Start by marking “Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations” as Want to Read:

In almost every town in America there are places where strange things happen. The perfect companion to The International Directory of Haunted Places, this revised and updated edition of Haunted Places is both a fascinating and unusual travel guide as well as an indispensable casebook for those interested in the paranormal. From buildings and parks believed to have resident ...more
Published August 27th 2002 by Penguin Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Places

Lisa
Mar 01, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Fun read, but missing a lot of info and had some mistakes.
Cheryl
Feb 01, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Shelves: yuck
Two things, first, I won't count this as one of my ebook reads for the year or for that matter, a 2010 read. I started with the intention of reading it from start to finish. Finished through California, then decided it was silly to read something that is clearly designed for people traveling and looking for spooky places. Even at that, it went from fairly informative in some spots, to almost useless in others. Living in MA, I figured I oculd devote some time to the chapter, but it was sparce. Bo ...more
K Ramer
Sep 17, 2016 K Ramer rated it it was amazing
Bought this 12 years ago. Went ghost and cemetery hopping for weeks here in Los Angeles. HIGHLY RECOMMEND if you're looking for something thrilling to do in late October. Covers the entire U.S.
Tim Lang
Feb 28, 2012 Tim Lang rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Any time I travel (and being in a band, that happens a lot) I take this book with me, and if we near any places in the book, we'll stop to check them out.

Even if you don't use it as a tour guide, it's still a great little book to brush up on some scary ghost stories you can share with your friends.
Kayla Holthe
Aug 04, 2013 Kayla Holthe rated it it was amazing
Fun read! It goes state to state w short accounts of the activity and history. I liked that about it. Very creepy read, makes me want to visit some locations I haven't already been to.
J.A.
Aug 13, 2008 J.A. rated it really liked it
This is a fun, easily-digested digest of descriptions of hauntings. I intend to someday use it as a guide to determine which hotels to book in the future. ;)
Pamela
Apr 25, 2010 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Even has address in many of the palces. Helpwed me with my new book writing. Worth the money.
Brittanie
Sep 09, 2007 Brittanie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of ghost, goblins, and ghouls.
Interesting, but I found some research errors as well as editing errors.
Kristen Peterson
Jul 20, 2015 Kristen Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting read !
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Nessa Beresford
Nessa Beresford marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Anthony Tew
Anthony Tew rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Sherri Lyons
Sherri Lyons rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Denis Pedersen
Denis Pedersen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Stacey Holt milam
Stacey Holt milam marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Leela
Leela marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Signor Mambrino
Signor Mambrino marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Faith Parker
Faith Parker rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
KariDawn Moore
KariDawn Moore marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
GabbieDewolfe
GabbieDewolfe marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Wilfred Dunn
Wilfred Dunn marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Andrew Gilroy
Andrew Gilroy marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Mardi Gorham
Mardi Gorham marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
mitchell lee
mitchell lee marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Benedict Jones
Benedict Jones rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
  • Historic Haunted America
  • Encyclopedia of Haunted Places: Ghostly Locales from Around the World
  • Ghosts: True Encounters from the World Beyond
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Coast to Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling Physical Phenomena
  • Haunted Heartland
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
  • Haunted Ohio: Ghostly Tales from the Buckeye State (Buckeye Haunts)
  • Hunt for the Skinwalker: Science Confronts the Unexplained at a Remote Ranch in Utah
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • Ghosts Caught on Film: Photographs of the Paranormal
  • A Girl's Guide to Demon Hunting
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits