie
After another night of reading six picture books to my five year old sister, I decided that I should try her on a chapter book. So I set out to find her first chapter book, and on that day I found Kenny & the Dragon. I borrowed it on the spot and we began that night. I am so glad that this book found us, it was the perfect introduction for her to long books.

I knew of Tony Diterlizzi's other works, however I had never read them.

The characters are endearing to the extremes, the story sweet an
Nesa Sivagnanam
I almost want to give everyone a copy of this book. For starters it's a wonderful story and if that's not enough, it has these whimsical illustrations.

Kenny is a rabbit who lives in the sleepy little village of Roundbrook. Kenny gets out and about on a penny farthing and he always has a book bag with him. "Kenny always had his head buried in a book. Fairy tales and natural history were his two favorite topics, and as far as Kenny was concerned, both held the same merit in the real world."

Of cour
Wyatt Packard
Kenny is an adventurous rabbit and lives in the sleepy farming village of Roundbrook. Kenny is an avid reader who always has his head stuck in a book, a trait the others in his school finds odd. They aren't interested in the tales of knights or dragons that Kenny finds fascinating. One day Kenny's father comes home and tells of the dragon he saw on their nearby hill. Kenny of course wants to run out and see this real live dragon himself. Kenny's mother allows it, as long as he finishes his homew ...more
Emory
I saw "Kenny & thee Dragon" at my local library and picked it up solely based on the fact that it was by Tony DiTerlizzi. I have been a fan of his artwork since my days of Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons. His illustrations have an unmistakably recognizable style, and even things that are supposed to be disturbing have a warmth and familiarity to them when he puts them on paper. So of course I had to see what kind of story he could attach to that.

As the title states, it's a bo
minervasowl
The Spiderwick Chronicles sat on my shelf for quite a while before I got around to reading them. Once I did, I realized that I was missing out on the magic and fun of Tony DeTerlizzi.

Today I read Kenny & the Dragon -- a heartwarming story about friendship with the time tested lessons of not judging someone until you actually get to know him or her and being true to yourself woven in nicely. There is adventure and the tiniest bit of romance, with some lovely literary references sprinkled in f
Ruhama
Kenny is a young bunny who is quite different than everyone else: he enjoys reading, learning and has peculiar friends. The dragon, for instance, who recently showed up in his family's field. All of Kenny's readings portray dragons as cruel and firebreathing, but this one likes poetry, music and crème brûlée. They become fast friends, but the rest of the town doesn't agree with Kenny's new findings on dragons. Everyone is determined to get rid of it and even call on the king, who calls on his mo ...more
Diogo
Mais um livro que me arrebatou imediatamente pela capa. Já conhecia o autor das Crónicas de Spiderwick e ao folhear este livro fiquei imediatamente estupefacto pela qualidade, vivacidade e doçura das ilustrações – apesar de serem todas a preto e branco, o que dá a ideia do autor as ter desenhado ali mesmo com o lápis.
A história é simples e leve e por isso lê-se num ápice. É uma história juvenil (infantil?) acerca da amizade e inocência, retratadas na personagem de um jovem coelho. A acção desenr
Brenda
Kenny's father burst into the cottage one day and informs the family that they need to move. You see there is a dragon up on the hilltop. Curious, Kenny decides to investigate and initially thinks he would be perfect for the science fair. When more and more people learn of the dragons existence, the king orders his dragon slayer to dispatch the dragon. The only problem is that Kenny and the dragon have become friends and the dragon slayer is also one of his friends. What is poor Kenny to do? Ill ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Rebecca Wells for TeensReadToo.com

Kenny Rabbit has always been a little different. While most in the tiny farming town of Roundbrook are, indeed, farmers, he is a perpetual bookworm and dreamer, always with one fanciful notion or another in his head. But now it appears that he may be just a little too different for the citizens of Roundbrook - after all, who on earth has a dragon for a best friend?

When the villagers learn of the dragon running loose over the countryside, they immedi
Libby Ames
When a bookish dragon settles on the hill near his home, Kenny is anxious to investigate. He is made a little nervous by Grahame’s size at first meeting, but soon the two are best friends. However, the citizens of the nearby town aren’t so anxious to make friends with a dragon. The problem grows when Kenny realizes George, another of his close friends, has been ordered to exterminate Grahame. Soon it will take all of Kenny’s brains and strength of character to save his newest friend from the pre ...more
Julesmarie
This was adorable! Just honestly so, so cute. The drawings were fantastic and made the characters much more relateable.

