Start by marking “Murder of a Royal Pain: A Scumble River Mystery” as Want to Read:
Murder of a Royal Pain: A Scumble River Mystery

Murder of a Royal Pain: A Scumble River Mystery (A Scumble River Mystery #11)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  627 ratings  ·  38 reviews
When school psychologist Skye Denison stumbles over the body of pushy aPromfesta chairperson Annette Paine during a Halloween fundraiser, it looks like a clear-cut case of promicide. Annette was not the only prom mom desperate to see her daughter crowned queen. But she was also wearing the same witch costume as Skye, so which witch was the intended victim?
Hardcover, Large Print, 334 pages
Published June 1st 2009 by Center Point

To ask other readers questions about Murder of a Royal Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder of a Royal Pain

Sheri
Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11) Denise Swanson
School psychologist Skye Denison finally gets the help she needs when the school hires a social worker. At first Skye likes this idea but things soon change. While the school prepares for a Halloween fundraiser the chair person , Annette Pain ends up dead. There are many suspects, and soon Skye wonders who the intended victim really is. Two other women were dressed in identical witch costumes at the time of murder, including Sky
Lady Knight
I picked this up on a whim and wasn't disappointed! Skye Denison is a great amateur dectective with all the fun of Nancy Drew and all the sass of someone middle aged, but without crossing the line. Good beach read. Although one knows from almost the first page who "dunnit", almost all of the fun comes from Skye's attempts to track 'em down!

School psychologist Skye Denison can't seem to catch a break. Between dealing with problem children at three different age levels (elementary school, junior h
Vicky
Skye does not fail to disappoint: still a spineless wonder of a heroine. The books are not hilarious. They are a poor attempt of cutesy writing that fails to appeal. And why are all the men that enter the picture "hot"? The author has needed to rethink this character from book one.

Skye, the ever so brilliant sleuth, gets "roped-into" participating in the haunted house out of what? Fear, jealousy of the new social worker? Where is her backbone? then her fear of haunted houses has her packing gar
Nancy
I read about this author in the Illini News and wanted to try one of her light mysteries set in a small Illinois town. the town is obviously close to Chicago and not a downstate farming community which was a disappointment for me. i wanted to "see" the characters of Greenup or Casey. I think this is the 11th in the series. Skye is a small town school psychologist. Unlikely events start happening after a new school social worker is hired. The social worker appears too good to be true. The chairma ...more
Jim
I've summarized the previous ten books of this series all in my review of "Murder of a Pink Elephant (A Scumble River Mystery, Book 6)" In general, I enjoy this series.

This one is one of the better ones--even though it does not do a good job of diverting you from the guilty party, it moves quickly, is focused, and has multiple interesting things happening.

One thing I particularly liked was a connection she threw in to two previous books. I assumed it was planned--showing long range thinking; or
Georgiann Hennelly
When skye stumbles over the body of Annette Paine the pushy prom fest chair person during a halloween haunted house fund raiser. At first it looks like a clear cut -case of promicide. But Annette was not the only prom mom desparate to see her daughter crowned queen -and her hubby is no prince either. Skye,s anxious to investigate , but with the new over eager school social worker and her boyfriends emotional distance. She keeps getting side tracked . But one question haunts her: Since Annette wa ...more
Susan
School psychologist Skye Denison should be happy that her school system has finally hired a social worker, Jackie Jennings, but the extra help does not make life any easier. There's an irate, and not too rational, parent out gunning for Skye, and she's being forced to participate in the haunted house fundraiser, even though she fears and hates haunted houses. Then the leading figure in the haunted house dies mysteriously, when Skye's boyfriend, local police chief Wally, is out of town. His secon ...more
frozendreams
This is the first new book that I've read from the series in a while, which was one of the reasons that I decided to reread them. While the killer was obvious very early on, it was still interesting to watch the story unfold. I'm not a fan of the way that this series seems to bunch up the reveal to the characters, hash out their motives, and wrap it all up in one go in a similar choppy fashion in each novel. However, this seems to be a problem with the mystery genre in general as I've noticed th ...more
Jenn
I like this series. The heroine isn't an idiot like a lot of the series of this ilk. Her boyfriend (who is also the police chief) doesn't treat her like "the little lady" who needs to be taken care of shielded at all costs. And she doesn't generally get herself into stupid situations when she should have waited for help. Notice I added that "generally." She made a stupid decision in the end of THIS book, but normally she's pretty bright. I have to say that I saw the culprit coming pretty early o ...more
Danni
This was a page turner. I will be looking for more books by this author.
Linda
I was definitely almost a "4" on this one - wish there were a couple of slightly off-color parts that would have been left out of this book.

