Start by marking “Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy, #3)

Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy #3)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  7,266 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
'It wasn't a thing, it was a bit of shaped sky ...'

Somewhere in a place so far up there is no down, a ship is waiting to take the nomes home - back to wherever they came from. And one nome, Masklin, knows that they've got to try and contact this ship.

It means getting to Florida (wherever that is), then getting to the launch of a communications satellite (whatever that is).
Published January 1st 1992 by Corgi (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings

Mario
May 02, 2016 Mario rated it it was amazing
“I think,” said Masklin, “that maybe they’re intelligent enough to be lonely.”

Wings was definitely my favorite book of the series, but looking at the trilogy as a whole, it is more than amazing. I loved the world and the characters Pratchett created. And even though I've been reading this series for about a week or so, it was quite emotional to say goodbye to these amazing characters. This is definitely one of those series that I will definitely go back to and re-read, even more than once.
Qt
Dec 15, 2007 Qt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Just as good as the first two books!
Andrew
Oct 10, 2013 Andrew rated it it was amazing
And so the adventure ends - and although I don't think any ending really would feel right for the intrepid band it does however make sense and for those who want closure it certainly gives than. This book to me loses some of the serious tones Diggers had and goes back to the rip roaring adventures of truckers - I think it works better for it though I am sure there are plenty out there who would disagree with me - but who cares. Its fun, its fast and in many places frivolous but most of all its ...more
Geert Daelemans
Aug 22, 2013 Geert Daelemans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeugd, fantasy, humour
Wings brings the Bromeliad trilogy to a higher level

The task at hand for Masklin is very clear: find the Ship that will get the nomes away from Earth. But it should have been explained with a bit more detail. For starters: where is that Ship located? The Thing says that it is hidden somewhere in space, but that completely ignores that space turns out to be bigger than everything. At least Masklin has found out that there is a way to get into space. It's to be found in Florida. Now it is only a m
Saoirse Sterling
[Quick, short review from memory before I re-read and review fully:

Oh. Surprised at the lower rating for this one. Again, with a book from a series it's hard to judge what I can and can't remember from the specific book. General plotlines throughout but singularly nothing. The lower rating is intriguing, however. Only 3?]
Tatjana
Jan 28, 2016 Tatjana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Najbolja od sve tri.
Ondřej Puczok
Sep 24, 2016 Ondřej Puczok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asi nejpovedenější díl trilogie. Nejvíc nómů, nejvíc nápadů a nejvíc konfrontace s lidmi. A co teprve s "mípmípmíp" ;-)
Rachel
Jul 17, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a flower, so the story goes, at the top of a tree, that is so huge that it collects rainwater like a pond. And there is a species of frogs so tiny that for them, that flower is their entire world. So goes the concluding book of the Bromeliad trilogy. My favourite out of the series, this elevates the nomes trilogy to more than just a children's series. There is growth and maturity in the characters, one which is easily glossed over by the humour, but leaves the reader with a new ...more
Trish
Oct 01, 2015 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice conclusion to this trilogy. We find Masklin & company travelling on a plane and discovering more than they ever knew about humans and themselves in the process. They travel to Florida, travel on geese, & stumble upon more than they expected.

Thing was hilarious in this book. Quite sarcastic but understandably so. This book was funny an endearing. The innocence of the nomes mixed with the description of the humans reactions are pretty accurate.
Lorelei
Apr 06, 2016 Lorelei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, childrens
I really enjoyed this book. I'm sure it's not for everyone. I stumbled upon the Bromeliad trilogy by accident, and found myself immediately carried away with Maskalen and the other gnomes. I love how this circles 'round to the ending. I am so glad that I found these books while some of my children are still young enough to really appreciate them.
Chris
A story about gnomes looking for a home is actually a comment on how small our life can be without us really knowing. Pratchett argues for an exploration of your world, and even how it can be necessary to leave it.
Dan
Mar 09, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A New Favorite Author

