Start by marking “Dinosaur Planet (Dinosaur Planet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Planet (Dinosaur Planet, #1)

Dinosaur Planet (Dinosaur Planet #1)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,761 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
THE MISSION

The Exploratory and Evaluation Corps of the Federated Sentient Planets had sent ARCT-10, with its mixed crew of shipbred and planet-bound technicians, to Ireta to catalogue fauna and flora and search for new energy sources. It was a simple mission. A standard crew.

THE PROBLEM

Kai and his beautiful co-leader Varian, the best xenob-vet in the business, followed all
Mass Market Paperback, 202 pages
Published May 12th 1978 by Del Rey (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur Planet

Shawn
Jul 10, 2015 Shawn rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, fantasy
I wanted to like this book more. It has so many fun ideas... a multi-species exploration federation, variants of humans from different types of worlds, prehistoric earth animals placed on an alien planet... the problem is that these ideas don't really shape up to anything.
McCaffrey begins to build the story (admittedly with some jargon thrown in) as a bit of a mystery - odd discoveries and missing equipment and the like. She builds things up quite a bit. Around the middle of the book, I was set
Melissa (ladybug)
Thought I wasn't going to really like this book/series, but it really got better the last few chapters.
Amy
Mar 27, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
I wanted to do some good, old-school fiction, and one can hardly do better than some Anne McCaffrey. Of course everyone knows about her world of Pern, but have you been to Ireta?

A scientific team of explorers go to a new planet to explore and look for ore deposits that make life for this future race of beings possible. They explore planets all over the galaxy looking for metals that these people use to survive. Only this planet, at first, doesn't seem to have anything they are looking for. A bi
Jeneé
Jan 15, 2015 Jeneé rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, dinosaurs
I've read a few other Anne McCaffrey books before and I've never really been able to get into her stories. I decieded to give it another try when I found Dinosaur Planet. I love dinosaurs so I thought it would be a good read. Well I was somewhat dissapointed. There are very minimal dinosaurs and they aren't really that important to the story. The actual story was ok but you can deffinitly tell that this whole book is just a set up to it's sequel "Dinosaur Planet Survivors". Everything that happe ...more
Garrett Calcaterra
Jun 21, 2016 Garrett Calcaterra rated it liked it
A pretty light, fast read. Not McCaffrey's best book. The tension throughout relies on the characters figuring out what's obvious to the readers (i.e. the dinosaurs really are dinosaurs, and the heavy worlders are planning to mutiny). Also, the notion that the heavy worlders are savages in large part because they're not vegetarians seems pretty heavy-handed. Still, it's a fun story, and the ending has a good bit of action. Nothing is resolved, mind you, so if you read it, be ready to jump into t ...more
Coral Davies
Aug 23, 2015 Coral Davies rated it liked it
A very slow start littered with either made up terminology or scientific phrases I was ignorant of. Once the story kicked in it was an enjoyable little read and I raced through it. Not sure if I'll read the second book though.
Douglas Milewski
Jun 21, 2015 Douglas Milewski rated it did not like it
Anne begins1978's Dinosaur Planet with a sawed-off shotgun full of technobabble, firing indiscriminately in all directions. Not satisfied with abusing readers with tedious technical detail on the first page, she continues this neutronium thick technobabble for the next 50 pages, which is 1/4 of the book. The technobabble is so thick that there isn't even any room for a plot, not even the vaporously thin plot of this book.

Somewhere around page 50, the technobabble shots simmer down to a more reas
Kelly Harlan
Apr 16, 2014 Kelly Harlan rated it liked it
Very slow to start. During that time I decided I wasn't going to read the sequel. And then it finally got interesting at the end. And I almost want to read the sequel.
Nov 14, 2015 Jennifer rated it did not like it
I've had this book for a good 20 years or so. I had tried to read it as a kid but don't remember having gotten very far because I didn't care for the author's writing. Now, all these years later I finally read through the book and I still can't get into the author's writing style. I have read one of her Pern books as well in the past and it was the same, I just don't like her writing. I really can't say what it is about it though. I shall be hopefully trading this book in soon and do not plan to ...more
Ron
Jan 28, 2014 Ron rated it liked it
Shelves: science_fiction
Standard sf with a lot of people talking science to each other. Very little personality, description, or characterization so the characters are just names--even gender remains a mystery for some. The conflict takes forever to appear but the story does pick up in the final chapters and then leaves you hanging, eager for the sequel. Interested readers should track down the omnibus edition which contains this and the sequel (DINOSAUR PLANET SURVIVORS) and was published variously as DINOSAUR PLANET ...more
The Fza
I remember liking the ending of this book but found the trope of space explorers going native to have been a little abused here when the squat 'Heavy Worlders' on the human expedition team eat meat and of course regress to violence.

