Somewhere Over the Sun

Somewhere Over the Sun

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Alan, a spirited young writer with a wandering imagination has discovered that the stories he writes are suddenly coming to life. At the suggestion of his loving father, Alan embarks on a quixotic journey to visit friends and use his new found gift to write them all happier lives. There are a few limitations to his power; he can't cure diseases, he can't summon pots of gol...more
Published November 15th 2010 by Dog Ear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere Over the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere Over the Sun

Leo Martin
What if we’re never really in control of what will happen in our lives? What if someone’s out there, writing his literary dream and you stumbled upon him in the streets, you caught his attention and he decided to put you in his work, combining a hundred words about you, what will happen to you, what you’ll have to become and then what he wrote will soon materialize into reality just because he has the power to do so, to turn fiction into nonfiction, these are just a few of the many questions tha...more
Jon
May 07, 2011 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: special
I've written so much about what I think of this book in so many places. But I just can't stop thinking about it, I can't stop talking about it. The ending, what does it mean? What are its greater consequences?

I love it to pieces. I love it like I love the smell of books and the feel of the sand between my toes and the ocean spray across my face. It's reached a stage where I will never travel without it, in case I need it.
Tareto Ndosi
every page held a smile. every character seemed familiar. every storyline felt like a memory.
it's the kind of book that makes you stop and imagine what it's like to be the rose that it encourages you to stop and smell.
we could all do with at least a taste of the sort of out-of-the-box thinking that hugs these pages.
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Alan has recently discovered that the stories he writes are coming true, but they come with a price in the form of bad headaches. After conferring with his father, his best friend, he decides to visit his close friends and write them each a story in an effort to bring them happiness.

The story was very uplifting and positive. Alan's actions are fueled by love for his friends. The source of his gift isn't revealed until the end, but it is easily guessed at before you get halfway through the book.

M...more
Jimmy
If you want to read a feel good book about happiness, then this is your go-to book. From characterization to plot to overall tone, I feel like this would be a wonderful book to really get yourself re-inspired in life in regards to your outlook on happiness. I think the only people who won't like this book at all are those Debbie Downers (and no offense to those named Debbie).

"There's always something hidden, and on most days we don't bother to look. But this world is capable of surprising us. Al...more
Alice Bola
Here is the first thing you need to know about this book: When you purchase it (and you will purchase it), make sure you buy a highlighter. This is the kind of book that begs to be read with a highlighter, or better yet a notebook and pen so you can jot down your thoughts. This kind of book draws you in, makes you sit in that comfy chair, it'll make you want to stay up at night reading. It will.

Here is the next thing you need to know: I am a crier in real life and during certain movies and/or...more
Renda Dodge
Looking for and finding good indie books can be a chore. It’s not like you can walk into Barnes and Noble and go straight to the “off-culture, well-written books by independent writers” section. You have to let Amazon, Twitter, Facebook and Good Reads do the work for you.

I met Adi Alsaid, virtually, over Twitter because Adi was doing what all indie writers should do—building platform. He asked to write an article for Line Zero. We featured his article in the Winter issue, and I loved his quirky...more
Astronaut8
Okay i cant find this book in online bookstores in my country and im able to download ebook online cause i dont own credit card so if anyone who has ebook could just email it to me id be very very VERY grateful . i really want to read this book . my email is : spfreak93@gmail.com
Carrie
I knew I'd love this book after reading the excerpt on the author's website, and I was not mistaken. It was fun and quirky and made me smile almost immediately. The thing I loved most about this book was the way it reminded me about imagination and how it important it is to cultivate it. We lose so much of our imagination once we leave childhood and Alsaid brings it back gloriously. And I can promise you I've never read a more creative sex scene in my life. I'll never look at my clothes the same...more
Kim
As much as I wanted to like this book, as it started off seeming fresh and different, I soon got incredibly tired of it. Throughout reading, I felt the overwhelming sensation that this book was written trying to be clever, which rather spoiled it for me. While I appreciated the imaginative personifications of otherwise inanimate objects, and the story-arc overall, I was disappointed in the narrative and the human characters themselves.
I wanted to like it, but I just found it impossible to conne...more
Melissa
I've just finished reading this book and wow! I don't think I've read anything quite like it. The story is unique and inspiring. As recreational writer, I feel the need to sit down and write myself a fictional happily ever after just to feel the words flow and hope against hope that maybe some of it will come to life.

Somewhere Over the Sun for me gives hope when life seems mundane and takes what little joys we all take for granted and create magical experiences from them.

Thank you!

Kelly Tobey
This book was absolutely captivating from the very first to the final words; it's impossible to tell that this is Alsaid's debut novel. He cleverly intertwines many different characters and their developments, combining fantasy and reality. What's real and what's not? It's up to you to decide. Somewhere Over the Sun is a classic example of strong fiction writing at its best. I highly recommend this novel for a weekend on the couch because you just won't be able to put it down.
Cassandra Jo
I recently started rereading this book. I should go to it at least once a year because it really effects my mood. This book has a way of waking me up into not taking life so seriously. It opens my eyes and forces me to enjoy every little bit of life, even the undesirable parts. I love this book!
Julie
I liked this book but I didn't love it. I wanted to love it. For being a short book it felt wordy to me. I knew where we were headed too. I liked Alan but I didn't connect with him.

I felt like he lived in his head and yet I felt that he did experience life.

This was a 3.5 for me.
Moon
Moon marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Andrea  A. Colósimo
Andrea A. Colósimo marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Ethan Qualle
Ethan Qualle marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Tyler Wilson
Tyler Wilson marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Margie
Margie marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Bea Angeles
Bea Angeles marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
J
J added it
Aug 16, 2014
Sidne
Sidne marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Nev
Nev marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Fariha
Fariha marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Jordan Van vranken
Jordan Van vranken marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Roy Rivera
Roy Rivera marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
The Ending of SOTS (spoilers, spoilers everywhere) 1 11 May 07, 2011 05:18AM
Adi Alsaid was born and raised in Mexico City, then studied at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. While in class, he mostly read fiction and continuously failed to fill out crossword puzzles, so it's no surprise that after graduating, he did not go into business world but rather packed up his apartment into his car and escaped to the California coastline to become a writer. He's now back in his...more
More about Adi Alsaid...
Let's Get Lost Adi Alsaid Untitled The Calvin Sky

“I hate technology. It provides so many different channels of loneliness. Every time you check your email and don’t see a new message, you know that, even though people have the ability to contact you at any time of the day from anywhere on the planet, no one is interested in doing so. Phones are constant reminders that 160 people you know fairly well have nothing to say to you most of the time.” 12 likes
“God crafted men’s eyes and women’s breast from the same material, I’m convinced. Whenever eyes wander toward cleavage, they’re just trying to feel like they’re home. It’s also why breasts always know when they’re being watched.” 6 likes