Start by marking “Here Lies: The Collected Stories of Dorothy Parker” as Want to Read:
Here Lies: The Collected Stories of Dorothy Parker

Here Lies: The Collected Stories of Dorothy Parker

Dorothy Parker (August 22, 1893 - June 7, 1967) was an American poet and satirist, best known for her wit, wisecracks, and eye for 20th century urban foibles.

From a conflicted and unhappy childhood, Parker rose to acclaim, both for her literary output in such venues as The New Yorker and as a founding member of the Algonquin Round Table.

Following the breakup of the circ
Published June 1939 by The Viking Press (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Here Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Lies

Stefania T.
Dec 29, 2014 Stefania T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fernanda-pivano

L'introduzione di Fernanda Pivano vale l'avventura già di per sè: completa, approfondita, appassionata. Se esistesse un Nobel delle introduzioni ai romanzi, spetterebbe di certo a lei.

La traduzione di Montale arriva a guarnire ancor più festosamente il tutto - poi, ahimè, bilanciato (lo devo dire, non posso tacere) dall'orripilante elaborazione fotografica di copertina della Beatrice dantesca dipinta da Gabriele Rossetti (la colpevole è una certa Matilde Gasparini - eh, mo' ti cito per punizione
Jude
May 14, 2012 Jude rated it it was amazing
For those who know her longest & most for snarky observations of folks with too much time on their hands & not enough in their hearts, Parker's stories should be a revelation. Her observations of class and race are fearless, compassionate markers of the uneasiness and ignorance of her day. And of course no woman who has limped away from an insensitive dance partner should have to live without her very own copy of "The Waltz."
Wendy Yu
Sep 16, 2010 Wendy Yu rated it liked it
Dorothy Parker's incredible wit doesn't quite shine through in this book, whose stories focus on emotional, dramatic, insecure, ridiculous high society. Perhaps radical for its time, but now, just kind of whiny and unsympathetic. Kind of like Sex and the City without any of the charisma (or sex).
Tracey
Dec 19, 2007 Tracey rated it really liked it
Shelves: nyc
A good collection of Dorothy Parker's short stories; however, I was reminded of her focus on love gone wrong. She does it well, mind you... but it can get a little tedious after a while. I think I like her "monologues" the best - "The Waltz" still makes me giggle a bit.
trovateOrtensia
“Alcuni uomini ti spezzano il cuore, altri blandiscono e lusingano, alcuni uomini neppure ti guardano; e questo esaurisce la questione."

Il mio primo incontro con Dorothy Parker risale ad una ventina d’anni fa, quando l’aforisma sopra citato attirò la mia attenzione dalla prima di copertina di una rivista di letteratura. Avevo ventitrè anni, ed il cuore spezzato. Da un uomo, ça va sans dire. In quegli anni, delle persone infelici per amore si diceva: “è un danneggiato” (dal libro Il danno, della
Michael
Jun 25, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
It's taken me way too long to get into Parker, but I'm glad I have. While some of the stories do tend to be of their own time, a bunch of them are still incredibly relevant. Too relevant. It shows that, as a country, we really haven't advanced too much. That's kinda depressing. Ugh.
Carolyn Johnson
May 12, 2007 Carolyn Johnson added it
Recommends it for: Sophisticated readers of any age
If you love wit, if you appreciate a well turned phrase, and can enjoy the writing of a women who was so obviously before her time, then this is for you. Who can't love verse such as "Guns aren't lawful/Nooses give/Gas smells awful/You might as well live"! My sentiments exactly! Read and enjoy!
Terpsicore
Nov 16, 2007 Terpsicore rated it really liked it
I read the portuguese translation of this book, but loved it anyway.
I had only read "the phonecall" which I enjoyed even more now.
Delightful, "too bad" is one of my favorite stories.
Jen
Sep 18, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
If you can't appreciate Dorothy Parker, you may in fact be dead inside.
Voss
Dec 17, 2014 Voss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spietato.
Una scrittura meravigliosa.
Racconti crudi e violenti nella loro leggerezza.
Meraviglioso.
Leslie
Jan 28, 2009 Leslie rated it it was amazing

Dorothy Parker's wit is timeless and without compare. I actually laughed out loud at many of the stories as I read, which for me is a rare reading event.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Lydia Martin
Lydia Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Kerem Daldal
Kerem Daldal marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Carol
Carol added it
Sep 02, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Diana Abu-Jaber
Diana Abu-Jaber marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
R.K. Cowles
R.K. Cowles rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Kristin Fogle Moore
Kristin Fogle Moore rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Aliceanna
Aliceanna marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Geneice Schmidt
Geneice Schmidt rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
  • Motel Chronicles
  • You Might as Well Live: The Life and Times of Dorothy Parker
  • The Egg and Other Stories
  • Bits of Paradise
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Dorothy Parker was an American writer and poet best known for her caustic wit, wisecracks, and sharp eye for 20th century urban foibles. From a conflicted and unhappy childhood, Parker rose to acclaim, both for her literary output in such venues as The New Yorker and as a founding member of the Algonquin Round Ta
More about Dorothy Parker...

“I'm never going to accomplish anything; that's perfectly clear to me. I'm never going to be famous. My name will never be writ large on the roster of Those Who Do Things. I don't do anything. Not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that any more.” 338 likes
“I might repeat to myself, slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound; if I can remember any of the damn things.” 186 likes