Kenny as the main character was beautifully done. He's exactly the type of character that my students would relate to: would rather read and learn about science and fairy tales than just about anything, doesn't fit in at school because he sincerely wants to be there, and would rather meet and get to know the dragon than automatically assume it's bad.

The drawings of Grahame were
Melissa
There are dozens of books about kids making new friends and looking past outward appearances, but this one takes the cake. A bookish rabbit named Kenny meets a dragon named Grahame and the two become fast friends. Things get complicated when Kenny’s only other friend, George the local bookseller, is hired by the king to slay the dragon.

The short book is packed with great life lessons: finding nonviolent solutions to your problems, respecting your parents, talking out your problems with others,
Kelly Ickes
Incredible vocabulary, well told and creative story about friendship within a retold fairytale. A variety of animal characters woven into the plot, with the main character being a boy rabbit and and ancient dragon. I really loved this book. I learned some new things when I was reading.... I never heard of birch beer before. Now I am on a quest to find some and try it.

Until I read The Search for WondLa, I did not know this author. I have certainly become one of is biggest fans just this summer! I
Shelli
Delightful and charming, with word play and "ole' fashiony talk" (as they say) that DiTerlizzi is known for, used expertly. I haven't seen illustrations contribute so effectively to a story since the expert author/illustrator team of Bruce Coville and his wife Katherine.
Abby Johnson
When young Kenny Rabbit finds a dragon hanging out on the hill behind his house, he's afraid at first. But once he gets to know Grahame, he realizes that he's found a kindred spirit and a best friend. When townspeople discover the dragon and insist on destroying it, Kenny has to figure out a way to save his new friend without hurting any of the townspeople. Gorgeous illustrations improve an uneven story. I liked the writing for the most part, but Kenny's voice and the tone of the book seemed to ...more
Tanya
It gets hard at times for our family of 4 children ranging from 12 to 4 years old to find read-alouds we all love, but this one was a winner. Kenny is a young rabbit. They didn't use the term nerdy but that is basically what he was. His dad is a farmer, and comes home one day with the news that he saw a dragon out in the fields! Kenny pulls out his trusty bestiary and tries to nail down what exactly they are dealing with. Turns out the bestiary information is wrong entirely, as Grahame our drago ...more
Elaine Bearden
gr 3-5 (younger for read-aloud)
The cover is very appealing - a rabbit on a bicycle, neck and neck with a soft-haired dragon. I found it was difficult to keep my attention focused on this book - I kept on having to re-read parts. While the story is very child-appealing, (a boy becomes best friends with a dragon), it feels like it has the tone of an adult writing what they think would be a child's fantasy. It is narrated by a character who writes a kind of a prologue. This narrator refers to Kenny
Kathy Leonard
DiTerlizzi, Tony. Kenny & the Dragon (2008).
Characters: Kenneth Rabbit (Kenny), George (Kenny’s best friend, bookstore owner, retired Knight) Grahame (Dragon), Mom and Dad (Kenny’s Parents), Old Pops (Possum), Charlotte (George’s Shop Assistant, Kenny has feelings for her), Porky (Schoolmate, Ruffian), Porky’s Father, Townsfolk, King and Royal Court.
Setting: Roundbrook (farming town)
Themes: Friendship, Loyalty, and Problem-Solving
Genre: Fantasy
Plot/Summary: This story takes us to the small
Snorkle
This was a delightful little book. I especially enjoyed looking at Tony DiTerlizzi's illustrations. His drawings never cease to amuse or amaze me. The story was a little simplistic, but I think juvenile readers would find it inspiring and want to read over and over again. Tony does an excellent job of having a simple message without dumbing down the reading level. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Tati Dengo
This story is short and sweet and made me feel like a child all over again. DiTerlizzi definitely knows what children like to read.

It includes many important lessons, mostly about respecting each other despite our differences, and it delivers these lessons without being preachy.

The illustrations have a scratchy aesthetic that made the story feel even more like a fairy tale, something that happened "Once upon a farm."

