Start by marking “Anyone But Me (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anyone But Me (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #1)

Anyone But Me (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  1,740 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Katie Carew, nicknamed Katie Kazoo by the class bully, had no idea what would happen when she wished that she could be anyone but herself. But now her wish has come true, and-switcheroo!-she keeps turning into other people and even animals! What is one ordinary third-grade girl with a really extraordinary problem to do? It's a good thing Katie is resourceful and smart enou ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Grosset & Dunlap

Diana
Jan 19, 2017 Diana added it
Recommended to Diana by: Mariane
Shelves: from-mariane
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sylvia
Katie Carew merasakan hari yang sangat kacau di hari itu. Celananya kotor saat bermain di playground. Anak murid sekelasnya ada yang pengganggu dan suka menyakiti teman-temannya yang lain. Namanya George. Dan George memberikan julukan Katie Kazoo baginya saat dia tanpa sengaja bersendawa dengan sangat keras di depan kelas! Benar-benar hari yang buruk!

Katie pulang dengan hati yang kesal dan sedih. Malam itu sebelum tidur dia berharap bisa menjadi apa saja, pokoknya bukan dirinya! Keesokan harinya
Becky Keir Grace
Jan 18, 2015 Becky Keir Grace rated it really liked it
Katie Carew is having a terrible day! She loses the football game for her team, and she gets mud all over her jeans. George, the class bully, teases her and calls her Katie Kazoo. She goes home and makes a wish on a shooting star to be anyone else! The next day in school a strange wind comes around Katie, and the next thing she realizes, is she is the class pat, Speedy the hamster! At first Katie panics, but then ends up getting loose from the cage. While on the run she learns something about Ge ...more
Miz Lizzie
Apr 06, 2009 Miz Lizzie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 7-10 year olds
The first book in a popular series for grade three students who are just getting into chapter books. I found it rather mediocre but I probably would have enjoyed it at that age since I loved did-it-really-happen, switcheroo kind of magic stuff. Katie transforms the class bully into a friend after she gains some insight from spending the day magically transformed into the class guinea pig.
I guess you can call me Maria (Marmalade4evs)
I read this book in 1st grade and it was the first book that got me into books. I read the entire series and back then I loved it so much. I kinda like it now but if you are wanting a YA book that is like this, read Every Day.
Audrey
Mar 03, 2009 Audrey is currently reading it
I never read this book. MY little sister did after she bought it at the School bookfair. All I know about it is that my sister never reads, but after she read the first book in this series, she stole my computer and went on amazon to buy the next 45 books!
Kate
Oct 30, 2014 Kate added it
I read this in like 1st grade
Jul 23, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Listened to this in the car. It was a pretty entertaining story to listen to with the kids.
Kristy
Cute, simple story about a girl who gets turned into her class hamster when a "magical wind" comes whirling through. She gets the opportunity to see a side of her classmates she wouldn't have seen otherwise. Basic school story for 1-3 graders about friendship and socializing.
Every story in this series has Katie turning into someone else.

Have been reading aloud with my 5 year old daughter who LOVES them.

Karen
This book wasn't too bad! I think I enjoyed it even. :) (Hard to tell after reading this type of literature lots!)

I did find it very odd that Katie turned into a hamster, but now I understand, it's all part of the plot! I hope we can read a few more in this series.

