Start by marking “Spin a Wicked Web” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Spin a Wicked Web

Cricket McRae

Spin a Wicked Web (Home Crafting Mystery #3)

Things are getting serious between Sophie Mae and Detective Ambrose. But Sophie Mae has a new love in her life—spinning. Pursuing her newfound passion is great fun . . . until her fellow co-op member, Ariel, is found strangled to death with Sophie Mae's very first skein of yarn.

Young and pretty, Ariel used her feminine charms and sexual magnetism to lure married men. Was t
Published June 1st 2009 by Midnight Ink (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Spin a Wicked Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spin a Wicked Web

Coco
Aug 27, 2011 Coco rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is the third installment of Cricket McRae's Home Crafting Mystery series. As with the first two, I found it a quick and entertaining read. As a side note, this book is notable in that I believe it is the first book I've read in which someone "googles" something. Ha!

The tone of this book was fun: Sophie Mae is finding her voice, and it's rather snarky. She has a great blend of confidence and sarcasm, but served with a great heaping dose of self-deprecation.

My one complaint would be that I
Spuddie
Mar 31, 2015 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a cozy mystery. And I like it. That makes it something wonderful and unique. Trust me on this. If you knew the number of cozy series I'd tried to read and ended up throwing across the room at the wall....you would understand how tickled I am to find one I like. I mean...sometimes it's just nice to have something quiet to read at bedtime where people aren't getting eviscerated and stuff, you know?

I started the series a couple of years ago when I was doing a book challenge where one of the ca
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Ms. McRae has an ability to make me want to begin the craft being showcased in each novel in her Home Crafting mystery series. So, now I want to learn spinning wool.

Sophie Mae and Detective Barr Ambrose have some serious changes coming in their relationship. However, before we, the readers, can settle in on page one, sirens and flashing blue lights storm past their vehicle and change their plans and attitudes.

As Barr does a complete turn about and asks Sophie Mae to gossip about the woman she fo
Erika
Jan 17, 2016 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A very enjoyable installment in this series. Again the murder and plot made sense and Sophie Mae's involvement in the investigation once again did not feel like a glaring plot hole you have to ignore to be able to read the book. I also really enjoyed the secondary plots character interactions outside of the mystery and I'm finding myself very engaged in their lives.