I would love to see this one turned into a movie.
Ashley
They really need 1/2 stars. This book was ok. I guess it had some morals or something. Don't judge a book by it's cover or something. It was a play on the reluctant dragon, which I now have to read. It had little talking animals. Anyways, this rabbit, Kenneth (Kenny) befriends a dragon in his family pasture. The town finds out and wants to destroy the scourge, stuff happens and the end is kind of lame. Really, this sunshine state stuff is a bit disappointing.
Carolyn
You know that feeling you get when you realize that someone in the world is incredibly gifted in art? And writing? At the same time? And you feel kind of small thinking about someone with so much talent, but at the same time you're really glad you get to enjoy his gifts. That was my experience with this book. The illustrations (and story) take you to a magical place filled with talking, book-loving animals who overcome setbacks to save a kind, intelligent dragon. The characters discuss Beowulf a ...more
Christina
You know those books that you really want to love, and you do like some little parts of them, but overall you just can't say you liked it? This was one of those books for me.

I liked the dragon, Grahame. He has amusing potential, and ought to have his own book.

The illustrations are lovely, charming and whimsical. It would have been great if the book included more drawings, because really, I enjoyed them more than the story.

What is the target reader age group? Young children (I'm thinking six/seve
Naomi
I did not love this book. It wasn't terrible, but it was disappointing; my kids and I both loved The Spiderwick Chronicles, and I was hoping for something similarly engaging.

The story is promising. Kenny, a young rabbit, befriends Grahame, a dragon who lives on his family's property. Kenny is also a close friend of George the local bookseller, who also happens to be an old and decorated knight. The king orders George to take down the dragon, and this is where the story takes off.

It was blah. The
Ellie Crowley
This story is definitely one worth reading. It all starts off with a rabbit named Kenny who lives in a small, quiet town called Roundbrook. He has always been full of curiosity and always very interested with nature and science. This passion drives him to go on an expedition after finding out about a Dragon in his town. As he and the dragon start to form a bond, the rest of the story plays out nicely.
This book was really fun to read because it was a lot happier and lighter than what I am used t
Cole
I adore this book because of the characters, Kenny a quiet young rabbit meets Grahme a peaceful dragon looking for peace.When people start learning about Grahme a chaotic twist starts. The author leads you on a journey that you realize Kenny has a plan! The story shows much more than just a cover and words, it shows an unknown adventure!
Kathy
This book made me smile from beginning to end! It's aimed at an 8-12 year old audience, but if you like sweet simple stories, this is it. The lead character is a bookworm of a boy who meets a dragon that is nothing like he expects. The cast of characters are great & the illustrations are adorable. This book just made me happy.
Sofia2014
This book takes place in a normal town where Kenny lives. When there is talk about a dragon near his house he decides to go and see for him self but what he finds is not at all what he expected. I think this is an outstanding book and I recommend it as a short read for middle schoolers and a book for the younger generation.
Erik Halls
I have read this book about 5 times. It is my absolute favorite book in the whole world. You would never be able to count all of the funny parts in this fantastic book. Adventure and fantasy mixed into one. Best combination ever! I would very highly recommend this book to any adventurous reader!
Melissa Strong Fraley
Fun to read and fun to read aloud. I read this book to my five year old who (quite unusually) sat still for 30 minutes at a time to listen. I then read this to my class of fourth graders, who begged me to read more each day. Nice vocabulary as an added bonus.
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat
  • The Dragon in the Volcano (Dragon Keepers #4)
  • Where I Live
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • Dodger and Me
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • Obi, Gerbil on the Loose
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • Frogs
  • Oggie Cooder
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • The Reluctant Dragon
  • Igraine the Brave
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites (Spiderwick Chronicles)
  • Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator, Tony DiTerlizzi, has been creating books for over a decade. From his fanciful picture books like "Jimmy Zangwow’s Moon Pie Adventure", "Ted" and "The Spider & The Fly" (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like "Kenny and The Dragon" and the WondLa trilogy, Tony always imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he creat ...more
More about Tony DiTerlizzi...
The Search for WondLa (WondLa, #1) A Hero For WondLa (WondLa, #2) The Battle For WondLa (WondLa, #3) The Spiderwick Chronicles Box Set (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-5) Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles: The Nixies Song, A Giant Problem, The Wyrm King  (Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-3)

“A full stomach allows the brain to be hungry for common sense.” 2 likes