Start by marking “The Year Of The Lucy” as Want to Read:
The Year Of The Lucy

The Year Of The Lucy

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  424 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The illegitimate daughter of a glamorous concert singer and a rakish, celebrated portrait painter, Mirelle Martin has spent mostof her adult life trying to conform to the standards of middle-class suburbia. Denying her artistic heritage and largely ignoring her own great gift as a sculptress, she has devoted herself to being a wife to Steve and a mother to Tonia, Nick and ...more
Published 1986 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Year Of The Lucy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year Of The Lucy

Connie
Dec 23, 2012 Connie rated it liked it
Mirelle Martin is a wife and mother trying to balance her domestic life with her creative life as a sculptress. She also has to assert herself with her domineering mother-in-law who is upset that her son married the illegitimate daughter of an opera singer and a portrait painter.

"The Lucy" is a sculpture of her deceased friend, Lucy, who encouraged Mirelle to develop her artistic talent. Mirelle becomes a stronger person as she looks beyond her roles of wife and mother during an eventful year. I
Sharron
Sep 07, 2014 Sharron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have thoroughly read and enjoyed all on Anne McCaffrey's "Pern" series. Her "The Year of the Lucy" is quite different. Her character, Mirelle, is a loving wife & mother with "baggage" of her past attached. It was a good read.

I'm sorry, I don't give good reviews.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember reading this story and thought, I like it better when Ms. McCaffrey writes sci-fi. I'm not as fond of the romances. This one wasn't something I liked so much. I think it's because I was young and idealistic. The middle age crisis scared me. What scared me more was how Mirelle lost herself as a wife and mother. It made me question, why would a woman ever want to marry and have kids? This was one of the books which convinced me getting married is worse than death for a woman.
Sharon
Jan 29, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the one McCaffrey book that I didn't own. I didn't even know it existed until I came across it in the San Francisco library. It is one of her few straight fiction novels. Set in New England, it features a middle-aged artist who faces a crisis in her marriage. Just re-read it. Much more apt to a mother, than it was when I read it as a single girl. Somehow, I didn't realize it was set in 1961 the first time I read it.
Ellie
Apr 08, 2016 Ellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the years, Mirelle Martin has allowed herself to be bullied into suppressing her artistic nature, her lovingly- and-skillfully done sculptures. Her once love-filled marriage is now exhausting, and Mirelle tends to arrange her life around her children. However, she is about to meet new people who somewhat knowingly and somewhat unknowingly send her life into a tailspin which just might set it straight again.
Janell
Dec 03, 2013 Janell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a favorite author but this book was just too dated for me. Infidelity and abuse was the accepted norm for the husbands with the wives accepting this as completely normal. After all, men just can't help themselves. (sigh) 1 1/2 stars
Theresa
Feb 28, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
The Year of the Lucy
McCaffrey, Anne
a love story, from one of the best authors in the world, it was a fiction story in modern times, a total divergent from the science fiction that she was known for.
Celina and Don
May 10, 2011 Celina and Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Mj
Mj added it
Apr 09, 2016
Leonie
Leonie rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
M.J.
M.J. added it
Mar 27, 2016
PATRICIA
PATRICIA marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
B. Coenen
B. Coenen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Eliana
Eliana rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Kitty Kirkendall
Kitty Kirkendall rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Lynne
Lynne added it
Mar 03, 2016
Dad
Dad marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
M
M rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Karolyn
Karolyn marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Jamie
Jamie is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Beckee Carrier
Beckee Carrier marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Heather Hile
Heather Hile rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Helen White
Helen White rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Carl H Spitzer
Carl H Spitzer rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The People of Pern
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Mountain Magic
  • Flights of Fantasy
  • The Stormy Petrel
  • 2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers
  • Stranger at the Wedding (Windrose Chronicles #4)
  • The Warmasters
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...