Start by marking “Once Upon a Surrogate: The Stork's Helpers” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Surrogate: The Stork's Helpers

Once Upon a Surrogate: The Stork's Helpers

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Have you ever wondered what is like to be a surrogate mom? Jill Hancock Reeder describes what it is like to be a “helper”- a stork if you will in children’s terms. Jill has been a surrogate before. She knows what it is like. Illustrations for the book are created by none other than her own children! It is simply beautiful!

If you or your children have ever wondered what is
Paperback
Published 2010

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Surrogate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Surrogate

Inspired Kathy
First off I'm in awe of anyone who is willing to be a surrogate mother. I've had 5 children and being pregnant is no picnic in the park. Delivering those babies was an amazing experience but not one I would long to repeat. Author Jill Hancock Reeder has been a surrogate 3 times, one of those times was for twins. What a selfless act of service to carry a child for someone who can't have one.

Once Upon a Surrogate: The Stork's Helper was illustrated by Jill's daughters. This book explains what a su
Shalise Benjamin
This book was darling, I love the interpretation from a child's point of view- what a miracle this family has provided for a few families, coming from myself who has had 6 pregnancies with two living children who were premature- my chances of carrying a baby to term w/o the danger of myself reflects the amazement that Jill has given to another women. WOW!!! I think she is wonderful and she should be given a high 5 for the selfless act. Very cute pictures too :)
Lauren Florzak
My kids really loved this book and the illustrations. They are 5,4,and 2 so there was still a little bit more to explain but overall it made it much easier on me :) I love how the story was about a stork and that way we didn't have to do more explaining about babies... I am so glad I won this book. It is a great addition to our bookshelf.
Emily
Such a lovely book about surrogacy, explaining the process to children. I love the fact that the illustrations are done by the author's very talented daughters. Would highly recommend!
Marisa
I won this through First Reads. Once Upon a Surrogate is a cute idea; especially since the author's daughters helped with the illustrations.
Tanya
Overall, a sweet children's book explaining surrogacy. My children are 1 and 3, so a bit small to understand.
Christine
May 07, 2011 Christine marked it as to-read
Looking forward to reading this because my children were born through surrogacy....
Cheryl
Feb 02, 2011 Cheryl marked it as interesting-possibilities
Recommended to Cheryl by: First Reads
Children's book on surrogacy. Illustrations by the author's own children.
Jennifer McFadden
Very sweet story about helping a couple become a family.
Tami
I had the pleasure of reading Once Upon a Surrogate: The Stork's Helpers written by Jill Hancock Reeder. First off, let me tell you that I have a lot of respect for surrogates. I adopted both of my children. For someone to give up nine months of their life carrying a child for someone is beyond magical to me. I think that Jill has done something truly amazing with her life and blessed someone else's life.

I decided because my kids were adopted that my daughter would read it with me. Let me tell y
Helen Messerschmidt
Helen Messerschmidt marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Rachael Romano
Rachael Romano marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Emily Rari
Emily Rari marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Nguyenquoctrung
Nguyenquoctrung marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Hwee Shiow
Hwee Shiow marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Danielle Giovino
Danielle Giovino marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Jar
Jar marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Sybs
Sybs marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Amanda Nimmo-valdez
Amanda Nimmo-valdez marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Tracey Golowski
Tracey Golowski marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Lyndsey
Lyndsey marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Kailey Owen
Kailey Owen marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Gwen Vanderheyden
Gwen Vanderheyden marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I'm a "Reeder" and a writer, kind of punny too at times.
I wrote my first children's book ( Once Upon a Surrogate: The Stork's Helpers) which I self-published in 2010. My daughters helped me illustrate it and it's received positive feedback.
As of March 2012, I am currently submitting my next manuscript for publication. (another children's book) I have also begun writing a Young Adult Novel. In my s
More about Jill Hancock Reeder...