---
March 14, 2011 Annabelle

It was good, but there were two thing that I thought were a little silly.
What's that?
Well, there's this new kid and he tells jokes. And Katie wishes herself to be a hamster.
What's silly about the jokes?
We
Abbie
Apr 03, 2011 Abbie rated it liked it
Katie Carew is having a terrible day. She fumbled the ball and lost the game, splashed mud on her favorite jeans, and the class bully, George, has been tormenting her all day. She glibly wishes to be "anyone but me," and that's when things get crazy! The next day at school, she suddenly finds herself transformed into the class hamster, Speedy. Can Katie get back to herself and teach the bully a lesson at the same time? The illustrations definitely enhance the story portraying Katie and her frien ...more
Kari
Jul 25, 2012 Kari rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book to use to talk to kids about what is really being bullied and what might simply just be teasing. Katie is being bullied at the beginning of the book which is well written through Katies actions and feelings both in School and later at home.
The next day she doesn't want to go to school and makes a wish on a shooting star that she could be "anyone but me." Well she gets her wish as she stands outside her classroom window peering in and becomes the classroom hampster. A
Children's Literature Project
Oct 04, 2013 Children's Literature Project rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kelli
Anyone but Me is the first book in the series Katie Kazoo. In Anyone but Me, Katie is bullied by a new student named George. That evening Katie wished that she was anyone but herself. What she did not realize is at that exact moment a shooting star crossed the sky. The next day Katie was nervous about entering the school because of George. All of a sudden Katie felt a breeze and she turned into the class hamster. Now Katie had to find a way out of the cage and to turn back to herself.

Classroom U
(ha)Ley
I really enjoyed this when I was younger, but if I would have read it again now, I probably wouldn't like it as much. Hence the two star rating. It's a creative idea. Katie, the protagonist is having an awful day when she wishes to be anybody but herself. As she says this, a shooting star appears overhead and she switches bodies and turns into the class hamster. Although a series, you don't necessarily have to read them in order to understand everything (I didn't).

Overall; a pretty good series
Mama
Sep 06, 2016 Mama rated it really liked it
(Mama did the reading) Read this book 2 chapters at a time for my boys. (10 chapters) They liked this one. Katie Carew is getting teased and bullied, and she wishes she could be anyone but herself. Well, there is some magic in this book. And she switched places with someone/thing else. The kids thought it was hilarious. This is geared toward 1st-3rd grade. Dealing with a bully, may not work this well. But it helps to open a dialogue to figure out a way to deal with bullies. We had some good disc ...more
Grace
Nov 13, 2010 Grace rated it it was amazing
Liseth
Jul 03, 2013 Liseth rated it it was amazing
Katie kazzo funny pretty normal when I started to read katie kazzo I told My mom I'm like mom can you buy me more katie kazzo books I'm starting to love it so she said yes I was so happy I was jumping up and down and I was running around with my dog brunno he's so cute he's a schnauzer he has little mustache so I read anyone but me oh' baby girls don't have cooties and more so I really really really I joyed reading nancy kruliks books
Falan Miller
This is a book about a girl who is named Katie Kazoo by the class bully.She is having a really rough time with things going right. She ends up wishing she was anyone but herself and she ends up getting that wish.

This was a cute book. I liked how Katie was sort of a tomboy and played sports with the boys at recess.

This would be a good book for a young girl to read. I think they could relate easily to it.
Karen Dransfield
Mar 23, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
This was a book that popped up in a group I'm on and figured I'd borrow the library copy to see what the series was like. This is the first book. It's a lovely chapter book for early reader types. It includes Katie wishing she was someone else and some sort of magic happens and it's exactly what happens. This story also covers bullying and would be a good book to share with children to get them to discuss what bullying is and how we can help kids deal with it.
Yakeishaa
Dec 17, 2009 Yakeishaa rated it it was amazing
The main character are Katie,jermey,MR.G,Kaedem. The setting is inside and outside. Katie and her friends are osyched to in the fouurth grade! But then they get bad news -their thrid grade class has been split up! and katie was stuck with the new teacher, plus tons off homework. Thwn the magic wind strickes. Fourth grade was so gerat but not for jearmey and suzannne. I like
Tamara the Librarian
Fun story about Katie who wishes she could be anyone but herself-- and because a shooting star was passing-- it comes true-- but Katie does not control when or what she turns into. In this book, she turns into the class hamster. Her experience as a hamster helps her figure out how to turn the class bully into a nicer person.
Jesmine Aw
Aug 23, 2010 Jesmine Aw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't think that this book is a babies book just because its words are big and the book is thin. This kind of book is actually very nice. its about this girl named katie who made a wish upon a wishing star that she could someone else. Her wish came true and she is always switching identities with someone else and caused a lot of trouble.
Michelle Johnson
Dec 05, 2014 Michelle Johnson rated it really liked it
What a cute little book. I would say this book is geared to early chapter readers. It's pretty easy to read without any hard concepts.

