Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy, #3)

Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  5,017 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Somewhere in a place so far up there is no down, a ship is waiting to take the nomes home - back to wherever they came from. And one nome, Masklin, knows that they've got to try and contact this ship.

It means getting to Florida (wherever that is), then getting to the launch of a communications satellite (whatever that is). A ridiculous plan. Impossible. But Masklin doesn't...more
Published September 1st 1991 by Corgi Childrens (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings

Qt
Just as good as the first two books!
Andrew
And so the adventure ends - and although I don't think any ending really would feel right for the intrepid band it does however make sense and for those who want closure it certainly gives than. This book to me loses some of the serious tones Diggers had and goes back to the rip roaring adventures of truckers - I think it works better for it though I am sure there are plenty out there who would disagree with me - but who cares. Its fun, its fast and in many places frivolous but most of all its e...more
Geert Daelemans
Wings brings the Bromeliad trilogy to a higher level

The task at hand for Masklin is very clear: find the Ship that will get the nomes away from Earth. But it should have been explained with a bit more detail. For starters: where is that Ship located? The Thing says that it is hidden somewhere in space, but that completely ignores that space turns out to be bigger than everything. At least Masklin has found out that there is a way to get into space. It's to be found in Florida. Now it is only a m...more
Jani
Terry Prattchet's trilogy comes to ending with Wings. Much like the earlier trilogy, and indeed much of Prattchet's whole career, it built around looking at the human society and its inventions from another point of view this time from the small vantage point of the tiny nomes. Of course it is also a fun adventure that dashes from one humorous and at times thought provoking encounter into another.

In the Second books of the trilogy, Diggers, the nome community split into two. Wings follows the se...more
Lorelei
I really enjoyed this book. I'm sure it's not for everyone. I stumbled upon the Bromeliad trilogy by accident, and found myself immediately carried away with Maskalen and the other gnomes. I love how this circles 'round to the ending. I am so glad that I found these books while some of my children are still young enough to really appreciate them.
JJ DeBenedictis
Bwaaah, this is a freakin' WONDERFUL book!

I've been a Pratchett fan for a few decades now, but I've never enjoyed his children's books quite as much as I have his adult books. However, this novel I LOVED.

In the best of Terry Pratchett's books, the story is engrossing, quick-paced, and funny, but every now and then, there is a moment so true or wise or relatable or wistful or horrifying or inspiring that you get sucker-punched with emotion. Wings does this too, but the moments are all on the ins...more
Theia
Aș da cu încredere unui copil cărțile lui Prachett.
Deși naiv, umorul e de bun gust; scrierea lejeră, curgătoare și plină de imagini. Un fel de scriere foarte vizuală.
Ar ieși o animație bună din trilogia asta :)
Chris
A story about gnomes looking for a home is actually a comment on how small our life can be without us really knowing. Pratchett argues for an exploration of your world, and even how it can be necessary to leave it.
Ketutar Jensen
This book gave me and my husband a "call" - when we are at the food store and "loose" each other, we'll just call "mip mip!" until one finds the other one :-)
I love it :-)
Greg
A great wrap-up for the series and one that will have you cheering for the nomes...
Lizzy B
Having read truckers and diggers I was expectant as I turned the first page of Wings. Actually, I was also a little hesitant, aware that it was the last in this mini-series, and therefore hoping it wouldn't spoil the wit and ingenuity of the bromelide trilogy. I needn't have worried. If anything, it picked back up and was better than the 2nd instalment.

Taking us upon the journey the small break away party took when they went to the airport, we get a real feel for the challenges of knome life. Y...more
Cristina Boncea
Ultima carte trebuia să fie strălucită/oare.

În carte sunt povestite lucrurile pe care Masklin, Strajă și Titirez le-au făcut în timpul volumului II și anume s-au dus în Florida, urmându-l pe nepotul Frațiilor Anrold (fondat în 1905), pentru a ajunge la Nava care îi va duce acasă, oriunde ar fi asta.
Nava avea să decoleze în scurt timp, iar cei trei călători au găsit diferite căi de a ajunge acolo la timp. Au cunoscut alți nomi și l-au luat pe unul dintre ei în călătoria lor, zburând pe gâște și a...more
Meo
It's almost as if PTerry had decided that, having started to write Comic Novels for grown-ups, he'd have to carry on doing so*, but he could be a bit cleverer when writing for children. I think I've commented before on some of the Philosophical bits in The Wee Free Men, and they are out in force in this book, with the Science vs Religion debate in full flow, moral ambiguity and the rights to ownership, and the meaning of what Space is. All these explored in a slim volume, whilst telling a funny...more
Deborah
This was actually the first of the three that I read, but it didn't matter, it was still funny and it still made sense, although I was aware that there was a chunk of story I'd missed. Just re-read it, this time after reading Truckers and Diggers, and it's still brilliant. I wish there were more stories about the Nomes - where did they go? Did they rescue all the others? I mean it ends at the start of a quest for goodness' sake - but at least there is plenty more TP.
Suzie
The trilogy involves a lot of discussion about religion, and for the most part it's 'religious' nomes being ridiculous. That's fine. I don't even mind the parts when they realize their "gods" aren't real, or when zealots do a bunch of damage to the group. I just really disliked a couple of cretinous lines about pink wobbly airplane food which "in some strange way managed to look like something you wouldn't eat even if it were pushed onto your plate after a week's starvation diet.... [It turns] u...more
Chris
The story of Masklin, Angelo and Gurder as they go to find the ship the nomes came to earth on over 1000 years ago. They arrive in Florida and find new nomes and suddenly their world begins to expand exponentially and they begin to question everything they ever believed in.

