Start by marking “Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known” as Want to Read:
Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known

Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  382 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The dazzling, inimitable Molly Ivins is back, with her own personal Hall of Fame of America’s most amazing and outlandish politicians–the wicked, the wise, the witty, and the witless–drawn from more than twenty years of reporting on the folks who attempt to run our government (in some cases, into the ground).

Who Let the Dogs In? takes us on a wild ride through two decades
Audio, 0 pages
Published June 10th 2004 by Random House Audio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Who Let the Dogs In?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Let the Dogs In?

James
Feb 10, 2008 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
A very good book from near the end of Molly Ivins' career and life; she died too young and is needed now as much as ever. This is a funny read, but at the same time, I found myself feeling sad and discouraged as I thought over the events of the last several years in American politics and our economy, environment, and culture. Sometimes the good guys lose, and we may not be able to get back everything that's been lost, stolen, or destroyed.
Cheryl Gatling
This book is a collection of Molly Ivins old newspaper columns. As such, it's all old news. It's topical, and it's dated. I learned many things about the politics of the recent past. But I learned more about what kind of human being Molly Ivins was. The more I read, the more I loved her. She was smart, and laugh-out-loud funny, and I might have loved her for that alone, but I loved her more dearly for her deep-rooted decency, and belief in this country. She believes that government is supposed t ...more
Katy
Jun 21, 2010 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those of you who don't know, Molly Ivins was a political journalist and humorist. She was born and raised in Texas and as her career grew she moved from Texas politics to the national stage. She was a Texas liberal, a rare breed indeed. She wrote a syndicated column, and this book is a collection of some of those columns.

I really enjoyed this book. The author has a gift for writing as a home-spun Texan, full of idioms and southern commentary, yet I still found myself needing a dictionary eve
Ari
Aug 22, 2010 Ari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's start with the downsides: this is a fairly comprehensive collection of Ivins' work, and, as such, treads a lot of familiar ground. Her chapters worth of insights on Clinton, Bush and the big-name scandals of years past are nothing fresh; and lacking currentness, the constant exhortations along the same few lines - Clinton is a great politician and an upbeat guy, Bush isn't as dumb as you think - are a little tiring.

But that's not why you're reading this book. You're reading it for Ivins' f
Genie
Jun 22, 2010 Genie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Those who say no one is irreplaceable, obviously never read the political writings of Molly Ivans.
During the forty + years of reporting on politics for both the Ft.Worth Star Telegram and the Texas Observer, Ivans gave political analysis with both insight and a sharp wit. This book is a compilation of her best articles written during the Nixon years and continuing through the G.W. Bush administration.

One of the best political satirist in journalism, Ivins never relied on the use of humor alone.
Margie
Jun 16, 2009 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whereas most of Molly's earlier books focused on a particular era (Bushwacked, for instance, is from when the Shrub was in office), this is a compilation of pieces she wrote from the time Bush the Elder was in office. They're not her best pieces (those, of course, were published in her previous books), but Molly Ivins when she wasn't at her best was funnier and more insightful than most people. Reading this collection mostly made me miss her, but also rekindled the joy of reading her work.
Phil Lawless
Apr 10, 2016 Phil Lawless rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mollie-ivins
This is a collection of columns about some, or most, of Molly Ivin's subjects from the Shrub Bush years to the Bush 43 years. Not all connected, and some really complementary columns about some of her acquaintances who had died. It is a mixed bag, with some columns recycled from Bushwhacked, and others more contemporary. A literary scholar might discern changes from previous columns, but to little consequence. According to Molly, we have all been screwed, but there have been some good guys stand ...more
Kate
Oct 07, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The dazzling, inimitable Molly Ivins is back, with her own personal Hall of Fame of America's most amazing and outlandish politicians -- the wicked, the wise, the witty, and the witless -- drawn from more than twenty years of reporting on the folks who attempt to run our government (in some cases, into the ground).

Who Let the Dogs In? takes us on a wild ride through two decades of political life, from Ronald Regan, through Big George and Bill Clinton, to 9our current top dog, known to Ivins rea
kate
Aaaawwwwwwhhhhhhh.....blatant bleeding heart liberal. It has been so long since I read or heard one.

This is a good sampler of her work - a couple of decades of washington politics and texan politics (how does a liberal love texas?) from the perspective of someone who writes like she is a warm, intelligent, funny idealist.

Reliving the frustration with the Clinton administration and the devastation of the Bush administration turning from predictable Republican shenanigans to a glimpse into somethi
A.
Jan 13, 2013 A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Bless the late, great Molly Ivins. How I wish her particular brand of intelligent Texan snark was still around, because heaven knows the country deserves it. As a child of the 80s, I was mostly familiar with Ivins' comments on George W. Bush and Rick Perry; it was a treat (and educational) to read her writings on Clinton and George Bush, given I was busy being in elementary school at the times of their presidencies.

I also admit that as a Southerner (not Texan, but with Texan parents) she does m
Jill
May 11, 2008 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political-social
A collection of her newspaper columns about politics and/or the people in them. She covers Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, various Texas politicians, and a bunch of commentary about various other people. Never say she didn't tell you what you needed to know about them!

