Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)

Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  17 reviews
What's so wrong with admiring from a distance? Mira's quirky puppy love for Chief Wenonga, a well-muscled fiberglass statue in her Minnesota small town, might be a safer love pursuit than online dating. But when the 23-foot Chief goes missing from his cement base, Mira's not the only citizen to be crushed. The town of Battle Lake is celebrating their statue's 25th annivers...more
Paperback
Published September 8th 2007 by Midnight Ink (first published September 1st 2007)

Gloria Mccracken
A Janet Evanovich wannabe. Besides that annoyance, there was an egregious error of fact. I can say from first-hand experience that residents of Wisconsin, most specifically residents of Wausau, do NOT call pop "soda", despite the assertion in the book. Also do not like AT ALL cliff-hanging endings. They're a cheap attempt to get you to read the next in the series. Sorry. I'm not biting.
Lighthearted
The small town of Battle Lake, Minnesota loves its festivals. Chief Wenonga Days are just around the corner but there’s a problem: the large statue of the Chief is missing. There’s also the fact that the main evidence left behind includes a partial scalp and a full set of Mira James’ fingerprints.

While Mira is tracking down clues around town, hoping to find the culprits before Head of Police Gary Wohnt finds her, she discovers a dead body. As if her new talent for finding dead bodies isn’t bad e...more
Heidi
I picked this up from the library's browsing shelves, looking for some summer-reading fluff. And that's exactly what it is. Amateurishly written with waaaaay too many insiginificant details (do I really care what she eats for breakfast and the order in which she weeds her garden?) and too many "I-did-this-and-then-I-did-this-and-then-I-did-this" passages. But the story was quick and interesting enough to finish. And it had its humorous moments. So it was what I expected it to be, though I'd hope...more
Vicki
I'm hooked. I ran across June Bug in the Kindle Freebies and had a delightful read so I went looking for July's episode and waited until I found it for the price of $1.99. At the finish of Knee High by the Fourth of July, I gladly paid full price for the August installment - August Moon. What a light and entertaining series!!
Kimberly
Another good one in this series. Read it on the 4th of July - felt so appropriate. Can't wait to read the next books. I really like discovering a series I like that already has a few books out so I can read them back-to-back and not have to wait endlessly until the next book is released.
Cathy
Another tasty summer read that I enjoyed because it's light fluff about small-town Minnesota. I lived in the frozen state for thirteen years, and I get nostalgic for the golly-gee-whiz friendliness of the people and the state's simple charms.
Amy
The third book in the Mira James series. It was a fun, quick read, but I felt this one wrapped up a bit too quick at the end. I'm a bit sad that the statues came from Stevens Point, rather than FAST in Sparta.
Cindy
This was faster moving than the first two, sucked you in and kept you entertained right up to the last page. Had me laughing out loud a few times. Can't wait to get the next one.
Anne
I liked the book, i don't think i like the way it ended though. but i suppose that is how these series books go. maybe i will have to read more.. lol
Patricia
It was ok. It was slow moving. I kept thinking I couldn't wait to start the next book that I had just got.
Carrie
This was cute. Not much of a mystery but I like the characters and it's a fun series.
Georgiana Huizenga
Another fun mystery in the author's murder by the month series. A quick, fun read.
Bobbi Aakhus
I think this book was a bit obvious as an ending - that sort of irritated me.
Breann
My favorite so far of the series! Great fun, a page-turner!
Glenn Harris
Another fun entry in the Murder by Month cozy series.
Claudia
I just can't read any more of this book.
Vickie
Fun series
Cate
Cate marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Apr 19, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
  • Well-Offed in Vermont (Pret’ Near Perfect Mystery #1)
  • Wined and Died (Home Crafting Mystery, #5)
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Nothing to Fear But Ferrets (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #2)
  • Mama Rides Shotgun (A Mace Bauer Mystery #2)
  • Murder Buys a T-shirt (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #1)
  • Mai Tai One On (A Tiki Goddess Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Talks Turkey (Gertie Johnson, #3)
  • Murder Most Maine (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #3)
  • Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)
  • Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • Deadly Gamble (A Charlie Parker Mystery #1)
  • Knock 'em Dead (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #2)
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
  • Deadly Politics (A Molly Malone Mystery, #1)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1)
  • Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3)
Jess Lourey is the author of the Lefty-nominated Murder-by-Month mysteries set in Battle Lake, Minnesota and featuring amateur sleuth, Mira James. October Fest, the sixth in the star-reviewed series, hits shelves May 2011. Kirkus Reviews calls it "...funny, ribald, and full of small-town eccentrics."

Jess has been teaching writing and sociology at the college level since 1998. When not raising her...more
More about Jess Lourey...
May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1) September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5) June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2) August Moon (Murder-by-Month Mystery #4) October Fest (Murder-by-Month Mystery #6)