Start by marking “Nightmares Dreamscapes, Volume I” as Want to Read:
Nightmares  Dreamscapes, Volume I

Nightmares Dreamscapes, Volume I (Nightmares & Dreamscapes #1/3)

New to Pocket Books’ Stephen King backlist—the short story collection containing the story "Dolan’s Cadillac," soon to be released as a feature film starring Christian Slater and Wes Bentley.

With numerous unforgettable movies based on his short stories—including Shawshank Redemption, 1408, and The Green Mile—readers will be delighted to rediscover this classic collection,
Audio, 0 pages
Published February 17th 2009 by Simon Schuster Audio (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Nightmares Dreamscapes, Volume I, please sign up.

Margaret Tadusz I have to say that one of the scariest stories is "The Moving Finger".

Edward Lorn
This is for the audio, which is separated into three books.

"Suffer the Little Children", as read by Whoopi Goldberg, gets three stars for rehashing that old Invasion of the Body Snatchers plot horror authors are so fond of.

"Crouch End", as read by Tim Curry, is one of the best audiobook performances I've heard, and the story deserves every single star I can give it because it's creepy-good.

"Rainy Season", as read by Lisa Simpson... I mean, Yeardley Smith, gets four stars for being weird enough
Jenni DaVinCat
Apr 13, 2017 Jenni DaVinCat rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
I really do enjoy Stephen King, but this was not his best work. Most of the stories ended up falling flat for me, instead of absorbing me in his usually interesting plots. There were a couple very well-done stories, but that's not enough to make the entire audiobook worthwhile.

Writing aside, the narration was all over the place. Whoopi Goldberg, Tim Curry and Rob Lowe provided excellent narration. It made the stories much more interesting to listen to and provided a proper emotional aspect to th
Kandice
The Moving Finger - 3 stars
Sneakers - 5 stars
You Know They Got a Hell of a Band - 4 stars
Home Delivery - 5 stars
Rainy Season - 4 stars (read by Yeardly Smith/voice of Lisa Simpson) sounded almost surreal
My Pretty Pony - 5 stars
The Ten O'Clock People - 5 stars
Crouch End - 2 stars (my least favo
Barbara ★
I know better, I know better, I know better. Damn it I know better than to read short stories. They are so boring, pointless and worthless. I picked up three volumes of Nightmares and Dreamscapes in a used bookstore for $1 each and now I know why they are in perfect condition because no one could get past the first set. UGH. I was able to get through the first five but even listening to this in the car, I cannot force myself to listen to anymore of this crap. Stephen King writes monster-sized bo ...more
Randy Holmberg
I find that I enjoy over half of the short stories in the first section of this book. I look forward to reading the other 2 sections.
Sara
May 16, 2017 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting stories. Love Tim Curry as a narrator!
Mark R.
***1/2

I've had this collection on my shelf longer than most of my books, having picked it up when I was a kid. At that time, I didn't always finish the books I started, and there were several Stephen King books lying around unfinished, not due any lack of quality in the writing, but more my own short attention span. I've since gone back and read all of these; "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" was last on my list. Reading it over, I wonder why I didn't get through the whole thing as a kid--not because
Harold
Jan 24, 2012 Harold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all King books, this one is good. Really more ok. I'm guessing though my feelings on that has more to do with an inability to appreciate the short story, however, to be fair, when a King novel is 1,000 pages his short stories are just short of novellas. Really this book should be taken in pieces as most collections are meant to be.

One piece in particular in the book I thought was daring, was his inclusion of his son's little league team winning the state championship. I found I was more
Warren Layberry
Overall not his best work, but I know that there were some good stories lurking in the other volumes. I don't think breaking this collection up into three volumes did it any favours at all and was clearly Simon and Schuster Audio trying to gouge King fans because they felt they could.

