Start by marking “ABC Kids” as Want to Read:
ABC Kids

ABC Kids

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Using creative alliteration, his signature Manga-style artwork, and his eye for clever design, Simon Basher brings a fresh approach to reimagining the alphabet. Each spread brings a new letter, a new friend, and some hilariously imaginative action. From Arthur, whose angry ant ate apples, to Maude whose mean monkey makes marvelous milkshakes, to Vera who vacuums vegetables ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Kingfisher (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about ABC Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ABC Kids

Garren
Each letter of the alphabet gets an alliterative sentence with an amusing illustration, then one noun in the sentence is featured on the facing page with the dog or whatever it is redrawn by itself. This seems like a good way to let kids identify spoken with written words on their own. The single noun will also be capitalized unlike in the sentence, so that subtly teaches the two casing forms.

The art is simple and stylized against a plain background, instead of complex. This is probably better f
Chelsey Wilson
"ABC Kids" is a great book for kids who are only getting familiar with the alphabet and and learning their letters. The book uses a great font so that if the children who are having the book read to them can see what the letter they are learning looks like. I loved how each word in the sentences started with the letter being learned. My only concern with the book is that for letters that don't have near as many words to use that children know (z, for example), they used the word "Zeppelin", whic ...more
Marfita
I like to think I'm an expert on alphabet books. Or, at least I know what parents want when they come in to the library looking for one. We have many beautiful alphabet books - mostly long on concept and short on purpose.

A good, useful alphabet book has:

Lots of white space to show up both the letters and the picture.
Large letters in both upper and lower case for the alphabet.
Basic objects that are easy to recognize or to run across in real life and that have ...
Simple words to go with the pictur
David
Basher: ABC Kids by Basher is a very stylized look at the ABC's with a word, its picture and the position of the letter in the alphabet on one page, and a sentence both written and pictured with upper and lower case for each letter on the facing page.

Bssher's stylized manga-like illustrations will attract many. My favorite images include Cuckoo collects coins, Gertrude's greedy goat, Henry's hairy hat, Leonard's lobster, Nancy & noodles, Olga's octopus, unicycles underwater, vacuums vegetabl
jacky
Each page spread features a letter showing it nice and big in both upper and lower case. There is a single sentence using many words starting with the letter featured on the page. There is no continuous plot, but each page is like a mini story and they are fun featuring kids and animals. Its a little spunky though - I noticed animals pooping in at least two pictures!
Ying Lee
Genre: Alphabet Book
Copyright: 2011

This is a cute and interesting alphabet that is slightly different from other ones. This book not only introduces alphabets but also uses alphabets a lot in sentences. For example, the introduction of letter "M" comes with a sentence "Maude's mean monkey makes marvelous milkshakes" (unpaged)-- alliteration! Also, readers will see pictures with a monkey drinking milkshakes. Another example is on the page that introduces the letter "V." Readers will see pictures
Heydi Smith
A fantastic alphabet book. With sentences that only start with the letter featured.

An outstanding example of a good alphabet book. It peaks their interest shows examples of everything that's discussed and didn't even stumble on the harder letters.

I would definitely read this at storytime, could use for alphabets, obviously, but also for any of the animals or items featured, also for parts of speech and poetry. I think a great craft for this book would be to have the kids make their own sentences
Leslie
Another fun alphabet book. For each letter on the left page is an alliterative verse, like "Jasper juggles juicy jellyfish" complete with silly picture and a large upper and lower case letter. On the right page is one word, like jellyfish in this case and an alphabet with the showcased letter underlined.

I think this book will be good for newish readers (some of the words are unusual like "zeppelin"). What I like about this book is that I can just read the right hand pages for my infant who doesn
Allison Parker
Fun, manga inspired artwork offers a fresh look at the basic alphabet book. Basher packs his book with learning opportunities by presenting readers with the capital and lowercase level, the letter's position in the whole alphabet, and a very silly alliterative sentence that employs the letter at the start of every word, including a proper noun, verb, noun, and adjective, for most letters. So while "Olga's octopus owns oodles of opals," "Xavier x-rays xylophones." Lots of fun for both those first ...more
Jocelyn
Genre: alphabet book
Copyright: 2011

