Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Short Stories

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Short Stories

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  2,297 ratings  ·  83 reviews
This handsome collection contains all fifty-six short stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle about the world's most famous detective, Sherlock Holmes.

The stories were originally published to widespread acclaim in The Strand Magazine, London's most celebrated illustrated periodical, between 1891 and 1927; they are still just as popular today.

These fascinating tales of Ho
Published October 1985 by Chancellor Press (first published 1925)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes

Paul
THE CASE OF THE ANNOTATED DETECTIVE

"So what did you make of it?"

"Well, it's a handsome volume, Holmes. I think a fitting tribute to the many cases you've solved over the years."

"No more than that, Watson? Come come, what of this man Klinger?"

"The annotator?"

"Precisely."

"Well, he seems a trifle fussy, a bit like an over-eager terrier jumping up and barking all the time. But he's also very knowledgeable."

"Anything else? You know my methods."

"Now Holmes, I know you just wish to bamboozle me again –
Nina
I finally did it. All the Sherlock Holmes short stories are now read, and what a treat they are.

I would have finished them sooner had I not been sidetracked by other books, but oh well. I got there.

There are a lot of great mysteries here, and a few not so great (*cough*the Veiled Lodger *cough*), but great as they are, it's Sherlock Holmes's personality and the dynamic between him and good friend Watson that lift the stories to the next level - the level of eternal devotion of a huge fan base.
Em
This collection contains all of the short stories in the Holmes canon (well, all of the short stories Arthur Conan Doyle wrote, in any case). This means that while we miss classics like A Study In Scarlet (the first Holmes story) and The Hound of the Baskervilles, both of which are novel-length, we get a real treat. This collection has some of my all-time favourite stories: The Speckled Band, The Dancing Men, The Red-Headed League etc. I actually just realised that I could list them all and stil ...more
Maureen
May 11, 2009 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: holmes, short-stories
I broke down and bought all three volumes in this series after reading what other Goodreads reviewers had to say about them. It is going to be awhile before I finish the three, because each story contains some of the most interesting and useful footnotes ever appended to a piece of literature, along with illustrations not just from The Strand magazine, but from other sources as well. They also showcase various locations around London where the story takes place, along with drawings of other char ...more
Julie Davis
I'm reading the notes and enjoying the many illustrations as I enjoy listening to Derek Jacobi's narration of the separate books which are gathered within this collection. This book is beautiful and made to last with a lot of fascinating information within. For example, I now know more than I ever thought I would about the history of the graphite pencil.

The one thing I dislike is the editor's choice to include commentary and opinions of those who enjoy pretending that Holmes and Watson are real
L.K. Jay
What can you say? Sherlock is still the number one detective and this is the edition my mother has on her shelves and what I kept dipping into when I was a kid. There's everything, the mysteries, Sherlock and Watson and the villains. They are intriguing, gripping and you never, never get tired of them. Essential.
Old-Barbarossa
Sure there's the odd weak story here, but the gems more than balance them out. The whole of the canonical short stories. Good notes too. OK, there're cheaper PB editions but this is for the ACD geek. Get the annotated novels too.
Jada Gonzales
Sherlock Holmes ( /ˈʃɜrlɒk ˈhoʊmz/) is a fictional detective created by Scottish author and physician Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. A London-based "consulting detective" whose abilities border on the fantastic, Holmes is famous for his astute logical reasoning, his ability to adopt almost any disguise, and his use of forensic science skills to solve difficult cases.

I borrowed this book from our school library when I was still in High-school. I thought I lost this book forever. I paid the library and
Cindy
I read pretty much all of the Sherlock Holmes short stories years ago when my children were little. I started out with the most famous, "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and could not get through it, found it difficult reading, dry, etc. At that point in my life, to keep my adult brain nourished; my goal was to pick a new author or genre of literature and read all that I could of that author or new genre during a year. Well, Holmes was what I had chosen to stretch myself and I was determined to fi ...more
PurplyCookie
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

From the beginning introduction of Holmes and Watson to Holmes' gentle retirement to beekeepping on the southern coast of England, this book contains all the essential stories (none of the apocryphal, anecdotal, or tribute-written pieces are contained here).

