Start by marking “Dancing at Ciro's: A Family's Love, Loss, and Scandal on the Sunset Strip” as Want to Read:
Dancing at Ciro's: A Family's Love, Loss, and Scandal on the Sunset Strip

Dancing at Ciro's: A Family's Love, Loss, and Scandal on the Sunset Strip

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In 1958, young Sheila Weller was living a charmed life with her family in Beverly Hills. Her father was a brilliant brain surgeon. Her mother was a movie-magazine writer whose brother owned Hollywood's most dazzling nightclub, Ciro's. Then her world exploded after she witnessed her uncle's brutal attempt to kill her father.

Weller has written a deeply felt memoir of her fam
Published March 12th 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing at Ciro's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing at Ciro's

Maureen Flatley
Apr 05, 2015 Maureen Flatley rated it it was amazing
A touching memoir about a horrible moment in one family's life…..by the incomparable Sheila Weller. Every one of her books is a must read.
Teresa Pugh
May 22, 2015 Teresa Pugh rated it it was amazing
Maybe it’s because I get it, maybe it’s because I was a daughter seeking approval without success, maybe it was the final goodbye and a vast gulf of silence that still separates this daughter from her father, I’m not sure, but I loved this book, I absolutely loved this book. “Dancing at Ciro’s” by Sheila Weller had me talking to myself and feeling every emotional gut punch as I turned those pages. Aside from being a who’s who of 1940s-1950s Hollywood, very dishy I might add, Shelia shines a flas ...more
Pat
May 31, 2009 Pat rated it liked it
This book is really a family history. The author tries to make it into something more - first, because her uncle owned Ciro's, a popular 40s-50s nightclub in Hollywood and, second, because her family, both paternal and maternal, were first-generation Jewish Americans who made the move from New York to the West Coast. But it's much more prosaic than that. Just a story about a couple - her parents - who probably should never have married, since they were not well-suited to each other, and who ende ...more
Kat
Jul 21, 2015 Kat rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars)

Enjoyed for its film, Hollywood, and Sunset Strip history. The family memoir aspect was a bit muddled and lacked distance - understandable considering the author was writing about her own family and was putting some old demons to rest. Perhaps not the strongest biography, but still an interesting read. (And if you are a student of human nature, there is a lot of grist for the mill here.)
Donna
Sep 10, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
A book sale find. I am a magnet for anything related to Hollywood and the glamour era. I did not expect this type of story. What a compelling read this was. Show biz and real regular human life all combined. To live among the Hollywood glitz and try to live a normal life is impossible. I was a bit worn out reading this.

Haley Hartley
Nov 05, 2011 Haley Hartley rated it did not like it
I was so bummed out with this book. I loved "Girls Like Us" from Sheila Weller, but this was just depressing. I knew it was going to be a heavy topic to read about but I didn't realize how depressing it would be. Also, at times it went into too much detail of what kind of tumors her dad had studied as nuerosurgeon. I also didn't like how it ended, because it just ended, there was no closure I feel like. Total disappointment.
Kristen
Apr 21, 2008 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok. I felt like you needed a lesson in early Hollywood history in order to understand all the people the author mentioned. But she wove it in well and tried to make comparisons to modern day stars to help the reader out. Her family story was interesting, but presented in a boring manner at times. They have a CRAZY family story and I felt she told it a bit too conservatively for my taste.
Erin
Jul 07, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
I love Sheila Weller's style of writing and after reading Girls Like Us and seeing her speak it was fun to get insight into her own life growing up in Hollywood. Her family is fascinating and it was SO interesting to read all the stories. Definitely recommend it, esp if you lived during the 40s and 50s!
Susan Breslow
Aug 16, 2013 Susan Breslow rated it really liked it
Lots of surprises here. More than a Hollywood tell-all, it's a well-written tale of a Jewish family gone west, with a surprising twist toward the end.
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Erin Cromer
Erin Cromer marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Jessica Piper
Jessica Piper marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
carolyn l mack
carolyn l mack is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2016
Brigitte Falkenhagen
Brigitte Falkenhagen rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Taylor
Taylor rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Darla Ebert
Darla Ebert rated it liked it
Sarah's Book Nook
Sarah's Book Nook marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Norma
Norma marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Lisagarden
Lisagarden rated it really liked it
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Marnie Zorn
Marnie Zorn marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Jean Korelitz
Jean Korelitz is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2015
Kate Fitzgerald
Kate Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Liz Logan
Liz Logan rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sheila Weller is a bestselling author and award-winning magazine journalist specializing in women’s lives, social issues, cultural history, and feminist investigative.

Her seventh book, The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour – and the Triumph of Women in TV News, will be a major release from Penguin-Random House on September 30, 2014.

Her sixth book was the critically acc
More about Sheila Weller...