Start by marking “Murder at Union Station (Capital Crimes, #20)” as Want to Read:
Murder at Union Station (Capital Crimes, #20)

Murder at Union Station (Capital Crimes #20)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  44 reviews
When Washington’s splendid Union Station opened its doors in 1908, the glorious structure epitomized capital stylishness. Today, restored and refurbished, the station is again a hub of activity where the world’s most famous and infamous people meet–and often collide. Now, in Margaret Truman’s new Capital Crime novel, this landmark locale becomes the scene of a sensational ...more
Published October 26th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at Union Station, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at Union Station

Becky
So the thing about her books is that they all just kind of end... you keeping waiting for a climax and there isn't one. Like she decides she's written enough words so she can stop now. Again, I knew who did it and why, but there wasn't ever really a confrontation. Also, the I didn't get how the FBI guys were so slow on the uptake when they had wire taps and stuff. One minute they are right there and the next they are asleep missing everything.
Carl Alves
Murder at Union Station starts with the shooting of a mobster turned government informer at Union Station in Washington. Trying to meet him is Richard Marienthal, a writer who is penning a book about the mobster’s life. When Marienthal begins to dig into why his book subject was shot to death, he begins to find conspiracies leading to the White House and the old Soviet Union and Castro. In the process, Marienthal becomes a target of the killers and has to go on the run.
This novel is a solidly bu
Gerald
A former Mafia hit man allegedly carried out a contract assassination of a South American dictator based on the orders of the head of an American intelligence service. Following his arrest, he agrees to be a government witness in exchange for being included in the witness protection program as a citizen of a foreign country. Twenty years later, when he is in his 80’s, he agrees to relate his story to a writer, who plans a fictional account of what is related to him on numerous audio tapes as wel ...more
Corinne Newell
MURDER AT UNION STATION

MURDER AT UNION STATION

Another exciting mystery with red herrings galore. One can learn much about the D.C.landscape and life in our capitol from reading these stories by Truman.
Denise Dougherty
Are they all great? No, of course not. Are they all fun? Yes. And brilliant Margaret also offers up a lesson in the DC area that is also a character in her books. THAT is great.

DD@Phila
Anne
Margaret Truman writes engagingly about Washington. The plot here is somewhat transparent but the characters are well-drawn and reflect Washington thinking and Washington speak.
Barbara
Very predictable. Didn't like the narrator. On the plus side it was only 3 cds--perfect for the car.
Kay
This was an excellent book by Truman. The story of a murdered ex mobster with all the political undertones puts this book above her usual mysteries.
Mary
I love these books. I glimpse into the world far away from my own.
Deborah Miller
Interesting Washington DV mystery!
Mary Mathews
Our favorite characters, Mac and Annabel are in the background this time, leaving us with characters for whom we don't really care, or have we just learned NOT to care for people who work in politics.
Joyce McKune
Mac was asked to help an author who wrote a book mentioning that the sitting president had ordered a hit back when he headed the CIA.
Linda
Margaret Truman, daughter of President Truman, has the inside scoop on Washington D.C. In addition to her fast-paced plots, I enjoy reading about the various neighborhoods her characters travel through in the nation's capital. In Murder at Union Station, an ambitious writer becomes involved in a murder investigation when the subject of his upcoming book is shot moments after he steps off the train at Union Station. Truman combines politics, mystery and a touch of romance in this page-turner.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Mac and Annabelle are drawn into the murder of a former enforcer.

