Start by marking “Altogether, One at a Time” as Want to Read:
Altogether, One at a Time

Altogether, One at a Time

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  19 reviews

Good and bad. Everything is good and bad. Nothing is ever all of one or all of the other. Which is not exactly the way most people like it.

Take Stanley's birthday party. It would have been just great if it hadn't been for Jason. He was Stanley's mother's idea. She insisted on Jason because Stanley had been to his party. But being at a party doesn't mean being with it. Jaso

Published March 1st 1971 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Altogether, One at a Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Altogether, One at a Time

Jez Layman
Inviting Jason - a cute story, but I was disappointed that the MC didn't seem to learn anything. Also, I don't believe Konigsburg gave an accurate portrayal of dyslexia. As someone with dyslexia, I was a little insulted by what she had written. I realize she was trying to show that kids with dyslexia aren't bad...but it came off as her showing that kids with dyslexia are very, very different from other kids, like aliens, and that they couldn't think clearly.

The Night of the Leonids - I liked thi
Frances
Four short stories narrated by children in the mid-twentieth century. Memorable prose and ambiguous, sometimes unsettling endings.
Ellice
I first read these four short stories, each illustrated by a different person (including Mercer Mayer), as a child, but reread them as an adult. To an adult, the morality lessons maybe seem a bit too blunt, but I think for a child they are exactly as unsubtle as they need to be--proof being that I remembered them well after decades. Get your kids reading this book so they, too, can take these lessons into their adult life.
Lesley
I still remember everything about this book: how I acquired it, how I felt while I was reading it, how I felt about it after, how I read it again, and how I gave it to my nephew and he lost it, and now it's gone. This is one of those small books filled with pure joy. The stories are wonderful and each one will haunt you and come to mind at the oddest times. I'm going to have to buy another copy now to replace my old one!
Karen GoatKeeper
There are four separate stories in the book. Each is complete yet not. Each gives much to think about.
This would be a great book to read with a child to start a conversation about growing up, how to think about others, how to think about oneself. It's a good starting point to look at personal values and views.
Robert
Not as good as the incredibly excellent and much-read "From the mixed up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" which I remember frondly from my childhood, perhaps more age appropriate than "The Second Mrs. Giaconda," which I can recommend to grown-ups. A bit didactic and moralistic, but just worth reading -- in particular "Camp Fat," and the author's note inside the back cover.
Malia
This is an odd set of short stories. They are like adult fiction short stories, where it's often not as much about plot but more about a setting, a time, a mood, one idea, something like that. I didn't read it as a kid, but the concept is pretty mature even if the language is kid-friendly.
Judie
Snippets from the point of view of children; impressionable ones, with each experience telling them something about growing up and life in general. I liked it a lot because it made me look back at the time when I was young as the children in the short stories.
Tory
I liked Kongisburg's short stories: simple narratives, simple morals, deeper observations about human relationships. Good for elementary school or adults; middle grade readers would be bored.
Ron
My son continues reading through E. L. Konigsburg. This was an interesting collection of 4 diverse short stories.
Megan
This book has four short stories in it, that each talks about four diffent children learning different life lessons.
Mckinley
4 short stories with something to think about in each one. All very different.
Melissa
A teeny-tiny book, and (alas) not super-memorable ten months later.
Mr. Pruden
A quick, entertaining collection of short stories.
Kelly
i love EL Konigsburg, but this one was a little strange...
Hazim
Not her best book, kinda of clear
Flannery
E.L. Konigsburg Weeks 2012, Book 8.
Diane Baima
Diane Baima is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2015
Chloe
Chloe added it
Aug 25, 2015
Amelia
Amelia added it
Aug 09, 2015
Absala
Absala marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Karen Bessin
Karen Bessin marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Allison Boudreau
Allison Boudreau marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
  • Black and Blue Magic
  • Horrible Harry's Secret
  • Park's Quest
  • The Voyage of the Frog
  • Anastasia, Absolutely (Anastasia Krupnik, #9)
  • The Pain and the Great One
  • A Drop Of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder
Elaine Lobl Konigsburg was an American author and illustrator of children's books and young adult fiction. She was the only author to win the Newbery Medal and a Newbery Honor in the same year (1968), with her second and first books respectively: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth. Kongisburg won a second Newbery ...more
More about E.L. