Start by marking “What's Eating You?: People and Parasites” as Want to Read:
What's Eating You?: People and Parasites

What's Eating You?: People and Parasites

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In "What's Eating You?" Eugene Kaplan recounts the true and harrowing tales of his adventures with parasites, and in the process introduces readers to the intimately interwoven lives of host and parasite.

Kaplan has spent his life traveling the globe exploring oceans and jungles, and incidentally acquiring parasites in his gut. Here, he leads readers on an unforgettable jou
Published March 15th 2010 by Princeton University Press

To ask other readers questions about What's Eating You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Eating You?

Jaimie
I knew I would find this book interesting, but I was surprised by how much I really enjoyed it. Somehow, Kaplan manages to make the subject of parasites living in humans not just frightening (though, at times, it was unavoidable) but simply engrossing. And that is coming from a non-biologist that has had nothing to do with the sciences since high school!

I think a good part of the reason I enjoyed it so much was the author's take on the subject. He reminds me of nothing more than a six year old b
Crystal
This book was fascinating and disgusting all rolled into one. This book will make a person believe they've dodged a bullet every time they encounter a human being or animal and walk away without a parasite.
Patricia
Entertaining Book on an Interesting Subject.
Dr. Kaplan does an excellent job of communicating his passion for this subject. You can tell he just loves talking about parasites. Though he is obviously trying to write a book to make the reader smile and even laugh, he doesn't skimp on hard information. This book made me shudder, cringe, and occasionally laugh out loud at some of the anecdotes related by Professor Kaplan. The book gave a good overview of the kinds of parasites that are out there re
Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else]
You had me at "sea cucumbers with teeth in their anuses". Count me in!
Trena
Parasites are gross and can do some gross sh!t to you. I didn't know elephantiasis was caused by a parasite. Some worms burrow into your muscles, make more worms, they burrow, and before you know it your limb is grotesquely and irreversibly enlarged and deformed because there are so many parasitic worms inside your muscles. And let's not talk about how much feces is involved in the spreading of parasites.

Parasites are pretty interesting and surprisingly complicated. Almost all of them go through
Kater Cheek
For some reason, I thought this book would be funnier. Why would a book about parasites be funny? Maybe because I associate parasites with travel horror stories, and travel horror stories are almost always hilarious. It does manage to be funny at parts, but mostly it's gross.

I always prefer non fiction books in which the author is presenting his or her own original work, rather than material gleaned from other books I've probably already read. This feels like a memoir of sorts, a collection of i
Ben
It was educational, a blend of entertaining humor and revulsion without being crass. This is the high quality read I was looking for in The Wild Life of Our Bodies.

Here's what I said about the book on facebook: I've been reading "What's Eating You", about parasitology, great thought-provoking book, but scary as hell, and this popped into my head:

The word "faith" is an odd-shaped umbrella, lumping together some pretty distinct phenomena. This is my kind of faith, faith that people can accomplish
Nancy
I actually listened to the audiobook version but I have ordered the hardcover from the library because I understand from reviews that the pictures are worth looking at. I enjoyed listening to this grisly account of the many human parasites out there in the wide world. It makes me glad that I'm not much of a world traveler and that I am fortunate enough to live in a fairly sanitary country.

I enjoy reading science material especially biology, and the author made his beloved topic entertaining and
Christopher Bond
I liked how the author intertwines personal experiences, student stories and testimony while detailing the scientific aspects of many of our parasites. This is a great primer and a easy read for those interested in parasites, their origin and how these "critters" reproduce and infest us and other mammals. While I enjoyed the book, there seemed to be a limitation on transitioning from one story and/or parasite to another.
Adam
Interesting, but whenever it started to get really interesting and involved - the chapter would end and it was on to a new parasite. I constantly wanted more. Perhaps it was perfect for the target audience - not very technical, but I really wanted all the gritty details and I found I wanted more after each and every chapter. Still, it presented many interesting parasites and a worth while browse for sure.
Chad
Interesting in parts, but read like an encyclopedia. Would be better with more stories.
Melissa
It's a very relaxed,educational,read that lightly opened up the door to the world of parasitology. It's not void of Latin taxonomy but it doesn't interfere with the comprehension of the book. Eugene Kaplan was funny and did a wonderful job describing the subject. I really enjoyed reading the book considering the subject at hand.
Atila Iamarino
Boa mistura de biologia com histórias interessantes. Vários exemplos de parasitas estranhos e relatos de primeira mão de alguém que trabalhou com isso por anos. Teria achado melhor ainda se não tivesse ouvido sobre muitos dos exemplos no This Week in Parasitology.
Stacy
Interesting and accessible, covers a wide range of parasites which can infect humans, along with some related discussion of ecosystems in general. The anecdote-centric approach keeps it engaging for casual readers, although it doesn't skimp on the science either.
Andy
A decent book on parasites with decidedly first-person experiences. A bit light - I would have liked more detail. Still an enjoyable read.
Craig
An interesting and amusing look at the many "bugs" floating around which can afflict of if we're not careful.
Laurie
More about parasites than you'd ever want to know, told in a funny, friendly blend of stories and academic information.
Bart Hoag
Another great book about people and parasites, see "Parasite Rex". Very readable but not dumbed down.
Sandie Elsom

Entertaining and educational. I read this book with a constant look of "yech" on my face.
Gina
Jul 12, 2010 Gina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I don't know that I'll ever return to this one. It is absolutely disgusting reading. Blech!
Dylan Benito
Very informative, great illustrations, but the pace of the book was weird. Three stars it is.
red_molly
It was a bit dry in some places, but I really did enjoy reading it
Farren
Farren marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Luis Brudna
Luis Brudna marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Enrique Miranda
Enrique Miranda marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Yesica
Yesica marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sensuous Seas: Tales of a Marine Biologist A Field Guide to Coral Reefs: Caribbean and Florida Peterson Field Guide (R) to Coral Reefs of the Caribbean & Florida Southeastern & Caribbean Seashores Coral Reefs of the Caribbean and Florida: A Guide to the Common Invertebrates and