Start by marking “The Death of Chaos” as Want to Read:
The Death of Chaos

The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  7,313 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews

Lerris has settled into being a woodworker and building a life with Krystal. But this newfound peace is endangered when both Candar and Recluce come under the threat of invasion from the Empire of Hamor. Despite the imminent possibility of destruction, the lands of Candar will not unite and Recluce will not heed the peril. Lerris is faced with the challenge of becoming the

Published April 1st 2010 by Tor Fantasy (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of Chaos

Richard Tran
Jeremy Preacher
Reading this back-to-back with The Magic of Recluse (which it follows directly in the internal chronology, but is separated by three other books in the publication order) really both shows up how unusually weak Magic of Recluse is and how much the series developed over the course of a couple of books.

Most of the writing flaws are greatly mitigated. The onomatopoeia is still present, but as an occasional touch of flavor rather than a method of communicating action - this is much less jarring. Ler
Nichole
May 24, 2011 Nichole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed another journey with Lerris. I enjoy the writing style and while some complain about story lines being too similar I don't agree. Another great book in my opinion and one of my favorites so far.
Mary Soon Lee
Dec 27, 2016 Mary Soon Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This fifth book in "The Saga of Recluce" returns to the story of Lerris, the main character in the first book. I thought it slightly below the usual standard for Modesitt's fantasies ... which means I enjoyed it a lot. Lerris is a very likable character, trying very hard to do the best he can. I found the minor thread to do with Lerris and his parents particularly effective, and was moved by such a seemingly small thing as whether or not Lerris would send them a letter.

I note that Justen, the pr
Donna Brown
Nov 14, 2016 Donna Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Love, love, love this series and will continue reading until I've finished every single book. Balance is the key to everything and its amazing what happens when their is too much chaos or too much order. You can apply the principle to life which makes this so interesting.
joseph w. kincaid
Mar 16, 2017 joseph w. kincaid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riveting!

Another masterpiece in the Recluse Saga! One of his longest creations to date, you will not likely read it in a weekend...or even a week. I would find myself engrossed well past my bedtime (and not just a little grumpy at work the next day!). Now, finally, I'll be able to catch up on my lost sleep! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! ☺
Chip Hunter
Dec 31, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Death of Chaos, the story of Lerris, Justen, Krystal, Tamra and the other exiles of recluce comes full circle. The story line was great, with lots of awesome battle scenes and crazy magic preformed by black, white, and gray wizards. The story culminates with Hamor attacking Candar and Recluce with a massive fleet of battleships and cannon.
Not only the story line makes this the best book in the series thus far. The characters are lovable and believable, while at the same time completely ba
C.S. Zahn
Feb 21, 2017 C.S. Zahn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner from L.E. Modesitt
Eric Moreno
Nov 02, 2010 Eric Moreno rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mick
Oct 26, 2011 Mick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Modesitt's fantasy world creations. Though not normally a sci-fi fan, I enjoy his sci-fi books as well. I have read many reviews that find his writing predictable, but to me he has an amazing way of building the world and staying consistent with the rules of magic and the historical background that he builds on book by book.
A complaint I had at first was that each character only had one book. He has since expanded that out to two to three and I love how the characters develop.
The
Ryan
Sep 03, 2015 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a sequel to the first.
I was curious to what will happen to the "hero" of this story.
After this, I believe I wouldn't be able to see the characters.

What can I say...

Well, there will be a lot of reference to Lerris as hero, by his consort, and many others.
A number of times that it got annoying.
Unlike the first, this involved many characters.
A lot of dying and sadness.
A lot of questions, as to be expected.
An interesting start, as Lerris show us the day to day activity after his victory
Rachel-Anne 'McWitty' Ely
When you read several books by the same author in a row, you start to notice certain trends that may not have jumped out at you previously.

I really have enjoyed Modesitt's Recluce series, but I'm having a bit of an issue with the way he portrays women in relationships. Over and again, they're cold, bitter, shrewish bitches that just don't understand the poor guy they're involved romantically with. He manages to make the men look just as terrible, but honestly.. it tends to fall squarely on the '
Chris Pacheco
Dec 10, 2013 Chris Pacheco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always knew Modesitt was this shit, but this book just put some extra stink on my opinion. After the fourth book i realized that i didn't much care for either order or chaos, on account of there being a bunch of chump ass bitches behind both sides. The death of Chaos just confirms that fact. I'm not sure why L.E. decided that this was going to be the Fifth book in a series that has encompassed more than 10 novels, but I'm not sure i know where he's going to go with it. Lerris kinda puts everyo ...more
Jasraj Sandhu
Aug 14, 2013 Jasraj Sandhu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A worthwhile conclusion to the 1st arc in the Saga of Recluce where I find the a good measure of closure as well as understanding of the grand order-chaos balance that Modesitt so methodologically built since the first book.

