Start by marking “Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Volume I” as Want to Read:
Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Volume I

Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Volume I (Nightmares & Dreamscapes #1/3)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  555 ratings  ·  26 reviews

New to Pocket Books’ Stephen King backlist—the short story collection containing the story "Dolan’s Cadillac," soon to be released as a feature film starring Christian Slater and Wes Bentley.

With numerous unforgettable movies based on his short stories—including Shawshank Redemption, 1408, and The Green Mile—readers will be delighted to rediscover this classic collection,
Audio, 0 pages
Published February 17th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Volume I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Volume I

Edward Lorn
This is for the audio, which is separated into three books.

"Suffer the Little Children", as read by Whoopi Goldberg, gets three stars for rehashing that old Invasion of the Body Snatchers plot horror authors are so fond of.

"Crouch End", as read by Tim Curry, is one of the best audiobook performances I've heard, and the story deserves every single star I can give it because it's creepy-good.

"Rainy Season", as read by Lisa Simpson... I mean, Yeardley Smith, gets four stars for being weird enough
Kandice
The Moving Finger - 3 stars
Sneakers - 5 stars
You Know They Got a Hell of a Band - 4 stars
Home Delivery - 5 stars
Rainy Season - 4 stars (read by Yeardly Smith/voice of Lisa Simpson) sounded almost surreal
My Pretty Pony - 5 stars
The Ten O'Clock People - 5 stars
Crouch End - 2 stars (my least favo
Barbara ★
I know better, I know better, I know better. Damn it I know better than to read short stories. They are so boring, pointless and worthless. I picked up three volumes of Nightmares and Dreamscapes in a used bookstore for $1 each and now I know why they are in perfect condition because no one could get past the first set. UGH. I was able to get through the first five but even listening to this in the car, I cannot force myself to listen to anymore of this crap. Stephen King writes monster-sized bo ...more
Warren Layberry
Overall not his best work, but I know that there were some good stories lurking in the other volumes. I don't think breaking this collection up into three volumes did it any favours at all and was clearly Simon and Schuster Audio trying to gouge King fans because they felt they could.

The strongest story of this collection was likely "Dolan's Cadillac" which was quite good. "Umney's Last Case" was kind of corny but enjoyable enough for fans of Chandler LA noir stuff, and I was tickled when I foun
Mark R.
***1/2

I've had this collection on my shelf longer than most of my books, having picked it up when I was a kid. At that time, I didn't always finish the books I started, and there were several Stephen King books lying around unfinished, not due any lack of quality in the writing, but more my own short attention span. I've since gone back and read all of these; "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" was last on my list. Reading it over, I wonder why I didn't get through the whole thing as a kid--not because
Harold
As with all King books, this one is good. Really more ok. I'm guessing though my feelings on that has more to do with an inability to appreciate the short story, however, to be fair, when a King novel is 1,000 pages his short stories are just short of novellas. Really this book should be taken in pieces as most collections are meant to be.

One piece in particular in the book I thought was daring, was his inclusion of his son's little league team winning the state championship. I found I was more
Craig Nybo (Author of Allied Zombies for Peace)
I am a constant fan of short stories. And when it comes to short horror, Stephen King continues to be the reigning master. This book contains many facets of fear and fantasy. King drops readers into a new world with every story. The visits to these worlds are brief but impactful, giving readers glimpses of the essential, terrible moments that change these characters' lives. For a break from long-form fiction, try this collection. You won't regret it.
Alishia
I am determined to read King's entire collection in as close to the order of publishing as possible. In starting Nightmares and Dreamscapes I found I really enjoyed the short stories but didn't enjoy the baseball essay and poem at the end. It was nice to hear a real experience King had with his son, but let's be honest I really just want him to scare me.
Mia L.
It's Stephen King, you know he's freaking awesome!
Shana
I think "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" is from a collection of short stories that Stephen King had in some random box in his basement and decided to publish when he didn't have anything else on hand. I love Stephen King short stories, but "Skeleton Crew" and "Nightshift" (which are both excellent books) are definitely a lot better than "Nightmares and Dreamscapes." However, if you are a huge Stephen King fan, you will probably still find "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" entertaining. I admit that I sk ...more
I wish they could have put these all in one audio book. :/
Barbara Kluver
I love most of Stephen King's books. I especially like his books of short stories. Always sufficiently creepy enough to keep me looking over my shoulder, and with his trademark humor, Nightmares & Dreamscapes Vol 1 will not disappoint a true Stephen King fan!
Elizabeth
LOVED these tales, and I especially recommend the audiobook. Tim Curry and Rob Lowe are perfectly chosen for the tales they read, but it isn't just them. Stephen King is also doing a great job in this collection.

THIS is what I love from Stephen King.
Tracy Hansen
I personally really enjoyed this one because I'm a big fan of short story collections. This is a good one too. There's quite a variety of horror styles in it and the stories are ones I have read countless times.
Martine
I have always been a fan of Stephen King's movies. Recently I started reading his books and I realised that I mostly enjoy his short stories. This book is definitely worth reading.
Jeannine
The readers for this were really quite good!! Rob Lowe especially should read more audio books! He has a very good reading voice among other things!!
Paul
The best story in this series, in my opinion, was King's retelling of his son's winning Little League season.
Martin Lawlor
Some good scary stories..none more so than Dolans Cadillac,if you like revenge stories,read this one.
Ralph McEwen
Audio book on cassette tape. Short stories that are pretty good, some are scary.
Heather Letalien Costa
One of my favorites. I love the short stories of stephen king
Nic
All of these stories would make for great Twilight Zone episodes.
Jen
Suffer the Little Children is one creepy fantastic tale.
Amy
Love Stephen King! Never disappointed.
Ike
One word = inconsistent
Paxton Moynihan
Jun 04, 2011 Paxton Moynihan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i love it so far
Tori
Tori is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Susan Pethtal
Susan Pethtal marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Morgan Devish
Morgan Devish marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
  • Mr Loverman
  • Decimation: Generation M
  • The Pulse, Vol. 2: Secret War
  • Red Dust Road: An Autobiographical Journey
  • House of M: Mutopia X (District-X: House of M)
  • Journalism
  • Domu: A Child's Dream
  • Present at a Hanging and Other Ghost Stories
  • Essential X-Men, Vol. 2
  • Uncanny X-Force, Vol. 1: Let It Bleed
  • Stagger Lee
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
  • With A Little Help
  • Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining, #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie