Start by marking “Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)

Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker 0.5)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  1,815 ratings  ·  140 reviews
Delve deeper into the world of the fae with a Faeriewalker bonus story.

Having a prodigy for an older brother is not so fun…especially one who is magic wiz-kid. But Kimber has a plan to finally step out of his shadow.
Published December 17th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Remedial Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remedial Magic

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
80th out of 515 books — 1,011 voters
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickThe Iron King by Julie KagawaMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsFirelight by Sophie Jordan
Published in 2010
29th out of 149 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

E.V.Franzmnn E.V.Franzmnn
Not what I've expected

This is a short story. More like a pre-series that is tell by Ethan's little sister,, ops,, I mean,, Kimber.
Yep,, Ethan is the wonder boy of the family with his magic and charm,, Kimber is just the brains.
It has fairies in it, but also the best teddy bear fight scene ever.
Really funny and terrifying at the same time.
And ,, there is Ethan
Sorry Kimber, but I just got goo-goo eyes for your brother,, its not my fault he is ,, well,, Ethan

Well,, lets see what the next book'll
Alex Bennett
Being a big fan of the Faeriewalker series, I was anxious and excited when I discovered Remedial Magic. I quickly got it and read it in one sitting, which is easy since it is only a few pages long. But that’s what a short story is, right!

I enjoyed having new insight into Kimber’s character. I enjoyed feeling her emotions towards herself and her brother. It was a nice break from the nonstop action we are used to in the Faeriewalker world.

After a moment, I was shot back into the Faeriewalker worl
Crystal Starr Light
Gives a whole new light on the "Teddy Bear Picnic"

For those that have read Jenna Black's Glimmerglass, you will recognize our first person protagonist this time around as Kimber, Ethan's little sister. Kimber is 15 years old, very smart (already in college), and desperately wanting her father's attention, but her father values magical talents (such as the ones Ethan can wield with ease) over her mental abilities. So she invites her friend Dee Dee over to try to help Kimber with magic. Things qui
Mirely
This was a kindle freebie and so I said why not! This is a prequel to Glimmer Glass

It was a short story where we meet Kimber a very smart teen who has skipped a few grades and is now in college. Apparently she is over shadowed by her not as smart yet very magically talented brother Ethan. She asks one of her friends to come over and give her magical tutorials but it kind of turns into a hot mess.

Along with the short story you get chapter 1 of Glimmer Glass where we are introduced to Dana and he
AH
This is a 14 page prequel to Glimmerglass. Not much happens during this short except some magic gets shorted out producing the attack of the killer teddy bears. Teddy Bear attack is averted when the ever gorgeous Ethan comes around.

That's it, that's all. Lucky it was a free download.

Also included are the prologue and first Chapter of Glimmerglass.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
A short story prequel involving a spell that goes awry turning teddy bears into bloodthirsty killers. Not much to it really but figured I'd warm up to Kimber in the book although when I tried to read the prologue and first chapter of Glimmerglass that was included I didn't get very far. It's based on an entirely different and unrelated protagonist with a dysfunctional mother. I have no interest in reading that whatsoever.
Larissa
As a teen genius who has skipped grades ahead to become a college student while her older and magically talented brother is still stuck in high school, Kimba may in any normal family be considered the favoured child. But Kimba is a faerie and her family is not normal. Kimba has always lived in the shadow of her scarily talented older brother Ethan and despite her impressively high academic scores she is seen as the family embarrassment due to her lack of magical abilities. However Kimba is deter ...more
Rachel
Remedial Magic was so much fun. It is a brief story about Kimber’s attempt to practice magic. It can be read without reading Glimmerglass, the first book in the Faeriewalker series, but it is better read after just to get the full context. All readers need to know is that Kimber and Ethan are siblings, both Fae, who live in Avalon.

The story gives you a bit more insight into Kimber, which explains a lot about her personality when we meet her in Glimmerglass.

This story also makes her much more lik
Ashley
So, this was free on B&N's store and I'd already seen the first book so I decided to go ahead and read this one to decide for sure if I wanted to read Glimmerglass. SOLD! I love that Kimber is trying to improve herself and will work to do it right from the beginning! No fake "fast-track" help for her. Kimber starts out with a depth not usually seen in 15 year olds, an understanding about not only her family but of how other people work. Fantastic--I've already purchased Glimmerglass! :)

Remed
Anila
An interesting story from the perspective of my favorite Faeriewalker character, Kimber. I wouldn't have read it, though, if I hadn't downloaded iBooks (love this app, for serious) on my brand spankin' new iPod Touch and found this as a freebie. I do so love freebies.

