Start by marking “Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy, #3)

Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  6,173 ratings  ·  119 reviews
Somewhere in a place so far up there is no down, a ship is waiting to take the nomes home - back to wherever they came from. And one nome, Masklin, knows that they've got to try and contact this ship.

It means getting to Florida (wherever that is), then getting to the launch of a communications satellite (whatever that is). A ridiculous plan. Impossible. But Masklin doesn't
Published September 1st 1991 by Corgi Childrens (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings

Just as good as the first two books!
And so the adventure ends - and although I don't think any ending really would feel right for the intrepid band it does however make sense and for those who want closure it certainly gives than. This book to me loses some of the serious tones Diggers had and goes back to the rip roaring adventures of truckers - I think it works better for it though I am sure there are plenty out there who would disagree with me - but who cares. Its fun, its fast and in many places frivolous but most of all its e ...more
Geert Daelemans
Wings brings the Bromeliad trilogy to a higher level

The task at hand for Masklin is very clear: find the Ship that will get the nomes away from Earth. But it should have been explained with a bit more detail. For starters: where is that Ship located? The Thing says that it is hidden somewhere in space, but that completely ignores that space turns out to be bigger than everything. At least Masklin has found out that there is a way to get into space. It's to be found in Florida. Now it is only a m
Paul Wardman
Oh where to begin. Hilarious, intelligent, thought provoking, a good end to a good story. In story I loved this.
There wasn't a moment in reading this where I wasn't completely enthralled. In fact I was actually sad to get to the end because I didn't want it to end.
A surprise favourite character was the Thing. For a device that started out as just something the outside nomes believed brought them luck it had so much personality. It was witty, clever, sarcastic and just like Pratchett's other cre
A nice conclusion to this trilogy. We find Masklin & company travelling on a plane and discovering more than they ever knew about humans and themselves in the process. They travel to Florida, travel on geese, & stumble upon more than they expected.

Thing was hilarious in this book. Quite sarcastic but understandably so. This book was funny an endearing. The innocence of the nomes mixed with the description of the humans reactions are pretty accurate.
miha ha
Super je !!! Opisuje odpravo v Floridio, kako tam srečajo floridijska gnomčke, letijo z gosmi in kako pokličejo svojo ladjo

pa zlo fini so vmesni deli o žabicah :) živijo celo živlenje v enih rožah visoko na drevesu, majo število za vse ena, tud za ena plus ena je ena, in imena za vse mip mip, hehe tok je fajn :)

Polno krasno zabavnih besednih iger in humorja, super serija

"This is a bit of the continent, sticking out into the warmer sea to the southeast. Most of its inhabitants call it Florida.
A slight but fast moving tale, and the conclusion to Pratchett's Bromeliad trilogy. Following on from TRUCKERS and DIGGERS, WINGS sees the further misadventures of the heroic nomes as they battle to stay alive and summon their spaceship to rescue them from planet Earth. While DIGGERS split the storyline and followed the adventures of the nomes who stayed behind at the quarry, this one follows a trio as they travel via plane to Florida, where they attempt to board a space shuttle.

It's my least fa
Terry Prattchet's trilogy comes to ending with Wings. Much like the earlier trilogy, and indeed much of Prattchet's whole career, it built around looking at the human society and its inventions from another point of view this time from the small vantage point of the tiny nomes. Of course it is also a fun adventure that dashes from one humorous and at times thought provoking encounter into another.

In the Second books of the trilogy, Diggers, the nome community split into two. Wings follows the se
Cynthia Egbert
This wrap up to the trilogy is definitely my favourite of the Bromeliad Trilogy. I love the idea of Nomes and especially I appreciate the way that the main character comes to see humans. If only we could see ourselves better. I also adore the way he finally was able to declare his love to the nome of his dreams. Here are the thoughts that portray the sentiments of these novels.

"I reckon," said Angalo, looking down, "that humans are just about intelligent enough to be crazy."
"I think," said Mask
I really enjoyed this book. I'm sure it's not for everyone. I stumbled upon the Bromeliad trilogy by accident, and found myself immediately carried away with Maskalen and the other gnomes. I love how this circles 'round to the ending. I am so glad that I found these books while some of my children are still young enough to really appreciate them.
JJ DeBenedictis
Bwaaah, this is a freakin' WONDERFUL book!

I've been a Pratchett fan for a few decades now, but I've never enjoyed his children's books quite as much as I have his adult books. However, this novel I LOVED.

In the best of Terry Pratchett's books, the story is engrossing, quick-paced, and funny, but every now and then, there is a moment so true or wise or relatable or wistful or horrifying or inspiring that you get sucker-punched with emotion. Wings does this too, but the moments are all on the ins
Sizes May Vary
Aș da cu încredere unui copil cărțile lui Prachett.
Deși naiv, umorul e de bun gust; scrierea lejeră, curgătoare și plină de imagini. Un fel de scriere foarte vizuală.
Ar ieși o animație bună din trilogia asta :)
A story about gnomes looking for a home is actually a comment on how small our life can be without us really knowing. Pratchett argues for an exploration of your world, and even how it can be necessary to leave it.
Ketutar Jensen
This book gave me and my husband a "call" - when we are at the food store and "loose" each other, we'll just call "mip mip!" until one finds the other one :-)
I love it :-)
A perfect ending to the trilogy, and a good example of how a running metaphor can enhance the entire story without making it feel like "literature." I found this one funnier than Diggers, though perhaps that's because Angalo and Gurder are such personalities it's hard not to giggle every time they're speaking. Or, in Angalo's case, driving (or more accurately, punching random buttons to make things go faster). This is more a companion to Diggers than a sequel, as it follows Masklin and co. durin ...more
A great wrap-up for the series and one that will have you cheering for the nomes...
Wallowing Hippo
Lizzy B
Having read truckers and diggers I was expectant as I turned the first page of Wings. Actually, I was also a little hesitant, aware that it was the last in this mini-series, and therefore hoping it wouldn't spoil the wit and ingenuity of the bromelide trilogy. I needn't have worried. If anything, it picked back up and was better than the 2nd instalment.