The strongest story of this collection was likely "Dolan's Cadillac" which was quite good. "Umney's Last Case" was kind of corny but enjoyable enough for fans of Chandler LA noir stuff, and I was tickled when I foun
Shana
I think "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" is from a collection of short stories that Stephen King had in some random box in his basement and decided to publish when he didn't have anything else on hand. I love Stephen King short stories, but "Skeleton Crew" and "Nightshift" (which are both excellent books) are definitely a lot better than "Nightmares and Dreamscapes." However, if you are a huge Stephen King fan, you will probably still find "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" entertaining. I admit that I sk ...more
Craig Nybo (Author of Allied Zombies for Peace)
I am a constant fan of short stories. And when it comes to short horror, Stephen King continues to be the reigning master. This book contains many facets of fear and fantasy. King drops readers into a new world with every story. The visits to these worlds are brief but impactful, giving readers glimpses of the essential, terrible moments that change these characters' lives. For a break from long-form fiction, try this collection. You won't regret it.
Alishia
May 04, 2015 Alishia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am determined to read King's entire collection in as close to the order of publishing as possible. In starting Nightmares and Dreamscapes I found I really enjoyed the short stories but didn't enjoy the baseball essay and poem at the end. It was nice to hear a real experience King had with his son, but let's be honest I really just want him to scare me.
Tracy Hansen
Mar 05, 2011 Tracy Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I personally really enjoyed this one because I'm a big fan of short story collections. This is a good one too. There's quite a variety of horror styles in it and the stories are ones I have read countless times.
Barbara Kluver
I love most of Stephen King's books. I especially like his books of short stories. Always sufficiently creepy enough to keep me looking over my shoulder, and with his trademark humor, Nightmares & Dreamscapes Vol 1 will not disappoint a true Stephen King fan!
Elizabeth
Apr 19, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED these tales, and I especially recommend the audiobook. Tim Curry and Rob Lowe are perfectly chosen for the tales they read, but it isn't just them. Stephen King is also doing a great job in this collection.

THIS is what I love from Stephen King.
David Neff
Volume One
3 Stars “Suffer the Little Children”
2 Stars “Crouch End”
2 Stars “Rainy Season”
5 Stars “Dolan's Cadillac”
3 Stars “The House on Maple Street”
3 Stars “Umney’s Last Case”
1 Star “Head Down”
1 Star “Brooklyn August”
Mia L.
May 25, 2015 Mia L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Stephen King, you know he's freaking awesome!
Ike
Sep 04, 2012 Ike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
One word = inconsistent
Amy
May 30, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Stephen King! Never disappointed.
Jen
Oct 30, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
Suffer the Little Children is one creepy fantastic tale.
Martin Lawlor
Oct 30, 2013 Martin Lawlor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good scary stories..none more so than Dolans Cadillac,if you like revenge stories,read this one.
Margaret Tadusz
Oct 28, 2015 Margaret Tadusz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collage of amazingly twisted, terribly creepy, page turner. If you like Stephen King books you will love this.
Mechelle Ray
Worst King book ever!
Paul
Aug 13, 2011 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best story in this series, in my opinion, was King's retelling of his son's winning Little League season.
Nic
Feb 29, 2012 Nic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of these stories would make for great Twilight Zone episodes.
Joe
Jan 25, 2016 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories were not special. The writing was clearly not Steven King's best.
Jeannine
Jan 09, 2010 Jeannine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-m-all-shook-up
The readers for this were really quite good!! Rob Lowe especially should read more audio books! He has a very good reading voice among other things!!
Martine
Apr 13, 2013 Martine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I have always been a fan of Stephen King's movies. Recently I started reading his books and I realised that I mostly enjoy his short stories. This book is definitely worth reading.
Paxton Moynihan
Jun 04, 2011 Paxton Moynihan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i love it so far
Ralph McEwen
Audio book on cassette tape. Short stories that are pretty good, some are scary.
  • Maybe You Never Cry Again
  • Apollo's Song, Part One
  • Uncanny X-Force, Volume 2: Torn and Frayed
  • Pryor Convictions: and Other Life Sentences
  • Across the Nightingale Floor, Episode 1: The Sword of the Warrior (Tales of the Otori, #1 Ep. 1)
  • Decimation: Generation M
  • Smut Peddler: 2012 Edition
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: False Memories (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #24 Buffy Season 5)
  • House of M: Mutopia X (District-X: House of M)
  • Mr Loverman
  • Essential X-Men, Vol. 3
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
  • Journalism
  • Stagger Lee
More about Stephen King...