Start by marking “Classe Nimitz” as Want to Read:
Classe Nimitz

Classe Nimitz (Admiral Arnold Morgan #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  4,795 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Una portaerei classe Nimitz: la Jefferson. Imprendibile con un attacco aereo,inavvicinabile dal mare, inaffondabile da qualsiasi tipo di arma convenzionale, circondata da un muro di aerei da intercettazione, muniti di missili e di un potentissimo sistema radar. In una parola: inespugnabile. Ma il 2 luglio 2002 accade l'incredibile: la Jefferson scompare, colpita da un miss ...more
Published January 15th 2000 by Tea (first published January 16th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Classe Nimitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classe Nimitz

David
Feb 22, 2009 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Nimitz Class has a decent plot, a lot of interesting technical information about submarines, carrier fleets, and Naval operations. ON the surface this book had the potential of being a Tom Clancy class Naval thriller. However, the author dropped the ball by rushing his story telling.

One would think that a terrorist/spy/mole could be found simply by going to a naval base in Scotland and examining the records of all who had passed through their special submarine school. The author rushes the tale
E. P.
May 22, 2016 E. P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The shooter, his eyes glued on the cockpit, saluted, bending his knees and touching two fingers of his left hand onto the deck. Skip Martin gestured: "Forward." A crewman, kneeling in the catwalk narrowly to the left of the big fighter jet, hit the button on catapult three, and ducked as the outrageous mechanism hurled the Hornet on its way, screaming down the deck, its engines burning flat out, leaving an atomic blast of air in its wake. Everyone watched, even veterans almost holding their bre ...more
Jerry
Oct 03, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, 2012

An interesting and technically accurate read that, while it held my attention, came across as rather flat and one-dimensional. Not the edge of my seat, nail biting, cat-mouse suspenseful Naval drama I was hoping for. This was not the US Navy in action. Instead we have a LCDR, and a couple US and British Admirals who are able to figure everything out effortlessly and come up with everything with a brief time out for the Seals to retaliate against the wrong country. Not much drama here.
Andreas
Oct 07, 2011 Andreas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Patrick Robinson’s debut is a passable technothriller about a Nimitz class carrier getting destroyed. While it has many Clancy-like traits, it fails when it moves out of the military and into the political and administrative arenas. Cool submarine stuff though.

Luisa
Feb 11, 2017 Luisa rated it liked it
Libro consigliatomi da un appassionato di navi, sottomarini... nonchè ingegnere navale. Ero curiosa di conoscere tale ambito, quindi ho deciso di leggere il primo di una lunga serie di libri di Patrick Robinson.
Devo dire che, nonostante non sia proprio il mio genere, mi è piaciuto... i discorsi tra i vari personaggi all'interno del romanzo scorrono bene, non sono complicati da capire(per chi non è un'appassionata come me); l'unica cosa è che ci sono parti più specifiche, ovviamente, su come funz
John Withers
I rated this book with three stars. Not that it was the best written book of its genre I've ever read, but because it show promise for the other books in the series. I found some of the writing redundant and overly detailed, so much so that it detracted from the plot
Rob Trans
Nimitz Class - This book is a mixed bag. The author is at his best when describing the Navy and naval actions. The book is awkward when he is trying to, what I believe to be, humanizing the characters. There is a lot of material in the book that could have been edited out without damaging the main plot. It might even have built suspense.

The first 5th is a somewhat tedious intro to numerous characters and carrier battle group procedures and lingo. Many of these characters do not survive the firs
Neil
Even with a third reading, the book moved at a good pace. The characters and character development were believable, as were the various levels of relationships; the characters and emotions were relatable. I thought the author did a great job with this novel.

