Start by marking “Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There” as Want to Read:
Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There

Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  3,139 Ratings  ·  207 Reviews
In a world inundated with sales books on getting to yes, this book recommends just the opposite, focusing on how increasing your failure rate can greatly accelerate your movement toward ultimate success. Go for No! chronicles four days in the life of fictional character Eric Bratton, a call reluctant copier salesman who wakes up one morning to find himself in a strange hou ...more
Published April 4th 2007 by Courage Crafters

Be the first to ask a question about Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There

Sam
Nov 09, 2010 Sam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: motivational
Looking for something inspirational, but easy to read? Written in the form of a fictional story, this book immediately reminds me of the poem "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. Each chapter is only a few pages long, the concepts are easy to understand, but the work is hard hitting. Personally, it changed the way I look at some things.

The story follows an average salesman, who by a stroke of luck, meets a more successful, future version of himself. In doing so, learns some powerful, but simple
Lauri
Aug 11, 2011 Lauri rated it really liked it
This was a really quick read. Easy to understand, great idea - definitely could help those of us in sales or network marketing. I think it also has implications for the field of education - what if we rewarded students for their failures, as well as their successes? What if we really meant it when we told kids that. like Thomas Edison finding 10,000 ways not to make a lightbulb, their failures were just steps on the way to success? Worth the time it took to read the book, which wasn't very long.
Happy Dust
Oct 03, 2015 Happy Dust rated it it was amazing
There are 3 things I really liked about this book; It's only 80 pages long, it's written in the style of a story, and it's written in plain English. These factors help make it easier for busy people.
And for the big reward it totally changed the way I think about failure.
I made an animated video explaining the concepts of this book, you can check it out here: Go for No! Book Animation
Sandeep
Aug 07, 2012 Sandeep rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended for anyone who things failure is bad. Remember failure is just the stepping stone to success and no other book described it better than this book...
Marc Garrett
Apr 30, 2011 Marc Garrett rated it really liked it
Very quick read with a simple premise that is backed up nicely with statistics and stories. As someone who hides behind introversion as an excuse for not being bold, this message hit me between the eyes. This idea actually created a paradigm shift for Jenn a year and half ago, so I have witnessed first hand the benefit of seeking "no". This is a message I am going to let sink in. It will serve me and those I work with.

Failure is not on one side and success on the other. Seeking failure in sales
Emily
Jan 20, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
This is a great short story about seeing things differently in life, in business, and in the way you approach people. We are all in sales one way or another. “Go for No” gives a perspective that I never really thought of before. I recommend you read this book if you’re trying to get the most out of life and enjoy the things that truly matter.
Jeff
Sep 02, 2012 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Don't let the fictional writing style fool you. Go for no is one of the best business books ever written. If you hate rejection or struggle to push through the "No's" of life when selling or otherwise--this book will give a complete mindset change. You'll go from hating rejection to loving it--all in just 82 pages.
Will Jeffries
May 04, 2011 Will Jeffries rated it really liked it
This book totally re-framed how I think about selling to others. Richard Fenton makes a constant reference to the fact that all Life is an experiment and that "Yes is the destination, No is how you get there!"

Truly a fun read.

For more information, go to: http://www.goforno.com/
Clayton Tune
Dec 30, 2009 Clayton Tune rated it really liked it
Probably one of the two greatest books on selling I've read this year. Short, and written as a story, this tale offers up a hybrid mindset for sales. Fenton offers up an exceptional tale to help take the pressure off of the salesman and transfer it to excitement.
Philip
Apr 08, 2012 Philip rated it it was amazing
This book is short and very easy to read. Changed my whole way of thinking about the word "NO". It is such a huge positive influence in my business now. It is one of four books I highly recommend with my clients.
Tristan
Aug 08, 2012 Tristan rated it really liked it
I think this is a great book. Hard to follow some of the back and forth at the start but the message is great. Plus it is only 80 pages, so if you can get this book for cheap, it is worth the read!!
Jose Amezcua
May 29, 2015 Jose Amezcua rated it it was amazing
Fail, fail again, fail better. Failure = Success Great book.
Deimantė Levickytė
Apr 17, 2017 Deimantė Levickytė rated it really liked it
"..., tave nuo didybės skiria vienintelis dalykas - baimė išgirsti "ne"."
"TAIP - tai tikslas, o NE - tai, kaip jo siekiame!"

Tai tik pora minčių iš šios tikrai nedidelės apimties knygelės. Sakyčiau patiktų tam, kam patiko Spencer Johnson "Who moved my cheese". Lengvai parašyta, naudojant visai paprastus pavyzdžius iš pardavimų srities nusistatant ne sėkmės koeficientą, bet nesėkmės. Pati knyga man patiko ir šiandien patraukė mano dėmesį, nors ir pastaruoju metu susiduriu su sunkumais skaitant kny
Celeste Batchelor
Are you afraid of failing? Good, this book is for you. I've allowed my fear of failing to keep me from being successful at a lot of things. But this book, it is opening my mind and allowing me to make that shift from fear to acceptance, and from acceptance to triumph. While it focuses on sales or prospecting, I can see how this can help with my line of work and even in my personal life. No is the way to Yes! One job says no, fine...Next!
Paul Maclauchlan
Mar 04, 2009 Paul Maclauchlan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people always trying to *GET* a "Yes"
"I love the pivitol story early in the book. The author is a suit salesman and he makes the largest sale of his career... only to be asked by the district manager "I'm curious, what did that customer say no to?" The author answers "Nothing". "So, how did you know he was done?"