It can be a long read because the content is rather heavy, even when lightened with humor. It is interesting to read it from the vantage point of 7 1/2 years of Dubya - she called it and so many of the things she was trying to g
Colleen Martin
Apr 02, 2008 Colleen Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This isn't a book of new material, but rather a compilation of some of the articles Molly Ivins wrote throughout her 40-year political reporting career. Her insight is amazing and, nine times out of ten, spot-on. If every American listened to her common sense approach to politics and government, we'd probably be in a better place today. No one is safe - regardless of what party you belong to, if you're an elected official and you screw up, you will be eviscerated in print. I especially like her ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 06, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh how I miss Molly! The sad thing is everything she wrote about ten, twenty years ago is just more so.
Mark Stodghill
Sep 24, 2015 Mark Stodghill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
irreverant liberal southern woman....miss her sorely
Jimbo
Feb 11, 2016 Jimbo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Molly Ivins had a VERY different view of things than I do, but I thoroughly enjoyed her writing talents and sense of humor....
Sharon Anne Beers
Feb 17, 2016 Sharon Anne Beers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny. RIP Molly.
Tracy
Dec 16, 2015 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Clever, but past it's time.
Jimyanni
Sep 02, 2010 Jimyanni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This book is essentially a "greatest hits" album; it's a retrospective on Molly's best political commentary over the last 20-30 years of her life (running from Reagan to W. Bush). Any long-time fan will have seen most or all of these columns before. But they ARE a selection of her best work, and that makes it quite good indeed. Don't read it if you've read everything she's ever read & don't want reruns, but other than that, highly recommended.
Gene
Sep 29, 2012 Gene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has Molly Ivins really been gone five years?

The world without her is a much poorer and sadder place.

This book which details years of observation of various political animals is a great place to get to know Molly as well. Her observations on the Great State (eg-Texas) and the political theater to be found there are priceless. I'm unhappy we didn't get a book about the Tea Party from her. It would've been funny and true. RIP, Molly.
Beetletheknee
This book was really interesting because SHE was really interesting. She's got such a way with words, and her attitude and perspective are refreshing in a sort of caustic way. I think I'd very much like to read her other books, especially more focused on current political ... uh, characters, because for the most part, many of the people she skewered in here I've never heard of. Still funny though!
Steve
Jan 03, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 12-1-12
I'm enjoying this. Well, enjoying isn't quite the right word but Molly still makes me laugh. Yes, it is dated but when you read things about Reagan for example as they happened and then see how they still affect us today, you have to laugh or shake you head.

On another point, I always enjoy her stories about John Henry Faulk and then cry that he is gone too.
Audrey
Jan 25, 2008 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jackie, Brandie, Emma, Tom
After hearing an interview on national public radio, I decided to read this book and see if it lived up to the billing. It did. This is a hilarious account of political lives. However, it also chronicles the corporate political ties that have developed through the years and our decaying bill of rights. Give it a read and see what you think.
Candice
Jul 25, 2007 Candice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I miss Molly Ivins. That's why I bought this book of some of her collected political satire. Turns out there was plenty to laugh about even before the current Bush administration. And she does it with such wit and style! Reminds me that things were bad back then too before I really paid any attention to politics. May she rest in peace!
Haley
Feb 26, 2008 Haley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My only regret of reading this book is that the wonderful and talented Molly Ivins won't be around to write more. She connects to people in a way that I wish more people in government would. Her writing is not only funny, engaging and incredibly informed but also damn feisty. I recommend this book to everyone!
Hollis
Jun 23, 2010 Hollis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous selection of op-eds from the past 20 years. Molly is so pithy and just tells it like it is. On Bill Clinton: Couldn't he keep his penis in his pants for 8 short years? She died several decades too young. I would have liked to have read her commentary on the 2010's and 20's.
Paul Dinger
Jan 09, 2009 Paul Dinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Molly Ivins sadly passed away recently and it is still a national tragedy. This book shows she is a lot more than just a critic of the Bush administration. This is a great read for her views on politics for the last thirty years. I couldn't put it down it was so interesting.
Em
A good collection of classic Ivins, but it gets almost a little too comprehensive toward the end. The discussions of national politicians and personalities is much more interesting than the local folks that populate most of the end of the book.
Allison
Jul 27, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty funny, edgy, great for the current event politically savvy. Both politicl parties provide material for the comedic discourse. Ivins is so right-on with her sarcastic and pointed talks.
TJ
Apr 26, 2007 TJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Molly Ivins is a great story teller and a great writer. She had a keen eye for the truth and absurdity in daily living and in politics. I only wish more people had listened to her insights on W.
Mar 17, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
Molly Ivins is an author who is sure to make you laugh and then think. This book was no exception. After laughing, you might then feel the pain of the reality Ivins describes.
  • There's Nothing in the Middle of the Road but Yellow Stripes and Dead Armadillos: A Work of Political Subversion
  • Bushworld
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • Had Enough?: A Handbook for Fighting Back
  • Who Will Tell the People: The Betrayal of American Democracy
  • It's Not Mean If It's True: More Trials from My Queer Life
  • Sweet Charity?: Emergency Food and the End of Entitlement
  • Memo to the President Elect LP: How We Can Restore America's Reputation and Leadership
  • Molly Ivins: A Rebel Life
  • Why America Slept: The Reasons Behind Our Failure to Prevent 9/11
  • Obliviously On He Sails: The Bush Administration in Rhyme
  • Spanking the Donkey: Dispatches from the Dumb Season
  • Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot
  • Where the Right Went Wrong: How Neoconservatives Subverted the Reagan Revolution and Hijacked the Bush Presidency
  • Parliament of Whores: A Lone Humorist Attempts to Explain the Entire U.S. Government
  • Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them
  • The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time And Fighting Wars
  • War in a Time of Peace: Bush, Clinton and the Generals
American newspaper columnist, political commentator, and best-selling author from Austin, Texas.

More about Molly Ivins...