Centuries of June

Centuries of June

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Centuries of June is a bold departure, a work of dazzling breadth and technical virtuosity.

Set in the bathroom of an old house just before dawn on a night in June, Centuries of June is a black comedy about a man who is attempting to tell the story of how he ended up on the floor with a hole in his head. But he keeps getting interrupted by a series of suspects—eight women l...more
Published May 31st 2011 by Crown (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Centuries of June, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Centuries of June

Lauren
Reading this book was like dissecting a Dali - surreal, fantastic, with small bits of recognizable traits from "real life" but otherwise, a dreamscape when time and space don't jive. The book is a dying man's look back on history - through the eyes of eight women and a male "guide" that morphs from his late father to Samuel Beckett, to his living brother...

The man falls on his way to the bathroom in the middle of the night... as he lays on the bathroom tile, people join him in the bathroom - si...more
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
This unique novel mixes surreal lit fic and dreamy historical fiction to make a (mostly) compelling story about love, loss, responsibility, and moving on. The reader and the unnamed narrator are plunged immediately -- from the first paragraph -- into the same confusing mystery: what happened to him and who are all these people in his bathroom?

Strangely I feel ambivalent toward this novel even though it hits so many elements I like in a book: fascinating heroines, literary references, story-withi...more
Michelle H
From www.thebookdorks.com

WEIRD. Centuries of June is just plain weird, but compellingly so. At times, it is laugh-out-loud funny and at others, it is simply surreal and hallucinatory. And I loved it.

The novel begins with our narrator landing on his bathroom floor bleeding profusely from a head wound which he acknowledges will make his floor “murder to clean.” Ha! As he attempts to recount how he ended up there, he is joined by a doppleganger of his father who sneezes feathers and subsists solely...more
Tevya (Reading Lark)
Centuries of June is set in the bathroom of Jack's home. Jack finds himself dying on his bathroom floor and is visited by a trail of women who all have tales to weave for him. These tales take place over a course of time spanning from pre-Colombian times to present, including stories from the Salem witch trials, Southern Gothic, and Native American folklore and mythology. Jack begins inserting himself into the stories, and he finds that the women seem to be familiar to him. While the stories the...more
Ryan G
When Jack falls, naked, in his bathroom, he cracks his head open and starts to bleed to death. When he comes to, he isn't quite sure what's going on, other than the fact there are eight naked women lying in his bed. Confused and disoriented he goes back to the bathroom and meets an old man, who he thinks is his deceased father. Over the course of an untold amount of time, though the clock never changes from 4:52 am, Jack is visited by seven of those women while he is still in the bathroom. All s...more
Sheri
I picked this up because I liked the cover and really had no idea what I was going to find. Essentially it is a collection of short stories linked together by the main character Jack. In general I don’t like short stories, but something about this collection worked well for me. It has a bit of Dicken’s Christmas Carol in that the reader (or at least this reader) is unsure if Jack is dreaming or hallucinating and wondering what kind of lesson he will have learned when he wakes in the morning.

Of c...more
Kelly
It's been a few weeks and I still cannot fully express how much I loved this book and why. It's like asking a 2 year old to explain dark matter...impossible. Irrespective of being a grown ass woman who knows how to use her words, I just can't put together a bunch in such a way that you want to buy this book. It could also be the lack of serotonin and an abundance of chocolate. Either way, do me a favor, just buy the damn book. And if my vulgar demand isn't enough, just read this small excerpt fr...more
Wendy Hines
This has got to be one of the strangest books I have ever read. Nonetheless, it is very addictive. It opens with "Jack" watching his blood flow onto the bathroom tiles. He's hit his head with half of his naked body in the bathroom and half in the hallway. He momentarily thinks how regretful he would be if someone found him in his current situation. His pain ebbs and that is when his departed father appears sitting on the edge of the bathtub.

Jack immediately feels better and is able to stand. He...more
Lee Razer
Having read all of two novels by Donohue now, with a third about to be teed up, I can say I really like this author. He's a smart cookie who has also got imagination and a sense of humor, and as a novelist at least he lives in a spirit filled world. He mixes absurdist whimsy with realist melancholy in a way that really appeals to me though I readily imagine not to everyone. Would it be absurd to compare his novels to the music of The Smiths here? Well, I won't yet, but an analogy is tickling the...more
Bill
Really like this author, and this was a good book, but his debut novel, The Stolen Child, was so spectacular, and his second, Angels of Destruction, so close to that level, that this one pales just a bit by comparison. But just a bit! The great thing about this one, for me, was that there are so many stories included from so many different points in history. It's kind of like seven short historical novellas in one book. It begins with a man waking up on his bathroom floor, totally disoriented an...more
drey
Keith Donohue is a new-to-me author, though I have The Stolen Child sitting on my shelves (and it's been sitting there for a while now). But I couldn't turn down the opportunity to check out his latest, Centuries of June. I mean, the blurb had me at "black comedy about a man who is attempting to tell the story of how he ended up on the floor with a hole in his head"... How do you turn down something like that?