I also found myself really enjoying her descriptions of the people, places and crafts more than before, I've enjoyed this aspect in
Jean
Aug 23, 2011 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third in the series of her Home Crafting Mysteries - Cricket McRae gives us another fun and witty mystery to figure out. Sophie Mae cannot, it seems, keep out of the way of the murders that happen in her small town in Washington, while she tries keeping her personal life and business in order.
Last mystery I actually figured it out before the last page; this time it took me by surprise - I love that in a mystery, don't you? I am moving on to #4 in the series, Something Borrowed, Something Bleu. I
Susan
Soapmaker Sophie Mae has joined a crafters' group, but when she finds the dead body of one of the artists, Ariel, she fears she's in over her head. She promises herself and her house mate that she will not interfere, but circumstances seem to keep drawing her into the puzzle, especially since her friends in the craft co-op are among the main suspects. But Sophie Mae has more problems on her hand when her policeman-boyfriend's ex-wife, a woman who looks much like Sophie Mae herself, shows up and ...more
Carol
Feb 15, 2009 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
Honestly, the thing I liked best about this book was the crafting content - mainly spinning and soapmaking. I didn't especially like the main character, Sophie Mae. There were times when I just wanted to slap some sense into her! Why do so many cozies have sleuths that rush off to confront murder suspects in secluded places, without even letting someone know where they're going, without taking a charged cell phone...? It helps the story move along, I guess, but I have trouble relating to charact ...more
Shirley Worley
Feb 17, 2014 Shirley Worley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spin a Wicked Web is the third book in the series by McRae. I thought it was a light and easy read and the plot had me guessing until the very end. The characters have grown on me, although I wish Sophie Mae would think before she speaks when she questions suspects. But that's seems to be part of her nosy personality and Barr seems to accept her as she is. Ahh, true love. Enjoyed learning a bit about the soap making and yarn spinning crafts.
Nicky
Dec 11, 2012 Nicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I love it when a mystery can keep me guessing til the end. I completely enjoy this series. I have to admit though, I'm starting to not like Megan very much. She's so motherly to Sophie Mae, and is coming off like a know-it-all. She's really the only character that I don't care for. Can't wait to get started on the next book.
Gizzard
Mar 22, 2013 Gizzard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 32013, 32013-owned
Ok cozy mystery. Some of this one was silly, but overall it was ok. These are easy entertainment, good for a couple bucks. But like many by this publisher, if you want a few more, the 10 price tag is mind boggling. If a book is short and formulaic, and often mediocre in the writing, then they shouldn't cost more than a series romance.
Amanda
Jul 14, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid fun. I think part of the appeal for me about this series is the setting in the Seattle area - it's fun that I recognize many of the places where the action occurs. Tho I did want to smack Sophie Mae a couple times for going off on a tangent and shooting off her mouth without thinking first, but I guess that's part of the impulsiveness of her character. Overall, an enjoyble book.
Chris
Jan 11, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, done, mystery, not-mine
"I couldn't resist the cover when I saw this book at the library, and I'm glad I didn't! Spin a Wicked Web was a well-written and enjoyable read; it managed to avoid the cloying sweetness that too many craft-related books contain. I plan to read the other books in this series - and I wish I'd read the others first, as this turns out to be the third book."
Moondance
I really enjoy this series. Sophie Mae is learning to spin and has joined a group of artists in a co-op. Her first skein of yarn ends up as a murder weapon. Barr's past is coming back to haunt him and Sophie Mae. Good characters and a very nice cozy. 3.5 stara
Emma
Jan 21, 2013 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, no.4 has been ordered! McRae strikes the right balance of humour and information about the crafts and gardening. I can't wait to find out what happens next with Sophie-Mae and Barr.
Ambra
Nov 15, 2011 Ambra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are a fun, quick, murder mystery series and I like the references to crafting and cooking. Moving right on to #4.
Brooks Jones
Jul 06, 2012 Brooks Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid offering in the Home Crafting cozy mystery series. I am really enjoying reading about the characters in Cadyville.
Michelle
Jul 05, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really easy read, murder mystery. Part three in a series and part of the series discusses crafts (such as spinning, sewing.) I really liked it and would read another.
Katie Kent
It was enjoyable due to the local scenery/streets and spinning/knitting references, but... Well, I think I've grown out of murder mysteries.
Sandy  Kemp
Very unbelievable, but I enjoyed the spinning aspect.
Sheila
Apr 21, 2009 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful quick read. The author will be speaking at our library and I wanted to read a couple of her books.
Jill
Jun 17, 2013 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy
Fun, quick read.
Amanda
Apr 28, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one even more than the last one. The characters are developing more depth and love all the crafty bits!
Lisa Bork
Nov 04, 2009 Lisa Bork rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Sophie Mae finds her fellow craft co-op member strangled on the co-op floor and her detective boyfriend enlists her help to ferret out gossip that might help his department solve the case.
Sep 06, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I picked this up at the library and found it disappointingly bland. Standard murder mystery in what could have been a great setting, if it had been better fleshed out.
ChrisGA
Aug 24, 2013 ChrisGA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cozy mystery with Sophie Mae joining an art co-op and learning to spin. Lots of suspects and motives. Good mystery
Penelope
Aug 18, 2015 Penelope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sophie-mae
This was my favorite of the first three. Love Cricket McRae!
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
I gobbled this one up. I love this series so far.
Kari
Mar 27, 2012 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cricket has done it again! Another great book for a lazy rainy day. The characters and plot kept me reading all afternoon. Keep up the great writing.
Julia
May 20, 2013 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable cozy series!
Lynne
Apr 01, 2015 Lynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
So-so. The 'heroine' of the tale leaps to such swift conclusions that I started to hope another character would just knock her on the head.
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • Bad Bird
  • Berried to the Hilt (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #4)
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Reel Murder (Talk Radio Mystery #2)
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #4)
  • Love is Murder (Daytime Mystery, #1)
  • By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery, #3)
  • Daughter of Deceit (Family Tree, #3)
  • Bride and Doom (Carnegie Kincaid, #6)
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
Cricket McRae enjoys home crafts like food preservation, cheese making, candle making, and fiber arts. She writes the Sophie Mae Reynolds Homecrafting Mystery Series. As Bailey Cates, she also writes the Magical Bakery Mysteries.

For two years Cricket managed her own soap making business, including all product design, manufacturing and marketing. The recipes included in her first book, Lye in Wait,
More about Cricket McRae...

Home Crafting Mystery (6 books)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • Heaven Preserve Us (Home Crafting Mystery, #2)
  • Something Borrowed, Something Bleu (Home Crafting Mystery, #4)
  • Wined and Died (Home Crafting Mystery, #5)
  • Deadly Row to Hoe (Home Crafting Mystery #6)