Start by marking “3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)” as Want to Read:
3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)

3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey #4)

3.48  ·  Rating Details ·  15,403 Ratings  ·  519 Reviews
One thousand years after the Jupiter mission to explore the mysterious Monolith had been destroyed, after Dave Bowman was transformed into the Star Child, Frank Poole drifted in space, frozen and forgotten, leaving the supercomputer HAL inoperable. But now Poole has returned to life, awakening in a world far different from the one he left behind—and just as the Monolith ma ...more
Published March 1998 by Del Rey (first published February 25th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about 3001, please sign up.

Noah Ward Yes, although it leaves room for interpretation. Keeping in mind that Arthur C. Clarke will never fully explain every secret and answer to the…moreYes, although it leaves room for interpretation. Keeping in mind that Arthur C. Clarke will never fully explain every secret and answer to the universe, he definitely answers the questions that have been asked by fans for decades such as "What are the monoliths? Where do they come from? Who/what created them? What is their intention?". If you have read the first three books then the final odyssey is definitely worth reading. I feel obligated to warn you that if you haven't read the first three then don't read the last one. And whatever you do, do not read the back cover of the books if you don't want any spoilers.(less)

Aug 19, 2008 Hope rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aug 21, 2009 Cayleigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th book in Arthur C. Clarke's Odyssey collection. I found it a few weeks after I had read 2001: A Space Odyssey in my uncle's book collection. The funny thing was I had picked it up probably a hundred times when I lived there but never read it cause it was space related. After loving 2001 I eagerly started reading it. Even though it is the 4th and I have not read 2015 and 2065 I was not lost in the story as this takes place 1000 years after the first book. In a way it is like you ar ...more
Sep 07, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the pathetic earth people
Sep 05, 2010 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finally I've reached the end of the journey ... AND WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!! -_- Never again will I pick up anything written by Clarke. Honestly I can't understand how even got published. No identifiable Lead character in most of the books, no clear objective for what lead there was, the books meander around for the most part with dated and ludicrous speculation and no confrontation until the end, and what there was of a knockout closing seemed to appear out of nowhere. Internal conflict in the ...more
This series started as a one-off book released in conjunction with the Stanley Kubrick movie of the same name. The series consists of:

* 2001: A Space Odyssey
* 2010: Odyssey Two. (Also made into a film)
* 2061 Odyssey Three
* 3001: The Final Odyssey

The first and second books are enthralling. 2061 is more of the same, and thus decent but somewhat pointless as part of the arc. 3001 is an attempt at closing up all the loose threads, and does so in a satisfying way.

For a long time, these books frus
Fourth and the final book in the Space Odyssey saga. It was astonishing, as this book too, continues to pour the wonders and awesomeness of evolution, and future-tech alike. Unlike in Book three (2061), which lacked anything about the advancements in technology, this book makes up for it, totally!

Frank Poole's experiences after returning back a millennia later, into Star City, a ringed structure at the Geostationary Earth Orbit connected to Earth by four Space Towers at the Equator, and his lear
A 2 is probably a little too harsh, but I had some problems with this book. The most obvious being that I don't really see why it was written. I think I was 2/3 of the way done and asked myself what the point was. And, to be honest, nothing ever really happened. It was mostly just descriptions of what the life of a human had become in the year 3001 (ie what technologies we had invented) and chapters that were just copied and pasted from previous books. I literally skipped an entire chapter (that ...more
Henry Avila
May 30, 2013 Henry Avila rated it liked it
The 4th and last of the 2001 series. Dr.Heywood Floyd is not in this novel.Even the eternal, good doctor, can't live 1,000 years.But Frank Poole, that's a horse of a different color.Frank's body is floating, floating,being pushed out into the limitless universe.Gently moving up and down,twisting, tumbling,passing numerous distant planets,asteroids,rocks.Even an occasional comet.Unseen in the darkness ,in a calm peaceful sleep.Leaving the troubled Solar System behind.What dreams he must have had. ...more
Oct 13, 2011 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The late Arthur C. Clarke is one of my favorite science fiction writers and 2001: A Space Odyssey, based on an earlier short story of his, The Sentinel (1948), has always been something of a spiritual experience for me, even though I am not prone to spiritual experiences. But, given the prescient depiction of the moon and our galaxy in those pre-Apollo mission days, both film and book are breathtaking.
For this current generation reared on CGI animation and blockbuster special effects and IMAX,
It's both amusing and sad when a book series falls flat on its face during its final leaps. The Odyssey series is, unfortunately, one of these. Except instead of attempting to get back up and trying to pretend its fall never happened, 3001 wallows in the failure, following the same idea as 2061; nothing happens. Well, nothing substantial, anyway.

