Start by marking “Somewhere Over the Sun” as Want to Read:
Somewhere Over the Sun

Somewhere Over the Sun

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Alan, a spirited young writer with a wandering imagination has discovered that the stories he writes are suddenly coming to life. At the suggestion of his loving father, Alan embarks on a quixotic journey to visit friends and use his new found gift to write them all happier lives. There are a few limitations to his power; he can't cure diseases, he can't summon pots of gol ...more
Published November 15th 2010 by Dog Ear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere Over the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere Over the Sun

Leo Martin
Apr 16, 2011 Leo Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-recommend
What if we’re never really in control of what will happen in our lives? What if someone’s out there, writing his literary dream and you stumbled upon him in the streets, you caught his attention and he decided to put you in his work, combining a hundred words about you, what will happen to you, what you’ll have to become and then what he wrote will soon materialize into reality just because he has the power to do so, to turn fiction into nonfiction, these are just a few of the many questions tha ...more
Jon
Jan 07, 2015 Jon rated it liked it
I've written so much about what I think of this book in so many places. But I just can't stop thinking about it, I can't stop talking about it. The ending, what does it mean? What are its greater consequences?

I love it to pieces. I love it like I love the smell of books and the feel of the sand between my toes and the ocean spray across my face. It's reached a stage where I will never travel without it, in case I need it.
Tareto Ndosi
Jan 02, 2011 Tareto Ndosi rated it really liked it
every page held a smile. every character seemed familiar. every storyline felt like a memory.
it's the kind of book that makes you stop and imagine what it's like to be the rose that it encourages you to stop and smell.
we could all do with at least a taste of the sort of out-of-the-box thinking that hugs these pages.
Valerie (Reader of books. Enthralled by Words.)
Adi Alsaid did it again, his beautiful words and incredible story wrecked me; tears are falling down my face because of Alan's story and the stories that he shared with the world. I felt ALL OF THE EMOTIONS: happy, sad, giddy, confused, intrigued, and most importantly, content with the ending.

Bravo Adi Alsaid, bravo.

After finishing Let’s Get Lost, Adi Alsaid’s new YA novel, I NEEDED more of his writing which led me to scavenge the inter-webs until I found this gem. I find such a joy in reading b
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Jun 27, 2011 Sarah (Workaday Reads) rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Alan has recently discovered that the stories he writes are coming true, but they come with a price in the form of bad headaches. After conferring with his father, his best friend, he decides to visit his close friends and write them each a story in an effort to bring them happiness.

The story was very uplifting and positive. Alan's actions are fueled by love for his friends. The source of his gift isn't revealed until the end, but it is easily guessed at before you get halfway through the book.

M
Jimmy
Apr 27, 2011 Jimmy rated it really liked it
If you want to read a feel good book about happiness, then this is your go-to book. From characterization to plot to overall tone, I feel like this would be a wonderful book to really get yourself re-inspired in life in regards to your outlook on happiness. I think the only people who won't like this book at all are those Debbie Downers (and no offense to those named Debbie).

"There's always something hidden, and on most days we don't bother to look. But this world is capable of surprising us. Al
Alice Bola
May 20, 2011 Alice Bola rated it it was amazing
Here is the first thing you need to know about this book: When you purchase it (and you will purchase it), make sure you buy a highlighter. This is the kind of book that begs to be read with a highlighter, or better yet a notebook and pen so you can jot down your thoughts. This kind of book draws you in, makes you sit in that comfy chair, it'll make you want to stay up at night reading. It will.

Here is the next thing you need to know: I am a crier in real life and during certain movies and/or
Renda Dodge
Sep 02, 2011 Renda Dodge rated it it was amazing
Looking for and finding good indie books can be a chore. It’s not like you can walk into Barnes and Noble and go straight to the “off-culture, well-written books by independent writers” section. You have to let Amazon, Twitter, Facebook and Good Reads do the work for you.

