Start by marking “The Girl For Me” as Want to Read:
The Girl For Me

The Girl For Me

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,236 ratings  ·  169 reviews
Straight jockboy Kevin thinks he has gay, cross-dressing Danny under his thumb. Kevin only likes girls.

So... why does he keep thinking about her?

Or him.

Free online read, 268 pages
Published February 2007 (first published November 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl For Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl For Me

Jun 20, 2015 Nancy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: Darkm
Reviewed at Hearts on Fire Reviews

This is a free story available at Fictionpress. It is not professionally written or edited, so I won’t take off points for poor formatting, abrupt scene changes, and constantly switching POVs.

Daniel/Dani is a transgendered high school student and “I only like girls” Kevin is the jock and failing student who eventually falls in love with her/him. They meet at a party, where Dani is out in public for the first time in drag. Kevin is instantly attracted to her and
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
A Discussion Between Laddie And Her Inner Voice ( a.k.a. IV)

Laddie: What to write, what to write, what to write?
IV: You tryin' to figure out what to write?
Laddie: Is that not obvious...
IV: Okay, Captain of the S.S. Sarcasm. Try giving them an overview.

This is the story of Dani and Kev. Dani is a junior in high school. He's a young gay man who, on his first night cross dressing, runs into Kev a senior at a party. Dani and Kev make a deal. Kev stays silent about Dani's cross dressing as long as Da
I can't understand how this book is not published.

It was beautiful and sweet, and made me think a lot.

Dani and Kev are teenagers. Kev is a jock who 'only likes girls" and Dani/Danny is boy in his football team that likes other boys, and to dress like a girl.

They reluctantly begin a friendship after Kev sees Dani at a party in drag and makes him agree to tutor him as a trade for not revealing his secret. Slowly Kev realizes Dani is a lot more than what he thought.

This book is fun and the voices o
Valentina Heart
Mar 29, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone but really;)
Shelves: glbt, best-m-m
I would feel bad if I skipped on the review, but then again, I don't really know what to write.
In my eyes this book was pretty much brilliant and I don't understand why it isn't published yet.

It starts off funny and rather interesting. I mean you have Dani the firecracker in drag for the first time, and who sees her? A jock from her team. Of course she knows nothing good can come of it, but Kevin does surprise her. That ends up being just the first of many surprises yet to come for them. But al
MsMiz (Tina)
It is 3:00am in the morning - I love this book and gave up good sleep for it.
Isa K.
OH THIS BOOK .... WHAT TO SAY ABOUT THIS #@$*ING BOOK!?!?!?!?! Or rather... do I lead with the good stuff or the bad? How about this, I'll put both behind spoiler cuts and that way you can decide what to read first ;)

The Good:
(view spoiler)
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I absolutely adored this book. No surprise there, huh? Lol. But I really did love this one. I was hooked right from the beginning and I couldn't put it down once I started.

The relationship between Kevin and Danny/Dani while at first is based on blackmail, it soon becomes friendship then progresses into an intimate relationship. Kevin, in my opinion, was the first to truly accept Danny's desire to dress as a woman and soon not only loved it when he was Danny but also when he was Dani. He loved t
Kaje Harper
I read this book online at . There were some formatting issues, and the time jumps and POV changes were frequent and unheralded. Aside from that it was a fascinating and well written story of two highschool boys discovering their sexual identities, one as bi, one as transgendered. There was some rose-tinting to this story, especially in the reactions of the classmates (I'm sorry, but in my experience high school kids run far more self-absorbed and less ac ...more
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥
Nov 11, 2014 Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of beautiful, strong, heart-felt romance
This review can also be found on my blog: A Match Made in Heaven

I don't even know where to start. I can't say how much I loved this book. It started out feeling very much like a normal YA contemporary romance. Danny was 16 and Kevin was 17 when they met at a party. Despite a few significant changes, it began as expected. Kevin convinced Danny to help him with his homework and they study together after school. At this point it felt like a "wrong side of the tracks" romance, except they are both b
Feb 27, 2013 Cindi added it
Shelves: m-m, free, 2013, fanfiction, dnf
I only made it to 44% so I won't be rating this one. I understand it's online fiction so I did not expect an edited version of a great novel. I have, however, read some pretty outstanding fan fiction so I went into it with an open mind.

