Start by marking “Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)

Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  430 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
What's so wrong with admiring from a distance? Mira's quirky puppy love for Chief Wenonga, a well-muscled fiberglass statue in her Minnesota small town, might be a safer love pursuit than online dating. But when the 23-foot Chief goes missing from his cement base, Mira's not the only citizen to be crushed. The town of Battle Lake is celebrating their statue's 25th annivers ...more
Paperback
Published September 8th 2007 by Midnight Ink (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Knee High by the Fourth of July, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knee High by the Fourth of July

Melissa
Jul 09, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
These books are so-so to me, but I keep reading them. I will say this was better than the last one. I like the setting but sometimes the Mira character just seems a bit too out-there for belief. It is original how the mystery doesn't always start with or center around a murder. This time it centered around a missing statue, so it is creative.
Gloria Mccracken
Mar 16, 2013 Gloria Mccracken rated it it was ok
A Janet Evanovich wannabe. Besides that annoyance, there was an egregious error of fact. I can say from first-hand experience that residents of Wisconsin, most specifically residents of Wausau, do NOT call pop "soda", despite the assertion in the book. Also do not like AT ALL cliff-hanging endings. They're a cheap attempt to get you to read the next in the series. Sorry. I'm not biting.
Sherill Leonardi
Jan 05, 2015 Sherill Leonardi rated it really liked it
Mira James' hormones aren't the only things heating up in Battle Lake, Minnesota. The town's beloved "Chief Wenonga" statue is stolen, sabotaging the annual holiday festival. Finger pointing ensues and tensions rise well above the 86 degree summer temperature. And speaking of fingers, Mira manages to get her fingerprints all over the evidence, not to mention the scene of a murder. It'll take more than Mira's bravado to get her out of this mess. Jess Lourey's "Knee High by the 4th of July" is a l ...more
Lighthearted
May 11, 2010 Lighthearted rated it really liked it
The small town of Battle Lake, Minnesota loves its festivals. Chief Wenonga Days are just around the corner but there’s a problem: the large statue of the Chief is missing. There’s also the fact that the main evidence left behind includes a partial scalp and a full set of Mira James’ fingerprints.

While Mira is tracking down clues around town, hoping to find the culprits before Head of Police Gary Wohnt finds her, she discovers a dead body. As if her new talent for finding dead bodies isn’t bad e
Gretchen
Jul 15, 2015 Gretchen rated it liked it
I like this series. Sometimes Mira reminds me of Stephanie Plum with the situations she gets mixed up in. When the town's huge fiberglass statue of Chief Wenonga disappears right before their Wenonga Days festival, Mira gets involved in trying to find him. She is also still in lust with the landscaper Johnny, who is accused of murder in this book.
Natasha Montgomery
May 30, 2014 Natasha Montgomery rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this series so far. It has been written simply and concisely which makes for an enjoyable and easy read.

However, what I really like about this series is that the author obviously greatly enjoys to write. It's hard to dislike a novel that has been written so joyously.

These books really are very entertaining which is what I primarily look for in a novel. It's great to learn something profound or educational from a novel but sometimes a good story is what hits the spot.
Marianne
Sep 09, 2014 Marianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: september-2014
Mira is a feisty sleuth - I love the setting of this series in Battle Creek and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Patricia
Oct 10, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. Mira James is realistic, relatable, and spunky - the perfect heroine. The story was well-plotted, with very few loose ends, and an unexpected twist. Loved it!
Tina Axell
May 20, 2014 Tina Axell rated it really liked it
I like this series, and I think the characters are being developed well with each story.
Jan
Apr 17, 2016 Jan rated it liked it
Good yarn. Makes me want to go see Battle Lake.
Heidi
Jun 05, 2008 Heidi rated it it was ok
Shelves: modernfiction
I picked this up from the library's browsing shelves, looking for some summer-reading fluff. And that's exactly what it is. Amateurishly written with waaaaay too many insiginificant details (do I really care what she eats for breakfast and the order in which she weeds her garden?) and too many "I-did-this-and-then-I-did-this-and-then-I-did-this" passages. But the story was quick and interesting enough to finish. And it had its humorous moments. So it was what I expected it to be, though I'd hope ...more
Vicki
Aug 13, 2011 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm hooked. I ran across June Bug in the Kindle Freebies and had a delightful read so I went looking for July's episode and waited until I found it for the price of $1.99. At the finish of Knee High by the Fourth of July, I gladly paid full price for the August installment - August Moon. What a light and entertaining series!!
Kimberly
Jul 05, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Another good one in this series. Read it on the 4th of July - felt so appropriate. Can't wait to read the next books. I really like discovering a series I like that already has a few books out so I can read them back-to-back and not have to wait endlessly until the next book is released.
Samella Livas
It was ok

