Start by marking “Semi-Tough” as Want to Read:
Semi-Tough

Dan Jenkins

Semi-Tough

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  661 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Made into a hilarious and timeless film starring Burt Reynolds, Kris Kristofferson, and Jill Clayburgh, and recently named number seven on Sports Illustrated's Top 100 Sports Books of All Time, Semi-Tough is Dan Jenkins's masterpiece and considered by many to be the funniest sports book ever written. The novel follows the outsize adventures of Billy Clyde Puckett, star hal ...more
Published June 1st 1973 by Signet (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Semi-Tough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Semi-Tough

Wally8541
I've read this book before. Dan Jenkins is one of my favorite authors. The book club I just joined asked me to pick the next book and I couldn't resist. Very off-color, completely politically incorrect, and one of the funniest books ever written. Hope somebody likes it or I may never get to pick a book again. :-)

Finished. I am still amazed at how I laugh at this book. Jenkins humour is just hilarious to me. Part of it is the way he understands how athletes talk and act. I know that this book is
Chris
I like Dan Jenkins. As a budding sportswriter growing up near Fort Worth, I found it impossible not to. He's funny, insightful and he's forgotten more about golf and football than most people learn in a lifetime. I'll be reading his tweets from the British Open this weekend, no doubt.

That's why it absolutely pains me to pan this book. Maybe I'm just being prudish. Maybe I've become oversensitive. Maybe I didn't live through the free-wheeling late '60s and early '70s and just don't get it. But to
Al
This book, published in 1972, is to pro football what "Animal House" was to college life. A way over the top look at the off-the-field life of NFL players, as exemplified by the fictional Giant stars Billy Clyde Puckett and "Shake" Tiller, and their teammates, girlfriends and other acquaintances. Setting his novel in the week leading up to the Super Bowl, to be played against the "dog*** Jets" in Los Angeles, Mr. Jenkins manages to send up every participating constituency. The language, situati ...more
David Feinman
Any doubts that we carry vestigial DNA evidence of sexual relations between humans and Neanderthals (known at the time as "doin' the nasty") may be quickly dispelled by reading SEMI-TOUGH.
Lydia Blue
Dec 05, 2013 Lydia Blue rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those definitely not easily offended
Recommended to Lydia by: Saw the horrible movie verion one drunken night and then out of curiosity got the book at the library
I love Goodreads, but their description of the film version of this book as "timeless and hilarious" is WAY wrong. It may be timeless, only because it's possibly one of the worst films ever made. I noticed Dan Jenkins' name wasn't even in the beginning credits. Out of morbid curiosity I got the book. I was pleasantly surprised to find it NOTHING like the movie. A semi-hilarious romp through the NFL in a totally different era than we have now. Billy Clyde Puckett and his buddies on the New York G ...more
Carolyn
When I first heard of this book I was told how hilarioulsy funny it was. I was told it was 'a first person account of the NFL.' I am a football fan so I suckered in.

Yes, it was told in the first person, but the style was rambling to the point of incoherence and the text looked as if it had never seen the pencil of the editor.

As for the 'humor'? It was entirely too coarse and vulgar for my tastes. Funny? NOT.
Rscarff
Semi-Tough is the funniest book I have read in a long time, if not ever. It's kind of the Texan Clockwork Orange. I realize the comparison is a pretentious reach, but there is a shared originality of language and subversiveness that I felt more than once.

