Start by marking “The Very Best Home for Me” as Want to Read:
The Very Best Home for Me

The Very Best Home for Me

#17 of 68 Special miniature versions of Golden's best-loved children's stories.
Hardcover, a Little Little Golden Book, 24 pages
Published March 29th 2001 by Golden books (first published January 1st 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Best Home for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Best Home for Me

Thom
Jan 15, 2010 Thom rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book before I could read. I had my mother read it to me every night, and I could not wait until I was able to read it myself, which I did by the time I was 4.

I have always jokingly said that Pokey Turtle and Tweeter Bird were my inspiration for joining a commune when I was in my 20s, and of course like them I eventually went away from the commune to find the "very best home for me".

I thought it was sad that the group had to go its separate ways over FOOD. They were such goo
Rebecca
Mar 15, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This book helps children understand the habitat and eating habits of different kinds of animals.
C
Aug 21, 2009 C rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
This has those nice familiar Garth Williams illustrations. It is such a weird book. These old storybooks make me wonder if the standard sell was easier for children's books back in the 50s. Who would think of a plot like this--a bunch of animals live in the same house and get along except for the food they eat, so they have to all find new homes. Very thin, and a strange moral message. My daughter, of course, loves it. So I think maybe it is just comforting in a nonsensical and non-confrontation ...more
Christy
Sep 05, 2015 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Christy by: My Mom
This little golden book is about finding the best home for the seven animals that share a small home in the woods. They are happy most of the time living together. However, they aren't always happy with the food that the others fix.

One day they decide to find another home that will fit each of them perfectly. Even though they loved each other so much it was the time in their lives that they had to branch out from the family and do what was best for them. It was like Squirrel was their mom of all
Lesley
Jul 10, 2011 Lesley rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s, fiction
It doesn't say anywhere that this is a retelling of a Hans Christian Anderson story. And the message seems pretty anti-diveristy if you put it into today's context. It's not a bad story, just boring and not current.
Brandielle
Feb 09, 2015 Brandielle rated it it was ok
We own this book but will not for long, it is destined for the give-away pile. The premise is that all the animals get along great except for meals and instead of working through the problem they all just move. Not sure what the point is...
Kelly
Feb 20, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: conrad
This book has way cute illustrations and has the different species of housemates go their own ways to find homes more appropriate and comfortable to suit their individual lifestyles amicably. Some of the wording is awkward and Conrad isn't wowed by it, but it is a solid Little Golden Book.
Abby
A tale of some little animals who find their ideal homes, but it seems to me like a pro-segregation lesson in disguise. Gotta watch out for those tricky vintage stories (published 1953).
Kayla
Sep 22, 2012 Kayla rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-310-books
Perfect for young readers who are pet lovers. Can lead into how to take care of many different animals!
Janice
Sep 15, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it
This is a very cute book and the children love it.
Mary
Jul 10, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing
This is actually a reissue. I read this as a child. I don't remember the story, but I sure remember the pictures -- and I hated the squirrel then, too. My son loved this
Nick
Aug 06, 2011 Nick rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books as a kid. The illustrations are so cozy and warm that they have staid with me through the years.
Sarah W
Sarah W rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2008
Linda Stern-Siegel
Linda Stern-Siegel rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Ashley Stegall
Ashley Stegall rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Shawna Brooks
Shawna Brooks rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2008
Dusty Ginsbach
Dusty Ginsbach rated it liked it
May 22, 2017
Nicki Muir
Nicki Muir rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Javi
Javi rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2008
Jessica Blevins
Jessica Blevins rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2011
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Carley
Carley rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2010
Pinkweeds
Pinkweeds rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2012
Joanna
Joanna rated it really liked it
May 05, 2009
Ayah El Kadiki
Ayah El Kadiki rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Children's writer Jane Werner Watson (1915-2004) was born in Fond du Lac, Wis. She earned a B.A. in English in 1936 from the University of Wisconsin, began a career in publishing, and became a prolific writer who specialized in non-fiction.

She was one of the first editors for the original Golden Books series, and wrote books for Disney series.

She also wrote under the names Elsa Jane Werner Watso
More about Jane Werner Watson...