Start by marking “Ghosting” as Want to Read:
Ghosting

Ghosting

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Dr. Jack Scales, hotshot neurosurgeon, is at the peak of his career—and his family’s showing the strain. His wife, Arlen, is having an affair; Ric, their twenty-year-old son, hears voices urging him to violence; and teenaged Haley, a champion swimmer, would rather be anywhere than on a cruise to Bermuda in her family’s luxurious new sailboat…

The Scales’s bon voyage party e
Published August 2nd 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosting

Vicki
This book looked intriguing as I read a bit of it before checking it out. The characters have purchased a new sailboat and off they go on their maiden voyage, soon to pick up what appears to be a shipwrecked creepy character. That's when this book turns dark and horrible. Senseless murder of family members and their friends. Repeated rape of the wife/mother and then the teenage daughter. Finally the murder of that mother and father. Attempted murder of the daughter. Why did I keep reading it? Be ...more
Miles Kelly
The first book I have read by David Poyer who specialises in nautical thrillers. He definitely knows his stuff and this is a thoroughly well informed story. Jack Scales, successful neurosurgeon, takes his family on his new yacht to Bermuda. It is a belated attempt to bring the strained family back together. His wife is beginning an affair, his son is bipolar and may need to go to a group home, and his daughter would sooner be hanging out with her friends. On top of that his lack of marine experi ...more
Judy
This book is weird. People with money should not buy sail boats unless they have like 1 full year of training. Family goes out on a sail boat for a vacation to Bermuda, meet up with a storm which for 3 chapters I swear even made me sea sick just reading it; modern day pirates. Anything that you would think goes wrong on the high seas does in this book. It was creepy, unnerving and you just want to punch someone while you are reading it (characters that is). I read it in one night (up because of ...more
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Dr. Jack Scales, neurosurgeon
SETTING: The sea
RATING: 2.25
WHY: Dr. Jack Scales is a neurosurgeon who buys a boat and plans to sail to Bermuda with his wife and 2 teenagers. Never mind the fact that he is not an experienced sailor or makes zero preparation for the trip. There's a horrendous storm, invasion by some rogues, murders, rapes. I grew to despise the protagonist over the course of the book. He was arrogant and behaved reprehensibly, doing nothing while his wife is repeatedly
Gale
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS: Suspense/2010/St. Martins Press/293 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: SA
TIME/PLACE: Present/ The Atlantic
CHARACTERS: Dr. Jack Scales neurosurgeon & his family
FIRST LINES: The clubhouse had looked out over Manhassatt Bay for a hundered years.
COMMENTS: Dr, Jack Scales, buys a large expensive sailboat & decides it would be a nice family-bonding trip to sail to Bermuda. He is not an experienced sailor. T
Judy
Interesting characterization. I see parallels between the characters of Jack Scales and Barack Obama. Certainly hope the future of the country turns out better under the stewardship of Obama than the future of Scales' family turned out under his stewardship. The book was worth reading I think. Beware of letting your ego become overly inflated and beware of people you do not know (especially if you are out in a boat in the middle of a big ocean :))
Chris Campion
Couldn't write reviews and not include one of my teacher's books. Tells the story of what can go wrong when sailing the unfamiliar seas. Goes from a storm of waves to a storm of violent drug-smugglers who take control of the boat. Violent, gritty, yet wonderfully written. Poetic even. I couldn't put her down.
Justice Garoutte
I rarely ever don't finish a book but I couldn't finish this one. It contains quite a bit of technical sailing/boat information. I didn't find it interesting and the story of the characters wasn't good enough to keep me interested. I rarely write reviews but wanted to say why I disliked he book so much.
Lourdes Venard
The Scales family sets sail for Bermuda, but what should have been an idyllic family vacation turns violent after smugglers take over their boat. Had a little bit of Stephen King going, and good writing, but very, very bad editing which distracted from the book in the end.
David
I haven't read such a "downer" novel in a long, long time. At the risk of playing "spoiler", nothing good happens to anybody in Mr. Poyer's tale of piracy and family terror on the high seas.

If you're looking for the cavalry to arrive, it doesn't.

Richard
Dec 13, 2010 Richard rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with a strong stomach. Sailing enthusiasts.
Recommended to Richard by: I read all Mr. Poyer's work.
This is a chilling tale of evil. Mr. Poyer has the family in this story subjected to incredible experiences while they each were trying to restore their messed up relationships by taking a sailing trip together. Too bad Dad is a totally unprepared sailor.
David Rubin
I am a great fan of David Poyer's Dan Lenson books on naval warfare in the modern era. This book is about a private sailing yacht in a weathy family's first trip out. We learn a lot about sailing and the perils of an ocean voyage. Great read.
Bill
Wow. If I'd known how much violence was in this book I never would have read it. Of course once I got part way through I had to keep going to see how it ended. I learned one thing: ocean sailing is OFF my bucket list for good.
Sally
The story starts out blandly as a wealthy doctor and his family take a sailboat vacation and ends up as a very strong thriller, not for the faint hearted.
Pegi
Thoroughly depressing. Everything awful that can go wrong on a boat trip goes wrong on this one. NOT his best work. Not recommended.
Shelly
I should have read the reviews before I started this book. Way too many technical terms. NOT at all like I expected it to be.
Stacy
Hmmmm.... I'm a bit at a loss for words. When you think things can't get much worse.... they do.
Linda Faulkner
Gripping ... page-turner ... couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting.
Joyce Phillips
family on sailboat going to bermunda incounter problems with lone survior
Genie
Very quick suspenseful read
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Rkpack
Rkpack added it
Feb 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Aka D.C. Poyer.

DAVID CHARLES POYER was born in DuBois, PA in 1949. He grew up in Brockway, Emlenton, and Bradford, in western Pennsylvania, and graduated from Bradford Area High School in 1967. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1971, and later received a master's degree from George Washington University.

Poyer's active and reserve naval service included sea duty in the Atlan
More about David Poyer...
The Med (Dan Lenson, #1) The Circle (Dan Lenson, #3) The Gulf (Dan Lenson, #2) Tomahawk (Dan Lenson, #5) The Passage (Dan Lenson, #4)