Start by marking “A Young Girl's Diary” as Want to Read:
A Young Girl's Diary

A Young Girl's Diary

This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into pri ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by MobileReference (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about A Young Girl's Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Young Girl's Diary

Christine Murdock
Interesting...I thought it would be nice to compare it to Anne Frank's diary. Re-kindled my desire to write and keep track of the going on's in my life. Perhaps in 100 years someone would read my day to day life? They might even say.."interesting?"
Renee Robinson
 A Young Girl's Diary (Kindle Edition), Sigmond Freud
I feel it is important to keep history alive. There is an expression "history repeats itself". This is one perfect example why this era must never be forgotten and (pray to God) never repeated. I have read many books from this period.
The Diary of Anne Frank which is an exceptional diary kept by a young girl who tried to make the best of a horrible lifetime. Clearly, she did not truly understand what was happening,but she knew it was dangerous.
Kitty with Curls
May 23, 2009 Kitty with Curls rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who liked Anaïs Nin's early diaries
I found this book really fascinating, although I have trouble believing that it was unedited before publication. An interesting historical document.
Mark Dewey
I didn't read this from the psychological perspective that people who study Freud might have. Consequently, I probably had a much better experience.

If you read the book from start to finish, believing it's true (and I don't see any real reason to believe it's not—seeming consonance with Freud's theories is hardly enough to discredit it or even arouse noteworthy suspicion, unless Freud is already known for being dishonorable; however, I'm not a follower of Freud's theories). The diary isn't all a
Miranda Frey-myers
Rather dull

Rather dull

It was interesting to get a glimpse of day to day life back then but was a bit boring. the abbreviations for names were confusing and the ending very abrupt.
dara
Feb 07, 2010 dara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so interesting reading a young girl diary, her dream, her life, her obsession. witty
Mon Maryum
Nov 16, 2016 Mon Maryum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not the Anne Frank's one but once I reread this again, I will give a more proper review :)
Lasheka M
A horrible ending. I would have liked to read of her struggles. Her father died not her, she was still a child .did stop writing.

I liked the whole story, but the ending was not so great..I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, disappointing ending. Really
Josh Meares
This is the diary of Rita, a young, 19th century, aristocratic German girl. It was published by Sigmund Freud and it is quite possibly a forgery (because of the anonymity of the author and the consonance with many of Freud's theories). Rita writes in her diary almost daily from the age of eleven until she is fourteen and a half. Her diary is mostly concerned with the inanities of youth.

The main interest of Rita and all of her friends in this book from halfway through her eleventh year on is sex
Taylor Bartlett
Aug 09, 2016 Taylor Bartlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, whether fictional or not.
I do have to be honest though and question whether or not this is a genuin diary or a fake created by a psychoanalyst.
A few things make me question this book.
1, Why would they refuse to say who the diary was from, if it was a genuin document actually written by a genuin person?
2, And very importantly, why would they remove the year from the various entries. You can see that on the very first entry it says July 12th 19... Now isn't this mea
Rish
Mar 31, 2016 Rish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began reading this thinking it was Anne Frank's - The Diary of a Young Girl. Stupidly, I only realized I had the wrong book after reading the entire diary and finding no mention of Nazi occupation or the secret annex.
I guess I probably would have given the book/diary a 4/5 stars until I started reading about it was possibly not genuine. Thinking about it now - I agree that this is the case. For instance, Rita seems overly in love with one of her teachers despite them not having any real relat
Tom
The title says it all. This is the diary of a young girl. It covers her life from age 11 to 14-1/2.

Grete (Rita, to her friends) is the youngest in a fairly well-off family in Vienna. Her father is a judge, or something similar. Rita's best friend is Hella, and the two decide to keep diaries.

The time is the early part of the 20th Century, prior to World War 1, and Rita and Hella show a naïvete that makes the von Trapp girls look like the Kardashians.

I've read a decent amount of contemporary YA f
Nia
Jun 16, 2015 Nia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shaz S
Jul 31, 2013 Shaz S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Recently, I have developed an interest in reading autobiographies and diaries and this particular one caught my attention because it was hailed as “a little gem” by none other than Sigmund Freud. Turns out the diary is not genuine after all, if the internet is to be believed. As far as fake diaries go, this one is one of the better ones on the shelves. It did seem pretty authentic to me as I read and having been a young girl myself a long time, I found some of the entries quite relatable. Yes, t ...more
Tricia
Feb 17, 2011 Tricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 11-02-feb, kindle
While this is vaguely interesting, it is for all the wrong reasons. I suspect (and Wikipedia backs me up) that this is not an authentic diary. It just feels off somehow, something I cannot put my finger on. It's too set out with perfect data points of parental relationships, sexual awakenings, sibling rivalry, friendship issues, etc. However, it gives an insight into the social mores of the turn of the last century in a middle class society and presents a glimpse into a culture starting to crack ...more
Christina Tang-Bernas
I read this mostly out of curiosity. I'm not really fond of reading girl diaries (except for Zlata's Diary which I read at least 30 times growing up) but its connection to Freud seemed interesting. It was pretty much as I expected which was a bit tedious and boring and I felt the girl was a bit TOO obssessed with her female teacher. Perhaps it's because I've grown up or this was written (still not sure whether this was a fictional or truly autobiographical account)in an earlier more innocent tim ...more
Michel Van Goethem
This is really a gem, although it's a 'faux'. (http://www.answers.com/topic/hug-hell...).

