Start by marking “Uprising” as Want to Read:
Uprising

Uprising (Vampire Federation #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  643 ratings  ·  52 reviews
A new war is dawning…For millennia, the vampires walked the earth undetected, feasting on humans in keeping with ancient tradition.In the Information Age, vampires realised they must be more careful to avoid detection. In the late 20th century they created the global Vampire Federation to police vampire activity, with special agents like Alex Bishop authorised to hunt down ...more
Published June 10th 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Uprising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uprising

Kat
OK here's the thing. I like post-apocalyptic books. I love zombie books (and movies!). But Vampires? Meh.

Maybe it was the whole Twilight hoo-hah that put me off (books sitting at the top of a best-seller list longer than it took the author to write aren't my thing - sorry Mr Larsson but your books will never grace my bookshelves). So how did I ever come to own this book? No idea.

However, Uprising changed my view of the vampire genre for the better. Good solid characters (both likeable and despic
Paul
The blurb on the back cover of Uprising boldly proclaims that this will be “a perfect read for fans of films such as Blade an Nightwatch”. Curious to see if this claim would prove to be true I was looking forward to reading this novel.

The concept of vampires living secretly amongst humans has been done before, and I’m sure it will be done again, so when I am reading this subject matter I’m really looking to see if an author can inject their own unique perspective on the topic. Mariani goes for t
Brian Taylor
Having written a book featuring vampires, I tend to gravitate toward books like Uprising. Even though vampires are the main antagonists, this is far from a horror book. Make no mistake about it, this is a thriller through and through. It just so happens to you’ll find vampires in it too. And I think that’s where Mr. Mariani succeeds. He never tries to make this book something it wasn’t meant to be.

From the publisher: A new war is dawning. For millennia, vampires walked the earth undetected, feas
Stephanie
Three and a half stars for this one. It's about vampire's surviving in the modern age, by policing their own kind, not allowing them to kill humans, and giving them pills so they can go out in the sun light. As the title suggests it's about a group of vampires uprising against these ristrictions. It's fast paced and action packed. I really liked the main characters; Alex, the agent from the VIA (Vampire Intelligence Agency), and Joel the police officer that stumbles upon a vampire murder. Gabrie ...more
Shay Noble
Within Uprising we are allowed to enter the very exclusive and equally secretive world of the vampires. Evolving through the years and eventually establishing the Vampire Federation, they have learnt to live among the humans and to avoid detection at all costs. We follow Alex(andra), a hard-hitting, no-nonsense vampire Special Agent who works for the Federation and hunts down those that violate its rules and regulations. But not all of the vampire population agree with the Federation's new regim ...more
Sato
I'm not used to read in English, yet this book was very fun to read, easy to follow. There were a couple of points where I felt the story expedient, but it may be the way fiction goes. I got fascinated by the charming evil vampires - I'm looking forward to see them again in the next volume.
Maddy Churchhouse
Is it stupid? Oh yes. Is it ridiculous? Oh yes. Does it gleefully indulge in every vampire cliche since Dracula? Oh yes. And is it, most importantly, completely and wildly hilarious?

To risk sounding like Challenge Churchill: Oh, YES.

What makes this novel strike gold is the fact it never takes itself too seriously. I was chuckling all the way through, and while I'm not entirely sure that was intentional, it only increased my enjoyment. The vampire chick who insists on wearing tight red leather to
(This review may contain spoilers).

So... most people who know me know that I've grown pretty sick of vampire stories. Every book, film, television series, etc. so far portrays them as just people with fangs - and they completely disregard the legends. (Vampires can walk in sunlight, wood can't hurt them, they sparkle...)

I had mixed feelings when I picked up Uprising. On the one hand, it looked interesting. On the other... well, vampires.

My decision to take the book (apart from the fact that it w
Vannessa
I got this book cheap from Amazon in their spring sale and thought it might be worth a read. So glad I bought it as I really enjoyed it - a bit of old age vampire Dracula style mythology (including the castle in Romania) mixed with modern day vamps who go round in the daytime using a sun sensitive drug (but not sparkle in the daytime Twilight crap). These 2 groups of vampires are against each other in an upcoming war and only one thing can save them, found and carried by one human who believes i ...more
Blood Rose Books
In Scott G. Mariani's debut novel into the paranormal genre he has created the Federation, an overseeing rule of Vampire, however, not all Vampires have accepted the rules (never harm a human, never fall in love with a human and never turn a human) and are prepared to do anything to turn things back to the old ways.

Alex Bishop is the top agent for The Federation in London, she knows the importance in keeping the Humans in the dark about vampire's existence and adhering to the laws of the Federat
Lisa
I have to point out before reviewing this book that I have a huge love of vampires, the vampire mythology and most (but not all) vampire films/books. I also love the urban fantasy genre, where I find most books seem to be written by women, which seems to lead to a big focus on the romance side of things in the main part.

Uprising by Scott Mariani upon first reading the blurb sounds like it’s going to be the atypical urban fantasy novel but from the first page it becomes obvious it’s not. With Sco
AvonBooksUK
A new war is dawning…
In the Information Age, vampires realised they must be more careful to avoid detection. In the late 20th century they created the global Vampire Federation to police vampire activity, with special agents like Alex Bishop authorised to hunt down her own kind who break the laws. The old traditions are history.