When Terry Pratchett died earlier this year, I had wondered what I was missing...there was A LOT of love thrown his way. Now I know. This is good, good stuff. I wish I'd found it sooner.
Ketutar Jensen
Mar 03, 2009 Ketutar Jensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me and my husband a "call" - when we are at the food store and "loose" each other, we'll just call "mip mip!" until one finds the other one :-)
I love it :-)
Adriana
Mar 26, 2016 Adriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really sweet ending to the Bromeliad Trilogy. It kind of reminded me a bit of the Hitchhikers Guide series... but really kid friendly.
Emma
Jan 25, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing
Just pure brilliance. The whole trilogy is genius. Read these so many times but never fails to make me smile. :) This right here is how I fell in love with Terry Pratchett.
Greg
A great wrap-up for the series and one that will have you cheering for the nomes...
Reena Purret
Nov 09, 2016 Reena Purret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really simple and really enjoyable, the whole trilogy was awesome.
Ellie
Oct 05, 2016 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, fantasy
Terry Pratchett nails it once again - what a fantastic book!

I love the clever points he makes using the nomes literal mindedness - drawing attention to strange things that are considered normal or ideas that humans believe despite having no good reason to, etc.

My favourite parts are when Thing and the nomes interact - there are some hilarious lines. I read it on the bus and laughed so much that I got some really strange looks.

I definitely recommend this series to everyone.
Ryan Barretto
Oct 05, 2016 Ryan Barretto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final installment of the Trilogy... extremely enjoyable, cute characters, and so relevant to our life.
Jasmine
Nov 17, 2016 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terry Pratchett

Is there any surprise that I found myself in a Terry Pratchett novel (or rather trilogy)? I will save you, my generous reader, from my adoration of Terry Pratchett and attempt to write a review that is more than accolades for Pratchett and the blind that I always find when I read his novels.

This series is referred to as a children's novel, but it is a children's novel only in the sense that a child could read and enjoy the story. There is much more depth to this story than we hav
Emilio
Feb 19, 2016 Emilio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Una trilogía de aventuras, con una ambientación para niños y sátira para adultos.

Pratchett, autor conocido por crear libros en los que sale un baúl con muchas piernas y dientes, nos ofrece una trilogía compuesta de tres novelas cortas sobre la historia de unos nomos que viven en la Tierra y que viven la vida a un ritmo diferente al nuestro.

La primera novela es, a grandes rasgos, una introducción a la psicología nomos, a cómo entienden el mundo y cómo se desenvuelven en él. Las dos siguientes son
Lizzy B
Jul 03, 2012 Lizzy B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humour, fantasy, teen
Having read truckers and diggers I was expectant as I turned the first page of Wings. Actually, I was also a little hesitant, aware that it was the last in this mini-series, and therefore hoping it wouldn't spoil the wit and ingenuity of the bromelide trilogy. I needn't have worried. If anything, it picked back up and was better than the 2nd instalment.

Taking us upon the journey the small break away party took when they went to the airport, we get a real feel for the challenges of knome life. Y
Jani
Jun 03, 2014 Jani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terry Prattchet's trilogy comes to ending with Wings. Much like the earlier trilogy, and indeed much of Prattchet's whole career, it built around looking at the human society and its inventions from another point of view this time from the small vantage point of the tiny nomes. Of course it is also a fun adventure that dashes from one humorous and at times thought provoking encounter into another.

In the Second books of the trilogy, Diggers, the nome community split into two. Wings follows the se
JJ DeBenedictis
Jun 20, 2014 JJ DeBenedictis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bwaaah, this is a freakin' WONDERFUL book!

I've been a Pratchett fan for a few decades now, but I've never enjoyed his children's books quite as much as I have his adult books. However, this novel I LOVED.