Perhaps the two elements that made Holmes and Watson the world-renowned figures that they became are, first, the dominance of the British Emp
Amalie
For those of who don’t know (highly unlikely) , Sherlock Holmes is a private investigator who operates out of his rooms at 221B Baker Street in London, England.

He is a well-to-do bachelor, takes only the cases that interest him. He is high-strung and restless, and, although he finds a creative emotional outlet in playing the violin, it is often not enough to amuse his troubled mind when he is not on a case. He then injects himself with cocaine. It takes a great amount of time and efforts for hi
Maria
This edition of Sherlock Holmes stories and novels is marvellous, and absolutely worth the price (which works out to about $30 per volume). The book is physically gorgeous and lovely to touch, with lots of black and white illustrations and notations in red, and smooth glossy paper. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing. And the cover design is awesome.

What I've seen of the annotations has really impressed me, too. They are partially fannish theories sprouting around narrative discrepancies and plo
Alane Elevado
Feb 10, 2012 Alane Elevado is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot help but marvel at Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's genius at creating his Sherlock Holmes adventures. Every story is so indulging and so packed with rounds of horror and brilliance that once you start, you can't possibly want to stop. A character as complex and as brilliant as Sherlock Holmes and his science of deduction is truly one-of-a-kind, and something which probably no one could match in centuries to come.

I've only just started. There are 2 more novels and 40 or so short stories (from
Brett Hess
The Sherelock Holmes I read was a bunch of short stories of Holmes at his best. In one of them a man pulls up to the Holmes manner and comes in looking for help. He needs to get some papers from his wife so he can divorce her. the wife has locked these up. Sherlock goes undercover and is able to cause a diversion. while she is distracted he slips out the papers and takes off.

I would reccomend this book to my friends who like detective books. Sherlock is so clever and attentive to detail it's sca
Jeffrey
How can you not say you like Sherlock Holmes? Annotated by a member of the Baker Street Irregulars, this tome was bound to be informative and strange at the same time. One of the things that came to the forefront to me repeatedly on this read-through was how strangely different life was just 100 years ago. It is easy to delude ourselves into believing that we can understand people of the Victorian age (it certainly is a popular time for people to talk about / emulate), but their attitudes on jus ...more
Daniel
This is an item distinct from The Complete Sherlock Holmes already on my shelf. If you have not read all of Sherlock Holmes already, read the un-annotated version. That done, this is the place to turn if you want to know more about the great detective. It contains an amazing amount of added material, going far beyond the classic annotated edition from the mid-20th century. I really appreciate the detailed explanations of Victorian era terms with which I am unfamiliar (such as antimacassar), and ...more
Andrei
Sherlock Holmes by Conan Doyle.
986 pg. mystery

London, 1881. A murder is commited. The police is baffled. Sherlock Holmes is on the case. In each one of these short stories, Sherlock Holmes solves an impossible mystery while his trusty assistant Watson records them dutifully. Holmes is a very careful observer, and few are better than him. He uses logical reasoning to derive complex observations out of minute ordinary details.

I really enjoyed this novel since Holmes explains his logic and I apply

Kate
Full disclosure: I did not read this entire volume; due to a publisher/manufacturer error, my Nook edition of the "complete" Sherlock Holmes is missing "The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes," so I read only that section. (Which was PLENTY, thanks.) But I wanted to review this particular edition because it is clearly published for true Sherlockians, of which group I do not number myself. Up til now I have enjoyed the stories and novels enormously, but I found the annotations in this edition very dist ...more
Kirsten
This is THE definative set for fans of Sherlock Holmes. There's loads of great footnotes here, detailing aspects of Victorian culture and discussing the links between the stories. It doesn't take itself overly seriously, though -- there's some amusing stuff about possible errors in the manuscript, discontinuities (for example, Watson's wandering war wound), and unlikely but interesting possible connections between the characters. The whole thing's also liberally illustrated, with Sidney Paget's ...more
Raj
This is a lovely volume of Sherlock Holmes stories, all with the original illustrations. I'm not sure that there's a huge amount to say about the stories themselves, beyond the obvious. Watson is a likeable everyman narrator who puts up with Holmes smugness better than most people would, and some of the deductions seem a little tenuous to me, but that detracts nothing from them. To me, Conan Doyle's detective is as readable as he ever was and the companion volume containing the four Holmes novel ...more
Karen
i am giving 5 stars to the conan doyle stories-- not to this particular annotated collection. i read an annotated holmes once years ago that was much better than this. this version has an annoying conceit of pretending that "watson" actually wrote the stories and conan doyle was merely his literary agent. while many of the annotations supply some interesting information about items common to victorian england but obscure to the modern reader, the inanity of the notes' pretense of reality far out ...more
Niklas Pivic
Finally. Finished.