The sitting president is accused of ordering the murder of a sitting Chilean president while head of the CIA. A former enforcer of the Mob claimed to have been the hit man and hired a Ghost Writer to write his story. A right wing Senator who has made it his life to not let the sitting president see a second term is doing all he can to get the book published.
Guerin Barry does a good job and telling the story.
Tamara Bennett
not as compelling as most of the books in the Capital Crimes' series has been. Main characters were a little dull & undeveloped resulting in my apathy about their fates. Only 1 character did I care about a little bit - i hated the father. The murder mystery itself & the political intrigue were also a little flat. In general I have read almost all of the Capital Crimes & the earliest or maybe the 1st half or so were really good or great & the second half not so much.
Ninamarie
More build up than the weak ending deserved...lost momentum in last 40 pages.
Susan
I want to like Margaret Truman's books but this is the second of hers I have tried to read; I finished the first but didn't really like it, and I couldn't finish this. Not sure what I didn't like except I think I find the characters to be a bit pretentious. This one involves the murder at Union Station of a man who is integral to a book project being written by the main character. I like the descriptions of Union Station but the plot didn't grab me.
Jackie
I couldn't finish. The plot just circulated around a mysterious character for 200+ pages. The author just kept repeated 90% of the same mysterious "facts" by using different characters to repeat them. Super boring. Thought it would get better but I really should have quit after the rule of 100.

(Rule of 100 = take 100 and subtract your age. That's how many pages you should read before deciding if the book is worth continuing.)
Ari
Picked it up at the airport, read it on the plane. I was disappointed. The characters mostly didn't seem that interesting and I felt like the plot didn't really resolve in a satisfying way. Main excuse for this novel seems to be to namedrop as many Washington places as possible. Felt formulaic. Possibly some of the earlier novels in the series are good; this one was tired.
Serbma
I'd actually give this 3 1/2 stars. Don't know what i expected, but it was fun being taken around Washington D.C. , and I thought it ironic that the character "Russo" had the same last name as the "Mob Mayor of Philly", back in (I think it was) the 60's. I would read another Truman novel.
Daphne Ryan
I generally find her mystery books pretty fun reads with a mini US government lesson along the way. But this was just ok. I enjoyed Murder at Foggy Bottom more. . . And while I did find interesting the character's struggle to get a novel published. . . the outcome wasn't too believable.
Lncropper
It's just a murder mystery--nothing amazing, but I do like the way Margaret Truman writes, and particularly her obvious knowledge of Washington, D.C. I believe this is the 20th of her books set in one place or another in D.C., and they can be quite interesting.
Laura Beasley
Good mystery. Story started out a little slow but picked up. Also keeping track of who was on what side got confusing. Liked the political side of it. Doe not show politicians in a good light which is sad but true. Plan to read more of her books.
Vicki Jaeger
It was an interesting read, chock-full of politics and location/people name dropping. It left you asking questions about our government and how they are potentially involved in minute details mentioned on the news...
Deborah
It's an OK mystery - not a great one. I was disappointed at the ending. Easy read and somewhat entertaining. If you want something quick for a lazy weekend, this might be a good choice.
Linda
I liked the premise for this one but it did seem a little long. Quite a bit of political intrigue going on with a book coming out that hits a little too close to the presidency.
Darlis
I have read others of Truman Daniels mysteries and enjoyed them, but this one--eh! not so much. We listened to the cd and it just never got my attention.
Barbara Schweitzer
I have read many of Margaret Truman's books--always a good mystery plot with insider's view of D.C. included--nothing spectacular but good solid mystery.
  • Murder in the Oval Office (Eleanor Roosevelt, #6)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Tapas on the Ramblas (A Russell Quant Mystery, #3)
  • Shadow of a Doubt (Charley Sloan, #1)
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • All the Dead Were Strangers
  • Torn   (Randall Shane #3)
  • The Waxman Report: How Congress Really Works
  • Vineyard Shadows (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #12)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)
  • Untitled (A Booklover's Mystery, #4)
  • The Chardonnay Charade (Wine Country Mysteries #2)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Turns the Tide
  • The Last Woman In His Life
  • The Beverly Malibu (Kate Delafield, #3)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
  • Ghost Country
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...

Capital Crimes (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Murder in Georgetown (Capital Crimes, #7)
  • Murder in the CIA (Capital Crimes, #8)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)
Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1) Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4) Murder at the Library of Congress (Capital Crimes, #16) Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10) Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)