Start by marking “The Bravest Woman in America” as Want to Read:
The Bravest Woman in America

The Bravest Woman in America

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Ida Lewis loved everything about the sea, so when her father became the official keeper of Lime Rock Lighthouse in Newport, Rhode Island, she couldn’t imagine anything better.

Throughout the years, Ida shadowed her father as he tended the lighthouse, listening raptly to his stories about treacherous storms, drowning sailors, and daring rescues. Under her father’s watchful e
Published July 12th 2011 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Bravest Woman in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bravest Woman in America

Richie Partington
Nov 05, 2011 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
THE BRAVEST WOMAN IN AMERICA by Marissa Moss and Andrea U'Ren, ill., Tricycle Press, July 2011, 32p., ISBN: 978-1-58246-369-8

"Whoever wrote the book of 1 Timothy claimed to be Paul. But he was lying about that -- he was someone else living after Paul had died. In his book, the author of 1 Timothy used Paul's name and authority to address a problem that he saw in the church. Women were speaking out, exercising authority and teaching men. That had to stop. The author told women to be silent and su
Heidi
Jul 18, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Moss does a great job of introducing us to Ida, whose greatest passion is the ocean, in all its forms. Her eagerness is demonstrated through her determination to learn to row the boat that takes her father out to the island to check the lighthouse. U'Ren's illustrations beautifully compliment Moss's descriptions by showing the reader Ida's love of the sea and her determination to do whatever it took to help her father run the lighthouse. I love how Moss shows us, Ida's determination and courage ...more
Tasha
Jul 26, 2011 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Ida Lewis loved the sea, from the crash of the waves to the bite of the ocean air. When her father got a job as a lighthouse keeper, she was thrilled. He had to cross back and forth twice a day to check the light, and he took Ida with him, teaching her how to row. He also taught her to care for the lamp and how to rescue people without capsizing herself. When Ida turned 15, her family moved out to live next to the lighthouse. Ida dreamed of becoming the keeper herself one day. That day came earl ...more
Stephanie Rice
Stephanie Rice- READ 6252
Informational Picture Books
Book Title: The Bravest Woman In America
Author: Marissa Moss

Short Description of the Book: The Bravest Woman In America is about the heroic actions of Ida Lewis. Ida Lewis grew up in Newport, Rhode Island where her father was the lighthouse keeper. Ida and her family were responsible for tending to the lighthouse and helping any struggling sailors arrive on land safely. One night Ida noticed a struggling boat full of young boys lost in the mid
Sydney Hall
I had never heard of Ida Lewis until I read this book. Ida was considered the bravest woman in America for her heroic saving of 18 lives off the coast of Lime Rock. She was honored with the Congressional Life Saving Medal in 1874. This book is based on the events of her life, which makes it historical fiction. I think this promotes female heroes and would give students inspiration to research different types of people.
Laurie Brumbaugh
Jan 18, 2016 Laurie Brumbaugh rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love learning about strong women in history and I had never heard of Ida Lewis before! This book is a great introduction that could spark interest in further reading, while generating quality conversation on its own as well. The illustrations are lovely and the Author's Note contains interesting information. Source notes would have been helpful, but their absence doesn't detract from the book in my opinion.
Barbara
Jul 30, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla, strong-women
The daughter of a lighthouse keeper in Rhode Island, Ida Lewis loved everything about the sea. Born in 1842 during a time when women had no suffrage, this young woman learned everything she would need to know about being the keeper of a lighthouse as well as maritime rescue work from her father. When her father became too feeble to do his work, Ida took over. In the incident described in this picture book, she was 16 when she rescued four boys whose horseplay caused their boat to capsize. An Aut ...more
Jeannette
Mar 14, 2016 Jeannette rated it really liked it
A nicely done children's book telling the tale of famous lightkeeper, Ida Lewis, of Rhode Island. Her rescues and her devotion to keeping her lighthouse lit for the mariners made her one of the most famous lighthouse keeper in the world.
Dec 30, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Ida's family lives in a lighthouse and keeps ships safe in the harbor. As a young girl, Ida learns to row a small boat and listens to her father describe how to save someone. As a 15 year old girl, she puts these lessons to use and rescues 4 boys from the cold water, saving their lives.

This is an excellent early reader choice and will work with well for students in grades 1 and 2. While I appreciate stories about unsung and every day heroes, I did feel that it was a bit of a stretch to call Ida
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 16, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it liked it
Shelves: strong-women
Ida Lewis grows up in a lighthouse and her father, the lighthouse keeper, teaches her how to do all the things those manning a lighthouse must know. It comes in handy when a boat of boys gets in trouble near the lighthouse one stormy night.

“The boys’ faces were white with cold, their lips blue. One passed out, lying limp on the bottom of the boat.

Ida didn’t think. She rowed---harder and faster than she ever had. The waves crashed over her head, tilting the boat along a wall of green and gray. Id
Chris
Oct 19, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
This picture book is based on the story of Ida Lewis (1842-1911), the Newport, Rhode Island lighthouse keeper who rescued over 18 people during her tenure.
Alliteration: “Ida loved the sea. She loved it when it was calm and coppery in the sunlight.” Similes: “She loved it when it was wild with froth like a herd of stampeding horses.” Incredible description: “She loved the crash of the waves, the screech of gulls wheeling overhead, the bite of salt in her nose as she breathed in the ocean air.” Sn
Teri
Feb 24, 2016 Teri rated it really liked it
True story of Ida Lewis and the Lime Rock Lighthouse in Rhode Island.
Mary
Feb 01, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
Great picture book that introduces historical characters to children.
Sandy Brehl
Jan 15, 2012 Sandy Brehl rated it it was amazing
Ida Lewis joins the growing list of little known or gradually forgotten women who are finding new recognition in the pages of amazing non-fiction picture books. Much like Mary Anning (the young paleontologist on the English coast), Ida's interests, actions, and belief in herself far surpassed society's expectations and limits. Recognized in her own lifetime as a national hero, her name and story slipped away in time.
Pair with "Keep the Lights Burning, Abby" by Peter and Connie Roop, for a livel
Mckinley
Oct 22, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Inspiringstory; telling a bit under-exciting.
Michele
Jan 26, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it
I really like this book. This surprises me because it is a simple sort of book about a not particularly new topic--a young female who lives near a lighthouse and rescues drowning victims.

