The Other Side and Back: A Psychic's Guide to Our World and Beyond

The Other Side and Back: A Psychic's Guide to Our World and Beyond

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,108 ratings  ·  75 reviews
The world-famous psychic, featured on numerous TV talk shows, takes readers on an unprecedented and comprehensive "tour" of the afterlife and presents a handbook for spiritual survival in the new millennium that helps people tap into their psychic powers. Updated with new material.
Published July 1st 2000 by Signet Book (first published August 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side and Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side and Back

Alisa
One of my elderly woman brought this book from the library, gave it to me, and told me to read it out loud to her.. next thing you know, over the time frame of 3 days, I have a group of people around me listening and we had very good conversation about this today. Yes.. it was a little heated at times because you have so many people and so many opinions, but all in all this was a great book. They really enjoyed it and so did I.. if not for what the book was about, then atleast for the fact that...more
Emily
Not everyone believes that Sylvia browne is a true Physic, me.. i dont know what i believe but i do know this Parts of this book rang true to me as it supported a few experiences that i have had, If your not a fan of Sylvia browne thats ok you dont have to be this is not a book of perdictions or anything truely Physic its is more or less a book about the other side told by those who believe they have seen it themselves
Ashlie Nelson
This book literally change my life and my faith. I was 21 when I first read this book on a whim. I was browsing the book isle while waiting on pictures to be developed at wallgreens when I saw this book and had remembered hearing about Sylvia Browne on TV and thought I would check it out.

I have change my belief systems many times over. I have been Baptist, Non-denominational, Wiccan, Buddhist and a few others. I have always been fascinated with death and life after death and searching for the o...more
Jamila
I thought The Church of Scientology was ridiculous until I read this book. I have a very open mind and was looking into a lot of spiritual based books to give me insight after the death of a good friend which I did not find through the pages of this book.

Browns' “ideas” are so out there, they are ridiculous and demented! It is no surprise she appears on daytime talk shows. This book is meant for people who enjoy Jerry Springer and other trashy TV programs.

Brown tells us that “the other side” is...more
MizzSandie
This woman is apparently surrounded by controversy and a lot of people say she is a fraud, and of course she herself claims to be a true psychic. I don't know what to believe, to be honest, but the truth is i'm enjoying this book regardless. What's important to me isn't so much wether she really did and have seen all the things she says she did, or if they come true, I still find it an interesting read, and i like the overall messages in the book.
I definately think it's good to be skeptic about...more
Karen Ng
I am writing this review now 11 years later and to this day I live my life based on the beliefs Sylvia Browne has laid out in this book.

I read this book back in 2001 just after the loss of our daughter Victoria. It helped me a lot to understand the other side (Heaven) and why everything happens for a reason and how we choose our life before we come to this life or the body.

I will add to this review again after I read the book again.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that has lost a loved one...more
Ashley Barnum
After going through a crisis of faith, I was sure that psychics could help restore my faith in the divine. After buying several of her books and reading them I was completely convinced that she would make a wonderful fiction writer. She has no talents. After reading her biography and reviews of her 'psychic' sessions I realized she was a complete fraud. Her ideas are absolutely looney. If she believes half of what she writes she's a nut.
Maria Carmo
Even if I have some different perspectives regarding some of the subjects, it is a good book in as much it encourages people to be positive, have the courage to search for their own truth and not to put themselves under any external influence that may take away their dignity and well being. It is certainly written by someone who is filled with good "vibes" and I enjoyed reading it.

Maria Carmo

Lisbon 15th. August 2012.
Ann-Marie
As with any spiritual book, you take from it what you desire to know. I met Sylvia Brown before she became famous when I was 19 years old. I can attest to her amazing gifts. That being said, nothing is constant and predictions should be taken with a grain of salt. You are the creator of your path in life. If you are curious to matters beyond the physical existence, this is a great insight to those possibilities.
Anne Marie
As I read this book, I kept comparing the thoughts of this psychic and author, Sylvia Browne, with Lorna Byrne, the author that can see angels. Lorna talks about our guardian angels, where Sylvia says we have a "spirit guide." Lorna seems to have more of a spiritualness about her, while Sylvia just wants to tell us all about her psychic readings and visions. Most of Sylvia's book really to me was telling us how to live a happy life, and be positive. I got very curious as to how Sylvia Browne pas...more
Amber
This was interesting and a lot of it was really nice to think about, but I still feel skeptical. But, I think that's okay though! Despite my skepticism it was still an interesting read and I would recommend it to others wanting to learn more about the different "afterlives."
Abby
Great intro and reference book to The Other Side. Covers the basics of metaphysical/spiritual concepts. Sort of reminded me of the 'Handbook for the Recently Deceased' in Beetlejuice. Looking forward to reading 'Life on the Other Side.'
Deanna
This book has helped me so much. When I read any of her books she makes me feel so positive about life. I've learned to worry less and look at death as another adventure and not the end.
Sue
Enjoyed this book. I found i comforting and feel the affirmations at the end of the book important to add to my daily routine.
Emelie
This kind of spirituality has come to feel to dopey for me lately.
Melissa Gritton-bell
She has some wise words about life, and dealing with it's struggles! Is she psychic, and everything she claims to be? I can't say, but I can say this has been a very interesting read..and has hit many parts of my life dead on! Pretty disappointed that she predicted aliens would be here in 2010, and as far as I know THAT never happened! Lol!! ;) In the end she is very inspirational, so if you're looking for that and have an open mind.. This book is for you!
Daniel Booke
My fiancé asked me to read this book because she felt that it had helped her with her life and that it would do the same for me. I had seen Sylvia on Montel many times back in the day and thought to myself “what a crock”. Unfortunately, this held true for this book as well. For a while she had me going, thinking that she truly believed what she was saying, until I got to the end where she makes her predictions for the new millennium. None of which have come true by 2013, and just reaffirmed my b...more
Sandra Mckenzie
I loved her writings. So very sorry to see her pass, but envy she is home. She was a very gifted woman with a courageous heart. Thank you for all that you did, and the legacy that you've left. BB
Bradley
Positive energy material. Enlightening stuff, but not for me. I did pick up a few tidbits, but this book is off to listia. =)
Maizie
With her super natural abilities she tells what happens when you die. You might not believe but she makes a skeptic change there mind. Her books are very informing and leaves you only wanting more. If your not sure pick up the book read a few pages and you just might change your view. she is a very intelligent women who has knowledge to share even if you don't believe in what she does it doesn't hurt to expand your knowledge.
Sue
Jan 27, 2008 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Curious about the Other Side?
Recommended to Sue by: Mom
I like Sylvia's style of writing. She is witty and interjects with many amusing things. Sometimes I find myself laughing out loud.