The reason I picked up this book was because I had been reading, and enjoying, The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey and after running across this non-dragonriders book at a little used bookshop in New England I decided to try it.

On the surface this might
Michelle
Dec 22, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I loved the Pern books as a child and young adult and devoured them book by book with enthusiasm. Coming back to Anne McCaffrey's other works as an adult (especially an older one like "Dinosaur Planet") both her strengths and weaknesses as a writer seem to stand out more clearly.

The storyline of Kai and Varian's team as they explore the mysteries of the dinosaur planet is neither action-packed nor particularly suspenseful, but it's entertaining and quirky enough to overcome long passages of dial
Sol González
Después de la serie de libros de dragones, había querido leer más de McCaffrey, así que buscando entre sus libros encontré que este también constaba de una gran saga so... después de mucho tiempo me decidí y lo leí.

En general no sé si mi opinión se debe al autor en sí, al traductor o a la edición, pero los textos se sentían desordenados, tan así que se me dificultaba saber quién hablaba cuando se trataba de dos o mas personajes conversando. Hasta el final del libro no me dí cuenta de que uno de
Brian Schiebout
May 19, 2013 Brian Schiebout rated it liked it
Dinosaur Planet by Anne McCaffrey is the first book set in the Ireta Universe. The book is a science fiction story set far in the future when humanity has joined with many other species to form a galactic society. I however find humanity as represented in this book feels like an alien species to me. As much as it was a popular idea in science fiction of the nineteen seventies that humanity would eventually outgrow our aggressive natures, I believe that the aggressiveness will last for as long as ...more
Holger Haase
I recently came across this interesting blog post about the most prolific Sci-Fi and Fantasy authors of all times. Some of those I was familiar with, some I had heard of before and others were completely new names, yet all of them were known for an amazing body of work (at least quantity wise).

Needless to say just a day after reading this I came across a second hand book of Anne McCaffrey who was mentioned in the "Also Noteworthy" section. So I just had to check this out.

A mixed research team of
Emilie Johansen
Jul 19, 2015 Emilie Johansen rated it it was ok
So very disappointing. It cannot hold a candle to Anne's Pern books. The plot is thin, even for a book of less than 200 pages, and it seems that it came as an afterthought somewhere around page 50. The title so misleading, given that the hapless xenobiologist only realised that she was dealing with dinosaurs at page 150ish, and then the entire mission falls apart as the heavyworlders, unprovoked and poorly explained, decides to kill all others by dino stampede.
I'm not impressed, and I will not
Amanda
Mar 11, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
Timothy Boyd
Jan 26, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was ok
I am a huge fan of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books. This was the first book not of that series I have read by her. I was not impressed at all. The plot seems to sluggishly flow through the story and the characters never seem to grab you. This is stated as the first book in a new series by this author but I won't be buying the rest of the series. Not recommended
Hannah Green
Jul 29, 2011 Hannah Green rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Not my favourite work by the lovely Anne McCaffrey, but still worth the read if you like her stories. Ireta is an interesting world and the mystery surrounding it is intriguing; of course, nothing is answered in this novel. The beginning drags but Anne does a good job of making sure you keep turning the pages with her descriptions of the various flora, fauna and biology of Ireta. The ending is action packed, but presents a frustrating cliffhanger to be sure. My biggest issue was that this book r ...more
Tammy
Mar 01, 2012 Tammy rated it it was ok
Recommended to Tammy by: Amanda
Shelves: science-fiction, own
Kai and Varian lead an expedition to Ireta to study the native fauna and flora and harvest natural resources. The excursion is plagued with oddities from the start. The planet is unexpectedly lacking significant quantities of rich ore, and the combination of the wildlife (like, oh, the dinosaurs) is unlikely to have co-evolved. Furthermore, their reports to the pickup ship have unexpectedly been ignored.

