Start by marking “The Stone God Awakens” as Want to Read:
The Stone God Awakens

The Stone God Awakens

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  20 reviews
As populations spiral out of control on earth the technology to "stone" people becomes available. While stoned your molecules cease to vibrate & you do not age. Seven families can share the same apartment with each group living one day of the week & remaining stoned in the wardrobe, neatly out of the way the rest of the time. Then a natural disaster brings civiliza ...more
Published April 1st 1980 by Ace Books (NY) (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Stone God Awakens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stone God Awakens

Greig Beck
I read this story the first time in the 80s and again just recently. I still found it a tale that was magical and magnificent.

A 20th century scientist, Ulysses Singing Bear, is frozen into a indestructible statue for 20million years. When he is finally thawed he finds a world that is long changed and populated by the evolved descendants of today's animals. Worshipped as a god, will Ulysses find what happened to the human race, will he be able to use his knowledge of the 20th century to save his
Travis
In high school I was a sucker for any book that took place after some horrible catastrophe or if it featured a regular earth man sent to the future, another planet etc.

This book is a little of both.
Scientist has an expieriment go wrong and is basically turned to stone. By the time he 'thaws out', roughly a ga-zillion years have past, most animals have evolved into people and man is a long extinct legendary creature.
He then has to deal with culture shock, inter-tribe politics and a ( I'm not maki
Paul Stevenson
I'm pretty sure he was not a 1950's scientist as I recall when he first awakens and makes his way through the smoke of the burning lodge he opens his switchblade which he says to himself was illegal to carry but if a person was going to defend himself in 1985 New York then he had to do some illegal things.

I read this book when I was still in grammar school, it was one of the first novels I ever completed as a child aside from the Tarzan series along with Stephen Gilberts 'Ratmans Notebook' and
Milton
An interesting book but I've read better by Mr. Farmer. It was full of action as well as some thoughtful musing on time and the state of Earth millions of years in the future. I was annoyed by the fact that the book was not divided into chapters. Also, I never really felt an emotional connection with the main character, Ulysses.
Dave
I really liked how this one started out. A scientist in the 1950s is rendered frozen at the molecular level, and is reanimated millennia later by a freak accident to a strange world populated by sentient, anthropomorphic animals, who take his awakening to be the fulfillment of prophecy. He accepts the mantle of godhood and sets about discovering this brave new world, hoping to find clues to the past while finding his place as the last human... or is he? To find the answers he must lead his tribe ...more
Kevin
Dull expository style. Sexy cat people. I'm not terribly impressed with this, to the extent that I don't know if I'll give Farmer another try, ever. This coming from a guy who has read more novels by Alan Dean Foster than, well, Alan Dean Foster, probably.

Homer's Odyssey is clearly something of an inspiration, but Ulysses Running Bear of "The Stone God Awakens" lacks the clear motivation of Odysseus, and this undermines both the construction of his character and the very plot of the book. Come t
Steven
I love the premise of this book. It didn't play off that premise like I hoped though. I thought it was strange how quickly the hero accepted and adapted to his new role as a god. It never explained much of his background to how his new life contrasted or compared with his previous experiences. Then about 2/3 into the book I started grooving with it and really enjoying it. Farmer started tying it all together. There wasn't really a boring moment in the entire book, it was cracking with action and ...more
Daniel
lmao , i think that sums it up pretty well.
Lila
If I were to rate this book on writing style alone, I'd give it one star. The writing style was just bad, and it kept pulling me out of the story. It's a shame, because the story has some interesting features. As a thought experiment, it's intriguing, but the main character was boring and the secondary characters were pretty flat as well. The most interesting parts of the story were only hinted at towards the end, while the boring parts seemed to drag on and on. It doesn't hold up to classics li ...more
Plucino
Esagerato...!

Fra i tanti "risvegli dopo animazione sospesa", nessuno tranne James White nel suo "Vita con gli automi", si è spinto tanto in là.

Un risveglio dopo milioni di anni su di una Terra profondamente mutata geologicamente e geneticamente. Ci sono mammiferi senzienti, già... ma l'Uomo?!

Buona lettura.
Alfonso Junquera perez
Un libro de aventuras bastante entretenido aunque quizas demasiado fantastico si empiezas a leerlo buscando ciencia ficción "hard". Para lo que se lleva actualmente las situaciones se suceden sin pausa casi sin respiro y saltando en el tiempo para no entorpecer la narración. digamos que es algo de agradecer.
Karthik
This was a fun adventure read. I was a bit skeptical about this author after reading his Hugo winner short story which was confusing with its non linear narrative. But this was a simple post apocalyptic adventure. Real light read. Can't say absolutely brilliant concept wise but good enough.
Erik Graff
Mar 05, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Farmer fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
The only thing I recall about the book is the personality of its protagonist, a fellow of Amerind heritage. That, and his being thrown back to an environment not unlike that of his ancestors.
Susan
I got half way through because I thought a friend recommended it; I misunderstood. Terribly written. Please do not read it. Sexist. I did not complete reading this and I don't wish to.
Charles
A later edition of this was published in 1980, but I have the 1970 version, and the complete title is "The Stone God Awakens." It's pretty weak. I didn't care much for it.
Phorapheedroll
i couldn't put it down...i loved all the different hybrids and creatures and the pace of the novel. i finished it in less than 2 days. what an imaginative author.
kyknoord
It's a furry fantasy / road trip / delusions of grandeur epic all rolled into one. I'll bet PJF cringes when people mention this one at cocktail parties.
Jim
this is a fun read as long as you dont take it too seriously.I mean,who doesnt like a book with hybrid talking cats?
Greg Wolfson
not as strong as his other work
Neske
Neske added it
May 27, 2015
Steve Bowman
Steve Bowman marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Peggysue Stewart
Peggysue Stewart marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Jens Walter
Jens Walter marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Jim B
Jim B added it
Apr 01, 2015
  • Spacecraft 2000-2100, A.D.
  • The Dark Abyss (Philip José Farmer's The Dungeon, #2)
  • A Spectre Is Haunting Texas
  • Earthworks
  • Limbo
  • The Patchwork Girl (Known Space)
  • Entoverse (Giants, #4)
  • The Deep Range
  • The Collector's Book of Science Fiction by H.G. Wells
  • A Trace of Memory
  • The Mezentian Gate
  • A Vintage From Atlantis
  • Operation Chaos (Operation Otherworld, #1)
  • The Variable Man and Other Stories
  • Eye and Talon (Blade Runner, #4)
  • Enchanted Pilgrimage
  • The Island of Doctor Moreau
  • Sirius: A Fantasy of Love and Discord
Philip José Farmer was an American author, principally known for his science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories. He was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, but spent much of his life in Peoria, Illinois.

Farmer is best known for his Riverworld series and the earlier World of Tiers series. He is noted for his use of sexual and religious themes in his work, his fascination for and reworking of th
More about Philip José Farmer...
To Your Scattered Bodies Go (Riverworld, #1) The Fabulous Riverboat (Riverworld, #2) The Dark Design (Riverworld, #3) The Magic Labyrinth (Riverworld, #4) The Gods of Riverworld (Riverworld, #5)