Start by marking “Why So Many Gods?” as Want to Read:
Why So Many Gods?

Why So Many Gods?

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Did you watch The Matrix and think it had to be something more than just an action flick? Do you wonder what Madonna's henna tattoos mean?

This book covers over 100 world religions, secular worldviews, cults, and occult practices from a Christian viewpoint with tolerance and civility. It tells the basic beliefs, short history, important aspects, and it identifies the religi
Published April 1st 2002 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Why So Many Gods?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why So Many Gods?

Jenna
This book has fantastic graphic design. Every page is a different color and designed differently.

That being said, the reason why I like this book so much is because it is so hilariously biased towards the christian world view. There is even a warning before the "satanism" page that you need to pray before you read the page on Satanism. Do not take this book seriously under any circumstances. Except hilarity.
Becky
I learned nothing new from this book. Anything that varies from the Christian worldview is labeled a "cult" and all other religions are labeled as "wrong". Not too surprising, really, but not at all educational either. I gathered rather early in the book that the authors really knew next to nothing about any religion other than their own. This is useless for comparing differing faiths.
Becky Rosenson
Terrible guide to various religions. According to this book every religion that isn't mainstream Christianity is a cult. You'll learn nothing from this one except that the authors are uneducated in any religion except their own.
Wes Bishop
Ignorant book. Typical neo-con narrow minded logic and ignorance of theology.
Jordan
This book gives a decent overview of many religions and cults but it is written in a style that is insulting to my intelligence. The author threw in words like "dude" for no other reason than to try make the book marketable to teenagers. This informality makes it hard to view it as a trustworthy reference.

Tim Baker obviously has a pathetic knowledge of any religion besides Christianity. It's refutation ("What's the trick?") of naturalism is pathetic. In response to the naturalistic idea that eve
Justin
This is a great book if you are looking for a concise overview of a lot of world religions, worldviews, the occult and practices, and cults. It is very simple and easy to understand. This is all from the standpoint of a Christian perspective, and seems to be written for a teenage/young adult audience. If you are looking for something in depth you may look elsewhere. (The section on Magic: The Gathering is totally lame.)
Lauren
This was a good general introduction to various world religions if you are looking for the real bare bones. I downside was that it looks at them from a Christian perspective so that the view is very tainted. But a good quickie intro for sure.
Lauren
Interesting although a tad bit biased in my opinion.
Krysti
Great quick-reference tool.
Bridget Vian
It should be mentioned on the cover that this book is Christian based. Do not read if you are looking for something open minded. It labels every religion except Catholic as wrong or ignorant. Clearly the writers have a different agenda instead of wishing to educate people.
Melissa Wert
I picked up this book thinking it would expand my knowledge on other worldviews and religions, but alas it is simply a Christian book attempting to explain why every belief system except theirs is wrong.
Chris
I gave this book one star because I have yet to figure out if I can give it half a star. While the book does explore quite a few religions any book that labels Magic the Gathering a religion (And doesnt even proved accurate information on the game) deserves such a lowly ranking. This book also proves that one should be wary about purchasing books from a 'christian' book store.

I mean, if the writers and editors of this book screwed up the research on a mainstream popular card game how do I know t
Danielle
Jul 23, 2014 Danielle added it
Shelves: nonfiction
Although I do find this book to be very informative, I wish there was less bias. I think one's religious choice should be a personal one.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
If I could have rated Why So Many Gods a zero, I would have.

Why So Many Gods, instead of living up to its title, wasted time attempting to confirm that Christianity is the only religion while debasing other religions.

Had the authors left out their negative opinions of other religions and had been honest about why the book was written, I believe I could have enjoyed Why So Many Gods.

Why So Many Gods was a book used to recruit readers to Christianity.
Emerald
I first read this book when I was in middle school (I'm out of college now), and I still have my old, beat-up copy for reference. It's clear, smartly laid out, and researched. I don't mind that it's from a Christian world view (and kudos for not hating on Catholicsm, like so many Christian publishers do).
Rhonda
I really enjoyed reading this book, even though it was written from a Christian perspective because it did break down each religion into bite size pieces and explained the high points that the religions followed and how those beliefs are different from the Christian religion.
Brittany
thi s was a gret book it just has excepts that tell adout every religion in the world. It is very interesting to leran how my religion and other religons started.Its a good read if your in to knowing about all the religons in the world.
Nicollette
Very bias.
I wish I never picked with book up. It doesn't not tell the true meanings behind the God(s) of other culture.
I advice if you want to learn about other religions aside from Christianity, leave this book untouched.
Doodle
Mar 04, 2013 Doodle added it
I think it's awesome so far. The only problem I have is keeping others noses out of my book.
Hannah
Fantastic book to get the basics of all major and dozens of minor religions. Incredibly helpful.
Ghodse PH
dfe
Thisby
Thisby marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Maddy
Maddy added it
May 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Relativism: Feet Firmly Planted in Mid-Air
  • True for You, But Not for Me: Deflating the Slogans that Leave Christians Speechless
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict, 2
  • When Critics Ask: A Popular Handbook on Bible Difficulties
  • Persuasions: A Dream of Reason Meeting Unbelief.
  • The Lamb and the Fuhrer: Jesus Talks with Hitler (Great Conversations)
  • The Wishing Jar
  • The Gospel for Muslims: An Encouragement to Share Christ with Confidence
  • Anthropological Insights for Missionaries
  • The Compact Guide to World Religions
  • Fingerprint of God: Recent Scientific Discoveries Reveal the Unmistakable Identity of the Creator
  • The Devil Knows Latin: Why America Needs the Classical Tradition
  • The Case for Civility: And Why Our Future Depends on It
  • Understanding Criminal Law
  • A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
  • Holy Bible: Adventure Bible, Revised, NIV
  • Dragon Sleeping (The Dragon Circle #1)
Tim Baker has contributed to GQ, Playboy, and Rolling Stone, is the author of Go Surf, and is the coauthor of Bustin' Down the Door, Occy, and Surf for Your Life.
More about Tim Baker...
Surf For Your Life: Mick Fanning Back Seat to Justice Surfari High Surf: The World's Most Inspiring Surfers. Tim Baker Living the Dream