Start by marking “My First Two Thousand Years: The Autobiography of the Wandering Jew (2000 Years, #1)” as Want to Read:

My First Two Thousand Years: The Autobiography of the Wandering Jew (2000 Years)

The Wandering Jew is a cosmic symbol he is man, he is woman, he is sex, he is history, he is life itself."
Published April 24th 2001 by Sheridan House (first published February 25th 1929)

To ask other readers questions about My First Two Thousand Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My First Two Thousand Years

Kevin
Jan 17, 2013 Kevin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Imagine: A man named Cartaphilus taunts Jesus on the way to the crucifixion, telling Jesus to hurry up. Jesus turns to the man and says, "I shall go but you shall tarry until I return." 30-year-old Cartaphilus ceases to age.

The Good: Cartaphilus meets many historical figures through the centuries: Appolonious, Mohommed, Atilla, Leonardo da Vinci, Spinoza, Pope Alexander VI (a Borgia), Peter the Great, Martin Luther, and many, many more. He participates in and influences various fulcrums of hist
George Henderson
Apr 07, 2015 George Henderson rated it really liked it
I found this book, and its two sequels, when I was working in a rest home. It's not a book you forget, and I was especially impressed by the third book, which is written from the point of view of his hominid sidekick and which does a great job of expounding Freud's then novel theories in lurid and fantastic fiction.
I also found and read the set of Upton Sinclair's Lanny Budd adventures, which scratch a similar historical itch.
What I didn't realise was that the first author was THE George Sylvest
Lynda
Dec 01, 2011 Lynda rated it really liked it
Really long, but well worth the read. (Were you a Highlander fan? Imagine Methos's life story.) The writing was excellent and the walk through history intriguing.
Katie
Feb 01, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
Long, but I loved "wandering through history" with the main character. I also marvel at realizing this book was written in 1929. I wanted it to continue thru to next century.
Richard
More than twenty years ago I ran across a hard-cover copy of this book at a garage sale, and subsequently read it. As I recall, it was fairly long, fairly decently done, mostly interesting or I probably wouldn't have finished it; and it had an intriguing premise. It was, I suppose, "sweeping", but no particular bits of it really stand out for me after all these years. In that sense it succeeded less (with me) than some other "autobiographies".
Mugumya Peter
I WANT TO READ THE WANDERING JEW
Justin
Mar 24, 2015 Justin rated it it was amazing
The best religious fiction I have ever read and my favorite book.
Paul
Jan 03, 2010 Paul rated it it was amazing
The rich prose is timeless.
Phyllis
Feb 12, 2011 Phyllis marked it as to-read
This book was recommended by Dorothy Pinckney. I tried to read it a couple of times. Will try again some day.
Jane
Aug 02, 2016 Jane rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites Would love to find a copy. I still remember a line (after 40 or so years),
"Unendurable pleasure indefinitely prolonged".

Shala Howell
Mar 09, 2009 Shala Howell rated it it was ok
Almost didn't finish this one. Yes, the story is interesting (fun to encounter all those historical characters), but the misogyny and religious stereotyping in it became rather wearing.
Mary Montori
Oct 12, 2013 Mary Montori rated it it was amazing
I loved the scope of history, friendships, constant learning and adventures. Good writing.
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A fabulous blend of fantasy and history. Like its protagonist"," this book has withstood the test of time!
Alex
May 27, 2007 Alex rated it liked it
Recommended to me by my Dad whom it had an impression on when he was young. It's quite a long rambling book dealing with the popular myth of the Wandering Jew but I enjoyed it.
Sue Vincent
Sue Vincent rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Elicia Otamias
Elicia Otamias rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2017
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
Valerie Loe
Valerie Loe rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Marnie
Marnie rated it really liked it
May 20, 2010
Daniel Nanavati
Daniel Nanavati rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Ricardo Lane
Ricardo Lane rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
Steve Houseman
Steve Houseman rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Paco Luna
Paco Luna rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Zak Adkins
Zak Adkins rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2013
Claudia B.
Claudia B. rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Arcadia J.
Arcadia J. rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
George Viereck was born in Germany, to a German father and American-born mother. His father Louis, born out of wedlock to German actress Edwina Viereck, was reputed to be a son of Kaiser Wilhelm I. Another relative of the Hohenzollern family assumed legal paternity of the boy. In the 1870s Louis Viereck joined the Marxist socialist movement. In 1896 Viereck emigrated to the United States. His Amer ...more
More about George Sylvester Viereck...

2000 Years (3 books)
  • Salome the Wandering Jewess: My First Two Thousand Years of Love (2000 Years, #2)
  • The Invincible Adam (2000 Years, #3)