The Bravest Woman in America

The Bravest Woman in America

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Ida Lewis loved everything about the sea, so when her father became the official keeper of Lime Rock Lighthouse in Newport, Rhode Island, she couldn’t imagine anything better.

Throughout the years, Ida shadowed her father as he tended the lighthouse, listening raptly to his stories about treacherous storms, drowning sailors, and daring rescues. Under her father’s watchful e...more
Published July 12th 2011 by Tricycle Press

Richie Partington
THE BRAVEST WOMAN IN AMERICA by Marissa Moss and Andrea U'Ren, ill., Tricycle Press, July 2011, 32p., ISBN: 978-1-58246-369-8

"Whoever wrote the book of 1 Timothy claimed to be Paul. But he was lying about that -- he was someone else living after Paul had died. In his book, the author of 1 Timothy used Paul's name and authority to address a problem that he saw in the church. Women were speaking out, exercising authority and teaching men. That had to stop. The author told women to be silent and su...more
Heidi
Moss does a great job of introducing us to Ida, whose greatest passion is the ocean, in all its forms. Her eagerness is demonstrated through her determination to learn to row the boat that takes her father out to the island to check the lighthouse. U'Ren's illustrations beautifully compliment Moss's descriptions by showing the reader Ida's love of the sea and her determination to do whatever it took to help her father run the lighthouse. I love how Moss shows us, Ida's determination and courage...more
Tasha
Ida Lewis loved the sea, from the crash of the waves to the bite of the ocean air. When her father got a job as a lighthouse keeper, she was thrilled. He had to cross back and forth twice a day to check the light, and he took Ida with him, teaching her how to row. He also taught her to care for the lamp and how to rescue people without capsizing herself. When Ida turned 15, her family moved out to live next to the lighthouse. Ida dreamed of becoming the keeper herself one day. That day came earl...more
Stephanie Rice
Stephanie Rice- READ 6252
Informational Picture Books
Book Title: The Bravest Woman In America
Author: Marissa Moss

Short Description of the Book: The Bravest Woman In America is about the heroic actions of Ida Lewis. Ida Lewis grew up in Newport, Rhode Island where her father was the lighthouse keeper. Ida and her family were responsible for tending to the lighthouse and helping any struggling sailors arrive on land safely. One night Ida noticed a struggling boat full of young boys lost in the mid...more
Barbara
The daughter of a lighthouse keeper in Rhode Island, Ida Lewis loved everything about the sea. Born in 1842 during a time when women had no suffrage, this young woman learned everything she would need to know about being the keeper of a lighthouse as well as maritime rescue work from her father. When her father became too feeble to do his work, Ida took over. In the incident described in this picture book, she was 16 when she rescued four boys whose horseplay caused their boat to capsize. An Aut...more
Ida's family lives in a lighthouse and keeps ships safe in the harbor. As a young girl, Ida learns to row a small boat and listens to her father describe how to save someone. As a 15 year old girl, she puts these lessons to use and rescues 4 boys from the cold water, saving their lives.

This is an excellent early reader choice and will work with well for students in grades 1 and 2. While I appreciate stories about unsung and every day heroes, I did feel that it was a bit of a stretch to call Ida...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Ida Lewis grows up in a lighthouse and her father, the lighthouse keeper, teaches her how to do all the things those manning a lighthouse must know. It comes in handy when a boat of boys gets in trouble near the lighthouse one stormy night.

“The boys’ faces were white with cold, their lips blue. One passed out, lying limp on the bottom of the boat.

Ida didn’t think. She rowed---harder and faster than she ever had. The waves crashed over her head, tilting the boat along a wall of green and gray. Id...more
Chris
This picture book is based on the story of Ida Lewis (1842-1911), the Newport, Rhode Island lighthouse keeper who rescued over 18 people during her tenure.
Alliteration: “Ida loved the sea. She loved it when it was calm and coppery in the sunlight.” Similes: “She loved it when it was wild with froth like a herd of stampeding horses.” Incredible description: “She loved the crash of the waves, the screech of gulls wheeling overhead, the bite of salt in her nose as she breathed in the ocean air.” Sn...more
Sandy Brehl
Ida Lewis joins the growing list of little known or gradually forgotten women who are finding new recognition in the pages of amazing non-fiction picture books. Much like Mary Anning (the young paleontologist on the English coast), Ida's interests, actions, and belief in herself far surpassed society's expectations and limits. Recognized in her own lifetime as a national hero, her name and story slipped away in time.
Pair with "Keep the Lights Burning, Abby" by Peter and Connie Roop, for a livel...more
Michele
I really like this book. This surprises me because it is a simple sort of book about a not particularly new topic--a young female who lives near a lighthouse and rescues drowning victims.