I met Adi Alsaid, virtually, over Twitter because Adi was doing what all indie writers should do—building platform. He asked to write an article for Line Zero. We featured his article in the Winter issue, and I loved his quirky
Carrie
Mar 06, 2011 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I knew I'd love this book after reading the excerpt on the author's website, and I was not mistaken. It was fun and quirky and made me smile almost immediately. The thing I loved most about this book was the way it reminded me about imagination and how it important it is to cultivate it. We lose so much of our imagination once we leave childhood and Alsaid brings it back gloriously. And I can promise you I've never read a more creative sex scene in my life. I'll never look at my clothes the same ...more
Kim
Mar 26, 2012 Kim rated it did not like it
As much as I wanted to like this book, as it started off seeming fresh and different, I soon got incredibly tired of it. Throughout reading, I felt the overwhelming sensation that this book was written trying to be clever, which rather spoiled it for me. While I appreciated the imaginative personifications of otherwise inanimate objects, and the story-arc overall, I was disappointed in the narrative and the human characters themselves.
I wanted to like it, but I just found it impossible to conne
Melissa
Feb 06, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I've just finished reading this book and wow! I don't think I've read anything quite like it. The story is unique and inspiring. As recreational writer, I feel the need to sit down and write myself a fictional happily ever after just to feel the words flow and hope against hope that maybe some of it will come to life.

Somewhere Over the Sun for me gives hope when life seems mundane and takes what little joys we all take for granted and create magical experiences from them.

Thank you!

Cassandra Jo
Dec 07, 2011 Cassandra Jo rated it it was amazing
I recently started rereading this book. I should go to it at least once a year because it really effects my mood. This book has a way of waking me up into not taking life so seriously. It opens my eyes and forces me to enjoy every little bit of life, even the undesirable parts. I love this book!
Julie
Nov 17, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
I liked this book but I didn't love it. I wanted to love it. For being a short book it felt wordy to me. I knew where we were headed too. I liked Alan but I didn't connect with him.

I felt like he lived in his head and yet I felt that he did experience life.

This was a 3.5 for me.
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Katrina Joyce Hilario
Katrina Joyce Hilario marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Selena Haidar
Selena Haidar marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Lauren S
Lauren S marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Kaja Wiszniewska
Kaja Wiszniewska marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Sneha
Sneha marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Sarah Wiwchar
Sarah Wiwchar marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Raneem Mohamed
Raneem Mohamed marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Riella
Riella marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Gillian
Gillian marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Eliza Ardary
Eliza Ardary marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
The Ending of SOTS (spoilers, spoilers everywhere) 1 11 May 07, 2011 05:18AM
  • My Love, My Love: or The Peasant Girl
  • Reluctant Hero
  • Messages: Signs, Visits, and Premonitions from Loved Ones Lost on 9/11
  • Extreme Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #6)
  • Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography
  • Madly (New York, #2)
  • The Importance of Music to Girls
  • Time Travel and Warp Drives: A Scientific Guide to Shortcuts through Time and Space
  • The Sinner's Grand Tour: A Journey Through the Historical Underbelly of Europe
  • You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When It Monsoons: The World on One Cartoon a Day
  • Don't Swallow Your Gum!: Myths, Half-Truths, and Outright Lies About Your Body and Health
  • Demons of the Flesh: The Complete Guide to Left Hand Path Sex Magic
  • Complete Poems: Charles Baudelaire
  • African Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Three Weeks in December
  • Pilcrow (John Cromer, #1)
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
  • The Last Summer of Us
Adi Alsaid was born and raised in Mexico City, where he now lives, writes, coaches basketball, and drowns food in hot sauce. He's the author of the YA novels LET'S GET LOST and NEVER ALWAYS SOMETIMES. He's at work on a third book which will be released in 2017.
More about Adi Alsaid...

“I hate technology. It provides so many different channels of loneliness. Every time you check your email and don’t see a new message, you know that, even though people have the ability to contact you at any time of the day from anywhere on the planet, no one is interested in doing so. Phones are constant reminders that 160 people you know fairly well have nothing to say to you most of the time.” 17 likes
“God crafted men’s eyes and women’s breast from the same material, I’m convinced. Whenever eyes wander toward cleavage, they’re just trying to feel like they’re home. It’s also why breasts always know when they’re being watched.” 6 likes