Let me be the first to say that I don't mind that Frank comes back to life. It was a (sort of) logical way to show Dave's human side (sort of) while sti
Angelo Giardini
Em 3001, A Odisséia Final, Arthur C. Clarke apresenta algumas respostas a todas as dúvidas geradas na cabeça daqueles que leram ou assistiram às adaptações cinematográficas de 2001, Uma Odisséia no Espaço, e 2010, Uma Odisséia no Espaço 2. Quem são os monolitos, quem os comanda e qual o seu propósito são algumas das perguntas já respondidas nas duas primeiras páginas da obra.

Já a história em si gira em torno do resgate, mil anos depois, do corpo do astronauta Frank Poole, abandonado, em 2001, pe
Jun 18, 2012 T rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
3001: The Final Odyssey brings Arthur C. Clarke's famed series to a merciful end, closing out what was perhaps a misguided effort from the beginning, or at least from 14 years after the first book, when a sequel was written.

Trouble began brewing in the Odyssey series with the release of 2010: Odyssey Two, in which Clarke decided to abandon all differences between the previous book and the movie version, and act as though only the movie events had occurred. As someone who greatly preferred the bo
It is noteworthy to consider how Arthur Clarke opened the third book, and what the ramifications to the entire series were. With wanting pragmatism, he wrote that:

"Just as 2010: Odyssey Two was not a direct sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey, so this book is not a linear sequel to 2010. They must all be considered as variations on the same theme, involving many of the same characters and situations, but not necessarily happening in the same universe.
Developments since Stanley Kubrick suggested in
3001: The Final Odyssey is ultimately a flawed book, written to end a series which has sadly become increasingly redundant. Sad? Yes, because Arthur C. Clarke was a phenomenally good scientist with a lively imagination and the ability to craft very readable novels.

3001 is the 4th and final volume in Arthur C. Clarke’s “Odyssey” series, starting with “2001”. The other 2 books are “201o - Odyssey 2” and “2061 - Odyssey 3”. I have to admit to not having read the middle 2 books, but since Arthur C.
I've got to say this was very disappointing. It started strong; I thought it was going to easily be the best in the series since 2001. But it ends with very little enlightenment and the big ending has a very unfortunate similarity (oh, spoiler alert I guess)to Independence Day . Then to top it off, thinking you had a good chunk of book left there is a pointless (though aren't they all)epilogue followed by twenty pages of acknowledgements.

Clarke is a great science fiction "idea" guy, probably
Sep 01, 2014 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It's a thousand years since Frank Poole's death at the metaphorical hands of HAL and humanity has entered a new golden age. A spaceship finds Poole floating deep in the solar system and with the help of 3001 technology he is revived. Poole's second life allows him to see what humanity has become and soon realizes he might be may still be able to once again meet fellow astronaut Dave Bowman, or the thing he has become anyway.

Straight away I'm afraid I must point out this last Odyssey book is the
Dave In
Oct 27, 2014 Dave In rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read it yourself and then try to tell me it deserves more stars. I simply cannot connect this work with the absolute genius Clarke displayed with "Childhood's End" or the first 1968 Odyssey novel. Here's the synopsis:

1. Discovery astronaut Frank Poole is found floating in space in the year 3001. He is reanimated, and tries to adjust to life in the 31st century.

2. Frank get's bored and hitches a ride to a colony on Jupiter's moon, Ganymede.

3. Meanwhile, for the past 100 years, the hybrid plant/an
Perry Whitford
Of the two astronauts awake on the spaceship Discovery when the super-computer HAL went nuts, Frank Poole certainly drew the short straw. While Dave Bowman ended up an immortal extraterrestrial hybrid with the powers of a god, poor Poole ended up left for dead and floating off into the cold vacuum of space.

Left for dead, but not - as we discover at the start of the fourth and final Space Odyssey story - actually dead. His body frozen into an effective state of hibernation, Poole floats unconscio
May 12, 2015 Stella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction, 2015
This may be my favorite Odyssey. (although I thought that after each of the Odyssey books)
But really, I am just so thrilled with this one, how genius to bring back Frank Poole from the dead and to put the 21st century scientist in the 31st century.
I savored every word, every image, really and it read so plausible.
Hope we will achieve that society from 31 century. (Clarke seems to think so in other of his books, there is always some kind of Utopia there)

Check this out:
"It was generally agreed t
I have quite enjoyed reading Arthur C Clarke's four-parter, but one of Clarke's tricks does not hold up well to a marathon run through the series. I noticed that every book takes large sections of text from earlier books, pasting them in as flashbacks that are word for word reproductions of what he said the first time. If there were supposed to be subtle changes from one book to the next, I didn't see any. I've only seen David Bowman's flythrough of Jupiter and visit to the oceans of Europa abou ...more
Sep 23, 2015 Efka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A great ending of a series. And it's even more astonishing that Arthur C. Clarke managed to end his famous series by writing an utopia, which is not so very common a genre, isn't it? It's short, but it's really well done and the reason of taking us to the year 3001 is brilliant. Certainly 3001 is as good as 2001.
Sep 06, 2015 Daniorte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
He intentado verle el punto positivo a este final de saga y no lo he conseguido. Da una sensación de haber alargado forzosamente la saga. Si al menos esto se hubiera hecho para dar un final digno pues lo entendería pero con el final que le da se te queda cara de tonto.

