Sweetness

Sweetness

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The two brothers, who no longer meet or speak to each other, are neighbors in a northern Swedish village. They used to share a wife, each thinking he had sole tenure. Each thought that he was the father of the woman's only son. The boy died in an accident while the two men bickered as to which of them should rescue him. All the petty rancors come to light when a woman arri...more
Published March 31st 2000 by Harvill Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sweetness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweetness

karen
Trav'ling lady, stay awhile
until the night is over.
I'm just a station on your way,
I know I'm not your lover.
Well I lived with a child of snow
when I was a soldier,
and I fought every man for her
until the nights grew colder.

She used to wear her hair like you
except when she was sleeping,
and then she'd weave it on a loom
of smoke and gold and breathing.

And why are you so quiet now
standing there in the doorway?
You chose your journey long before
you came upon this highway.

Trav'ling lady stay awhile
until
Joey
I picked this book up randomly from a mall kiosk selling used books. Definitely one of my better impulse buys. I found that this book almost had a fable-type aspect to it and I enjoyed that part of it very much. It is about two estranged brothers, both sick, but with polar opposite symptoms. The main character is a female lecturer trapped because of a snowstorm. She visits both brothers and they each tell their own version of their feud and the story of the woman that they both loved. I don't no...more
annik
И тут у нее между ног в дом проскользнула кошка:
— Значит, у тебя все-таки есть кошка, — сказала она.
— Она у меня всегда была, — отозвался он. — Ее зовут Минна. Она обычно спит у меня на коленях. А писает в меховую шапку за дверью. Я, пожалуй, ее убью.

Зима, горы, хутор на два дома. Два брата. У одного — рак, у другого — больное сердце. Оба при смерти, держатся только чтобы посмотреть как первым умрет другой, питаясь взаимной неприязнью. Между ними — южанка-писательница Катарина, застрявшая на ху...more
Kim
Imaginative and interesting as a concept, yet I ended up feeling like it went on for far too long (and it was only 160-something pages!). Maybe this is due to the fact that the characters never become more human, only more and more like grotesque legends. The salt brother and the sweet brother, after a life spent to try and spite the other, are now both dying but struggling to outlive the other. Their albino woman who gets taken by the sun, the grandfather collecting honey, the ditch/wall they w...more
Marco Kaye
Desolate and precisely told. Works like a fairy tale in that nothing feels out of place. Michael Haneke movie vibes. Story is about a lady writer who comes to deliver a lecture in a tiny tiny town in northern Sweden, and ends up living with a man who gives her lodging for the night, Hadar, in the last stages of cancer. Nearby lives Hadar’s brother, also dying but of heart disease. Therein lies the Lindgren, everyone is suffering.

The recipe, it seems, for a Lindgren novel is 1) Two ill men. 2) O...more
Adam
This deserves 3.5 stars. Sweetness is a good novel but ranks half a notch below other Lindgren books I've read. Here, Lindgren touches more on the grotesque than he usually does, and his fans will find it a must-read. However, I wouldn't recommend it as someone's first Lindgren book. Much better to start with Hash or the Merab's Beauty story collection.
Lena
Stranger than strange. Someone told me he was thinking of the Berlin Wall writing it. Love his way to make Sweden a strange and exotic place. I listen to his books, he reads them himself in swedish, and he is so so good.
Lorenzo Berardi
One of the most original things I've ever read, though Hummelhonung (Honey) is disturbing and difficult in its own way. There's a dangerous lack of human beings in the counterposition of two twin brothers in a remote corner of Sweden.

Like salt and sugar the two old brothers are impossibile to mix together and the only thing that keeps them alive is their reciprocal hate. Each of them has a lethargic, selfish and out of time life just aiming to survive to the long wished death of his twin.

Torgny...more
Carina Svensson
Blod, var, äckliga dofter och annat snusk. Mustigt norrländskt och effektfullt uppläst av författaren själv. Mycket bra!
Ffiamma
un angolo sperduto di svezia, il rapporto di amore/odio tra due fratelli uno grasso e uno magro - entrambi malati, una scrittrice che capita all'improvviso riportando equilibrio. il dolore, la malattia, il dolce e il salato, le vite dei santi, la morte e la storia che pian piano si ricompone. il grottesco esagerato che sazia subito, come un eccesso di miele.
Ruth Bonetti
Lindgren writes well, with evocative descriptions but about rather gruesome characters. Two brothers are holding out on death to outstay each other. A female lecturer is trapped by a snowstorm and during her stay hears both sides of a story which shows the bond of mutual loathing between brothers.
Arja
En lärorik historia om hur meningslöst hatet är och hur den äter upp en och tar över hela livet.-----
Jessica
have read most of this short novel but am not moved to finish it.
John
Nov 17, 2012 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Lindgren is different but in a nice change sort of way.
☯Bettie☯
Missing from the library description box above is the name of the translator, who is Tom Geddes.

Opening paragraph: After the lecture she was going to stay at a little guest-house, and would be moving on the next day. She had her clothes in the big bag with the shoulder strap, and all her personal effects in her briefcase; books, writing pad and pens.
Etna
что-то в этом есть...
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Akvile
Akvile added it
Jul 25, 2014
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
J. Swift
J. Swift marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Karolinalt
Karolinalt marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
♪Eleonora♪
♪Eleonora♪ marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Gustav Torgny Lindgren is a Swedish writer.
Lindgren is the son of Andreas Lindgren and Helga Björk. He studied in Umeå to become a teacher and worked as a teacher until the middle of the 1970s. He was for several years active as a local politician for the Swedish Social Democratic Party. In the 1980s he converted to the Catholic faith.
Lindgren began as a poet in 1965 but had to wait until 1982 for...more
More about Torgny Lindgren...
Hash The Way of a Serpent Dorés bibel Norrlands Akvavit Light