Start by marking “Devil's Business (Black London, #4)” as Want to Read:
Devil's Business (Black London, #4)

Devil's Business (Black London #4)

Pete Caldecott did everything she could to save Jack from Hell, even reigning in the dark machinations of the Morrigan to help bring him home. Still, Black London has not welcomed Jack back with open arms. . . So when a friend in Los Angeles asks for help tracking a sorcerous serial killer, Pete and Jack decide a change of scenery couldn't hurt. . .

But the shadow side of t
Published August 30th 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Business

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
Sep 10, 2011 Cat Russell (Addicted2Heroines) rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Note to readers: This book contains an overabundance of foul language, crude humor, seedy environments and graphically detailed violence.
You have been warned .... or quite possibly intrigued.

"I do wish I was human sometimes. That endless optimism and idiotic hope, even when things are clearly fucked. I like it."

It's been several months since the events surrounding Nergal and the conclusion of "Bone Gods".

Pete and Jack are having a difficult time getting along, mostly due to Pete's silence and
Anzu The Great Destroyer
This rant is for the series so far. Spoilers clearly marked.

Safe zone

Book one took me by surprise. I always thought Black London was a Pranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy because of the cover. Sure, the chick isn’t slutty enough and the dude is wearing a shirt but it still looks like a Paranormal Romance cover to me.

Well, I was wrong. This is a pretty neat Urban Fantasy, and let me tell you Caitlin Kittredge can sure write her some badass characters. I mean this woman has a green thumb for demons. G
Jami Zehr
Nov 26, 2014 Jami Zehr rated it it was ok
Devil’s Business is the fourth book by Caitlin Kittredge in her Black London series. The Series follows Jack and Pete (short for Petunia) as they battle the demons and evil spirits of the underworld in London.I did enjoy Kittredge’s development of her universe and storyline and I could see a great deal of potential in where she wanted to go with the book. It was sadly, unrealized, and Pete and Jack’s character flaws grew like a big black ink stain and covered up any potential with their volumino ...more
Sep 15, 2011 mrsj rated it really liked it
Shelves: must-get-list
This is from Jack's POV and poor jack.. he don't seems to be getting enough rest before someone bite his ass or kick his ass!

Devil's business is not for the faint hearted.
The book has a mixture of intense , gritty moments with some dark humour and some heart-aching moments.
Usage of the "English" language can be offensive to some but hey.. it's Jack! ;)

Jack is not welcome in London after the last showdown with Nergal and everyone with magic want Jack to stay out.
When Pete's friend from LA asks fo
Sep 04, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans
Shelves: paranormal
These books...I think they get more and more intense the further we go. If you liked the first three in the series, then you should definitely like this one.

Keeping with the series' alternating viewpoints, this one is Jack's...which pleases me as I love his voice.

After the events of the previous book, Jack and Pete find it necessary to leave London for awhile, and end up in Los Angles on the request of a former LA police officer. What follows I won't even try to begin to explain, but it kept me
Jessica (a GREAT read)

Devil's Business is the latest in Caitlin Kittredge's Black London series, and this time Pete and Jack head for LA! Jack was told to leave London because of his past misdeeds and Pete is told to leave as well. Perfect timing for an acquaintance to call Pete up asking for her help with a case. Jack is reluctant to go but seeing as he has to leave the country and that's where Pete's headed he follows along.

A pregnant woman was mutilated and killed, wit
Mar 07, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the previous Black London books
Feb 25, 2014 Muriel rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook, read-2014
I would have probably given it 5 stars if I had bothered to re-read the last book in the series. I read that one about 4 years ago so I was really fuzzy on the backstory but I still enjoyed it thoroughly. As usual Jack makes for a fun narrator, I enjoy the entries with his POV more than Pete's... In fact I like Pete more through his eyes than I do when she's the narrator which is odd because I do like her. Now to see if any other books have been released since this one ;)
Sep 01, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy, mage
Once again, Caitlin Kittredge doesn't disappoint! I had no idea how this book was going to end, which made it very difficult to put the book down. Absolutely loved it
First read: 2011
Re-read: June - July 2015

The plot: Jack has a bounty on his head and decides to get out of London for a while, at the same time Pete has been given an opportunity to work on a gruesome murder investigation in L.A. so they head over there together to help with the investigation. Meanwhile Jack is struggling with the change in his relationship with Pete.