La forma de escribir el libro a través tampoco me ha gustado, no se llega a profundizar en ningún personaje y producen todos bastante indiferencia. No es mi intención desvelar nada clave de la trama, pero con lo grande que son las
Sep 06, 2015 Matias rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Al comenzar este libro estaba muy emocionado por lo que me esperaba. La culminación de una de saga de ciencia ficción siempre es un evento de lo más emotivo.
La historia comienza cuando un crucero recolector de cometas encuentra el cuerpo de Frank Poole, que luego de mil años continua con vida. Y de ahí la historia se desarrolla contando su transición al siglo 31 y como vuelve a Júpiter una vez más para enfrentarse a su pasado.
Verdaderamente una historia de ciencia ficción excelente aunque está e
Edward Davies
Dec 23, 2015 Edward Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay ending to the set of books, with a story line that wasn't as confusing as some of the instalments that preceded it. That said, the ending was a little abrupt and seemed to come out of nowhere, and it would have been nice to have a more rounded finish to the series!
Kadir Kılıç
2061'den sonra 3001 çok güzel geldi ve seri güzel bir şekilde sonlandı.Serideki kitapları en sevdiğimden en az Sevdiğime sıralayacak olursam 2010>3001>2001>2061 şeklinde olur.
Μιτς Γιωτίξ
Copy pasting from previous books instead of writing new descriptions, progressing the story only on the last 30-40 pages and closing this awesome series with a bland ending. Needless to say, it was a kind of a let down, unlike the first and second books which were AMAZING. I seriously hope that Clarke doesn't do the same "mistakes" in his other books because I seriously enjoy his writing style and subjects.
I'm giving it 3 stars instead of 2 because of Clarke's presentation of future humanity, an
Mar 12, 2016 Zaru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I actually liked this better than 2061. It has a different feel, this is very futuristic compared to the rest of the books (perhaps obvious considering its placement 1000 years after the first) and i love it. There is much more strange and crazy tech to excite the imagination.

There is also at the end of the book a sources section with more detailed explanations of real names/stuff he included in the book. As well as a little explanation of what was going on in the world of physics/space explorat
Pawel Szupryczynski
I respect Arthur C. Clarke very much. His visions, imagination, scientific base for books is astonishing. Yet, It's truly terrible how the Space Odyssey "slides down" after two first books.

The biggest "sin" for me is that each book is a separate entity, kind of parallel universe. The characters are the same, but the facts/past events change in every book. I could understand that in Odyssey 2010, as there was a movie made in parallel and the space program seemed to be in different stage when Clar
Mar 19, 2016 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many high hopes building up from previous books, I think I was expecting too much from it. I liked the story, it was amazing to see the evolution of man from Moonwatcher to the amazing people of 3001. And I really enjoyed all the science fiction bit, it's amazing, it's truly a future city. But the bit with the Monoliths and the Firstborns... I really was excepting so much more from them. More interaction. It ends well. It ends probably my as it should, with the mystery it should. But after so ...more
Jul 21, 2016 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I jos jedna knjiga koju mi je tesko oceniti. Sa jedne strane imamo odlican opis moguce buducnosti (vrlo pozitivna buducnost) prikazane kroz oci nekoga ko dolazi iz naseg vremena. Ideje i nivo detalja u tom delu su odlicni iprosto raspiruju mastu.

Ali u druom delu knjige dobija se utisak da gosn Klark nije imao cistu viziju sta je uopste hteo da kaze sa knjigom pa citava prica ima nekako nedoreceni osecaj. Plus di je nestao Hejvud Flojd?

Ipak knjiga daje dosta odgovora ne mnoga pitanja iz prethodni
  • Fantastic Voyage II:  Destination Brain
  • Manifold: Space (Manifold, #2)
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • Venus
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • Mindbridge (Collector's Edition)
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...

Space Odyssey (4 books)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)

“My favourite definition of an intellectual: 'Someone who has been educated beyond his/her intelligence.

[Sources and Acknowledgements: Chapter 19]”
“Never attribute to malevolence what is merely due to incompetence” 39 likes