This novel involves an unthinkable scenario - a diesel-powered submarine manages to infiltrate a Carrier Battle Group's various screens and manages to sink a Nimitz-class carrier [previously believed to have been impregnable], followed by the
Michal Angelo
Jan 11, 2017 Michal Angelo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: would-recommend
* I actually set aside my trek thru Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series to entertain this volume after it had been teasing me from the shelf for almost a year.
* If you like espionage thrillers but are a little worn out by the lengthy Clancy types (my opinion only) then you will thoroughly enjoy Robinson.
* Admiral Sandy Woodward puts it best: "And in its' pages [the book] also raises the question of how, in a turbulent and dangerous world, we make our resolution plain, without excessive cost in bot
Richard
Dec 13, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first of many Arnold Morgan books. The plot was very real, and frightening. The character development was easy to follow and assimilate. I couldn't top reading into the wee hours of the night. If you enjoy cutting edge Techno Thrillers, this a a book for you. But if you're a bleeding heart Liberal, who is always P.C. stay away.
Anthony
Nov 13, 2011 Anthony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2013reads
If you are looking for a naval thriller in the same theme as Clancy or Larry Bond then I highly recommend this book. If you are expecting character development that is believable then look to the previous mentioned authors (in Clancy's case his earlier books). Set in current times you are given a ride on a nuclear carrier battle group operating in tenacious waters. The Thomas Jefferson is America's newest technologically advanced aircraft carrier and it's mission is to keep the Persian Gulf and ...more
David
Jul 09, 2015 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often give up on a novel I've started, but after 125 pages I set this one down and opted to read something else. Nimitz Class has a decent premise for a thriller (the unexpected destruction of an aircraft carrier in a nuclear explosion), but eventually I got the sense that its true aim is to proclaim that the American battle group (i.e., an aircraft carrier and accompanying vessels) is, by threat of violence, the single greatest force for peace in the world. One way to make that claim w ...more
Paul
Jun 15, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A good and suspenseful story that kept me reading and wanting more The storyline is believable, the characters are well-drawn, descriptions are detailed without being intrusive into the story, and the author has clearly done his homework in technical aspects of the story.
The only two things marring the book are its gratuitous and inaccurate right-wing political remarks and the laughable notion that $5 million could be fit into a suitcase. The idea that a million dollars could be fit into a suitc
Carnivorous Mower
Well, this took a shitload longer to read than it should have. While the plot was just as fantastical and huge and messy and destructive as his other books, I think this was his first. As a result, the book got too bogged down in technical detail, and the action didn’t flow. There were the big explosive set-pieces like the nuclear attack on the aircraft carrier, and the destruction of the Iranian subs in port, but the bits in between were a bit too drawn out. Most of the characters were like car ...more
David Rubin
Lots of "technico" in the first book of this military thriller series. But, the book lacks character development; the good guys are all the greatest and smartest of their type and are completely flawless. With such great personalities, potentials, educations, and intellects one can only wonder why they all end up in the military and are not running some super-profitable hedge-fund.

Not every author can be a John le Carre, but a little more humanity would go a long way toward making the character
P
Sep 03, 2013 P rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this on audio book several years ago. As a Tom Clancy fan, I thought it would be similar to his writing--nope! Starts off strong, but Robinson moves the story too quickly. Just like the movies "Independence Day," "Sum of All Fears" and others, the plot includes events with massive casualties and there is no discussion of even the public's reaction. "Well, 5000 naval personnel have just been wiped out...let's carry on with our work..." Written four years before 9/11.

Suddenly, we know
Maria
Jul 31, 2008 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in military topics
Recommended to Maria by: It was on the new book shelf
Since I know very little about submarines, but have toured two in port at a Navy base, I found the book very interesting. The title implies it is about aircraft carriers, but I learned little about aircraft carriers. I learned more when I was aboard one in port. The story was exciting and made me want to learn more (nonfiction) about submarines and the kind of people who are able to work on them. I also wondered if such an event (that the book is based on) and series of events could actually hap ...more
Kevin
Jul 02, 2013 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book began well, with a good mix of mystery and techno-thriller. Then, the author immediately reveals who sank the carrier, and the rest of the book becomes a poorly written chase sequence around the world. To top it all off, the identity of the culprit was just about as unrealistic as you can get. According to this book, a fifth-rate power with no submarine experience and no nuclear capability somehow managed to use both to sink a carrier.

