Godless: The Church of Liberalism

Godless: The Church of Liberalism

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  2,332 ratings  ·  316 reviews
"If a martian landed in America and set out to determine the nation's official state religion, he would have to conclude it is liberalism, while Christianity and Judaism are prohibited by law.

Many Americans are outraged by liberal hostility to traditional religion. But as Ann Coulter reveals in this, her most explosive book yet, to focus solely on the Left's attacks on our...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published June 6th 2006 by Random House Audio (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Godless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Godless

Stephen
When it comes to politics…I despise BOTH political parties. I’m an equal opportunity hater, and I think the whole lot are terminally infected with greedy, contemptible, hypocritical scumbagginess.
Jesus FU

About the only thing I detest more than the politicians themselves, are the self-appointed, idiotic, partisan flamethrowers who have nothing...NOTHING...to contribute to the discussion of real issues facing the country. It's all just vitriol, sound-byte platitudes and ceaseless aggression.

They could...more
Kate
This is quite possibly the most disgusting work ever written or published.

Republicans should be ashamed to even have someone like Ann Coulter in their party. The book makes nothing but personal attacks to demean the Democratic Party and make Liberalism look like devil worship. If being liberal is that bad and wanting freedom from religion is so terrible, maybe Ann is the one who doesn’t belong in America: the nation built on Religious freedom and choice.
Georgia
Sep 25, 2007 Georgia rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone you hate
If I could punch one person in the world right in the face, it would definitely be Ann Coulter. She is a crazy, racist bitch. Also, the book sucked in case you were wondering.
Manny
I once spent about half an hour at a Palo Alto bookstore leafing through this. Friends often tease me about my willingness to read anything, but it literally made me feel ill. I'm trying to recall other things I've come across that have had a similar effect. The only one I can come up with right now is Wikipedia's description of the notorious viral video 2 Girls 1 Cup. I would guess that I'm less likely to watch that than I am to finish Godless, but it's close.

It's very sad to consider that the...more
Wifey
Mar 26, 2008 Wifey rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who liked The Da Vinci Code
This book is about as accurate as The Da Vinci Code, and it would be really offensive if it wasn't so hilarious. Mostly because it's funny when you glimpse the inner workings of the severely mentally handicapped. I heard some strange things when I taught special ed., but nothing comes close to the fantasy world Ann Coulter thinks she lives in. But what do I know, I'm a woman.
Maggie
The really ironic part? She thinks (and says this aloud, mind you) that people don't take her seriously because she's beautiful. Really, Ann? I thought it was because you were ridiculous.
David Simonetti
If you like unbridled opinion with a nasty and sarcastic twist this is the book to read. After hearing all the denounciations of the book, I had to read it and I thoroughly enjoyed, particularly the attack on the New Jersey widows. But not only that, Ann clearly makes a strong argument that liberals have created their own religion, which is why they are so hostile towards other form of organized religion. If there is anything that bothers the Left more than anything is when the masses turn to or...more
Ashleigh
My very first Ann Coulter book...I find her outrageously hilarious. If I had more guts I'd be as outspoken as she is. Her books, including this one, are generally self-absorbed and depreciative of anyone not a conservative, but therein lies the humor. Liberals take themselves way too seriously...Coulter takes advantage of their sensitive feelings and uses their public outrage to fuel her own popularity and book sales. Smart woman.
Robert Beveridge

Ann Coulter, Godless: The Church of Liberalism (Crown, 2006)