Fair warning - this book is not for prudes. If you're not laughing at something by the second page, you should probably put it down. It only gets worse.
David
Semi-Tough by Dan Jenkins (Da Capo Press 1972)(Fiction). This is an uproarious novel about three best friends, two of whom are totally irreverent pro football stars. Jenkins creates unforgettable characters to be teammates. When I was fourteen, I thought this was the funniest book ever written. Great memories. My rating: 7/10, finished 1972.
Robert
This was a major disappointment.
Was it funny? Hell no.
Was it racist? Yes.
Was it sexist? Yes.
Was it homophobic? Yes.
Was it an interesting football story? Not really.
Was it predictable? It was completely predictable.
This book would make a good substitute for toilet paper.
No stars for me.
Mark Loring
Funny (Ok raunchy) politically incorrect stuff here...probably won't make Oprah's Book Club.
Jennie
An enjoyable piece of football fiction. Definitely a bit dated, but fun to read. If you're in the mood for something that will keep you entertained, don't want to think to hard, and like football, check this book out. A good travel book to occupy stopovers, plane trips and hotel time.
Ed
Great literature? Maybe not. Great and original entertainment? Yes definitely. Politically correct? Not for a second! Read the original scale for rating women from one to ten based on their looks. My friends and I have been laughing over this book for over forty years!!!
Chandler
Great, quick read. Similar to the writing of Peter Gent, provides a semi-fictional tale of what it is like to be a pro football player, not so much on the field, but in the private, free swinging life. By the way, the movie of the same name is vastly different from this book.
Owen
Very funny. Takes you inside the lives of football stars in the 80's without holding back. The language is certainly offensive, but that's part of making a period piece; you can't sanitize it, it was the way it was and to try to change it is dishonest. A great story.
Chris Gager
I don't remember it much which isn't a good sign. For some reason the writer and director of the film chose to focus on New Agey hocus pocus like Est(Beat), Rolfing("Pelfing")and "Moviegenics" instead of football. Why? Ask them. Date read is a guess.
Robert
Utterly foul-mouthed (even by today's looser standards) and utterly hilarious while being completely politically incorrect. Don't read this if you are easily offended by any indelicate discussion of race religion or gender.
Tret
best locker room humor i ever read,,,,1st book to make me laugh out loud,,,,,,next was hitchikers guide,,,,,,,read during the week of 5 of 6 steeler super bowl wins,,,,CAN'T FIND IT AGAIN,,,,HELP
Dean Brodhag
I thought it would be more about sports in the Sports Illustrated tradition. Not. Some good one liners and small set pieces but NOT a book to lose time over. I watched the movie and it was worse.
Ryan
Read it if dated bigotry, photos from the movie included, and one sentence paragraphs do it for you.
Robby
Jul 25, 2012 Robby rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Football Fans
Shelves: sports
Read this a good while back.Really enjoyed it for its' local flavor, being from Fort Worth. Still a fun read.
Emily
Funny, smart, very early seventies- free love, Vietnam, and prickly NFL racial politics.
Rb Tolar
If Mark Twain had written about pro-football, this is the book he would have written!!!
Joel
Low brow sports pulp. Gotta love it. Liked his rating system for wool.
Comicallyhip
The best sports book hands down, and probably the funniest book since Catch-22.
David
You don't have to be football fan to be entertained by this. Great fun!
Sands Hetherington
Probably the all-time American comic sports classic.
Sara Haenes
Hilarious, especially if you like football.
Chris King
One of the funniest books I've read.
Ita
hilarious! must read!
Great book, easy read... 2 14 Jan 03, 2013 09:19PM
  • North Dallas Forty
  • Instant Replay: The Green Bay Diary of Jerry Kramer
  • About Three Bricks Shy: And The Load Filled Up
  • A False Spring
  • Paper Lion: Confessions of a Last-String Quarterback
  • The Junction Boys: How 10 Days in Hell with Bear Bryant Forged a Champion Team
  • The Best Game Ever: Giants vs. Colts, 1958, and the Birth of the Modern NFL
  • Johnny U: The Life and Times of John Unitas
  • The Lords of the Realm
  • Levels of the Game
  • A Few Seconds of Panic: A 5-Foot-8, 170-Pound, 43-Year-Old Sportswriter Plays in the NFL
  • The Harder They Fall
  • The City Game: Basketball from the Garden to the Playgrounds
  • Loose Balls: The Short, Wild Life of the American Basketball Association
  • The Glory of Their Times: The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It
  • Barrier Island
  • The Mouse That Roared (The Mouse That Roared, #1)
  • Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times
Dan Jenkins is an American author and sportswriter, most notably for Sports Illustrated.

Jenkins was born and raised in Fort Worth, Texas, where he attended R .L. Paschal High School and Texas Christian University (TCU), where he played on the varsity golf team. Jenkins has worked for many publications including the Fort Worth Press, Dallas Times Herald, Playboy, and Sports Illustrated. In 1985 he
More about Dan Jenkins...
Dead Solid Perfect Baja Oklahoma Life Its Ownself You Gotta Play Hurt The Money-Whipped Steer-Job Three-Jack Give-Up Artist