The book was very, very slow and boring until the last quarter. The plot didn't completely ma
Belle
Jun 16, 2015 Belle rated it really liked it
This is a great book intended as YA. Truely, it reads like YA but is such a fun book to read. Colonization of a new planet, mutiny, dinosaur-like creatures...what more could you want?
DianeG
May 03, 2015 DianeG rated it really liked it
The science is dated, but I love the thought of dinosaurs being transplanted to another world. This was one of my favorite books 30 years ago and I enjoyed it just as much rereading it today.
kat
Jan 04, 2015 kat rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This is literally one of the most boring books I have ever read. It wasn't even bad in an amusing way, just really really dull.
Tressa
I didn’t finish reading The Dinosaur Planet because I wasn’t able to connect to the characters or their situation.
Cherry Burrows
Jan 29, 2013 Cherry Burrows rated it liked it
WARNING: This book ends with a cliff-hanger...

So, this book is a futuristic exploration novel. Kai and Varian are co-leaders on an expedition looking for fuel sources on other planets. Only this planet, Ireta, is odd. And their messages aren't being picked up by EV (the bosses, so to speak). And the heavy-worlders are acting strange. And dinosaurs are running around. And then it all ends with a cliff-hanger.

It was a lovely book, to be honest. Kind of slow in beginning. In fact, it only really p
Christopher Bashforth
My wife bought me this as a surprise present, knowing that I have been fascinated by dinosaurs since I was about 8 years old and the fascination continues as an adult; the “Walking with Dinosaurs” DVD is my favourite documentary. However, I took a while to get into this book as thought the writing was a little too technical. However, even though the story was written 30 years ago, the technology still seems relevant. Towards the end of the book the plotline changed to become more like “Lord of t ...more
Christy
This is an entertaining adventure story. It is mostly setup for what will be the next book in the series, however, and as such leaves a lot of things way up in the air at its conclusion. Furthermore, the detail that is revealed in the title of the book itself is not revealed in the text until nearly the end of chapter nine, is treated as a mystery throughout the text, and then is completely dropped for the final three chapters.

All that said, if you enjoy dinosaurs, adventure and exploration sto
Bassett Helen
Feb 07, 2015 Bassett Helen rated it liked it
I read this years ago. I enjoy all the books written by Anne McCaffrey.
Kest Schwartzman
Sep 08, 2014 Kest Schwartzman rated it did not like it
I bought this because I thought that it would be either half decent, or hilariously bad. It was neither. It read as though McCaffrey had a deadline, forgot about it, remembered the night before the book was due, started writing, got frustrated, opened a bottle of scotch, kept writing until morning getting drunker and drunker as she progressed, saw the sun rise, said F-this, and just sent it to the publisher half finished with the lamest ending ever.

Plus- Tardma? Tardma as the name of a kinda bu
Gerd
May 09, 2011 Gerd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it was Michael Bay who said in an interview that it’s the last ten minutes of your movie that decide its success, reading this book reminded me of that.

Personally I found the story hard to get into, over the first thirty to fifty pages I felt like there had to be a book before that, one I’ve must somehow missed, but the flow gets better the further you get eventhough the feeling of something missing remains. However, the novel does build up to a nice showdown that, to use more of Bay’s
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Hunters of the Red Moon
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The People of Pern
  • The Exile Waiting
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • The Avatar
  • Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)
  • Quicksilver's Knight (Warlock's Heirs, #2)
  • Nor Crystal Tears (Humanx Commonwealth, #9)
  • The Best of Frederik Pohl
  • Reap the Wild Wind (Stratification, #1)
  • Rider at the Gate (Finisterre: The Nighthorses, #1)
  • Tower of Glass
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Dinosaur Planet (2 books)
  • Dinosaur Planet Survivors (Dinosaur Planet, #2)