I would like to be able to review Ann Coulter's newest tome, Godless: The Church of Liberalism, fairly. However, I find myself unable to do so because Coulter's entire premise is a ludicrous, but increasingly common, fallacy: the equation of conservatism with orthodox religion (specifically, in this case, Christianity, though I've often heard Joe Lieberman, an orthodox Jew, described as conservative as well). I'm not sure how this odd d...more
Justin
Same old same old from our favorite horse faced ultra conservative Ann Coulter. When she's not shrieking the usual conservative rhetoric (liberal want to kill babies, outlaw Christianity, force mass gay marriages etc...) she's accusing liberal of betraying the nation, colluding with Communists and plotting the downfall of the USA. I'm not sure what's worse, that people actually like this garbage or having to look at that grotesquery on the cover.
David Cox
Jul 24, 2007 David Cox rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hillary clinton
Coulter's brash, irreverent style would make her a cultural icon if she were on the left. But even liberals ready to bust a gasket over her views will not be able to hold back a laugh now and then.
Nandakishore Varma
It should be titled "Brainless" - more apt in the case of Ann Coulter.

Whew! I didn’t think I would survive the ordeal of reading this book.

Ann Coulter is a prominent right-wing media personality in America. However, it is not her conservative views which get her attention: it is the outright hatred she has for the “other”, and the purposefully rude way in which she expresses her opinion, that does it. Liberals hate her, and she revels in it.

I read this book to see whether Ann is as black as she’...more
Books Ring Mah Bell
complete and utter poo. the reason she's so damn stupid is that she's obviously undernourished. Get that woman a cheeseburger- STAT!
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways

Like her view of gawd isn't the problem with the world today.
Terry Check
Mar 27, 2007 Terry Check rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wishes to know the other side
Shelves: politics
It was very...interesting. As a democrat and a liberal, I wanted to find out what fuels the other side. As content goes, it was very poor, as she made blanket statements and backed up her work with only a few examples which could be easily refuted. Her arguements were devoid of logic, not due to content but due to the way she argued. A high school debater could have made her book look like a fool.
Kelly
Nov 26, 2008 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Republicans, conservatives, or open-minded individuals ONLY
Recommended to Kelly by: A friend
This one is pretty simple: If you are conservative, Republican, or extremely open-minded, you MIGHT like it...If you're Democrat or a liberal, you're going to hate it...but for God's sake, I hate reading reviews were someone didn't even READ the entire book. I read it from cover to cover.

Ann Coulter has a really snarky sense of humor that can come off as condescending and annoying, sometimes. The reason why some conservatives tolerate her is because when she's funny, she's hysterical, but when s...more
Lisa
Coulter carefully and systematically lays out her idea that liberalism rejects the idea of God and reviles people of faith, but liberalism bears all the attributes of a religion. Coulter reveals the Church of Liberalism, showing its sacraments (abortion), its holy writ (Roe v. Wade), its martyrs (from Soviet spy Alger Hiss to cop-killer Mumia Abu-Jamal), its clergy (public school teachers), its churches (government schools, where prayer is prohibited but condoms are free), its doctrine of infal...more
Brandt
Jul 18, 2008 Brandt rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chilly campers near a waning campfire, Russians low on toilet paper
Not much merit here. Mostly hate mongering. The beligerence is about the level of something you'd expect from someone who'd been recently raped by a Communist dachshund. But I guess it's a step up from the garbled incoherence that she usually tries to spew around her mouth full of Rovely manhood.
Sandra James
What can I say. I love Ann Coulter. If you can take the tongue-in-cheek sarcasm as just that--sarcasm, Ann's arguements are worth the effort. Great read. I couldn't put it down until I had finished it.
Anthony
Apr 26, 2008 Anthony rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who REALLY wants to know what the whole conservative v. liberal debate is all about
Ok, so I love Ann Coulter, I’ve said it. Abrasive and politically incorrect in the extreme, she calls it like she sees it and, if you can get past her confrontational style to her message, she is usually right on the money. (no pun intended…) This is the best of her myriad books and plainly elucidates the core values (or lack thereof) in the ongoing conservative v. liberal philosophical debate. You really ought to read this book, even if you think you can’t stand the author. You may discover tha...more
Noelle
Although some of the things she says are a little caustic, I thought it was informative. The democrats are very against teaching Christianity in schools, but they have replaced it with their own religion and set of values. Instead of teaching creationism, they demand teaching evolution (which many atheistic scientist agree is not supported by scientific evidence.) There were a lot of other things that were worth reading.
Bob Pratt
Jan 02, 2008 Bob Pratt rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people I hate
Shelves: total-crap
I got this book for free, otherwise I would never had read it. It is the most B.S. book I have ever seen. Little evidence, wild accusations, and spitefull attacks on anyone who doesn't share her viewpoints. Needless to say I left my copy by my toilet, in case I run out of T.P..
Regina Doman
Really enjoyed it, but I am a fan. I knew all the basics of the material Coulter covers (what conservative religious person isn't familiar with the usual attacks?) but I *still* learned something new and still found myself riveted. Preaching to the choir, maybe, but enjoyable!
Todd
"I'm a Christian first, and a mean-spirited, bigoted conservative second, and don't you ever forget it. You know who else was kind of "divisive" in terms of challenging the status quo and the powers-that-be of his day? Jesus Christ."
— Ann Coulter (If Democrats had Any Brains, They'd be Republicans)