I am currently reading this book and find it fascinating. For me it's an exploration which I remember to take with a grain-of-salt but I can't help but think it all make sense. And thoughts that I had before... are coalescing together. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to study spirituality and work on it.
This book was witty, quick, and smart. It really urges...more
Alison
I always find her insight very interesting
Carey Gibbons
Again I read this book for a sense of peace after my father's recent passing. I don't know how much of it is true. Some of it I knew to be true through personal experience and innate, inexplicable beliefs I have about life after death. But then, some of it seemed silly. I choose to believe in a lot of what Sylvia Browne has to say, but I know I don't have the patience to do a lot of the mind exercises and affirmations she recommends. I read this for a sense of peace and that is what I got.
Pisces

Some of what she says rings true. But, over all, I think she is full of herself, an attention seeker and not as fully devoted to helping people as she claims to be. Some of what she says is insightful and thought provoking. The rest of it just sounds like it's made up. I am very wary of her. I like James Van Praugh better.. People who use their intuitive gifts mainly for profit make me skeptical.
Melissa Knotts
I read this book for a paper I was writing in college on psychics. It was extremely interesting whether you believe her or not or in afterlife itself. The extremely detailed and discriptive way she speaks of angels, ghosts, our spirit guides etc. is very interesting and really makes you think and wonder about all the things that might be out there.
Marla
Jan 26, 2008 Marla rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who would like to rethink a concept
Recommended to Marla by: a friend
Shelves: spiritual
I really need to read a few more of her books. This one fascinated me! I think my (by far) favorite part was when she explains how our children choose us. I was so overwhelmed with this idea that I immediately went to my son and put my arms around him in a hug and told him "Thank you for choosing me as your mother."
Desiree Frye
Sylvia Browne was my introduction to the life-after-death kick I've been on for about two years. I'm glad I started with her, because everything else I've read on the subject has been SO MUCH more believable. There are psychics (lots of them) who've demonstrated their abilities in double-blind studies. She isn't one of them.
Xa
Well, I read most of the first chapter, the chapter on hauntings, and glossed over the chapter on predictions. In my opinion, it's all hooey. (The haunting chapter was actually not bad. What bothers me most is capitalization for emphasis. I'm pretty sure 'The Other Side' and 'Home' are not proper nouns.)
Manon
I would never had picked up this book if it wasn't picked for book club.....and that would have been ok. I tried 3 times to read it and get into it, and I just couldn't. It's really hard for me to just give up on a book, but I had to with this one.
  • One Last Time
  • Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death
  • Healing with the Angels: How the Angels Can Assist You in Every Area of Your Life
  • Saved by the Light: The True Story of a Man Who Died Twice and the Profound Revelations He Received
  • Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet
  • The Eagle and the Rose: A Remarkable True Story
  • Embraced By The Light
  • Hello from Heaven: A New Field of Research-After-Death Communication Confirms That Life and Love Are Eternal
  • Don't Kiss Them Good-bye
  • Destiny of Souls: New Case Studies of Life Between Lives
  • When Ghosts Speak: Understanding the World of Earthbound Spirits
  • Many Mansions: The Edgar Cayce Story on Reincarnation
Sylvia Browne is a number one New York Times–bestselling author and world-famous psychic. She has appeared regularly on The Montel Williams Show and Larry King Live and has made countless other media and public appearances. She is also the founder of a church, the Society of Novus Spiritus, which will celebrate its twenty-fifth anniversary in 2011.
More about Sylvia Browne...
Life on the Other Side: A Psychic's Tour of the Afterlife Past Lives, Future Healing Secrets & Mysteries of the World Adventures of a Psychic: The Fascinating and Inspiring True-Life Story of One of America's Most Successful Clairvoyants Visits from the Afterlife: The Truth About Hauntings, Spirits, and Reunions with Lost Loved Ones

“Death is the Graduation of the Soul” 21 likes