This trilogy uses the clever metaphor of frogs who live in the bromeliad plant who suddenly realise their world is much bigger than they thought. This book also uses the idea of symbiotic relationships, starting with the nomes...more
Jordan Truesdell
Okay, a bit of a sentimental ending, but still a nice finish to a cute series that makes for a nice afternoon read.
Sue
This is the last book of the Bromeliad trilogy, written for children. In this book, Masklin and two other nomes make their way to Florida so that their computer can communicate with a space shuttle...

Very well written, with some humour and lots of wry observations of life, typical of Pratchett. Most enjoyable, and a great end to the trilogy. Much best to have read the other two books (Truckers and Diggers) first as it would not make much sense without them. suitable to read to children from the...more
Steve
A fitting end to a fun trilogy. And it is what it is, it's a kid's trilogy (and I started it with my son, so I had to finish it). (To an adult reader, the trilogy compares to a single, lengthy book.) Both my boys liked the trilogy, so I'd recommend it for readers in the 10-15 range. And I'm a sucker for Pratchett generally - there are always gems sprinkled liberally throughout, although I much prefer the Discworld series. For slightly older kids, Maurice (one of my favorites) and the Tiffany Ach...more
Kimberley doruyter
fun for kids, but not for really for people of my age.
Susan Kent
Great end to a really good story. Shame there are not anymore.
Ileana Andreea
very very nice books, suitable both for kids and adults
Morag Gray
Most of the action in this story takes place alongside the action in "Diggers." It records the adventures of Masklin, Girder and Angalo as they seek Grandson 37, and ultimately a permanent home for the nomes. The results are surprising, leading to complete alterations of world views. Philosophical, theological and metaphysical questions are asked, spiced with Pratchett humour.

Stephen Briggs also voices the audio of thei book. It would be hard to better him.
Imma
A great tale... I want to know more about the nomes...
Travis
While Grimma and the rest of the nomes are trying to make the best of it in the quarry, Masklin, Angalo, and Gruder head to Florida with the Thing to try and get their spaceship back.[return][return]This was definitely the best of the three. Diggers suffers from middle book syndrome for sure. It was kind of slow and laggy. This was much more exciting. None of these were anywhere near as good as the Discworld stuff, but I did enjoy them a lot.
Patrick
Good conclusion to the story. Masklin and co's adventure to rescue themselves is funny and I love the way their preconceptions about themselves keep getting blown out of the water as they meet other Nomes. The Nomes with the stupid geese friends are great, the interaction with the Thing is great, and the extended Bromeliad metaphor is fabulous including the last line of the book. This was a fun, easy, satisfying series for me.
Anastasia
I love the science fiction conclusion to a great trilogy--everything is fulfilled here as the four inch high stars find the hope of home. The interspersed scenes about the rainforest frogs who live out their lives in a single flower coming to terms with the existence of another flower offer a perfect metaphor. Pratchett mocks our own perspective and self-centeredness in a gentle enough reminder to look outside our own little box.
Lee Pritchett
This was great fun to read. It was just as good as the first two books if not better. I think it was the most exciting book in the series and a great ending to the trilogy. The book held my attention really well all the way through. I liked the ending as it was very exciting and left a really strong sense that the story still carries on going when you've finished the book. This series is definitely worth a read.
Chere
I enjoyed this installment in The Bromeliad Trilogy as much as I did the other two, though I have to say nothing beats the first book! Still, it was another fun and exciting ride with the fascinating Nomes. I was a bit sad to see the book end though; I crave to read about more Nomish adventures!
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Tintin in the New World: A Romance
  • King and Emperor (Hammer and the Cross, #3)
  • Paint Your Dragon
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of2)
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel,...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)