A Necessary Heir (Alter Ego #1)

A Necessary Heir (Alter Ego #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A case of mistaken identity;

Shunned by the majority of people she meets due to her illegitimacy, Abigail Gibbons is grateful when she's summoned from school by the Earl of Waterford to become his wife's paid companion. But unbeknownst to Abigail, the earl passes, leaving Abigail's uncertain future in his grandson, Jackson Danvers, bone-meltingly handsome hands. Upon meeti...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by La Hilden (first published October 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Necessary Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Necessary Heir

Kaitlin
Recently, I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I was very excited and rightly so. This was an amazing book! I found myself constantly wanting to read it because there was always something interesting going on. I also loved how even though some of the characters wallowed in self pity for a while, they were able to overcome it and allowed themselves to be happy. This was an awesome book and I highly recommend it!
Nicole
Abigail Gibbons grew up with the stigma of being illegitimate. Not only was she born out of wedlock, she has no clue who her father is. In the time period she lives in, this is a major flaw, one that causes her to be an outcast. When she meets and falls in love with Jackson Danvers, the new Earl of Waterford, she fears her illegitimacy will keep him from being accepted into society if they marry. Then she finds out that the late Earl of Waterford switched Abigail and Jackson at birth in order to...more
Tiffany Higgins
A Necessary Heir by L.A. Hilden was a fantastic read. I am partial to historic fiction. I love reading about the London elite falling in love. This story did not disappoint. The entire process of falling in love, marrying and all the trials and tribulations that go with it were laid out in full. The only thing this book left to me wanting is more. I wish that it could go on forever. However, that cannot be.
Unlike your typical historic romances where the handsome aristocrat seduces the young gir...more
L. Gibbs
This is the second book I have read by L.A. Hilden and my favorite of the two. I found all the characters were well designed. Even the dead grandfather had a defined, controlling personality that came through in how other characters viewed him and how he affected the other characters through his earlier actions. One aspect of the plot which I really enjoyed was the subplot of parentage and how it evolved throughout the novel and continued to hold my curiosity. I could not stop wondering who was...more
Valerie Roberts
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway, and I appreciated having a new book to read during a recent long road trip. It was an entertaining story, and I enjoyed it. I did, however, find the premise of the book rather implausible, the love scenes a little racy for my taste, and some of the dialogue too modern for the setting of the book. A Necessary Heir is closer to a Harlequin romance than the more serious historical novels that I prefer, hence the three stars. If you're into more of...more
Kimberly
I won this book through the First Reads give away contest. It was a good story that made me want to find out what was going to happen next. The reason I didn't give it a higher rating, though, was because it was a little too racy for me. I don't think those explicit scenes were necessary to the story. It would have been great without them! I wish I could share this book with my daughter because it was basically a good story.
Joan
I purchased this book as I won the second book in the Alter Ego series, Born Reckless, on Goodreads. This is a one sitting grab you and don't let go book. The characters are so personable you can't help but sympathize with their trials and cheer for their triumphs. Even the most despicable acts of the Grandfather are understood if not totally forgiven by the happy ending. This book is a wonderful escape to another reality.
Emily
I did quite enjoy this book. It was a nice light read, which is exactly what I want when I get home from work actually get a chance to read. War and Peace may be a great piece of literature but which would you rather read after working a full day?

The only thing that really bothered me was the person on the front cover was wearing the wrong era of clothing (yes I am one of those people).
Meredith
A quick read and not too bad; I think the set-up (the deceased Earl's essential kidnap of a male child to replace his female granddaughter) was a bit implausible and the story ends well, with no real lasting consequences, but otherwise it's a fun read.
Niki
Good. I enjoyed it.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2013
Pretty Little Liar
Pretty Little Liar marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2012
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2012
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2012
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2012
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
May 10, 2012
Guadalupe
Guadalupe marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2012
Dani Alexis
Dani Alexis marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2012
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2012
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2012
Melania
Melania marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2011
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2011
Kit★
Kit★ added it
Jun 02, 2012
Aditya /
Aditya / marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Authors...: Back Cover Blurb 12 40 Mar 30, 2013 05:44PM
Goodreads Author ...: Back cover Blurb 18 50 Mar 26, 2013 07:12AM
The Book Addicts!: Back Cover Blurb 5 19 Mar 25, 2013 05:11PM
Goodreads Authors...: Question about book I'm editing 19 231 Mar 21, 2013 08:19AM
Writerpedia: Question about my edit 1 6 Nov 26, 2012 07:06AM
Goodreads Authors...: Reading Fiction 4 17 Nov 16, 2012 01:35PM
Writing 1 1 Aug 02, 2012 12:00PM
Author of Historical and Time Travel Romance
More about L.A. Hilden...
London's Quest (Destiny series #1) Born Reckless (Alter Ego #2) The Perfect Suitor (Bewildering Love #1) Desirea's Escape (Destiny Series, #2) The Vengeful Earl (Bewildering Love #2)