Skye Dennison is a school counselor that helps to solve crimes for the police department. Maybe it's because I know the school system so well that I laughed out loud at some of the inside jokes in this book. You can tell that Denise Swanson has some serious knowledge of schools and the people in them. I enjoyed this book and hope to read more in this series.
Tina
Love this series!!
Linda
I really enjoyed this entry in the Scumble River series. The ending was so good and worked out just the way I wanted it to.
Julie P
Mary Kay
These books about a school psychologist in a small town near Chicago are quite readable. Of course, how many murders can one small town have in just a couple of years?? Skye Denison is a great character, though, & the situations she finds herself in are engrossing. This one concerns mothers who are on the campaign trail for their daughter for Prom Queen & it's only October!
Ashley FL
The addition of a yet another male into this love triangle builds on my least favorite part of the series. And the constant weight discussions continue.

Why do I keep reading? And the answer is: the books are here and I like to complete things. And the supporting characters are fun. The plot was stupid and obvious but not as bad as "Botoxed Blond".
Beth Revers
This was a re-read for me, as this is the author of the month for Cozy Mystery group. I still enjoyed it very much. I love the characters in this series, and this one had roots in two other books. The author sent the parents out of town, and it was interesting reading about the people and the town without their involvement.
Regan
I love this series. This one took a bit of a different turn with one of the characters -- with no explanation he was suddenly not reliable. I felt like I missed something, but the story takes a chilling twist on the murder mystery part that was really well done. And....I think Kurt should get his own series.
Sheri
Jan 10, 2012 Sheri rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
I liked this mystery after about 50 pages. Takes place at a high school Halloween haunted house event. The main character is a school psychologist who solves murders with the help of the police.
I liked the characters and the plot. And I liked that the victim and the killer were not well liked.
Lyndsey Plitt
Great addition to this series...im happy to see Skye and Wally`s relationship progressing as I never liked her with Simon anyways. Also I was quite surprised with who the killer was and was quite pleased with how their story tied in with previous adventures in Scumble River.
Kathy
I was given an autographed copy of this book by a co-worker who is a friend of the author. It's a pleasantly different murder mystery (I'm already hooked on the caterer and the coffee shop owner) because the main character is a school psychologist. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Lynda
This book in the series was rather weak - the murderer was rather obvious though the motive was not clear at first. It is tiring to have Skye yet again doubting whether she belongs with Wally or the hunk of the month - this time a new reporter.
Kate
Loved this one- the murderer is very creepy and I liked the stories about Skye in her job as a school psychologist. There is also a haunted house and a hunky new guy in town. This was a fun read and probably one of my favorite Scumble River books.
Kimber
Shannon
I liked this book.It was a little bit darker than the others in the series but it was still good. A bit more stronger language than her other books as well. Still good mystery and suspense going on here.
Chazzi
A good, fast read with some good twists. No longer involved with school age kids, a little hard to get into. Do like author's style and flow and look forward to reading more of her work.
Ronica
I just finished this one, and I loved it just the previous stories before. I think that sub=plot mystery from previous books was well brought out in this one.
Jerry
I like these books, but it gets rather certain that the heroine is going to do things her own way and get in trouble in each book.
Melissa
Quick, relaxing read. It's been a while since I've read a Scumble River mystery; I wasn't disappointed. Kept my interest and was good.
Joanna
Typical of the series, low key entertainment well suited for a sick me stuck in bed but fairly unsatisfying.
  • Drop-Dead Blonde
  • A Catered Christmas Cookie Exchange (A Mystery with Recipes, #9)
  • Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #15)
  • Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Honeymoon (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #18)
  • The Diva Takes the Cake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #2)
  • The Chocolate Book Bandit (A Chocoholic Mystery, #13)
  • Board Stiff (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #12)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • Chili con Carnage
  • Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery #2)
  • Death of a Neighborhood Witch (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #11)
  • Espresso Shot (Coffeehouse Mystery, #7)
  • The Missing Dough (Pizza Lovers, #6)
Denise Swanson lives in Illinois with her husband, classical composer David Stybr and their cool black cat Boomerang.
More about Denise Swanson...
Murder of a Small-Town Honey (A Scumble River Mystery, #1) Murder of a Sweet Old Lady (A Scumble River Mystery, #2) Murder of a Sleeping Beauty (A Scumble River Mystery, #3) Murder of a Barbie and Ken (A Scumble River Mystery, #5) Murder of a Smart Cookie (A Scumble River Mystery, #7)