Taking us upon the journey the small break away party took when they went to the airport, we get a real feel for the challenges of knome life. Y
Cristina Boncea
Ultima carte trebuia să fie strălucită/oare.

În carte sunt povestite lucrurile pe care Masklin, Strajă și Titirez le-au făcut în timpul volumului II și anume s-au dus în Florida, urmându-l pe nepotul Frațiilor Anrold (fondat în 1905), pentru a ajunge la Nava care îi va duce acasă, oriunde ar fi asta.
Nava avea să decoleze în scurt timp, iar cei trei călători au găsit diferite căi de a ajunge acolo la timp. Au cunoscut alți nomi și l-au luat pe unul dintre ei în călătoria lor, zburând pe gâște și a
It's almost as if PTerry had decided that, having started to write Comic Novels for grown-ups, he'd have to carry on doing so*, but he could be a bit cleverer when writing for children. I think I've commented before on some of the Philosophical bits in The Wee Free Men, and they are out in force in this book, with the Science vs Religion debate in full flow, moral ambiguity and the rights to ownership, and the meaning of what Space is. All these explored in a slim volume, whilst telling a funny ...more
This was actually the first of the three that I read, but it didn't matter, it was still funny and it still made sense, although I was aware that there was a chunk of story I'd missed. Just re-read it, this time after reading Truckers and Diggers, and it's still brilliant. I wish there were more stories about the Nomes - where did they go? Did they rescue all the others? I mean it ends at the start of a quest for goodness' sake - but at least there is plenty more TP.
The trilogy involves a lot of discussion about religion, and for the most part it's 'religious' nomes being ridiculous. That's fine. I don't even mind the parts when they realize their "gods" aren't real, or when zealots do a bunch of damage to the group. I just really disliked a couple of cretinous lines about pink wobbly airplane food which "in some strange way managed to look like something you wouldn't eat even if it were pushed onto your plate after a week's starvation diet.... [It turns] u ...more
Ian Banks
"Not for the first time he wished he believed in something as much as Gurder did so he could complain to it about his life."

As they say on Tumblr, THIS! THIS! A thousand times, THIS! A damn near perfect conclusion to a wonderful trilogy. So much going on and all of it relevant and pertinent to the the story and the themes.
Cierre de la trilogía El Éxodo de los Gnomos de Terry Pratchet. En la que finalmente los gnomos descubren sus orígenes y la posibilidad de viajar por fin a su verdadero hogar. Gran cierre de esta magnifica trilogía.
A pleasant surprise after the last book. The humor was back, and there were some introduced, if not completely developed, bigger ideas.
The story of Masklin, Angelo and Gurder as they go to find the ship the nomes came to earth on over 1000 years ago. They arrive in Florida and find new nomes and suddenly their world begins to expand exponentially and they begin to question everything they ever believed in.

This trilogy uses the clever metaphor of frogs who live in the bromeliad plant who suddenly realise their world is much bigger than they thought. This book also uses the idea of symbiotic relationships, starting with the nomes
Jordan Truesdell
Okay, a bit of a sentimental ending, but still a nice finish to a cute series that makes for a nice afternoon read.
4.0 Stars

A satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, except where the heck did the nomes come from and what is their real back story?

Bottom line: Overall, I enjoyed it.
This is the last book of the Bromeliad trilogy, written for children. In this book, Masklin and two other nomes make their way to Florida so that their computer can communicate with a space shuttle...

Very well written, with some humour and lots of wry observations of life, typical of Pratchett. Most enjoyable, and a great end to the trilogy. Much best to have read the other two books (Truckers and Diggers) first as it would not make much sense without them. suitable to read to children from the
  • Knights Of Madness
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • You Can Be the Stainless Steel Rat
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II
  • Legends Volume 2
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • Paint Your Dragon

More about Terry Pratchett...

Bromeliad Trilogy (3 books)
  • Truckers: The First Book of the Nomes
  • Diggers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #2)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6)

“I told her we were going to get married, and all she could talk about was frogs.
She said there's these hills where it's hot and rains all the time, and in the rainforests there are these very tall trees and right in the top branches of the trees there are these like great big flowers called . . . bromeliads, I think, and water gets into the flowers and makes little pools and there's a type of frog that lays eggs in the pools and tadpoles hatch and grow into new frogs and these little frogs live their whole lives in the flowers right at the top of the trees and don't even know about the ground, and once you know the world is full of things like that, your life is never the same.”
“For some reason, humans needed things that weren't true.” 2 likes