The annotations are worth the price as a whole, totally. Despite the original writings being filled with racistic, nationalistic, anti-feministic and insane values, The Canon is still enjoyable, if one is able to see past these things. It's a brilliant collection, and I firmly recommend it. "The Case-book of Sherlock Holmes" is a bit dodgy as it's written at the very end of The Canon, when Conan Doyle basically wanted to stop writing about Holmes, which is very evident.
Modesty_b
I bought this book when i was 13 and left it sitting on my TBR shelf for some years. my excuse was that the print was too small and the book very bulky. I picked it up after I gained some appreciation for adventure stories and small print or not I read through it. reading these stories gave me an appetite for thriller stories which haven't abated yet. these stories are a wonder to both adults and children alike and I highly recommend(as if they need recommendation)them.
David
Probably deserves four stars, but Sherlock Holmes has a special place in my heart. The footnotes are mostly good, and the accompanying essays run the gamut from odd and somewhat interesting to pretty boring. The Baker Street Irregulars are a weird bunch (and happily so, I imagine). As much as I love Holmes and Watson, the stories are uneven and often absurd (and a bit dated). That said, the care and effort put into this version is astounding and worthy of five stars.
Anthony
I last read the Holmes books as a child. So after reading the first couple of novels on my DS I decided to purchase the Annotated versions. It took several months to get through as these two contain all 56 original short stories along with an untold number of annotations. The annotations definitely added to my knowledge of Holmes arcana as well as that of Victorian England. While not for everyone, anyone who has read and enjoyed the Holmes books will enjoy these.
Ann O'Connell
I found this treasure at the library. While, I will finish before its due date, I will purchase because of its value as a reference. The annotation format is 360 degree enrichment. Lots of great illustrations and social history gems that will make you a Baker Street aficionado. (I was lukewarm about the author until I discovered this volume)

I would love to find an annotation edition for all of the classics.
Bill
Decided to take on the reading of the complete canon of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and Dr. James Watson. I'm very glad to have done so via the annotated versions (this is the first of three volumes). The annotated versions allow you to understand archaic Victorian terms and context of the stories - which is incredibly handy and makes thorough understanding of the stories possible. I can't wait to start on volume 2!
Katarina
I don't actually own thes books, so I check them out of the library EVERY time I am home. They're pretty much the definitive Sherlock Holmes texts. Not only do they have notes on the historical details, but readers are also exposed to the wide variety of Sherlockian theories, ranging from analysis of the story-telling, contradicting details, and speculation regarding untold tales.
Liam Guilar
The rating is for the edition not the stories. There's something gloriously nuts about it. Take a fictional character, pretend he's real, and then argue over ways of sorting out the discrepancies. The stories stand alone, but the annotations are worth the price of entry. And the amount of odd information that gets thrown up would keep the average trivia fanatic happy for months.
Alex Robinson
Oct 27, 2008 Alex Robinson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anal retentive nerds
Recommended to Alex by: Matt Servinskas
Shelves: fiction
If you've never read the Sherlock Holmes canon this is NOT the place to start. You're better off going with a more portable, straightforward edition without all the notes. But if you're a hardcore fan this is an awesome book. You'll be amazed at the attention to detail and the contortions the editors go to make some sort of continuity ouf of Conan Doyle's stories.
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Revenge of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #2)
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders: From the American Chronicles of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • The Night Calls
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Consulting Detective Trilogy Part I: University
  • The Return of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #1)
  • The Man Who Created Sherlock Holmes: The Life and Times of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Sherlock Holmes: Misteri Yang Tak Terpecahkan (A Slight Trick of the Mind)
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II