It's just a cute, wholesome book.

The book is an (unrealistic) account of bullying.

I can see children enjoying this book...and wanting more in the series.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Katie Kazoo tames the class bully in a most unusual way after his fear of the class hamster is exposed in a single embarrassing moment. Readers enjoying the humor and premise of this story will likely clamour for more of Kaite's adventures.
Sadie
Jul 12, 2009 Sadie rated it it was amazing
I love this book and the moral of the story and how everything was explained . I use to read this book almost everyday, over and over again in the 3rd grade . And i still have the book somewhere . ^_^ I would recommend this book to anyone, although it's for little kids ! :D
Lidian
Aug 12, 2014 Lidian rated it it was amazing
This book is the first in the seris Katie kazoo. It's an American seris about a girl who goes to 3rd grade. In the later books, she moves to 4th grade. Th seris is by nancy krulik, a great author. Have fun reading it!
Alissa
Sep 04, 2013 Alissa rated it it was ok
Cute concept for new chapter book readers. I would have to read another one in the series though to determine if I like it. There was quite a bit of name calling and a girl flips her skirt up to prove that she is wearing shorts under her skirt which I thought was unnecessary.
Audriana ' Ronnie
Mar 11, 2010 Audriana ' Ronnie rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS SO AWESOME!!! I READ THIS IN 5TH GRADE. I FINISHED IT ONE DAY. I WAS FOCUSED NOT BOTHERE. I FELT LIKE I WAS KATIE! THEY EXPRESS THE FEELINGS SO WELL! EVERY GIRL SHOULD READ THIS ITS TO GIRLY FOR BOYS.
Bookslut
Dec 08, 2013 Bookslut rated it liked it
Shelves: iris
This was surprisingly good! I thought this would be right on par with those Magic Tree House books (ugh!), but it was far better. For something we picked up on the single criteria that it caught Iris' eye, not bad.
Amber
Mar 21, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
My third graders loved it! And I did too, it does have a little bully problem that gets resolved in a positive way. Katie has a bad day and makes a wish that ends up coming true! One of a kind series and now all the students are looking for more of them :)
  • January Joker (Calendar Mysteries, #1)
  • Tooth Trouble (Ready, Freddy! #1)
  • Electric Storm (Magic School Bus Chapter Books, #14)
  • Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Circus Clown (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #7)
  • Junie B. Jones and That Meanie Jim's Birthday (Junie B. Jones, #6)
  • Trixie The Halloween Fairy (Rainbow Magic)
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • Sophie the Chatterbox (Sophie Miller Series #3)
  • Judy Moody (Judy Moody, # 1)
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
  • Princess (The Puppy Place)
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
Nancy Krulik is the author of more than 100 books for children and young adults, including three New York Times bestsellers. She is best known, however, for being the author and creator of the Katie Kazoo Switcheroo book series, which has brought her to the attention of second, third, and fourth graders nationwide.

Nancy has also written extensively for teens and is well known as a biographer of Ho
More about Nancy E. Krulik...

Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Out to Lunch (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #2)
  • Oh, Baby! (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #3)
  • Girls Don't Have Cooties
  • I Hate Rules!
  • Get Lost!
  • Drat! You Copycat! (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #7)
  • Doggone It! (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #8)
  • Any Way You Slice It (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #9)
  • Quiet on the Set! (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #10)
  • No Messin' with My Lesson (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #11)