Start by marking “Business by the Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace” as Want to Read:
Business by the Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace

Business by the Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  220 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
What would happen if you made your business decisions by the book? "By the Bible that is."

This updated version of the best-selling "Business by the Book "offers radical principles of business management that go beyond the Ten Commandments and other biblical maxims.

"Business by the Book "is a step-by-step presentation of how businesses should be run according to the Creator
Published May 5th 1998 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published November 30th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Business by the Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Business by the Book

Jen Justice
Jul 26, 2012 Jen Justice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
If you are a Christian and own a business or are considering starting a business, you need to read this book. I consider myself a very conscientious person with high integrity and yet I was challenged and convicted by the stories Burkett tells of Christian business men and women making extremely difficult choices for their businesses to honor God and choose His ways and not the world's. Many of the principles he outlines sound familiar and expected, but when put in context of actual situations, ...more
Michelle
Apr 20, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Robert Owens
Excellent book on running a truly godly business.

I once worked for a man who, at the annual Christmas party, said, "This is God's company." Every other business day this man was surly, threatening, deplorable. I don't think anyone liked working for him. What a mockery of what a godly company should be. I once entertained the idea of slipping this book onto his desk. I didn't have the guts to actually do it though... after all he had threatened to cut off my fingers and make me eat them if I misp
Chido Nwakanma
Larry Burkett spells out principles based on The Word that would assist business people.
It promises "a radical approach to business management" if implemented. It is indeed radical. The prescriptions are sensible in most cases, and outlandish in others.
Most people would identify with the five instances of "business bondage" the book identifies, including in particular overwork and disorganisation. Most entrepreneurs fall into this trap.
I often go back to the "Basic Biblical Minimums" the book
Adam
Oct 18, 2008 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Business books are a dime a dozen. This is one that was required reading for my MBA course work, and it delivers on it's promise. Burkett lays out some very simple philosophy: treat people right and good things happen for you.
Jimmy
Excellent book on how businesses should be run.
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Velen van ons zijn werkzaam in het bedrijfsleven; een aantal heeft een eigen zaak of bekleedt een managementpositie in een onderneming. Hoe ga als christen op maandag tot en met zaterdag om met allerlei praktische aspecten van zakendoen, omgang met medewerkers, besteding van geld en het afleggen van verantwoording? Larry Burkett opent de Bijbel en beschrijft radicale, eeuwenoude principes voor het dagelijks leven van ondernemers en managers, laat zien waarom ‘menselijke inzettingen’ die afwijken ...more
Joshua Okello
Mar 08, 2016 Joshua Okello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book that teaches business ethics. I recommend this to any business leader out there who would like to work with a lot of transparency and dignity.
Jon Port
Foundational stuff
Ginger
Jun 23, 2008 Ginger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all entrepreneurs
This book was much better than I anticipated. A thorough, easy-to-read book on all aspects of running a fair, ethical, business with many real-life examples of both good and poor choices. This book truly demonstrates how to run a business God's way, putting people first, and with biblical principles about honesty, debt, paying your vendors, and investment and expansion. Mr. Burkett has got me to focus more on investing in and treating right my co-workers, not just my clients.
Giezi
Mar 19, 2016 Giezi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glory to God for Larry Burkett's life and writtings

I love this book. Mr. Burkett experience and wisdom will allow you will make you understand God's desire for our everyday finance decisions.
Ken Lawrence

I read this with a small group in my church and it provoked some interesting conversations about what it means to be a Christian as a business owner, employer, employee, partner. It was especially helpful since I work in the political arena where "the end justifies the means" becomes a common occurrence.
Scott
Jul 07, 2016 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes we take the expediant instead of the right track - Business By The Book helps to refocus and redirect to the path less taken. In today's marketplace this is an excellent lesson in proper course corrections.
Glyn Williams
Jun 15, 2013 Glyn Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Are a Christian in business? The this is a must have book for you.

Challenging and thought-provoking, and will make you think differently about how and why you do business.
Goodthelife
Mar 13, 2013 Goodthelife rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-hardcopy
Gail Cavanaugh
This book contains an excellent discussion on applying th Bible to your business.
Paul Kovatch
Megan added it
Amanda Ann Davis
Amanda Ann Davis marked it as to-read
Casey G wegenast
Casey G wegenast marked it as to-read
Ferry D
Ferry D marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Brian Head
Brian Head rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Keriann
Keriann marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Kevin Wood
Kevin Wood rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Rodney Gressley
Rodney Gressley marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Brendon Cromwell
Brendon Cromwell marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
  • Earn the Right to Win: How Success in Any Field Starts with Superior Preparation
  • Descending Into Greatness
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy
  • A Lasting Promise: A Christian Guide to Fighting for Your Marriage
  • Creating Your Personal Life Plan: A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing the Life You've Always Wanted
  • Make Your Contacts Count: Networking Know-How for Business and Career Success
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • Spirit to Serve Marriots Way
  • No: Why Kids--Of All Ages--Need to Hear It and Ways Parents Can Say It
  • How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt, and Live Prosperously: Based on the Proven Principles and Techniques of Debtors Anonymous
  • Halftime: Changing Your Game Plan from Success to Significance
  • Man Alive: Transforming Your Seven Primal Needs into a Powerful Spiritual Life
  • Leadership by the Book: Tools to Transform Your Workplace

“Paul: “If any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, uncontentious, free from the love of money” (1 Timothy 3:1–3).” 0 likes