I will admit to reading this slowly at first. Really slowly... In fact, it probably too...more
Chris
I was so sad as I read this. I LOVE Donohue's use of language and writing style in general. He makes me angry how talented he is; however, this book is nowhere near as good as THE STOLEN CHILD--it's not even as good as ANGEL OF DESTRUCTION. Much as I love his writing, his novels are on a downward slope. I really, REALLY hope his next one is on the incline, or I'm going to have to stop telling people he's one of my favorite authors.... Sad day.

This one might not have bothered me as much if it had...more
Kevin Farrell
This booked is packed with stories, each told by a woman from a different era in history. The audience is a young man who has apparently just died a violent death. That is all I am going to tell you. None of it makes sense until the end. Was it worth the trip? Not to me.

I can recommend this book for wonderful writing, interesting characters and great stories. What it lacked for me was some understanding of how they were supposed to fit together. This is not a fault of how it is written. This is...more
Svenja
Die Uhr schlägt 4:52 als Jack in seinem Badezimmer fällt und sich den Kopf anschlägt.
Als er wieder zu sich kommt erblickt er einen älteren Mann den er als seinen verstorbenen Vater identifiziert.
Leicht verwirrt über diese Tatsache hält er sich in einem Traum gefangen, als er dann noch 8 Frauen in seinem Schlafzimmer wahrnimmt wird ihm klar, dass ihm eine turbulente Nacht bevorsteht.
Eine Frau nach der anderen gesellt sich zu den beiden Männern ins Badezimmer und jedes mal wird Jack mit einem ver...more
CharlieAndrews
Cover & Titel: Schlichter als im englischen Original, aber dennoch passend für den Inhalt, der sich ähnlich wie auf dem Bild in einer Blase, fernab von Realität und Gegenwart abspielt. Dafür finde ich den Titel einfach toll gewählt, jede der acht Frauen erzählt ihre Geschichte, beginnend oder enden im Sommermonat Juni.

Figuren: Jacks Figur beginnt nichtssagend und vielleicht habe ich mir deshalb so schwer getan, mich an ihn zu gewöhnen. Das Buch beginnt mit seinem Sturz im Badezimmer, der Les...more
Pam
Jul 10, 2011 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: taking-a-break
Won a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads!! Just started reading it, and not to get ahead of my self, but it's off to a pretty good start =)
Andrea Guy
Keith Donohue's novel Centuries Of June is hard to classify. It is several stories within a story and they all come together at the end. When I first started reading Centuries of June I wasn't sure what to make of it. The lead character is on the floor in the basement with a hole in his head. Then the women start coming in. Most don't seem to like Jack very much either. But as they arrive they have stories to tell, and none of them are pretty.

Once I got over the initial confusion of how the stor...more
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
“Cen­turies of June” by Keith Dono­hue is a fic­tional book where a man meet his past con­sorts. The book’s time­line is irrel­e­vant since it com­pro­mises of sev­eral unre­lated tales which all have a com­mon denominator.

A man wakes up to use the bath­room in the mid­dle of the night. Some­how he finds him­self lying on the floor with a gash­ing wound in his head. Another man appears which the man thinks might be his deceased father.

One by one sev­eral women appear try­ing to kill the nar­ra­t...more
Debra Martin
Copy provided by Goldberg McDuffie Communications, NYC.

CENTURIES OF JUNE is the story of one man’s journey when he’s confronted with haphazardness of life. The book opens with a man, we later learn his name is Jack, who somehow falls in the bathroom and hits his head. From an awkward position on the bathroom floor, he watches helplessly as “a scarlet river seeped into the grout.” It is a compelling opening and I was curious to see what the author would offer up next.

Mr. Donahue tells an intrigu...more
J.M. Cornwell
Good clear writing, confusing plot.

It is the middle of the night and Harry finds himself on the bathroom floor with a hole in the back of his head. When he gets up off the floor, he faces an old man who seems very familiar and yet he cannot place how he knows the old man. One good thing about the old man is that he keeps a Tlingit woman from bashing in Harry's skull. In order to explain why, Yeikoo.shk tells a story about her husband, a man who could transform into a bear.

