Start by marking “Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)

Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  21 reviews
What's so wrong with admiring from a distance? Mira's quirky puppy love for Chief Wenonga, a well-muscled fiberglass statue in her Minnesota small town, might be a safer love pursuit than online dating. But when the 23-foot Chief goes missing from his cement base, Mira's not the only citizen to be crushed. The town of Battle Lake is celebrating their statue's 25th annivers ...more
Paperback
Published September 8th 2007 by Midnight Ink (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Knee High by the Fourth of July, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knee High by the Fourth of July

Gloria Mccracken
A Janet Evanovich wannabe. Besides that annoyance, there was an egregious error of fact. I can say from first-hand experience that residents of Wisconsin, most specifically residents of Wausau, do NOT call pop "soda", despite the assertion in the book. Also do not like AT ALL cliff-hanging endings. They're a cheap attempt to get you to read the next in the series. Sorry. I'm not biting.
Lighthearted
The small town of Battle Lake, Minnesota loves its festivals. Chief Wenonga Days are just around the corner but there’s a problem: the large statue of the Chief is missing. There’s also the fact that the main evidence left behind includes a partial scalp and a full set of Mira James’ fingerprints.

While Mira is tracking down clues around town, hoping to find the culprits before Head of Police Gary Wohnt finds her, she discovers a dead body. As if her new talent for finding dead bodies isn’t bad e
Natasha Montgomery
I am enjoying this series so far. It has been written simply and concisely which makes for an enjoyable and easy read.

However, what I really like about this series is that the author obviously greatly enjoys to write. It's hard to dislike a novel that has been written so joyously.

These books really are very entertaining which is what I primarily look for in a novel. It's great to learn something profound or educational from a novel but sometimes a good story is what hits the spot.
Marianne
Mira is a feisty sleuth - I love the setting of this series in Battle Creek and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Patricia
Very enjoyable. Mira James is realistic, relatable, and spunky - the perfect heroine. The story was well-plotted, with very few loose ends, and an unexpected twist. Loved it!
Tina Axell
I like this series, and I think the characters are being developed well with each story.
Heidi
I picked this up from the library's browsing shelves, looking for some summer-reading fluff. And that's exactly what it is. Amateurishly written with waaaaay too many insiginificant details (do I really care what she eats for breakfast and the order in which she weeds her garden?) and too many "I-did-this-and-then-I-did-this-and-then-I-did-this" passages. But the story was quick and interesting enough to finish. And it had its humorous moments. So it was what I expected it to be, though I'd hope ...more
Vicki
I'm hooked. I ran across June Bug in the Kindle Freebies and had a delightful read so I went looking for July's episode and waited until I found it for the price of $1.99. At the finish of Knee High by the Fourth of July, I gladly paid full price for the August installment - August Moon. What a light and entertaining series!!
Kimberly
Another good one in this series. Read it on the 4th of July - felt so appropriate. Can't wait to read the next books. I really like discovering a series I like that already has a few books out so I can read them back-to-back and not have to wait endlessly until the next book is released.
Cathy
Another tasty summer read that I enjoyed because it's light fluff about small-town Minnesota. I lived in the frozen state for thirteen years, and I get nostalgic for the golly-gee-whiz friendliness of the people and the state's simple charms.
Amy
The third book in the Mira James series. It was a fun, quick read, but I felt this one wrapped up a bit too quick at the end. I'm a bit sad that the statues came from Stevens Point, rather than FAST in Sparta.
Cindy
This was faster moving than the first two, sucked you in and kept you entertained right up to the last page. Had me laughing out loud a few times. Can't wait to get the next one.
Anne
I liked the book, i don't think i like the way it ended though. but i suppose that is how these series books go. maybe i will have to read more.. lol
Patricia
It was ok. It was slow moving. I kept thinking I couldn't wait to start the next book that I had just got.
Carrie
This was cute. Not much of a mystery but I like the characters and it's a fun series.
Georgiana Huizenga
Another fun mystery in the author's murder by the month series. A quick, fun read.
Bobbi Aakhus
I think this book was a bit obvious as an ending - that sort of irritated me.
Breann
My favorite so far of the series! Great fun, a page-turner!
Glenn Harris
Another fun entry in the Murder by Month cozy series.
Claudia
I just can't read any more of this book.
Vickie
Fun series
Dawn Allman
Dawn Allman marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Dec 09, 2014
Shaeron
Shaeron marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • Well-Offed in Vermont (Pret’ Near Perfect Mystery #1)
  • Dusted To Death (Charlotte LaRue Mystery #8)
  • Murder Trims the Tree (A Gertie Johnson Christmas Novella)
  • The Fright of the Iguana (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #5)
  • Murder Most Maine (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #3)
  • Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)
  • Ghost in the Polka Dot Bikini (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #2)
  • Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
  • Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • Bats and Bones (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries, #1)
  • Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Catnapped! (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #13)
  • Working Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #1)
  • Hush My Mouth
  • Murder on Parade (Murder, She Wrote, #29)
  • Getting Old is Criminal (Gladdy Gold, #3)
  • Deception in Paradise (Paradise, #2)
Jess Lourey is the author of the Lefty-nominated Murder-by-Month mysteries set in Battle Lake, Minnesota and featuring amateur sleuth, Mira James. October Fest, the sixth in the star-reviewed series, hits shelves May 2011. Kirkus Reviews calls it "...funny, ribald, and full of small-town eccentrics."

Jess has been teaching writing and sociology at the college level since 1998. When not raising her
More about Jess Lourey...
May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1) September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5) June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2) August Moon (Murder-by-Month Mystery #4) October Fest (Murder-by-Month Mystery #6)