Start by marking “Dancing at Ciro's: A Family's Love, Loss, and Scandal on the Sunset Strip” as Want to Read:
Dancing at Ciro's: A Family's Love, Loss, and Scandal on the Sunset Strip

Dancing at Ciro's: A Family's Love, Loss, and Scandal on the Sunset Strip

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In 1958, young Sheila Weller was living a charmed life with her family in Beverly Hills. Her father was a brilliant brain surgeon. Her mother was a movie-magazine writer whose brother owned Hollywood's most dazzling nightclub, Ciro's. Then her world exploded after she witnessed her uncle's brutal attempt to kill her father.

Weller has written a deeply felt memoir of her fam
Published March 12th 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing at Ciro's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing at Ciro's

Maureen Flatley
A touching memoir about a horrible moment in one family's life…..by the incomparable Sheila Weller. Every one of her books is a must read.
Teresa
Maybe it’s because I get it, maybe it’s because I was a daughter seeking approval without success, maybe it was the final goodbye and a vast gulf of silence that still separates this daughter from her father, I’m not sure, but I loved this book, I absolutely loved this book. “Dancing at Ciro’s” by Sheila Weller had me talking to myself and feeling every emotional gut punch as I turned those pages. Aside from being a who’s who of 1940s-1950s Hollywood, very dishy I might add, Shelia shines a flas ...more
Pat
This book is really a family history. The author tries to make it into something more - first, because her uncle owned Ciro's, a popular 40s-50s nightclub in Hollywood and, second, because her family, both paternal and maternal, were first-generation Jewish Americans who made the move from New York to the West Coast. But it's much more prosaic than that. Just a story about a couple - her parents - who probably should never have married, since they were not well-suited to each other, and who ende ...more
Kat
(3.5 stars)

Enjoyed for its film, Hollywood, and Sunset Strip history. The family memoir aspect was a bit muddled and lacked distance - understandable considering the author was writing about her own family and was putting some old demons to rest. Perhaps not the strongest biography, but still an interesting read. (And if you are a student of human nature, there is a lot of grist for the mill here.)
Haley Hartley
I was so bummed out with this book. I loved "Girls Like Us" from Sheila Weller, but this was just depressing. I knew it was going to be a heavy topic to read about but I didn't realize how depressing it would be. Also, at times it went into too much detail of what kind of tumors her dad had studied as nuerosurgeon. I also didn't like how it ended, because it just ended, there was no closure I feel like. Total disappointment.
Kristen
This book was ok. I felt like you needed a lesson in early Hollywood history in order to understand all the people the author mentioned. But she wove it in well and tried to make comparisons to modern day stars to help the reader out. Her family story was interesting, but presented in a boring manner at times. They have a CRAZY family story and I felt she told it a bit too conservatively for my taste.
Erin
I love Sheila Weller's style of writing and after reading Girls Like Us and seeing her speak it was fun to get insight into her own life growing up in Hollywood. Her family is fascinating and it was SO interesting to read all the stories. Definitely recommend it, esp if you lived during the 40s and 50s!
Susan Breslow
Lots of surprises here. More than a Hollywood tell-all, it's a well-written tale of a Jewish family gone west, with a surprising twist toward the end.
Donna
Donna is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2015
Julie Jasumback
Julie Jasumback marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Nicky Weirbach
Nicky Weirbach marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Marley
Marley marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Abby Fellingham
Abby Fellingham marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Alexa Bergstrom-LaDuke
Alexa Bergstrom-LaDuke marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Christine Seguin
Christine Seguin marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sheila Weller is a bestselling author and award-winning magazine journalist specializing in women’s lives, social issues, cultural history, and feminist investigative.

Her seventh book, The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour – and the Triumph of Women in TV News, will be a major release from Penguin-Random House on September 30, 2014.

Her sixth book was the critically acc
More about Sheila Weller...
Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon - and the Journey of a Generation The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour, and the (Ongoing, Imperfect, Complicated) Triumph of Women in TV News Raging Heart: Intimate Story of the Tragic Marriage of O.J.and Nicole Brown Simpson Marrying the Hangman: A True Story of Privilege, Marriage and Murder Saint of Circumstance