After taking the readers from the confused beginnings of Lerris to his first accomplishments as a wizard-crafter through a journey back to the founding of Recluce and the great characters that have achieved great deeds in the history of Recluce, not without the difficult und
Kurtbg
Book 5 in the series and the follow-up to book 1. we once again catch up with Lerris, a slowly dulling black order mage who has a history of offing white order wizards and making well-crafted furniture.

Once again the force of order and chaos clash (and all the vagaries between) and Lerris is once again needed to right the swelling wrongs.

If you've made it this far into the Recluce seris you'll enjoy this book.
If you're new, then you should at least first pick up the Magic of Recluce first, but
MarsianMan
Mar 21, 2010 MarsianMan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Myles Harrold
Sep 02, 2013 Myles Harrold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy
I liked this book. I still feel that there is a little repetiveness in these Recluce books, but this one was good because it continued a storyline that started the whole series. I can finally see the possibilities for 18 or more books in this series and all the different places the books may take us.
DaveA
Feb 06, 2014 DaveA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Much like the rest of Modesitt. Most of his books spend a of of time travelling, eating hard cheese and bread, and having battles that last a few paragraphs. This book has a couple of batles that last for a few pages, but they still seem short. Maybe one day I'll tire of Modesit, but, for now, I'm still planing on reading the next one!
HeyT
Dec 24, 2010 HeyT rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This has to be my least favorite in the Recluse series so far. Although the fifth in the series it is, at least plot-wise, a direct sequel to the first. I can't quite put my finger on what irks me but I think in part it has all the elements of the first but none of the magic that made the first such an enjoyable reading experience.
Kerry
Nov 13, 2016 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published 1995. Modesitt, Jr continues to show progress in his writing in this series but there is little differentiation between this and the prior one. While not high energy it has a slow building plot that is sufficient enough to keep ones casual interest. I have one final volume in this series I acquired and sooner or later I will read it but probably not go on from there.
Jeremy
Apr 13, 2010 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
just ok. many of the recluse novels have run together in my mind. the characters aren't so two dimensional that i would label them stock characters, but their development often seems forced. several characters are essentially the same as another character except with a different name and a different magical focus.
Kathi
Mar 23, 2016 Kathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book featured Lerris, my least favorite of the Recluce mages we have met so far in the series. He was introduced in the first book. The intervening books books filled in past history to bring us back to the time of Lerris, who does mature in both his crafts. This book does a good job of tying things together and showing how seemingly disparate parts of the overall story fit together.
Greg Strandberg
Apr 21, 2013 Greg Strandberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What I liked about this book is that we got back to some of the original characters. This was the last book I read in this series. I was intending to take a break, and it turned into forever now. Still, this is a great series and I'd pick up Book 1.
Bob
Aug 11, 2014 Bob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one is a struggle. The first half of the book seems to wander from potential topic to maybe conflict. The final battle never really seems to get going and then, poof, it's done and something important happened.

It's still not a bad read. I call it "ok."
Mark
Feb 21, 2010 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Modesitt is a very...consistent writer. There's nothing wrong with this book, but if you have read any other in the Recluce series this adds very little. (His sf novels tend to be a cut above his fantasy novels.)
Brian Beahan
I really liked the few of these that I've read, but this one was hard to finish. it seemed like the climaxes were too anticlimactic and there was too much discussion of feelings and little showing of feelings. needless to say I'd stay away unless your a fast reader or just don't really care.
Fredrick Danysh
The countries of Hamor are at war as one ruler sets forth on conquest of the entire continent. The only things standing in his way are the woodworking mage Lerris and the wizards of Recluse. Full of action.
Gordon
Finally the series starts coming into its own. It took a lot of build up but for that last 100 pages everything snaps into focus from all the lead up and the action is intense and just enough with then ending being heart wrenching. Great book
Brian Chafin
Apr 11, 2015 Brian Chafin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three good books for the price of one

This is quite a long book, divided into three sections that can almost stand on their own. Despite the length, the pace rarely falters. The resolutions to both the internal and external are well written and powerful.
Jason
Mar 30, 2009 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I feel compelled to keep reading this series. There's almost no originality from book to book, and the ideas being presented don't make any sense.
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • The Perfect Princess
  • Tanequil (High Druid of Shannara, #2)
  • The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)
  • Fortress of Dragons (Fortress, #4)
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • Upland Outlaws (A Handful of Men, #2)
  • Forging the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #1)
  • The Last of the Renshai (Renshai Trilogy, #1)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)