Start by marking “The New Thought Police: Inside the Left's Assault on Free Speech and Free Minds” as Want to Read:
The New Thought Police: Inside the Left's Assault on Free Speech and Free Minds

The New Thought Police: Inside the Left's Assault on Free Speech and Free Minds

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Stop the Left from Policing Your Mind
Our freedom to speak our minds is under attack. Like the Thought Police of George Orwell's 1984, powerful special interest groups on the Left are mounting a withering assault on our rights in the name of "social equality." Liberty has been turned on its ear as the rights of the few restrict the freedom of everyone. In The New Thought Po
Published May 26th 2010 by Crown (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The New Thought Police, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Thought Police

Jennie
I like books written by intellectually honest people who aren't afraid to call out BOTH sides on their BS.

Mike
"Loaned to me by my Dad. The last one he loaned me "The Death of Common Sense" was very good, so I have high hopes. This one appears to be a conservative agenda, so it can make up for "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" echoing the liberal agenda. This stuff is all quite fun to read. :-)

This book has *one* extremely good premise - and it's on the cover: Beware the insidious tyranny of political correctness as violating political correctness in the interest of examination and learning opens
Sean
Not everything in this book is a lie or a misrepresentation. Just most everything, starting with the author's depiction of herself in the first few pages as a progressive liberal feminist—a self-portrayal that is belied by every single other thing written in the book or on its cover.

Bruce plays with the facts in an embarrassingly transparent way. Her main thesis—that "The American Left" is working as a bloc to stifle freedom of speech and bring about a totalitarian regime in the U.S.—is undermin
Tej
I agree with Bruce that the leadership on the left has become very hypocritical and is doing more to take away our freedoms than the right ever did. But, I couldn't help feeling that she had an ax to grind after having been kicked out of NOW. Her rhetoric was just too vitriolic. And while she rants about the left's inability to accept and respect differing opinions, she seems to assume that socialism is inherently bad and anyone who subscribes to it must be bad; it's not just a different opinion ...more
Kneega
Tammy Bruce lays out how the left is slowly curtailing free speech for those they don't agree with, and does so in a very readable manner.
Rebecca
Tammy Bruce compares the left's close mindedness to George Orwell's thought police, as depicted in his book "1984". I liked this book, didn't LOVE it. I really like Tammy Bruce and I agreed with every point she made in the book. And she isn't some raving conservative, by the way. She describes herself as a conservative, lesbian, pro-choice feminist. She worked for the National Organization for Women (NOW) for a long time and uses some of her own experiences as examples in the book. As I read the ...more
Darin Lee
All In all a good read. The writing is somewhat haphazard in places. I am not a fan of alot of rhetoric and this book, while not loaded with it, does have some parts that I had to look past and judge by content rather than the authors word choices. I cannot say this book was of research quality. You would not find it helpful for a term paper as an example...but it is a good jumping off book to start you thinking and to start you asking questions about what you see going on around you.

All in All
Jeff
A lot like "The Death of Right and Wrong" by Miss Bruce, which I gave 5 stars, but part of it may be because what I read in "The Thought Police" seems so fundamental to me now, whereas the previous read was great because it was like Miss Bruce was saying everything that had been bottled up inside me without the words to express it. "The Death of Right and Wrong" will always be that book that got me paying better attention to how politics drives our culture.
Ex Leftist Orwell Is Spinning
As 'a Brit' I found the gun-totting photo on Ms Bruce's web-site alienating; I dismissed the book expecting conservative hyperbole. I was wrong. Tammy has observed, from the inside of what has become the hypocritical, hidden agenda ridden, self-serving group politic/leftism. To add to her credence in criticising such, National Organization for Women and Jesse Jackson for eg. Tammy is female and gay (not black but 2 of 3's not bad!)
Jon-David
The author an open Lesbian and former womens right activist reveals many disturbing tactics used by the organizations she has personally dealt with and been a part of. I realize that some of the bad tactics could also be used by conservative groups, but it seems that for the most part it's how she says. I recommend this book to anyone interested in politics.
Sarah N
This woman is entirely too conservative and intelligent to be a liberal as she claims. An extremely well-written book on the attempts of the Left to destroy independent thought on both sides of the aisle. She also attacks radical feminist, civil rights, and homosexual groups and shows up their bias and hypocrisy. Fantastic!
Colleen Garnett
Read it for an AP US Government book report in high school - loved it then. Would probably think a bit more critically of it now. The edition I read was actually the hardcover which came out in 2001, pre-9/11, which pretty much changes everything. It is still thought-provoking, but no longer current.
Atchisson
A feminist, lesbian former big wig at the National Organization of Women -- and a huge conservative. Fun book with not so surprising insights about her experience with NOW and other traditional bastions of leftist thought.
Evamarie
I enjoyed this book more then I thought I would. It is very thought provoking and makes you realize that free speech is under attack.
Keith
Just because I read this book doesn't make me a right winger... read it for yourself.
Robin
Interesting 'insiders' look at what the 'thought police' are doing to America.
Tiffany
You can't help but feel she is shouting at you.
Walter Calaza
Walter Calaza marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • Useful Idiots: How Liberals Got It Wrong in the Cold War and Still Blame America First
  • Shut Up & Sing: How Elites from Hollywood, Politics, and the UN are Subverting America
  • Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News
  • Give Me a Break: How I Exposed Hucksters, Cheats, and Scam Artists and Became the Scourge of the Liberal Media...
  • The Ten Things You Can't Say in America
  • High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton
  • The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What's Wrong with America
  • Hollywood vs. America
  • Hollywood, Interrupted: Insanity Chic in Babylon — The Case Against Celebrity
  • The Tragedy of American Compassion
  • The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming: And Environmentalism
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • Somebody's Gotta Say It
  • Dereliction of Duty
  • Bad Childhood--Good Life: How to Blossom and Thrive in Spite of an Unhappy Childhood
  • Don't Vote, it Just Encourages the Bastards
  • What Would the Founders Do?: Our Questions, Their Answers
The Death of Right and Wrong: Exposing the Left's Assault on Our Culture and Values The New American Revolution: Using the Power of the Individual to Save Our Nation from Extremists