However, something in the storytelling makes me really feel admiration for Ida Lewis, the teenage daughter of a lighthouse keeper who rescued 18-25 lives in her own lifetime. The story emphasizes the idea that a strong and determined girl can do anything. It resonates with the significance of the choices we mak...more
Donalyn
Ida Lewis was the lighthouse keeper at Lime Rock in Newport, RI for most of her life. She rescued at least 18 people and became the first woman to receive the American Cross of Honor and also received the Congressional Life Saving Medal. This book follows Ida during her childhood as the daughter of a lighthouse keeper and her first rescue when she was 16.

The precise text includes beautiful sensory images, describing the sea as "wild with froth like a herd of stampeding horses".
Susan
This story documents the courageous work of Ida Lewis as the lighthouse keeper of Newport, Rhode Island’s harbor. Awarded two Congressional medals, Ida Lewis saved over 18 lives as she kept watch of the seas off Lime Rock Island.

Nice story to introduce lower elementary students to the idea of biography or to discuss how fiction and non-fiction can sometimes look a like and talk about ways to distinguish between them.
Christina
Who knew there was a famous woman lighthouse keeper? i certainly didn't. But this lovely picture book tells us about her life, learning to row a boat so well while a teen that she could brave the choppy ocean to rescue trapped sailors. She wasn't allowed to legally own the lighthouse but after her father's illness, she basically ran it while it was still in his name.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Ida Lewis grew up as the daughter of a Lighthouse Keeper. She learned to row a boat and to rescue people from her father. The story simplifies her life and focuses on one particular rescue, but overall I really enjoyed the book and learning about this incredible woman.
Chris Young
Ida Lewis grew up a lighthouse keeper's daughter until she took the reigns from her ailing father, working for 39 years and officially saving 18 lives. This is a wonderful example of how bravery is not limited to boys. Vivid paintings accompany the text.
Christina Potter Bieloh
This was such an interesting book about Ida Lewis. I'd not heard of her, but her father was a lighthouse keeper. She later replaced him. This took place in the mid 1800s - so this was an unusual for a woman. Illustrations and storytelling are great.
Marjorie Ingall
My RHODE ISLAND REPRESENT! feelings may be clouding my judgment, but not much. It is Exciting! Feminist! Poetic but not vomitous! It has fab pictures!

One more heroic-teenage-girl-in-a-RI-lighthouse pictorial history book and I get a toaster!
Nice art and interesting on a few different levels. This is great as a story about the functions of lighthouses and what lighthouse keepers do, as well as a tale about a historical female hero.
Alyson
What an inspiration story to share with kids! How have I never heard of this woman? - and I grew up in Rhode Island. Nice illustrations especially of the stormy sea.
Kelli
The story of Ida Lewis, lighthouse keeper at Lime Rock in Newport, Rhoade Island. A good story that introduces the lighthouse keepers, a now defunct role.
Shannon
Better than average art, fairly interesting story of an young hero. First time I actually understood what it is that lighthouse keepers do.
Courtney Burns
Enjoyable quick picture book about a female lighthouse keeper--a keeper during a time when woman couldn't even vote.
Becky
Super great book for teaching kids about bravery and the indomitable human spirit, especially for girls.
Leslie
Excellent story for grades 1-2. Connections: women's history, lighthouses, oceans, rescues.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Who is Marissa Moss anyway?

I’ve been making children’s books for a looooong time. I sent my first picture book to publishers when I was nine, but it wasn’t very good and they didn’t publish it. I didn’t try again until I was a grown-up and then it took five years of sending out stories, getting them rejected, revising them and sending them back over and over until I got my first book. Now I’ve pub...more
More about Marissa Moss...
Amelia's Notebook (Amelia's Notebooks, #1) Amelia Writes Again (Amelia's Notebooks, #2) Amelia Hits The Road (Amelia's Notebooks, #3) Amelia's 6th-Grade Notebook (Amelia's Notebooks, #15) Amelia's Boredom Survival Guide (Amelia's Notebooks, #5)