Start by marking “Dancing at Ciro's: A Family's Love, Loss, and Scandal on the Sunset Strip” as Want to Read:
Dancing at Ciro's: A Family's Love, Loss, and Scandal on the Sunset Strip

Dancing at Ciro's: A Family's Love, Loss, and Scandal on the Sunset Strip

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In 1958, young Sheila Weller was living a charmed life with her family in Beverly Hills. Her father was a brilliant brain surgeon. Her mother was a movie-magazine writer whose brother owned Hollywood's most dazzling nightclub, Ciro's. Then her world exploded after she witnessed her uncle's brutal attempt to kill her father.

Weller has written a deeply felt memoir of her fam...more
Published March 12th 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing at Ciro's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing at Ciro's

Pat
This book is really a family history. The author tries to make it into something more - first, because her uncle owned Ciro's, a popular 40s-50s nightclub in Hollywood and, second, because her family, both paternal and maternal, were first-generation Jewish Americans who made the move from New York to the West Coast. But it's much more prosaic than that. Just a story about a couple - her parents - who probably should never have married, since they were not well-suited to each other, and who ende...more
Haley Hartley
I was so bummed out with this book. I loved "Girls Like Us" from Sheila Weller, but this was just depressing. I knew it was going to be a heavy topic to read about but I didn't realize how depressing it would be. Also, at times it went into too much detail of what kind of tumors her dad had studied as nuerosurgeon. I also didn't like how it ended, because it just ended, there was no closure I feel like. Total disappointment.
Kristen
This book was ok. I felt like you needed a lesson in early Hollywood history in order to understand all the people the author mentioned. But she wove it in well and tried to make comparisons to modern day stars to help the reader out. Her family story was interesting, but presented in a boring manner at times. They have a CRAZY family story and I felt she told it a bit too conservatively for my taste.
Erin
I love Sheila Weller's style of writing and after reading Girls Like Us and seeing her speak it was fun to get insight into her own life growing up in Hollywood. Her family is fascinating and it was SO interesting to read all the stories. Definitely recommend it, esp if you lived during the 40s and 50s!
Susan Breslow
Lots of surprises here. More than a Hollywood tell-all, it's a well-written tale of a Jewish family gone west, with a surprising twist toward the end.
Arwen
interesting and sad and ultimately, I wanted a smidge more insight.
Alexa Bergstrom-LaDuke
Alexa Bergstrom-LaDuke marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Christine Seguin
Christine Seguin marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Sandy
Sandy added it
May 02, 2014
Helen Ehrlich
Helen Ehrlich marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Dayle
Dayle marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Valeta
Valeta marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Julia Fierro
Julia Fierro marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Eileen
Eileen added it
Nov 22, 2013
Ashton
Ashton marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
Linda Micelotta
Linda Micelotta marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Pam Small
Pam Small marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Sheila Weller is a bestselling author and award-winning magazine journalist specializing in women’s lives, social issues, cultural history, and feminist investigative.

Her seventh book, The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour – and the Triumph of Women in TV News, will be a major release from Penguin-Random House on September 30, 2014.

Her sixth book was the critically acc...more
More about Sheila Weller...
Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon - and the Journey of a Generation Raging Heart: Intimate Story of the Tragic Marriage of O.J.and Nicole Brown Simpson Marrying the Hangman: A True Story of Privilege, Marriage and Murder The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour, and the (Ongoing, Imperfect, Complicated) Triumph of Women in TV News Saint of Circumstance