This is the slowest book of the series so far for me. I actually put this down for over a month when I was half way though and rea
Sep 26, 2011 marlene rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of the Black London series. When we got to the big surprise at the end of the last book I got a little worried about what would happen next. I really don’t care for books that head in that particular direction. This was really no exception.

I am not sure what on earth transpired to make Pete such an irrational bitch. I understand that she is worried, and scared, but my goodness. Her attitude and behavior was so self centered and just completely inexcusable. She really turned me o
Sep 19, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it
I love this series. This book is more Jacks story than Pete's. Pete's pregnant and they seem to be having communication problems and drifting very far apart. However throughout all Jack's trials and tribulations his love for Pete is an absolute constant.
Even though it's a fantastical fantasy book their relationship,insecurities and reactions all ring true for me. Jack is a genuine bad boy. A complete f**k up. Definitely not the strong, dangerous, clever, in control alpha male of most romance sto
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Jack Winter and Pete (Petunia if you want your arse kicked) Caldecott need to escape London for a bit, after what happened with Nergal the whole of London's magical community have put Jack at the top of their to-kill-on-sight list. When Pete is all too conveniently asked to go to Los Angeles, City of Angels, it seems the best route out of a nasty death in the bowels of London. But far from being full of angels LA is a cesspit where all the things that go bump in the night go to hide, but Nergal'
Pamela / SpazP
Sep 16, 2011 Pamela / SpazP rated it liked it
Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews
Devil’s Business is the fourth book in Caitlin Kittredge’s Black London series. Jack Winter is enemy number one in London after the events in the previous book. Everyone is gunning for him since he almost let Nergal’s dragon loose on London’s Black. Ben Mayhew is a P.I. in Los Angeles and has requested Pete (short for Petunia) Caldecott’s help with solving some murders he believes are related to the Black. Pete reluctantly lets Jack accompany
Kathy Davie
Jan 28, 2013 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, fantasy, urban
Fourth in the Black London dark, dark urban fantasy series revolving around Pete, an ex-copper, and Jack Winter, the crow mage.

Read this one with the lights on and well before bed.

My Take
Whew. Kittredge must have some amazing nightmares to come up with this stuff. And she's an amazing writer. She's certainly taken the subgenre of BLACK magic and turned it on its head. Who knew there would be a good guy practicing on the wrong side of magic?

I love what Kittredge has done with this series. It's a
Melissa Hayden
Oct 16, 2011 Melissa Hayden rated it really liked it
After releasing an old dangerous god, even though he captured him again, people have not been asking for Jack to work any cases or even want him around period. None of the magically inclined will forgive Jack and are hunting him. Jack's wondering where Morrigan, the maiden of death who marked him young, is at as he disobeyed her. Pete is a few months pregnant and now completely silent towards Jack. He figures she is shutting down with him slowly and will leave him soon to raise the kid away from ...more
Darling Cruella
Feb 25, 2013 Darling Cruella rated it it was ok
(Note: These are my thoughts about the series up till Book 4.)

Good: The world-building is impressive with several interesting concepts about the supernatural.

Bad: Badly-written, unsympathetic lead characters suck most of the wonder out of the book.

I tried hard to like this series. Heck, I even read all the way up to Book 4. But it seemed that with every book, Jack and Pete got more and more aggravating as characters.

They make one bad decision after another, usually driven by their feelings for e
*Rating* 3.0
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Devil’s Business, by Caitlin Kittredge, is fourth book in the Black London series. This time around the story is told in the POV of Jack Winter. Jack has finally worn out his welcome in London after his escapades with the releasing and subsequently putting down of a demon named Nergal in Bone Gods.

Jack has sorcerers, white magic cabals, kitchen witches and mages all gunning for his head, and all looking to make a name for themselves by taking down the inf
Sabrina Ogden
Nov 05, 2011 Sabrina Ogden rated it it was amazing
By the time we get to Devil's Business, the fourth book in the Black London novels, Pete is a few months pregnant, and the members of the supernatural world are not too happy about having Jack around. He's being hunted... and after getting his butt kicked by a grocery store clerk, Jack's starting to think it might just be a perfect time to pack up and leave London... with Pete, of course.