Even though I never agree with Ann Coulter I used to at least think she was intelligent. She passed the bar exam right? But, after reading Godless: the Church of Liberalism I take that back. This is...more
Travis
Liberalism is a religion, and a whacked out one at that, but conservatism is a rational school of thought?
name calling is humor and/ or political commentary?

and what's up with Ann's hate for the 9-11 widows? How very Christian of her and compassionate conservative of her.

I'm really baffled what the appeal of this woman is.

Andrew
Complete garbage. A book packed with name calling and absurd generalizations. Even from a conservative perspective this book is best passed over.
Marvin
Oct 17, 2009 Marvin rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely no one
Shelves: non-fiction
Giving another one star review to Ann Coulter''s Godless is probably just another example of sadistic sodomistic necrophilia (that's beating a dead horse) yet anything to lower the general review rating to a more realistic level (like...maybe...one) should be appreciated.

Bottom line. Coulter reveals herself in this book to be petty, vicious, totally devoid of any real ability to understand anything of a scientific nature, and totally unwilling to have an open mind about anything outside her own...more
D. B.
I read this book specifically because I disagree so strongly with some of the things that come out of Coulter's mouth, and I wanted to know why I felt that way. What I came away with was a greater understanding on how we perceive and interpret information depending on which "side" we're on. While Coulter isn't dumb, and she's obviously done her homework on the issues in the book, she's still a bully who revels in cheap shots and beating a dead horse. Godless is little more than a three-hundred p...more
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • Power to the People
  • Arrogance: Rescuing America From The Media Elite
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • America Alone: The End of the World As We Know It
  • Fleeced: How Barack Obama, Media Mockery of Terrorist Threats, Liberals Who Want to Kill Talk Radio, the Do-Nothing Congress, Companies That Help Iran, and Washington Lobbyists for Foreign Governments Are Scamming Us...and What to Do About It
Ann Coulter is the author of seven New York Times bestsellers — Guilty: Liberal Victims and Their Assault on America (January 2009);If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans (October, 2007); Godless: The Church of Liberalism (June 2006); How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)(October, 2004); Treason: Liberal Treachery From the Cold War to the War on Terrorism (June 2003); Slander: Liberal...more
More about Ann Coulter...
How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The World According to Ann Coulter Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right Guilty: Liberal "Victims" and Their Assault on America Demonic: How the Liberal Mob is Endangering America

“No matter what argument you make against evolution, the response is Well, you know, it's possible to believe in evolution and believe in God. Yes, and it's possible to believe in Spiderman and believe in God, but that doesn't prove Spiderman is true.” 42 likes
“The New York Times and the rest of the mainstream media will only refer to partial birth abortion as 'what its opponents refer to as partial birth abortions.' What do its supporters call it? Casual Fridays? Bean-with-bacon potato chip dip? Uh . . . Steve?” 9 likes