Start by marking “The Procrastinator's Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Procrastinator's Handbook

The Procrastinator's Handbook

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Almost everyone procrastinates. For some it causes problems and strains relationships at home and at work. For most people, though, procrastination is a frustrating or troublesome habit we would like to overcome. Rita Emmett will inspire you to get started. With humor and with advice drawn from her own triumph over procrastination and that of people she has met at her accl ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Walker Books Ltd (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Procrastinator's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Procrastinator's Handbook

Miss
currently reading since NOVEMBER 30. This is not a coincidence.
I think if I read it, I will have to change my ways. It's like any self-improvement book... I always trudge through it, no matter how short or helpful or even funny it is. This book is all three. But I keep putting off reading it...
I finished it after giving myself the deadline of October 3, after which I gave it to my oldest son. He'd requested it after I kept telling him what I was learning. There is much practical insight in this
Sandy T
As proof that I needed this book, I bought it over a year ago, and just got around to reading it!

Rita Emmett gets to the heart of why we procrastinate and hit the nail on the head so many times for me --- I have the book all marked up and dog-eared, and plan on referring back to it at those times when I feel "stuck".

One thing she suggests is making a list of 101 things you've been meaning to do or finish but haven't got around to. It's good to get all those things out of your head and onto paper
Greg
Mar 28, 2011 Greg rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Procrastinators of all stripes!
In an effort to find new ways to increase my productivity and task focus, recently I checked out The Procrastinator's Handbook from the local library. This book came highly recommended in reviews on Amazon, and I have to agree. Unable to sleep because of a bad cold, I searched the book for ideas in a marathon session between midnight and 4:30 AM one morning and took five pages of notes. Some of the ideas I found useful were:

1. Eat the frog...Mark Twain once said that if you wake up and know you
pri
i was hoping that this would get me out of a work rut, but no such luck. words and tips that i'd seen many times before. some little bits of inspiration mostly filtered through a lot of practical knowledge.

i did love this quote:
Almost every carpenter in the country knows that you have to measure twice and cut once. Making mistakes when you cut can be very expensive. "On the other hand, even though they measure twice, sometimes there's a mistake. Ad do you know what they say to themselves when t
William
I was going to give a 3 before reading the end of the book (about dreams procrastination), because I didn't thought that book was too long in the middle, and not practical enough for me to apply. I was expecting more especially because she says herself it's so much valuable from the beginning of the book.

I like the fact she insert some quotes of other famous books I've read, the fact she talks in detail about all kind of procrastination in a way some books such as The Now Habit and Getting Thing
John Nichols
Rita Emmett has provided a resource to help anyone struggling with the malady of procrastination. The author defines the disease and its symptoms then offers practical advice for healing. This is a "must read" for anyone desiring to become more efficient at the demands of life.
Al Joseph
Mar 23, 2014 Al Joseph rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every living person
This is the second time I am reading this amazing book. I've never been a problematic procrastinator, but as most people discover, we can all use a little, if not a lot, of refining and organization in our lives.

There are tips tools and real-life experiences which Rita Emmett shares and I for one can relate to a numerous root causes of procrastination. that being repetition of the most insignificant thing leading into full blown, I am overwhelmed, too much to do too little time.

This book helped
Sadie
I liked this book. There's nothing super revolutionary in it but lots of practical ideas that if implemented would probably really change my life for the better. I'm a huge procrastinator and lot of what she wrote rings true.
Samantha Hines
Well written, but I fear that any book written for procrastination will probably never be read by a procrastinator ;-)
Patricia
My favorite quote so far, by the author, Rita Emmett:

"God created company so the house would get cleaned."
Gene
Apr 13, 2007 Gene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dwayne, tk, wiliam
Shelves: productivity
One of the most compassionate and useful books I've found on procrastination.

Looking back, I think this book gave me some good tips on dealing with procrastination, understanding its causes and how to deal with it.

However, I think achieving a breakthrough in addressing it in a systematic manner still required reading until I implemented the practicies in [book:Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook: The Eight Best Practices of Task and E-Mail Management.

I think I must now re-read this boo
Milka
If you've never read a book on how to stop procrastinating and how to plan better, this is a good start. If you have read on the subject, this book won't tell you what you already know. You need to identify all the times you procrastinate and the reason(s) why. Setting goals and planning the steps to reach them will help, as well as declutter your environment. This book includes a lot of concrete examples and quotes to motivate you. I recommend reading Brian Tracy's book No Excuses!: The Power o ...more
Amy
I should be mastering the art of reading it now!

Well, I still have a couple of chapters to go, but, well, if you are a procrastinator then you know how that goes. Anyway, this book has some good advice, but I've heard it before. Plan, make lists, declutter, etc. That's all great, it's just the actually doing it that is the hard part! We'll have to wait and see how well the given advice "takes". At least this book does explore the reasons that different people procrastinate and what holds them ba
Gail Gauthier
This book seems to be more about time management, which is Emmett's original field of expertise, than it is about procrastination. I don't recall seeing a definition of procrastination, and it seems as if that "condition" ought to be something beyond just not getting things done.