It was an story. Something I would recommend to middle or high school students. But it was well written and books were made to be read and I like to read so there you have it. I can't do better so I have no room to bash the author.
Cathy
Aug 01, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another tasty summer read that I enjoyed because it's light fluff about small-town Minnesota. I lived in the frozen state for thirteen years, and I get nostalgic for the golly-gee-whiz friendliness of the people and the state's simple charms.
Amy
Dec 29, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
The third book in the Mira James series. It was a fun, quick read, but I felt this one wrapped up a bit too quick at the end. I'm a bit sad that the statues came from Stevens Point, rather than FAST in Sparta.
Cindy
This was faster moving than the first two, sucked you in and kept you entertained right up to the last page. Had me laughing out loud a few times. Can't wait to get the next one.
Anne
Jun 10, 2010 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book, i don't think i like the way it ended though. but i suppose that is how these series books go. maybe i will have to read more.. lol
Lorlee
Mar 25, 2016 Lorlee rated it really liked it
Light mystery. I like them since they are about my home area. Fun to read about things one has grown up with. Inspiration Peak, Big Ole.
Patricia
Aug 10, 2008 Patricia rated it it was ok
It was ok. It was slow moving. I kept thinking I couldn't wait to start the next book that I had just got.
Carrie
Mar 23, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
This was cute. Not much of a mystery but I like the characters and it's a fun series.
Georgiana Huizenga
May 23, 2012 Georgiana Huizenga rated it really liked it
Another fun mystery in the author's murder by the month series. A quick, fun read.
Bobbi Aakhus
Aug 11, 2011 Bobbi Aakhus rated it liked it
I think this book was a bit obvious as an ending - that sort of irritated me.
Breann
Oct 25, 2008 Breann rated it it was amazing
My favorite so far of the series! Great fun, a page-turner!
Glenn Harris
Oct 27, 2012 Glenn Harris rated it really liked it
Another fun entry in the Murder by Month cozy series.
Claudia
Dec 28, 2012 Claudia rated it did not like it
I just can't read any more of this book.
Vickie
Oct 01, 2012 Vickie rated it really liked it
Fun series
E.veale
E.veale rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
  • Dusted To Death (Charlotte LaRue Mystery #8)
  • The Fright of the Iguana (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #5)
  • A Catered Fourth of July (A Mystery with Recipes, #10)
  • Well-Offed in Vermont (Pret’ Near Perfect Mystery #1)
  • Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Murder Most Maine (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #3)
  • Bats and Bones (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries, #1)
  • Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • The Passover Murder (Christine Bennett, #7)
  • Booked for Trouble (Lighthouse Library Mystery #2)
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • Checked Out (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #14)
  • Getting Old is Criminal (Gladdy Gold, #3)
  • Dial H for Hitchcock (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #5)
  • Murder Bites the Bullet
  • Dead Man Stalking (Barbara Marr Murder #5)
Jess Lourey is the author of the Lefty-nominated Murder-by-Month mysteries set in Battle Lake, Minnesota and featuring amateur sleuth, Mira James. October Fest, the sixth in the star-reviewed series, hits shelves May 2011. Kirkus Reviews calls it "...funny, ribald, and full of small-town eccentrics."

Jess has been teaching writing and sociology at the college level since 1998. When not raising her
More about Jess Lourey...

Murder-by-Month Mystery (10 books)
  • May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1)
  • June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2)
  • August Moon (Murder-by-Month Mystery #4)
  • September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5)
  • October Fest (Murder-by-Month Mystery #6)
  • November Hunt