I had several issues with this story. There's Dani/Danny, a cross dressing gay teen. Then there's Kevin, the straight jock football player. Kevin sees Dani out in drag one night and then blackmails him/her to keep it secret.

I really tried to get into this but I c
A thoughtful and measured exploration of a misunderstood sexuality in this coming of age story.

Dani/Daniel and Kevin make an unlikely couple, but isn't that where some of the best surprises of synergy come from? On opposite sides, they quickly find that they are not as far apart as they think. In fact, where the truly important things count--they're perfectly aligned. Neither is completely at ease with their respective discoveries, but Dani's struggle to understand and find peace with the conste
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This was another free book read for me. I have mixed emotions about this book. On one hand, I loved that the author wrote about the trans community. I have only read one or two books dealing with this topic so it felt refreshing to me. I liked the range of emotions it dealt with. On the other hand, I struggled with the writing style. The POV switched constantly, the formatting was terrible, and the phrasing was painful at times. I got really tired of reading "gawd" and "hawt." I also thought the ...more

A funny, poignant love story with very well drawn main characters. The side characters are important and quite believable too, but the boys(?) were clearly the stars of this show. Kevin and Danny/Dani are very easy to like, even though they are, well, teens. The Girl For Me is one of the best stories I've read featuring a teenager with gender identity issues.

A big plus for a gay for you- theme that was done so well I could actually buy it. And hey, it's free so one can forgive some err
I enjoyed this book, I want to first start by saying it's a solid 3.5 star read. I had originally put this on my TBR for a reading challenge which required cross-dressing. Yes, there is cross-dressing, but I feel that it's much more than just a story about a guy (teenage guy actually) who likes to dress in women's clothing. It's about a boy who is discovering that he is not really gay, but quite possibly transgender. This was my first read with a transgender character and it helped to open my ey ...more
Dee Wy
It was so much fun to watch Daniel/Dani and Kevin develop their relationship. There was a great deal of humor and angst for this teen couple, not to mention fear, not only of being accepted for being gay but for Dani's love of dressing as a girl. This entire story was a great experience to read.
BWT (Belen)
Free book about a transgender falling in love with the bigoted jerk who blackmails "her" into helping him study so he doesn't get kicked off the football team? Yes please.

I have mixed feelings about the story. I really liked Daniel ("Danni" when he's a girl) from the beginning, but it took a while before I liked Kevin. Then I didn't particularly like Danni, and liked Kevin a whole lot more.

A few things bothered me...(view spoiler)
Great read! This books starts with a jock, Kevin, as he discovers Danny, a fellow football teammate in drag at a party. Subsecuently he blackmails him(her) into tutoring...thus a romance begins.

Kevin slowly realizes that he is falling for Danny in all of his incarnations... as a witty male friend, and a beautiful classy girl. There is a lot of internal conflict for both MC as they realize that their relationship, and themselves are complicated and has many layers. Kevin goes from a straight joc
Oh wow, this story is its own special brand of amazing. It’s my very first in-depth delve into the subject of being a trans person, and that may be one of the reasons for why this tale was so special to me – it’s all new and therefore extra emotional. Really an experience!

Kevin is a jock that is by everyone around him seen as pretty dumb. That he’s only dating cheerleaders and is almost failing all his classes doesn’t help that image. When he at a party stumbles upon one of his football team mat
I really liked this story. I wasn't sure I was going to being that it is very rich high school kids but they are dealing with very adult life issues and the author deals with it so well. Kevin is definitely a good character to watch grow and find himself throughout the story. Dani,Danny, Daniel which ever it is, is a very sweet, strong (even though he doesn't figure it out right away) and smart character. The love story between the two is very well written and shows what it is like for a young m ...more
Nov 09, 2012 ~♥*Marianna*♥~ marked it as unfinished
I'm not really enjoying it.