Many of the techniques given for dealing with procrastination are legitimate, traditional time management methods, and a reader can learn a lot about them here. But not everyone who needs to manage time in order to get
April Dorris
I need some help. I'll have to live with this a bit before I can really review.
Peggy
This book was amazing. I got it from the library, and I will buy it to keep to refer back to regularly. It covers the topic of procrastination very well with great tips on overcoming this weakness along with ideas on getting control of your life in several areas, as lack of control can often cause us to be procrastinators. She uses humor and real life examples to help us identify this problem and lots of good ideas to help us become stronger in our weak areas. This book fits well with Gospel pri ...more
Amanda
Could be better if it were newer but some solid advice!
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/38017.html[return][return]what an excellent book. The patterns of behaviour it describes are me exactly. I've been buying these sorts of self-improvement books off and on for a few years now but this is the first one that really seemed to me to get to the heart of my particular problem - untidy desk, projects delayed, personal finances not up to date, not enough exercise. Lots of little homework exercises. $2.50 well spent (I hope).
M Pereira
I've learned a bit from this book. The most salient things are the insights that confirm a lot of my experience as a professional procrastinator. I thought some of the anecdotes were interesting and some less so. All the same, the very notion of a book like this is almost ironic in that many people who it targets might not actually end up reading it all! If you are reading this book and have finished it, you probably aren't the worst kind of procrastinator. Now to get on with my work....
Jenn
***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***
I found this to be an excellent book. I enjoyed the work sheet questions at the end of each chapter and found some of the the methods to be helpful. Although even though I've finished reading the book I haven't quite gotten around to answering all the assignments and implementing all the methods. In theory I think they'll work well, it's just a matter of putting them in action. The book was written in a conversational tone and was a joy to read.
Kelly
I am a Master Procrastinator and I really enjoyed the tips and ideas in this book. I'm going to keep this book on my shelf as a reference for a while, but I plan on sharing it down the road.
I'm so glad I finally got around to reading this book. Now lets see if I can start employing some of these great ideas.
Pretty self explanatory. It took me several months to get through this book...Ideas were pretty common sense. A lot of listmaking, which I already do. A reward system for when you accomplish a task. basically just taking control of your life and planning ahead in order to accomplish what you want out of life.
Anton Klink
Having read it quite a number of years ago, I remember liking it, yet I can't seem to remember too many specifics about it. Obviously it wasn't bad, otherwise I would have remembered that, but neither was it good enough to burn a vivid image into my mind, so three stars is probably the fairest rating I can give it.
Natasa Tovornik
I quite liked the book despite having a really self-help form and title. The content though is well structured, provides good examples, some exercise and several quotes (my favorite). Definitely a good read if having problems with procrastinating or even decision-making.
Nicoll Campbell
A little book big in inspiration and get up and go... I went the audio option and it was 3 hours well invested........

I already started to implement some solutions but I will leave it the ipod for when I catch myself procrasinating unnecessarily.....
Morgan
Jan 16, 2008 Morgan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Procrastinators everywhere
Recommended to Morgan by: My mom
There were some parts of this book I didn't need to read. That being said, however; it was well written, motivating and easy to read. It actually helped me out a bit. I will definitely keep it on the shelf and use it to refresh my memory every now and then.
eileen
I added this to my to-read list in 2009, and finally read it in 6/2013. While the author makes some good points, the info isn't that earth-shattering. For me, it wasn't worth the wait. I got more concrete suggestions out of The Happiness Project.
Arjuna G
It took me MONTHS to finish this book. :p

But seriously, though a bit outdated, (I actually use an online calendar & to-do list, to some good effect) it has some good advice, and at some point, I swear I'll go back & do some of the exercises.
Helen
Dec 01, 2007 Helen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I was given this for my birthday in 2006, and true to form, I have not read it yet. Isn't it right that I haven't? I mean, it would be pretty ironic to read a book on procrastination in any kind of timely manner.

Support my laziness, dammit.
Amy
This was an awesome book to help you realize why procrastinating is actually serving a purpose in your life, although it's not normally a good purpose. It really did help me start to move in good directions when I felt frozen.
  • Never Be Late Again: 7 Cures for the Punctually Challenged
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • The Highly Sensitive Person in Love: Understanding and Managing Relationships When the World Overwhelms You
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Organizing your Life
  • Worry
  • The Circle
  • Sink Reflections
  • The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping
  • Be Happy Without Being Perfect: How to Break Free from the Perfection Deception
  • Lifehacker: 88 Tech Tricks to Turbocharge Your Day
  • PhD Chapter 2: Life is tough and then you graduate
  • The Rhythm of Life: Living Every Day with Passion and Purpose
  • Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide
  • Napoleon Hill's Positive Action Plan: 365 Meditations For Making Each Day a Success
  • Don't Send a Resume: And Other Contrarian Rules to Help Land a Great Job
  • Love Is Never Enough: How Couples Can Overcome Misunderstandings, Resolve Conflicts, and Solve
  • Bobbi Brown Living Beauty
  • The University of Chicago Spanish - English English - Spanish Dictionary
The Clutter-Busting Handbook: Clean It Up, Clear It Out, And Keep Your Life Clutter-free Manage Your Time to Reduce Your Stress: A Handbook for the Overworked, Overscheduled, and Overwhelmed The Clutter-Busting Handbook Procrastinating Child The Procrastinating Child