Start by marking “Underneath It All” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In a traditional family, the last thing you can be is who you really are, but it's time for Jacqueline Sanchez to find the woman underneath it all. . . Everyone has their role. My mother is the martyr, my father the distant unapproachable figure, and Noel, with a few brief stints in jail, is considered misunderstood, not a handsome loser. Yolie is just outspoken, not a mis ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Underneath It All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underneath It All

Zulmara
By Margo Candela

Reviewed by Zulmara Cline

In her debut novel, Margo Candela captivates us with her storytelling abilities as we enter the life of Jaqueline Sanchez, a Latina with all the drama of a large familia Latina, who love a smother all at the same time. As Jaqs tries to break away and find her identity and be the "different" one, we are drawn into a life that is often unpredictable, based on circumstances, and filled with uncertainty
Livin' la  Vida Latina
Reviewed by: Celia

Well written. Full of wit. Enjoyed the characters. Jacq was clever and funny.

My favorite part was when she found the used condoms in her apartment. Hilarious!

But I felt like I was waiting for something to happen as I was reading the book. She didn't come close to sleeping with her boss. She didn't throw a pan at her ex-husband. I wanted something to happen.

Overall, I felt the whole thing was uneventful. When I reached the end of the book, I thought, "That's it?"
Yolanda
Jan 18, 2009 Yolanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Latinas who are a bit lost
Recommended to Yolanda by: amazon
Shelves: own, my-2009-reads
I like that the character came from humble beginnings and was a bit of a snob about her money. I also liked that she was in therapy (which is very frowned upon in latino families). I thought this character could have been me or one of my relatives. I like that she had money and was ashamed that her family did not. I think this character was realistic and I enjoyed the read.
Anastasia
This author's nueva latina chick lit is disappointing. The characters are almost there in terms of being well developed people you can care about--- but ultimately the superficiality comes through too strongly (obsession with Tiffany rings, Gucci bags, etc.) and there's no real movement toward any specific growth or resolution at the end.
Erin
While this is Margo Candela's first book, I read it last. I really didn't think it could possibly compare to her third, More Than This, which I absolutely loved, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have to say, I think this is my favorite now. Write another one, Margo!
Sandra Lopez
This was the first book I've read by Ms. Margo Candela, and it debuts her effervescent and humorous style. The reader finds a good character in Jacq--fun, smart, and relatable--but I never found the woman "underneath it all." I thought it kind of ended with a cliffhanger.
Jeepster
It took me a while to "get into" this book. Loved the author's sense of humor and style of writing. Funny story line but the cheating theme is a bit redundant.
Wash Post recommended Latina chick lit...yet not good.
Lara
Loved it! Fresh, fun, and unpredicatable.
Daniel
a friend said this was good
Mel
laugh out loud funny for anyone who has a latina mother ;)
Shauna
Funnneeeeee!
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Ana E.
Ana E. marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Tru Essync
Tru Essync marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Augustina
Augustina marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Dominique
Dominique marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Diane Maccallum
Diane Maccallum marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Margo Candela is the author of five novels, The Brenda Diaries (SugarMissile, Oct. '11), Good-bye To All That (Touchstone, July '10), More Than This (Touchstone, Aug '08), Life Over Easy (Kensington, Oct '07), Underneath It All (Kensington, Jan '07).

Margo is currently working on her next novel as well as working on a three book Young Adult series.
More about Margo Candela...
More Than This: A Novel Good-bye To All That: A Novel Life Over Easy The Brenda Diaries Just Like That  (SweetSpots Contemporary Romance)