Start by marking “Swords of the Six” as Want to Read:
Swords of the Six

Swords of the Six (The Sword of the Dragon #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In ancient times a band of warriors escorted a young prince homeward. Only one warrior remained true. He watched helplessly as the others slew their young charge. Death seemed to claim him as well. But he awoke one thousand years later, brought back by the prophets of God to serve them once again as an invisible guardian. One of the prophets, an albino dragon, hatched huma ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Living Ink Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Swords of the Six, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swords of the Six

Amy
Aug 11, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Anything with a dragon on the cover is sure to catch my attention, and Swords of the Six was no exception. With dragons, witches, mermaids, battles for good and evil, and half dragon children, the draw of this book was too great for me to resist.

The sword of the six starts in the past where the White Dragon had a group of six men whom he trusted above all others. Unfortunately, five of them had their hearts darkened and turned, leaving only one faithful to the White Dragon. Soon, none were left
Nikki
I got this on Netgalley a while ago in exchange for an honest review. (Can you tell I'm trying to catch up?) I was a bit dubious about it from the start -- mostly I agreed to review it so I could tell my sister if it was any good: she loves anything involving dragons. But it's pretty much all that's bad about epic fantasy: overwritten, full of epic battle scenes that convey little plot and less emotion (because you haven't got to know the characters first).

It's not too rife with mistakes of a g
Susan Jones
Apr 04, 2016 Susan Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. I am reading this book and others, looking for good reading books for our summer reading program for our teens.
In ancient times a band of warriors escorted a young prince homeward. Only one warrior remained true. He watched helplessly as the others slew their young charge. Death seemed to claim him as well. But he awoke one thousand years later, brought back by the prophets of God to serve them once again as an invisible guardian. One of the prophets, an albino dragon, hatched human
Kristin
This book showed promise. It had a fairly interesting storyline and I almost hated to rate it so low because I'm drawn to fantasy. I adore dragons, mermaids and other mythical creatures so this book appealed to me on that aspect. However, I can't rate this book any higher due to the poor editing and mistakes that filled the pages. Book titles should not be spelled out like a middle school girl's My Space page. Writing like "tHis" does not make a cool title for a chapter header. There were also i ...more
Wendy
Mar 27, 2013 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
Originally posted at The BiblioSanctum:

I wanted a good old fashioned sword and sorcery and dragons fantasy novel and was immediately drawn to this, the first in The Sword of the Dragon series. I was intrigued by the idea of a dragon fathering six daughters in human form to avenge the innocent blood spilled a thousand years ago by the dragon's chosen. I was instantly swept up in the opening battle where mighty warriors clashed with sword and soul. I was impressed by the depth of emotion the origi
Rebekah Gyger
The beginning and end of this novel were EPIC! I loved them. The imagery is amazing and so easy to picture, just as it is through out the novel. There was just something great about the prologue especially.

That is where my praise ends. I don't know it was simply the draft I read and it was edited once more before publication, but things were just wrong. Certain things were repeated to where it was annoying, such as the location of the sisters' scabbards. Also, things would be referred to as 'the
Jake Scholl
May 28, 2012 Jake Scholl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Premise

The great Dragon Prophet's choicest warriors have turned their back on him, choosing the side of evil and slaying innocents. Now, a thousand years later, the blades are rusty from feeding on blood of innocent men. The Dragon Prophet senses evil is back, so he makes children, who are of dragon blood, but are in human form, to purify the swords and bring justice to the traitors.

Review

Want a good christian fantasy? This book is exactly that. Appleton's book shows great examples of self-sacri
Cindy
Mar 20, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. Many people try to write a novel like Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and really they don't succeed. While I know that wasn't the inspiration from it there is the same feeling to this book.

Appleton has a lot of talent. He writes so elegantly that it really surprised me how much I was into the story.

While this is considered "religious fantasy" I really think with the exception of a few areas that it really doesn't have that feeling. It's not pushing the
R.M. Lutz
Jul 06, 2015 R.M. Lutz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
A book filled with action and intriguing story building, Swords of the Six came up a little short on character development. I would recommend the book to anyone who likes Christian fantasy who doesn't mind narrative plot.
(Read more at my blog, thebookhoundchristianspecfic.blogspot.com)
Patrick
Nov 12, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was 12, and it was all the rage because the author lived in my town.
Nothing really special happens in our corner of Connecticut.
Although, looking back at it now, I don't think this book was directed for the younger pre-teen audience, and that might be why I couldn't fathom the book. I remember I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the book, with its sword fights and dragons. It was like the Avengers in the before time!

I think that I'm going to scavenge my bookshelf for t
Karlissa J.
Jan 08, 2016 Karlissa J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating world, described skillfully and vividly - tainted by great violence but overcome by even greater heroes.
Karen
Dec 08, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-fantasy
Interesting idea....? I feel bad criticizing an initial effort...but this REALLY felt like an initial effort. A lot of it was sort of painful to read. But, the idea, and the story helped me pull through. The analogies and 'lessons' were so contrived and blatant. And the dialogue was hard to feel. And, well, all in all, I just couldn't recommend it.
Brandon
Nov 05, 2014 Brandon rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
I'll admit I didn't finish the book. I was just so very turned off by the deus ex machina, poor character development, excessive characters, and poor plot line.
TheRose
Apr 20, 2009 TheRose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I was very pleased with this book. Not quite in the category of LOTR, but very good, especially since it is this young author's first work. I hope to see more from him and look forward to reading the next book in the series. Similar in style to Andrew Lang's fairy tales, but much more detailed.
Cana Elene (http://placeofreeds.blogspot.com)
I must say at first, I didn't really like the book. Then I began to connect with Dantress. She is a sweet, loving, selfless character who wants to follow the will of God and her father, the great dragon Albino. It is a wonderful story about redemption, love, and sacrifice.
Melissa
Feb 19, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, and am still in need of the rest in the series. Anyone who has read Eragon would enjoy this. Fantastic for Appleton's first published story! I can't wait to read more from him.
Steven Ede
Jul 14, 2013 Steven Ede rated it did not like it
Shelves: my-ebooks
It was, barely, ok, perhaps it is intended for a younger audience but i found it predictable and didn't enjoy the style.

There was no connection with any of the characters for me.
Alan
Good start of a new fantasy series. Longer review here: http://eyesandearsblog.blogspot.com/2...
Anna
Dec 07, 2014 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could not finish this book. It was way too complex and also rather boring.
Squeaks
Aug 17, 2013 Squeaks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book, wonderful tale, heart-crushing ending. I loved it :D
EmberLight
EmberLight rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Shelby Day
Shelby Day rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Tiffany Matthews
Tiffany Matthews marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Lewinna
Lewinna rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Ariane
Ariane is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
  • Masters & Slayers (Tales of Starlight, #1)
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • Truth (Makilien, #1)
  • The Wolf of Tebron (The Gates of Heaven, #1)
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • Blaggard's Moon (Prequel to the Trophy Chase Trilogy)
  • Dragons of the Valley (Valley of the Dragons, #2)
  • The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)
  • Father of Dragons (Binding of the Blade #4)
  • City in Ruins (Scribes of Medeisia, #4)
  • Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow (Codebearers, #1)
  • Dark Hunger (Demonborn #2)
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
Five novels published and more to come! I like fantastical fiction with intelligent content and deep morals. Husband, father of four terrifically creative kids, conservative Christian. Originally from Connecticut we now live in the Greenville, South Carolina area. I also love good biographies, books on theoretical science, astronomy, and history with a focus on ancient history.
More about Scott Appleton...

The Sword of the Dragon (3 books)
  • Offspring