This book introduces alphabet and gives each letter a sentences with the same first letter. For instance, the introduction of D comes with "Dexter's dog dances dreadfully". Also, Readers could see a picture which shows the dog is dancing dreadfully. The cute illustrations not only present the condition of the sentences, but also could attract children. It is a great book to teach alphabet and let children learn more different words start with the same first let
Dana
Cute illustrations and nice big upper- and lowercase letters. I also like how the entire alphabet is printed across the bottom of the page so kids can see where in the alphabet the letter appears. However, it seems like K and Z could have been improved upon: "Kitty's kangaroo kicks koalas." I really don't want kids (or animals) kicking ANY animals. "Zack zaps zeppelins" shows an illustration of a boy using a gun to shoot blimps from the sky, and the gun has little hearts around its laser beam. H ...more
Donalyn
Basher's whimsical illustrations feature kids from A-Z in playful, alliterative sentences, "Queenie questions quivering quails, Brianna bounces beautiful bugs, and Jasper juggles juicy jellyfish." This is a delightful book for introducing the alphabet to primary readers who can see both upper and lower case letters featured in every sentence, and find each letter's location on the A to Z alphabet line scrolling across the bottom of each page. Older readers can explore alliteration and parts of s ...more
Patricia
My favorite ABC book, because i loved the idea of making a sentence using one letter. Like Ursulas uncle unicycles underwater, because it makes it fun to read and they also added images of what the senteces was about. Another aspect of the book that i thought was clever and helpful was that they had the whole alphabet at the bottom of each right page and the letter that we were reading on that page was underlined on that page. I think its a helpful and fun for children to read.
Brenda Pritchard
toddler story time; Alphabet knowledge, print motivation, phonological awareness

This is a book that has simple phrases and large letters. The pages are thick and easily handled by a toddler who knows not to rip pages. The alphabet is written on the bottom of the page and the appropriate letter is highlighted. The word that is being mentioned in in all CAPS and the pictures are bright and cheerful. I would recommend this for toddler story time.

Megan
Aug 22, 2011 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddler-kindergarten
This alphabet book can be adapted to fit different levels of alphabet readiness. With my own daughter who is not quite 2, I focused on the 2nd page of each two-page spread which displays one word beginning with the featured letter. For older readers, you could look at the first page of the spread which gives a whole sentence with each word beginning with the featured letter. I like how this book gives both the uppercase and lowercase version of the letters.
Janet
Quirky but fun. Each letter has a two-age spread. The first page clearly shows each upper and lower case letter, which is incorporated into a drawing that illustrates a wacky alliterative sentence. The second page has a drawing of one object from the sentence with the word written above and a complete alphabet list at the bottom of one page with the current letter underlined.

Not exactly mainstream, but very cool!

babyhippoface
Pretty adorable illustrations on each alliterative page here. Animals and characters are chubby and round, and they put me in mind of candies and products produced in Asia. They're really pretty cute.

1st grade compared this to Dr. Seuss's ABC yesterday. Seuss rhymes, this doesn't. Seuss has imaginary creatures, this doesn't. But they're both cute and the vote was split right up the middle on which book was the favorite.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Annie
Author: Simon Basher
Genre: Traditional Literature
Interest Level: PK-K
Grade Level Equivalent: 3

This books contains funny alliterations and illustartions to go along with each letter of the alphabet (example: Brianna bounces beautiful bugs.) Great vocab builder and spelling aid. Kids will laugh at the silly details in the pictures. So did I.
Kris
I'm not a huge fan of Basher's art (seeing his slug with a smiley baby face kinda gives me the creeps) but this is a decent alphabet book: one sentence per page, all alliteration, large upper- and lower-case letters and the alphabet on every spread with the featured letter bolded so kids can see its place in line, and art bright and large enough for a group read.
Danica Midlil
Okay, the vocabulary is freakin' fabulous. The alliterative phrases are pretty good but common in an ABC book. But the illustrations are blah. This is a read-it-once book. There is nothing to come back and look at in this book!
Mary Ann
What a delightful way to feature the alphabet. The illustrations remind me of a mixture of Asain and Inuit cultures. The alliteration should inspire writers to try something new.
This is everything an alphabet book should be. I love the illustrations that accompany the text and the text itself is silly and fun. Love it!
Chelsi
This is a wonderful ABC book. It shows capitals and lowercase, where the letter is in the alphabet, and sentences using only that letter.
Nicole
Unique alliterative sentences for each letter, featuring capitals and lower case as well as a full lowercase alphabet on each spread.
Nicole
LOVE Basher - the artwork is just awesome. And this was a VERY fun version of an ABC book...very unique.
Kris
Yoko's yucky yellow yak yells "Yo!" is my favorite along with vaccuming various vegetables.
Therese
Oct 19, 2012 Therese added it
Shelves: baby-storytime
Good for parent/child discussion for letter recognition. Cute, soft pictures.
Mary Lee
Alliterative sentences or single words through the alphabet.
Laura Z
One of the best ABC books I've seen in a long time!
Edward Sullivan
Clever, colorful, alliterative, and fun!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Periodic Table: Elements with Style! (Basher Science) Physics: Why Matter Matters! Astronomy: Out of This World! Rocks and Minerals: A Gem of a Read! (Basher Science) Chemistry: Getting a Big Reaction! (Basher Science)