But not all vampires bow down to Federation rule. When rebe
Michael Brown
There's nothing particularly new here, just a few twists on the old tropes. You can see the plot of "Dracula" staining the pages, but then Mariani himself admits the debt quite overtly. Stylistically it's undercooked, and the plot doesn't go down too many unexpected routes. Occasionally, it gets a little melodramatic and there were times I expected our nasty Vampire villain to cackle. Meanwhile, his overly comely Vampiress villain sister sounded like a 14-year-old boy's drawing of his perfect wo ...more
Tom Tischler
A gruesome ritual murder has brought Detective Joel Solomon
into investigate. This triggers his worst nightmare for Joel
has a deep secret. He believes in vampires. Alex Bishop is
an agent of the Vampire Intelligence Agency and she enforces
the laws of the global Vampire Federation hunting rogue
members of her race. The Federation has come under attack by
the Traditionalist Vampires who wish to bring back the old
school terror. This is plunging Alex and Joel into a deadly
war between the two vampire
Ali
I decided to read this because I am waiting for the next Ben Hope book which comes out in a few weeks.

If you like Scott Mariani's Ben Hope books, which I love, and you don't mind vampire type stories you will like this. It has the typical Ben Hope type plot- there's a bad guy and the hero and then there's always a love interest that the hero never quite gets, etc etc. I really liked this one and I have already started the next one.

It's nothing like Twilight so don't diss the vampire theme too
Christopher Dodds
A really good book, I'm a great fan of vampire stories and this one was amazing. It had an excellent characters who were well described the plot was exciting and I was hooked on each chapter and the ending was well done and left me wanting more.
Susan Overton
I loved the Ben Hope series, but wasn't sure about a vampire series. My son brought them for me to read and I read both books in the series, and loved them
Paula Pinto
I expected more from the book. It was a good reading but not something outstanding
Jan Domagala
Good start to a series, it was a cross between a young adult vampire thriller and one of the authors other series featuring Ben Hope. I wouldn't rate this as a horror story as the tension building required for a good horror story just wasn't present, plenty of gore and blood but the element that etched into your mind to give you nightmares or for you to look into the dark corners to see what was lurking was plainly missing. Elements of the story were predictable but having said that it was an en ...more
Leila
This is the first modern vampire book I have read and the author writes very well indeed. I found it an easy read and the plot has a fresh outlook on the whole vampire theme due to 21st century technology.A battle rages between those vampires who see this need to adapt and those who want none of it. I enjoyed it and on the strength of how well written this book is I have two more written by the same author on my book shelf waiting to be read.
Julienj
An interesting debut with a bureaucratic view of vampires that was well thought and different from the usual "sensually mysterious and powerfull old vampire with a grudge" kind of book.
Strong female character that I want to follow around. Her male counterpart less so. A bit too much whiny and dramatic for my tastes so far.
I very much liked the book and will get to the second one when I feel like reading about vampires again.
Jamie Mccay
great idea for a story.
Carys
Wow. its an awesome book. i really loved it and i hope that they will make it into a film. i'm not really in to vampire themed books but this one is by far one of the best ones that i have read. the story and the characters were perfect. Scott G Mariani is a genius. would highly recommend this book to anyone as it is a book that you wont be able to put down :) awesome and i cant wait to read the next book in the series.
Lindsay
I have to admit that my benchmarks for vampire fiction are reasonably low (I'm looking for entertainment and so I'm willing to ignore stuff that doesn't make sense and characters that fall in love for no good reason). Saying that, I was really impressed by this book. It drew me in and keep me enthralled throughout the whole story, with some great characters and ideas. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the sequel.
Jools
Recommended to me by a customer at the library where I work, and contrary to the usual recommendations from customers, I really enjoyed it. Not the usual teen-vamp-romance read by any means, but not in the least Bram Stokerish either. Not a horror, more of an adventure with a modern twist on the usual vampire story. Well written, believable characters, a great plot spanning most of Europe.
Teejaybee
Horror or other scary genres aren't usually to my tastes but I read this as an initial free book when I got my Kindle and I was pleasantly surprised.

A good, modern twist to an age old scary genre. The twist at the end came out of the blue and might just get me to read the next one in the series - if I can find a free download :o)
Neal Dench
A ver silly story, but enjoyable nonetheless. Quite nice to read a vampire story that wasn't trying to be like Twilight. Character development a notch above what you might normally expect for a free book. This is the first of a series, and if correctly priced I could be persuaded to part with money for the follow-ups.
Megan
A complete cahnge to the usualy vampire novels. It was very well written and easy to follow. I loved the very realistic feel the book gave off compared to other vampire novels. It was refreshing to have a diffrent view of vampires. Loved the book and can't wait for the next instalment!
Allison Cheesman
this book was truely brilliant , i loved it from start to finish, would make a brilliant film on the big screen, can't wait to read the follow on "the cross".You can not compare this with the Vampire diaries as it is far better, Its a "can't put this book down" kinda book .
Emma
I was a little cautious on reading this book, seeing as i love Scott Mariani books i didn't want to spoil it for myself. But i'm glad to say that i was not disappointed in the slightest, i can't wait for the next one to come along! (hopefully)!!
  • The Shadow Project (Ben Hope, #5)
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Draculas
  • Dr. Dale's Zombie Dictionary: The A-Z Guide to Staying Alive
  • Painless
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • William Walker's First Year Of Marriage: A Horror Story
  • Lunar Light (Beautiful Damned, #1)
  • The Cost of Betrayal (The Half-Orcs, #2)
  • Paint it Black (Sonja Blue, #3)
  • The Lost Scrolls (Rogue Angel #6)
  • The Blood That Bonds (II AM Trilogy, #1)
  • Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1)
  • Letters on Demonology and Witchcraft
  • Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder
  • A Taste of Blood Wine
aka Scott Mariani.

Scott Mariani is the author of the Sunday Times bestselling series of conspiracy adventure thrillers featuring ex-SAS hero and former theology scholar Ben Hope. With translation rights sold in 20 countries, the series was optioned for film in 2009 and a major star is lined up to take the leading role. 2010 sees the launch of Scott's new Vampire Federation series for Avon, writing
More about Scott G. Mariani...
The Cross (Vampire Federation, #2)