In conclusion, read it if you are really bored or at
Francesco
Come thriller è davvero molto bello, solo alcune piccole sbavature in un paio di dettagli.
In particolare, come l'inizio è adrenalinico, così il finale è loffio e banale; lo stesso si può dire dell'attraversamento del Bosforo in immersione, che per quanto presenti due "pericoli" li rende troppo rapidamente e con poco coinvolgimento da parte del lettore.
Per il resto la spy-story ideata è geniale e convincente, e tiene la lettura tesa per tutta la narrazione, con pause rilassate nei punti giusti p
Mark P
Jan 23, 2016 Mark P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked setting into the minds of various characters at the same time

The story is laid out in such a way that you feel like a fly on the wall listening to the inner voices of various characters at the same time. Anyone who likes a suspense with a military twist still enjoy this book.
The only downside is that it hops all around the world giving you only latitude and longitude. However if you have google maps handy, you'll be fine.
Dan Smith
Jul 30, 2014 Dan Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remember Lone Survivor? this was the writer that helped Marcus Lutrell tell that true story of his survival.

this is the story of the search for the person responsible for the destruction of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier.. A rogue middle easterner has infiltrated the Israelly Navy for years and "buys" the russian sub used.. It is up to the Americans to find the sub and destroy it.

Outstanding story. Patrick Robinson has hit a home run on everything I have read thus far..
Melissa-Lee
Jul 06, 2016 Melissa-Lee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No-one
Shelves: disposed-of
Any book that includes a cast of characters at the start, unless it is based on history, you know is going to be hard work. The story gets bogged down introducing the characters and explaining inconsequential things rather than focusing on the story. I also found it interesting that when women had been serving at sea as pilots and crew since the 90's, there were no female "cast members" anywhere other than as family members of those serving at sea.
Lis
Jan 03, 2016 Lis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-books
Un discreto "tecnothriller" militare ambientato nel mondo della marina, tra portaerei e sottomarini.
In certi punti, in particolare nel finale, risulta un po' troppo veloce nella narrazione. Un buon libro "alla Clancy", senza però la stessa complessità e completezza, lo stesso livello di dettaglio e la stessa tensione.
Les Wolf
Sep 08, 2015 Les Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a few things about international dealings, Naval tactics and submarines from P. Robinson. In terms of nail-biting excitement, this book isn't at the top of my list although it is very good. Patrick is not a master of suspense in the manner of say, Erik Larsen, but his descriptive ability is exceptional and manages to bring about the 'suspension of disbelief'.
Dimitrios
Although I 3 star rated it, I will include it in my best techno thriller shelve because the author knows his tech.

Even if he lost control of the plot and made a few "convenient" intelligence-appears-as-if-buy-magic jumps, I liked it and I loved the main character.

I recommend it for what it is...a very enjoyable read if you want to suspend disbelief.
Gerald Simpkins
Apr 27, 2013 Gerald Simpkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-reading
I was very pleased with Nimitz Class. Other than being overly detailed at times regarding multiple mentions of various street names that wasn't necessary to move the story along, I found it engaging and my interest never faltered. I would recommend it to a broad readership, and the whole scenario was quite believable and exciting.
Santosh Kumar
Jan 25, 2016 Santosh Kumar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was my second book of Patrick Robinson (the first being "Kilo Class". this book is a thrilling page turner from begining till the end of page (literally till last page). thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. its an absolute stunner of a book :)). looking forward to read "Baracuda 965" by the same author and get the same thrilling experience.
Joseph
Jan 10, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is about an aircraft carrier that got torpedoed by a "rented" Russian submarine and what the government and the Navy did to find them and get some payback. A little outdated and just a bit over the top but that's why they cal it fiction. this is the first in a series and I will be reading the next one in the future.
Brian Croup
Sep 30, 2009 Brian Croup rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
not much depth. sorry i started it but I'll stick with it.

Ok. Finished. And it was painful. Felt like a 1940's WWII propaganda movie. The good guys are all VERY VERY GOOD and the bad guys are all very dumb (expect for the evil ring leader who's smart but just not smart enough). If you're a 10 year old boy you may like this. Otherwise, pass.
kranthi balusu
Jun 21, 2014 kranthi balusu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible book, especially if you have read Alistair MAcLean or Tom Clancy. Plot offers very little. Written by a Tea party fanatic. Very insulting to other nationalities. Very little understanding of world politics or democracy. Has a soft corner for Aristocracy. "good breeding". Nevertheless gives a few insights into command structures and modern militaries.
  • Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan, #12)
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
  • Fortunes of War
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...

Admiral Arnold Morgan (10 books)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)