And Pete has plans to do just that. With no work for their investigative business available to them in London
Mar 17, 2015 Stacey rated it did not like it
I started reading and had to stop. i love the fact that the novels picked up where they left off but some time i am lost where the different scenes are concerned. Poor Jack, sigh!!!! Damn Pete if you wanted a hero you should have look else where. its either you stand and push back and take charge or leave once and for all, you annoying the hell outta mi!!!!!!!!!! Jack is Jack and he made the decisions he thought best.
Feb 10, 2012 Tia rated it liked it
Oh man, I have to be honest here. I'm slightly but only slightly disappointed. I miss seeing Pete's view on everything. She is pregnant and dealing with so many emotions and her character in my opinion hasn't evolved enough in this whole series.

I'm glad Jack and Pete will stick by each other and they both figured out a way to get out from under Hell's thumb. Now they only really have to worry about future attacks and Morgie.

The ending was left off in such a way that made me wonder if the series
Eleri Stone
Oct 20, 2012 Eleri Stone rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2011 Kayleen rated it liked it
I was disappointed in this one. It just wasn't as good as the first three. I hope the next book (whenever that comes out) is alot better, if it doesn't get any better I might have to stop reading the series. So it better get fucking better!

I think the two things that most annoyed me was that they left London and went to LA, I didn't like that. Every single new person they meet in LA was so stupid and fucking annoying, and not to mention that they were all men. Why the fuck did she do that for?
Feb 04, 2012 Racquel rated it did not like it

I really love this series so when I finally got a chance to read Devil’s Business, I was really excited. And then somewhere towards the middle, Kittredge lost me. I’m not sure if it was the change of scenery or the change in POV character or something else entirely, but a lot of the book really dragged for me. There was a lot of storytelling going on and it reminded me a lot of the history lesson we got in Nancy Holzner’s Hellforged. The storytelling was all background on the history of Hel
Samantha Brody
I was definitely expecting to enjoy this one significantly more than I did? Idk if I'm simply a bit burnt out on this series but I had hoped for more character development than we had seen by this point, I guess?
Sep 28, 2011 becc rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
I was ready to give up on this series - the stories are good but I wasn't burning to find out what happens to them - but this book was even better and made the reading worthwhile.
Danielle May
Sep 18, 2014 Danielle May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment

a little predictable but in a good way because u want to see if you are right and how they get out of it.
I am of 2 minds with this story, still enjoy the world and the action but am slightly annoyed with both Jack and Pete. Too many foolish choices and the strong connection the two have shared in past books is somewhat shaky at this point. I did enjoy this part of the series but it just left me feeling a bit disheartened for two characters that have been favorites since first meeting them in Street Magic. I only hope Soul Trade rekindles the excitement and passion once again.
  • Black Heart Loa (Hoodoo, #2)
  • Bloodstone (Deadtown, #3)
  • The Shifting Price of Prey (, #4)
  • Dead Man's Deal (The Asylum Tales, #2)
  • A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, #3)
  • The Grimrose Path (Trickster, #2)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • As Lie the Dead (Dreg City, #2)
  • Along Came a Spider (Transplanted Tales, #3)
  • Haunted Wolves (Green Pines, #2)
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • Blood on the Bayou (Annabelle Lee, #2)
  • His Darkest Salvation (Jaguar Warriors, #3)
Caitlin started writing novels at age 13. Her first was a Star Wars tie-in. Fortunately, she branched out from there and after a few years trying to be a screenwriter, a comic book writer and the author of copious amounts of fanfiction, she tried to write a novel again. Her epic dark fantasy (thankfully) never saw the light of day but while she was struggling with elves and sorcerers she got the i ...more
More about Caitlin Kittredge...

Black London (7 books)
  • Newlydeads
  • Street Magic (Black London, #1)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • Bone Gods (Black London, #3)
  • Soul Trade (Black London, #5)
  • Dark Days (Black London, #6)