Reading it I had already the impression. "She is just as stupid and conceited as she was before she fell in love. So Hella is right when she says: Love enobles [veredelt]. Erno made a rotten joke about that when he heard Hella say it once. He said: "You've made a slip of the tongue, you meant to say: Love makes fools of people [vereselt]." Of course that's because he's not in love with anyone."

Is this from a
Ria
May 03, 2012 Ria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know bout you guys, tapi setelah sepertiga awal buku rasanya masih datar aja nih buku.

Jadi kurang semangat untuk nerusin baca secara serius. Alhasil cuman baca buru2, membalik2 halaman seenaknya. Kurang greget. Gak dapat sparks nya. Terlalu flat.

A diary bout 11yo girl sampe umurnya mencapai 14 tahun. Efek habis baca buku ini sih, jadi lebih menyemangati nulis diary.. :) my time capsule! Yay.. #apadeh

Honestly, aku gak melihat buku ini dari sisi psikologis perkembangan seorang anak. Apa ka
Manjish Adhikari
I downloaded this ebook mistaking it for "THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK." But only later did I realize that this was not the book I was searching for. But I am glad that I did that because this also happened to be one of the timeless classic books. The diary of a German girl during the Hitler era is something exquisite. Like most world war contemporaries this doesn't have the saddest of the endings and stories but it helps us to look into the mind of a young girl and how she matures into adulthood. It ...more
Josephine Phua
Trusting in the authenticity of the diary, it was an enjoyable read. Given the suddenness of the diary's end, and the editor's notes, I had to do some research on our dear "Rita". Well it turns out this diary is a fraud written/edited by Hermine Hug-Hellmuth, an Austrian psychoanalyst.

(http://www.zfl-berlin.org/veranstaltu...)

Then again, perhaps its not so bad the story wasn't true after all!
Karla
Jan 26, 2012 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, or journal rather, was so interesting. I am going to have to do more research about the girl, but it is simply what the title implies...a young girl's diary. It is fascinating to see how she views the world and how things strike her. I hated that it simply cut off at the end...apparently there is no further known material. I would really like to know what happened to this 'young girl'
Rachelle
Jan 12, 2012 Rachelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it interesting, I think she she became infatuated with her teacher due to the recent event with her mother. I wasn't a fan of the ending and wish there would have been more information. I did enjoy the book for the most part.
Eris
Mar 30, 2012 Eris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed it, specially because it depicts, at least through a young austrian girl's perspective, how the 'world' used to be in the beginning of the xx century. thoroughly fascinating... i wish i could find out what happened to the lainer girls or whatever was their real name.
Alvi Harahap
Dec 25, 2011 Alvi Harahap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This diary is taking us to feel, understand, and see young girl, named Rita, feeling and point of view.

This diary is useful for parents being able to understand more about their children, specially daughters.
Kelli
Sep 29, 2013 Kelli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I finished the book, because I just can't leave a book unfinished, but I just didn't enjoy it very much. In reading the other reviews, it seems as though the diary is a fake, which I honestly suspected while reading it. It just didn't seem that realistic to me.
LittleAsian Sweatshop
I'm going to say it...Freud was one creepy dude to have unearthed this diary and get so excited about it.......
Naomi Goldman
Nice book
Billy Jo
Nov 11, 2015 Billy Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Wonderful!

I laughed & cried & was kept intrigued through out the whole book. A must read in my opinion.
Geomaria
May 14, 2012 Geomaria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crisp and perfection ensured till the end.
Paige
Paige rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Bauhaus
  • The Burning Secret and other stories
  • The White People
  • A Simple Story
  • In Praise of Reading and Fiction: The Nobel Lecture
  • Small Miracles of the Holocaust: Extraordinary Coincidences of Faith, Hope, and Survival
  • The Fifteen Biggest Lies about the Economy: And Everything Else the Right Doesn't Want You to Know about Taxes, Jobs, and Corporate America
  • Memoir: A History
  • For Yourself: The Fulfillment of Female Sexuality (Revised and Updated)
  • Mania: The Story of the Outraged and Outrageous Lives That Launched a Cultural Revolution
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • Wet Magic
  • Gypsy Magic: A Romany Book of Spells, Charms, and Fortune-Telling
  • The Angels of Perversity
  • Sexuality and the Psychology of Love
  • The Best American Humorous Short Stories
  • Uncommon Decency: Christian Civility in an Uncivil World
  • Flight Out of Time: A Dada Diary

“I should like to know what sacrifices they make. I think it's the children who make the sacrifices. When I want to eat gooseberries and am not allowed to, the sacrifice is _mine_ not _Mother's_.” 1 likes