In the best of Terry Pratchett's books, the story is engrossing, quick-paced, and funny, but every now and then, there is a moment so true or wise or relatable or wistful or horrifying or inspiring that you get sucker-punched with emotion. Wings does this too, but the moments are all on the ins
miha ha
Jun 11, 2015 miha ha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super je !!! Opisuje odpravo v Floridio, kako tam srečajo floridijska gnomčke, letijo z gosmi in kako pokličejo svojo ladjo

pa zlo fini so vmesni deli o žabicah :) živijo celo živlenje v enih rožah visoko na drevesu, majo število za vse ena, tud za ena plus ena je ena, in imena za vse mip mip, hehe tok je fajn :)

Polno krasno zabavnih besednih iger in humorja, super serija

"This is a bit of the continent, sticking out into the warmer sea to the southeast. Most of its inhabitants call it Florida.
A
Wallowing Hippo
Apr 06, 2015 Wallowing Hippo rated it really liked it
Paul Wardman
Jul 15, 2015 Paul Wardman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh where to begin. Hilarious, intelligent, thought provoking, a good end to a good story. In story I loved this.
There wasn't a moment in reading this where I wasn't completely enthralled. In fact I was actually sad to get to the end because I didn't want it to end.
A surprise favourite character was the Thing. For a device that started out as just something the outside nomes believed brought them luck it had so much personality. It was witty, clever, sarcastic and just like Pratchett's other cre
Meo
Jun 21, 2012 Meo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
It's almost as if PTerry had decided that, having started to write Comic Novels for grown-ups, he'd have to carry on doing so*, but he could be a bit cleverer when writing for children. I think I've commented before on some of the Philosophical bits in The Wee Free Men, and they are out in force in this book, with the Science vs Religion debate in full flow, moral ambiguity and the rights to ownership, and the meaning of what Space is. All these explored in a slim volume, whilst telling a funny ...more
Cristina Boncea
Nov 16, 2014 Cristina Boncea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-series
Ultima carte trebuia să fie strălucită/oare.

În carte sunt povestite lucrurile pe care Masklin, Strajă și Titirez le-au făcut în timpul volumului II și anume s-au dus în Florida, urmându-l pe nepotul Frațiilor Anrold (fondat în 1905), pentru a ajunge la Nava care îi va duce acasă, oriunde ar fi asta.
Nava avea să decoleze în scurt timp, iar cei trei călători au găsit diferite căi de a ajunge acolo la timp. Au cunoscut alți nomi și l-au luat pe unul dintre ei în călătoria lor, zburând pe gâște și a
Graham
Apr 13, 2015 Graham rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A slight but fast moving tale, and the conclusion to Pratchett's Bromeliad trilogy. Following on from TRUCKERS and DIGGERS, WINGS sees the further misadventures of the heroic nomes as they battle to stay alive and summon their spaceship to rescue them from planet Earth. While DIGGERS split the storyline and followed the adventures of the nomes who stayed behind at the quarry, this one follows a trio as they travel via plane to Florida, where they attempt to board a space shuttle.

It's my least fa
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • My Hero
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II
  • Knights Of Madness
  • Footrot Flats 1 (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • You Can Be the Stainless Steel Rat
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Tintin in the New World
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1955-1958
  • A Dog Called Demolition
  • The Boys Book
  • Here Comes Garfield

More about Terry Pratchett...

Bromeliad Trilogy (3 books)
  • Truckers: The First Book of the Nomes
  • Diggers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #2)

“I told her we were going to get married, and all she could talk about was frogs.
She said there's these hills where it's hot and rains all the time, and in the rainforests there are these very tall trees and right in the top branches of the trees there are these like great big flowers called . . . bromeliads, I think, and water gets into the flowers and makes little pools and there's a type of frog that lays eggs in the pools and tadpoles hatch and grow into new frogs and these little frogs live their whole lives in the flowers right at the top of the trees and don't even know about the ground, and once you know the world is full of things like that, your life is never the same.”
9 likes