This story doesn't really distinguish itself much, other than in illustrating that Kimber is great, but there is one thing I marked with that snazzy little bookmarky thingy:

"This was what I called the Ethan Effect, when perfectly se
Tiff
I know this was supposed to be a short story, but I guess I just wasn't expecting it to be quite so short for some reason. Oh well! It was a well written addition to the series, and a nice glimpse into the relationship between Kimber and Ethan. It's not really a necessity in the series as far as storyline goes but I'd definitely recommend it to a fan.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Super short (less than twenty pages) hence only three stars. Nicely enough, it featured my favorite Fae from Glimmerglass, Kimber, as a younger version of herself and struggling with basic magic skills. A fun, free ebook that is read in ten minutes, easily.
More of my reviews here: http://bibliophileanonymous.blogspot....
Céline :)
awww poor Kimber :'(
I liked how this book was from Kimber's perspective. It gave her character more depth.
I like mini stories like this. Quick and easy :)
Cathy  Keaton
I immediately took a liking to this short story. It's told from the POV of a fifteen-year-old girl named Kimber, who is a wise-cracking genius college student (already). She is a faerie, but is sorely lacking in the magical abilities department, so this is a source of pain and embarrassment for her. To make matters worse, her older brother of two years, named Ethan, is a phenomenally gifted faerie and attracts plenty of female admires, much to Kimber's chagrin. Well, he steals all her friends aw ...more
Megan Marie
Andrea Arana
Remedial Magic was the shortest and the most explanatory book about two of the characters i've ever read in my entire life. it talks about how Kimber and Ethan are really about as brother and sister, but also as two different individuals with different political and moral views of their world and how they interpret it as well. Kimber is being compared to her brother just for being the magic prodigy. In Avalon, where the Faeriewalker series and this book takes place, we see Kimber being "magicall ...more
Amber
Dec 31, 2010 Amber rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the Faeriewalker series!
Remedial Magic is a little novella and a fun, quick read to tide lovers of the Faeriewalker series over until Shadowspell is released on 4 January 2010 and Sirensong next summer. It is a bonus story and is available for free on Amazon, so if you are a fan, I suggest you go get it now!

Although, it is advertised as Faeriewalker #1.5, this short story takes place before Glimmerglass protagonist Dana Hathaway/Stuart shows up in Avalon. Instead, it is told from Kimber’s point of view in the third per
Lothfleur
Kimber est une fée, elle vit en Avalon, terre entre le monde des fées, Faerie, et celui des humains. Elle y vit avec un père accro au boulot, sa mère est partie vivre dans Faerie quand elle avait 10 ans, et avec un frère dont elle est plus jeune de deux ou trois ans mais elle est déjà l'université quand lui est encore au lycée sauf que tous les yeux sont tournées vers son frère qui a un don phénoménal pour la magie alors elle décide d'améliorer sa piètre maîtrise de la magie... ce qui finit en u ...more
Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom)
This short online novella gives us a little glimpse into Kimber's backstory. We already know from Glimmerglass (and Shadowspell) that she harbours a bit of resentment towards Ethan for his magical gifts where she has very little. Even though she is academically a genious, it's Ethan who receives the majority of their father's attention. So in an effort to hone what little she has in the way of magic, Kimber invites her new college friend, Dee Dee, who is also magically gifted, to help her. But t ...more
Kathryn (Beastie Books)
This is a prequel e-novella to Glimmerglass, and a novella it was. It was actually more of a short story. On my nook it was only about 14 pages long, but I feel the need to review it anyway.

Even though it was short Remedial Magic really shed some light on what it's like to be Kimber. The reader realizes that even though Kimber's very smart it doesn't compare to her brother's magical ability, and not only does this cause her to lose the attention and affection of her family, but also her friends
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I loved Jenna Black's debut YA novel, Glimmerglass, so I jumped at the chance to receive this short story, Remedial Magic, for free via Amazon.

It was short like I said, but it dealt with Ethan and his sister, Kimber. Since it's been several months since I last read Glimmerglass, it took me awhile to remember the characters. But as it was short, I didn't stay too long in this world.

It basically deals with Kimber trying to learn magic. Or more magic. Whichever, and it results in quite a surprise.
Holly
I just finished Glimmerglass today, so I was already acquainted with Kimber and Ethan. I happened to me muddling around another site that mentioned this series and I remembered I had this on my Kindle. Being only 27 pages long, I knew I had the ability to read it quickly and learn more about Kimber.