The situation was interesting at the beginning and at times funny but the dialogue is often ridiculous and unbelievable. Come on! Is this really the way a teenage boy would talk to his father?
(view spoiler)
En general el libro me ha gustado, pero me crea un problema que no soy capaz de superar (view spoiler) ...more
It was a good story. I really enjoyed reading it in the beginning because the banter between Daniel (Danni) and Kevin was just so hilarious. Luaghed for about 5 straight minutes after reading "I eat parabolas and shit obtuse angles". Makes me smile even now.

However, the story could have used a beta reader as the scenes leapt from one thing to another without any notice. And I understood the need to include other people's thoughts to better portray Danni and Kevin but it seemed out of place, when
An excellent free read full of humour and thoughtfulness. Two boys Kevin and new kid Daniel attend a fancy private high school and are part of the football team. Then Kevin notices a hot girl at a party and realizes that 'Dani' is none other than Daniel in drag.

'..this is who I am. Ridiculous or not. This is it. It's not a fetish. It's not erotic. I don't get turned-on because I'm wearing girl's clothes... I just... LIKE it! Maybe it IS ridiculous - but it's not my fault!

She rolled her eyes to t
Ornella (Nyx)
This was definitely something new for me. I have read my fair share of M/M books, both YA and Adult, but I hadn't found any F/F books that have really caught my attention till now. I actually just added a few to my pile. The Girl For Me was my first foray into Transgenderism in books.

I liked it. It was different and it was new to me. Kevin was a hard character to like. I liked that he was so honest and blunt, but some of the things he did as well were just...

Dani was a bit easier than Kevin, bu
*4.5 Stars* but worth rounding up!

Written in a simple style which belies the complex subject matter. The characters are well developed and show a steady progression in growth. I loved that! This book has everything - humour, romance, angst, sweetness and substance.

A definite recommended read!
A wonderful story which surprisingly was a free download. I really loved the protags and their journey to love kept me engaged throughout. Recommended!
Shelby P
This is my second book about a transgender character. I was surprised that the characters were in high school. The story started off well enough. I really liked Dani/Danny. Kevin took some getting used to being a stereotypical jock. I was drawn into the story. I really liked Uncle Keith, he was the most interesting character in the book for me.

The story started going downhill for me when (view spoiler)
Wendy Ann
A completely unique and interesting story that deserves to be a published book!

I thought the author did a brilliant job of portraying what I can only imagine as the confusion and angst someone must experience when they don’t feel quite right in their own skin. Daniel/Dani was a very witty and brave soul who really showed us the struggle between not liking their external parts because they don’t mesh with the internal feelings, the struggle over the use of labels (he/she, gay/transgender, etc.),
  • Always Joey
  • The Introspective Debate of Owen Brody
  • The Doors of Time (The Doors of Time #1)
  • Just Hit Send
  • Second Wind
  • Underlying
  • A Rose is a Rose
  • Pretty Shade of Grey
  • The Violet and the Tom
  • Louder Than Sirens, Louder Than Bells
  • Like a Sparrow Through the Heart (Like a Sparrow, #1)
  • Balancing Karma
  • Desert Dropping
  • Art Criticism
  • Cold Turkey
  • It's Like This
  • Heart in Hand
  • It Started with Brian

“Wow. I've never been in... uh..."

"A fag's bedroom before."

"Well don't touch anything. It's contagious.”
“... has three different sizes of saucepans, and a dutch-oven. The skillet will be a give-away – too bad, stainless and all - but the sides are just not deep enough to-"

"Fine fine fine – gawd, would you shut up and just buy it? Shees! I'm gonna go look at plates or something..."

"Whoa – hold on there. You think I'm letting you pick out the plates all by yourself? I'm the cook. I get to pick the plates."

"Oh god... I am not eating off Spiderman dishes!”