Start by marking “Underneath It All” as Want to Read:

Underneath It All

In a traditional family, the last thing you can be is who you really are, but it's time for Jacqueline Sanchez to find the woman underneath it all. . .
Everyone has their role. My mother is the martyr, my father the distant unapproachable figure, and Noel, with a few brief stints in jail, is considered misunderstood, not a handsome loser. Yolie is just outspoken, not a mi
Published January 1st 2007 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Underneath It All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underneath It All

Zulmara
May 20, 2008 Zulmara rated it it was amazing
By Margo Candela

Reviewed by Zulmara Cline

In her debut novel, Margo Candela captivates us with her storytelling abilities as we enter the life of Jaqueline Sanchez, a Latina with all the drama of a large familia Latina, who love a smother all at the same time. As Jaqs tries to break away and find her identity and be the "different" one, we are drawn into a life that is often unpredictable, based on circumstances, and filled with uncertainty
Livin' la  Vida Latina
Reviewed by: Celia

Well written. Full of wit. Enjoyed the characters. Jacq was clever and funny.

My favorite part was when she found the used condoms in her apartment. Hilarious!

But I felt like I was waiting for something to happen as I was reading the book. She didn't come close to sleeping with her boss. She didn't throw a pan at her ex-husband. I wanted something to happen.

Overall, I felt the whole thing was uneventful. When I reached the end of the book, I thought, "That's it?"
Anastasia
Jan 26, 2009 Anastasia rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, 2009
This author's nueva latina chick lit is disappointing. The characters are almost there in terms of being well developed people you can care about--- but ultimately the superficiality comes through too strongly (obsession with Tiffany rings, Gucci bags, etc.) and there's no real movement toward any specific growth or resolution at the end.
Yolanda
Aug 16, 2008 Yolanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Latinas who are a bit lost
Recommended to Yolanda by: amazon
Shelves: own, my-2009-reads
I like that the character came from humble beginnings and was a bit of a snob about her money. I also liked that she was in therapy (which is very frowned upon in latino families). I thought this character could have been me or one of my relatives. I like that she had money and was ashamed that her family did not. I think this character was realistic and I enjoyed the read.
Erin
Jan 23, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
While this is Margo Candela's first book, I read it last. I really didn't think it could possibly compare to her third, More Than This, which I absolutely loved, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have to say, I think this is my favorite now. Write another one, Margo!
Sandra Lopez
Dec 19, 2009 Sandra Lopez rated it liked it
This was the first book I've read by Ms. Margo Candela, and it debuts her effervescent and humorous style. The reader finds a good character in Jacq--fun, smart, and relatable--but I never found the woman "underneath it all." I thought it kind of ended with a cliffhanger.
Mel
Jan 02, 2010 Mel rated it it was amazing
laugh out loud funny for anyone who has a latina mother ;)
Oct 10, 2007 Sarah rated it it was ok
Wash Post recommended Latina chick lit...yet not good.
Daniel
Dec 01, 2007 Daniel rated it it was amazing
a friend said this was good
Jeepster
Apr 26, 2012 Jeepster rated it liked it
It took me a while to "get into" this book. Loved the author's sense of humor and style of writing. Funny story line but the cheating theme is a bit redundant.
Shauna
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2008
Nadi Ramos
Nadi Ramos rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Kelibri
Kelibri rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
MReza
MReza rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2007
John
John rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2007
Albamaria
Albamaria rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Heather Poole
Heather Poole rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2007
Matin
Matin rated it really liked it
May 26, 2009
mdt
mdt rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2007
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Lara
Feb 11, 2008 Lara rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Fresh, fun, and unpredicatable.
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2009
Lily
Lily rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Steff
Steff rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2011
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2010
Pinar
Pinar rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2008
Margo Candela is the author of five novels, The Brenda Diaries (SugarMissile, Oct. '11), Good-bye To All That (Touchstone, July '10), More Than This (Touchstone, Aug '08), Life Over Easy (Kensington, Oct '07), Underneath It All (Kensington, Jan '07).

Margo is currently working on her next novel as well as working on a three book Young Adult series.
More about Margo Candela...