It definitely sheds more light on this sibling relationship. Obviously, there's a lot of hostility there from Kimber's POV in Glimmerglass, but it never really delves into why. This short novella cert
Tiffany (About to Read)
Remedial Magic is the prequel to the Faeriewalker series. I actually did not find out about this book until after I read the trilogy, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. This is a short story about Kimber that briefly introduces you to Avalon and allows you to get to know two of the supporting characters.

It is not necessary to read Remedial Magic before you start the Faeriewalker trilogy; however, I think the additional character insights would have made Glimmerglass more enjoyable. I would have under
Rebecca A. Rogers
I haven’t read the first book in this series yet, but the bonus story was free. I can’t resist freebies.

Kimber is tired of living in the shadow of her older brother, so she’s determined to prove she can perform magic just as well as anybody else. Unfortunately, her efforts lead to disaster—in the form of evil teddy bears.

Yeah, you read that correctly. Evil. Teddy. Bears. The entire story is basically her chanting the wrong spell and psycho teddies attacking her. Then, who saves the day and walk
Gabrielle
The story was ok, it reminded me of manga aimed at the female audiences. This story is based in the world of the main books, and the quick short story is a good way to introduce the reader to the world built by Ms Black.

The quick pace of the story is a great way to make the reader stay engaged. And having the first person point of view makes it an easy read. I could easily imagine this as a good manga.

Other than that the copy includes first two chapters of Glimmerglass, this time with a diffe
Adriane
This is a short preview to the Glimmerglass series by Jenna Black, it's told from the perspective of one of the side characters. I really like the way she did that, as usually the preview books are from the main character either before their life gets all "wacky" with magic/romance/magical romance, or it's told from the dude's perspective. In any case being told from Kimbers perspective was both refreshing and hooked me in mighty effectively.

I ended up buying every other book in this series in
★Meghan★
Really quick short read that gives a slight introduction to the Faeriewalker series.

Kimber is a faerie, however she cannot seem to collect enough magic to really perform anything of real substance for her needs. She is left to fall into her brother Ethan's shadow. One day while her father and brother are gone she invites a friend over to help her with her magic and to figure out why she cannot seem to perform the magic. While attempting to move one of her many teddy bears to her through telekine
Len
original post here

Remedial Magic is a short story that follows, Kim and her attempt to train in magic. We met Kim in Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker #1). She is Ethan's sister. Ethan just happened to be a a faery-prodigy - young faery able to call on magic effortlessly. While Kim, despite being a faery, happens to have difficulty doing magic even the simplest one. That fact made her seek help, which eventually turned into a disaster.

This is a good side story of Kim - a brief glance into her attempt t
Sarah Marie
Remedial Magic by Jenna Black

4 stars

Kimber is tired of being under her brother, Ethan's shadow. She's two years younger than Ethan enrolled in college and he is still considered the genius. I really liked Kimber. She was funny and I felt sorry for her. It must suck to have a brother like Ethan and to constant be overlooked. I do plan on reading the Faeriewalker series for sure now. I really liked the way Black writes and the concept of the city of Avalon is quite fascinating. A town that's not

Melanie
This is a short, to the point story that I really enjoyed. It's funny and yet heart-wrenching. Perhaps I just appreciate it because I really like and empathize with Kimber. I wouldn't say this story is super important to understanding her, but I'm glad I read it.
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Beasts and BFFs (13 to Life, #0.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.5-.6)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • The Bite of Silence (Biting Love, #3)
  • Moonstone (Unbidden Magic, #1)
  • I Thought It Was You (Grimm's Circle, #2.5)
  • Hellcursed (Shadowfae, #0.5)
  • Dark Legacy
  • Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5)
  • Fairytale (Fairies of Rush, #1)
  • Amber Moon (Moon Trilogy, #2)
  • Impulse Control (Talent Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Wild's Call (Aspect of Crow, #0.5)
  • Heart of the Witch
  • Behind the Mirror (Return of the Ancients, #0.5)
Jenna Black is your typical writer. Which means she's an "experience junkie." She got her BA in physical anthropology and French from Duke University.

Once upon a time, she dreamed she would be the next Jane Goodall, camping in the bush making fabulous discoveries about primate behavior. Then, during her senior year at Duke, she did some actual research in the field and made this shocking discovery
More about Jenna Black...

Faeriewalker (3 books)
  • Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1)
  • Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2)
  • Sirensong (Faeriewalker, #3)
Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1) Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2) Sirensong (Faeriewalker, #3) The Devil Inside (Morgan Kingsley #1) Dark Descendant (Nikki Glass, #1)