However, something in the storytelling makes me really feel admiration for Ida Lewis, the teenage daughter of a lighthouse keeper who rescued 18-25 lives in her own lifetime. The story emphasizes the idea that a strong and determined girl can do anything. It resonates with the significance of the choices we mak
Donalyn
Ida Lewis was the lighthouse keeper at Lime Rock in Newport, RI for most of her life. She rescued at least 18 people and became the first woman to receive the American Cross of Honor and also received the Congressional Life Saving Medal. This book follows Ida during her childhood as the daughter of a lighthouse keeper and her first rescue when she was 16.

The precise text includes beautiful sensory images, describing the sea as "wild with froth like a herd of stampeding horses".
Susan
This story documents the courageous work of Ida Lewis as the lighthouse keeper of Newport, Rhode Island’s harbor. Awarded two Congressional medals, Ida Lewis saved over 18 lives as she kept watch of the seas off Lime Rock Island.

Nice story to introduce lower elementary students to the idea of biography or to discuss how fiction and non-fiction can sometimes look a like and talk about ways to distinguish between them.
Christina
Dec 31, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
Who knew there was a famous woman lighthouse keeper? i certainly didn't. But this lovely picture book tells us about her life, learning to row a boat so well while a teen that she could brave the choppy ocean to rescue trapped sailors. She wasn't allowed to legally own the lighthouse but after her father's illness, she basically ran it while it was still in his name.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Ida Lewis grew up as the daughter of a Lighthouse Keeper. She learned to row a boat and to rescue people from her father. The story simplifies her life and focuses on one particular rescue, but overall I really enjoyed the book and learning about this incredible woman.
Chris Young
Jun 17, 2014 Chris Young rated it really liked it
Ida Lewis grew up a lighthouse keeper's daughter until she took the reigns from her ailing father, working for 39 years and officially saving 18 lives. This is a wonderful example of how bravery is not limited to boys. Vivid paintings accompany the text.
Christina Potter Bieloh
Nov 05, 2013 Christina Potter Bieloh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: davey-books
This was such an interesting book about Ida Lewis. I'd not heard of her, but her father was a lighthouse keeper. She later replaced him. This took place in the mid 1800s - so this was an unusual for a woman. Illustrations and storytelling are great.
Marjorie Ingall
Nov 21, 2011 Marjorie Ingall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: girls-6-12, kids-6-12
My RHODE ISLAND REPRESENT! feelings may be clouding my judgment, but not much. It is Exciting! Feminist! Poetic but not vomitous! It has fab pictures!

One more heroic-teenage-girl-in-a-RI-lighthouse pictorial history book and I get a toaster!
Nice art and interesting on a few different levels. This is great as a story about the functions of lighthouses and what lighthouse keepers do, as well as a tale about a historical female hero.
Jenna
Nov 09, 2015 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Awesome.
Alyson
Aug 05, 2011 Alyson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
What an inspiration story to share with kids! How have I never heard of this woman? - and I grew up in Rhode Island. Nice illustrations especially of the stormy sea.
Kelli
The story of Ida Lewis, lighthouse keeper at Lime Rock in Newport, Rhoade Island. A good story that introduces the lighthouse keepers, a now defunct role.
Shannon
Sep 20, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Better than average art, fairly interesting story of an young hero. First time I actually understood what it is that lighthouse keepers do.
Courtney Burns
Nov 14, 2011 Courtney Burns rated it really liked it
Enjoyable quick picture book about a female lighthouse keeper--a keeper during a time when woman couldn't even vote.
Becky
Jan 10, 2013 Becky rated it it was amazing
Super great book for teaching kids about bravery and the indomitable human spirit, especially for girls.
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • Basketball Belles: How Two Teams and One Scrappy Player Put Women's Hoops on the Map
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909
  • The Daring Nellie Bly: America's Star Reporter
  • The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps
  • A Nation's Hope: The Story of Boxing Legend Joe Louis
  • Black Elk's Vision: A Lakota Story
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai
  • Jim Henson: The Guy Who Played with Puppets
  • Helen's Big World: The Life of Helen Keller
  • The House That Jane Built: A Story About Jane Addams
  • Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure
  • Sarah Gives Thanks
  • First Garden: The White House Garden and How It Grew
  • Sarah Emma Edmonds Was a Great Pretender: The True Story of a Civil War Spy (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
  • Fifty Cents and a Dream: Young Booker T. Washington

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Who is Marissa Moss anyway?

I’ve been making children’s books for a looooong time. I sent my first picture book to publishers when I was nine, but it wasn’t very good and they didn’t publish it. I didn’t try again until I was a grown-up and then it took five years of sending out stories, getting them rejected, revising them and sending them back over and over until I got my first book. Now I’ve pub
More about Marissa Moss...