Although Harry cannot...more
Kathleen
I won this book from READ IT FORWARD. I was really looking forward to reading this book. I am a sucker for covers, and I think this one is excellent. The cover turns out to be perfect for the book. I liked the premise of a dead man trying to fiqure out who killed him.
I would put this book on the unique shelf. It is a dark comedy that is well written with strange stories.
The setting of the book takes place in Jack's bathroom. Jack had been hit over the head and is dead. The author had seven diff...more
Doug
Literary
This was one of those books that makes you go, "hmm."

There's the main character, Jack, who finds himself the object of several murder attempts by women he swears he's never seen before. The attempts are thwarted by an old man who looks just like his dead father. Oh, and did I mention that this is all taking place inside the bathroom in Jack's house? Eventually there are seven women, plus Jack, plus the dead-daddy lookalike, plus a baby that grows way too quickly, all crowded in there. Each woman...more
Therese
I approached this book preparing to be irritated and give up on it. The description of the book sounds absurdist and Absurdism has to be done jusssttt right to not be really irritating to me. I do not think Waiting for Godot is funny.In fact Samuel Beckett can just go pound salt in general. Bleah. (But, the author of THIS book liked him, and I can almost understand why).

This was done just right.

It was funny and ethereal, all characters except one are perfectly cozy, happy and friendly (after th...more
1000 +
My Blurb:

Jack awakens in the middle of the night to find himself face down on the bathroom floor with a hole in his head and he is not alone. One by one guests appear with weapons that might be the cause of the hole in Jacks head and one by one they share their tragic life stories faulting Jack as the one for their misfortune.

Is this all a dream or reality?

Lets Talk About It:

What a fantastic read!

This book was much like a who done it murder mystery dinner served up in the format of a book. What...more
Sally
Centuries of June by Keith Donohue

It sorely grieved me to put this book down after turning the last page. It is as captivating and enthralling as Keith Donohue’s first book, The Stolen Child. Donohue is a master storyteller, and he proves it yet again in this latest book. His talent is evident through his use of language, weaving a tale that keeps the reader spellbound.
Centuries of June begins in the narrator’s bathroom, which is the main stage for the central plot and all the subplots. His us...more
Anne
I listened to Centuries of June by Keith Donahue, and it has risen to one of my favorite books of the year. The reader, Mark Bramhall's ability to create individual voices for each character is remarkable. Listening to this made my long drive to and from work almost enjoyable, and I couldn't wait to resume listening to this darkly funny tale.

"Set in the bathroom of an old house just before dawn on a night in June, Centuries of June is a black comedy about a man who is attempting to tell the stor...more
Gladys McGuillicutty
A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by Crown Publishers to review Centuries of June by Keith Donohue. Although Mr. Donohue has published two other novels, The Stolen Child and Angels of Destruction, I was not familiar with him. I am always thrilled and excited to read new authors so I readily accepted.
It is difficult in this age of instant gratification and self publishing to find original and intriguing stories. You know how it is you pick up a book and start reading an instantly know you ha...more
Corny
This is a remarkable novel from a real talent. At first, I was confused and frustrated by the beginning, almost to the point of being ready to put the book down. However, from the first woman's story right to the end, I was entranced by the language, by the quality of the stories, and by interplay between the protagonist and these seemingly unrelated group of characters in, of all places, a bathroom. As more of the plot is revealed, we begin to understand gradually what is going on in the bathro...more
Erin
A man gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom but falls and hits his head. As he tries to figure out what happened, he is interrupted by seven different women from different centuries, all with a story to tell -- and all with murder in their hearts. I am often impatient with the story-within-a-story structure (think of I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb) but in this case, the stories were so well-written and the characters so engaging that I found myself looking forward to t...more
  • Someday This Will Be Funny
  • Even The Stars Look Lonesome
  • In Free Fall
  • The Gardens Of Kyoto
  • The Singer's Gun
Keith Donohue is an American novelist. His acclaimed 2006 novel The Stolen Child, about a changeling, was inspired by the Yeats poem of the same name. His second novel, Angels of Destruction, was published in March 2009.

Born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, he earned his B.A. and M.A. from Duquesne University and his Ph.D. in English from The Catholic University of America.

Currently he is D...more
More about Keith Donohue...
The Stolen Child Angels of Destruction The Boy Who Drew Monsters Tiny Gems: Irish Stories That Sparkle And Charm Writing America

“The bed in which we spend a third of our lives functions as a kind of protective haven for the true self, the subconscious refuge from the assault of the external world. The bed becomes the restorative womb, where the imagination is nurtured while our resting bodies are safe.” 3 likes