***SMACK***"

There are some great "head shots" in this book. Stuff that will make you think about how you set your goals and how traditional goal-setting methods actually LIMIT what you will get done.
Maria Arnt
Jan 22, 2013 Maria Arnt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
This is a crazy, awesome book. I'm not sure everyone will get it or agree with it, but it only took me 45 minutes to read, so what is there to lose? I especially like that it was a story written in scene, rather than a conglomeration of narrated anecdotes. It made it easier to get into it and stay interested. I would recommend it to anyone who has ever let fear of failure get in their way.
Vincent Darlage
Jan 09, 2017 Vincent Darlage rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Wow! Short but powerful. More people should read this. I liked the story as well as the concepts - not what I was expecting in terms of story, which I liked. I could really relate this back to my days selling insulation - I wish I had read this then... life might have went a different direction.
Jen Marie
Jul 18, 2016 Jen Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and informative

This book reads like a fiction book so clearly and not as boring as one would think for a sales book, but it does have great valid points I am going to give a try and see how they work for me! Go for the no... those goals are easier to make on a daily and weekly basis!
Douglas Larson
Apr 20, 2012 Douglas Larson rated it liked it
I liked the concept and what the author had to say about it. Fenton talks about how this belief system of going for no, works in not just sales but in life in general. Unfortunately he never gives concrete examples of how that might play out in anything other than a sales career. It would be nice to see some of that.

Dustin Woods
Very intresting and inspiering. Your anyone who has a problem getting past rejection aka. no, than read thid book. It flips the script on what we believe is the most positive word in the english language. Not YES but NO ! So go for No it helps I swear.
Rich
Jul 18, 2012 Rich rated it really liked it
This is a quick read, but one where you get so hooked in, you cannot put it down! If you're not much of a reader and you're looking into a new career as a businessman or an entrepreneur, you need to pick this up!!!
Chandrashekar Gaajula
Aug 07, 2012 Chandrashekar Gaajula rated it really liked it
Awesome book. The author has chosen a few key principles and has delivered them with absolute clarity. The story that's used is quite apt and keeps the curiosity factor up.

Wait until you see this in the book: ME ->->-> FAILURE ->->-> SUCCESS

Then, the book really takes off.
Atis Mandal
Aug 07, 2012 Atis Mandal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I enjoy chasing my goals to get 'nos' everyday after reading this book. Life changing book, if people follow the principles.
John
Jul 27, 2012 John marked it as to-read
This is a very short read that I highly recommend for all sales types! Simple lessons in persistence and motivation!!
Rolando Gill
Jul 02, 2011 Rolando Gill rated it really liked it
In order to succeed you must fail. This book made that very clear to me. Great book.
Rhett
Aug 12, 2011 Rhett rated it really liked it
a short, sweet and to the point story that makes you rethink some of the your beliefs regarding success and failure.
Shelley
I received this book at a training conference I went to for work. It's an excellent book for sales reps but didn't help me in my position as a client trainer.
Jessy
Sep 07, 2012 Jessy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Everyone can benefit from this book. Takes away the fear of rejection.
Tiger Berry
Jul 19, 2011 Tiger Berry rated it really liked it
Excellent information regarding not ending the sale before your customer does!
Akanksha
Jan 09, 2013 Akanksha rated it it was amazing
Very interesting story that will definitely result in better performance if your job/business is about dealing with people. It has helped me with my business as well as volunteer work.
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life
  • Go Pro - 7 Steps to Becoming a Network Marketing Professional
  • Three Feet from Gold: Turn Your Obstacles Into Opportunities!
  • The Choice
  • Go-Givers Sell More
  • PUSH: 30 Days to Turbocharged Habits, a Bangin' Body, and the Life You Deserve!
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Conversations with Millionaires: What Millionaires Do to Get Rich, That You Never Learned about in School!
  • Mach II With Your Hair On Fire: The Art of Vision & Self Motivation
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • The Winning Attitude
  • Napoleon Hill's Road to Success
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • How to Get What You Want
Author, best-selling business fable Go for No! Also Million Dollar Year, The Fear Factory, The Diamond Line, and others. Professional speaker. Now also fiction author of, Onyx Webb, the Series.
More about Richard Fenton...

“Rather than setting goals for the number of yes’s you are planning to get each week, you set goals for the number of no’s you’re going to collect.” 2 likes
“learning to hear no over and over again and to never quit... now that builds character and self-esteem. That’s empowering!” 1 likes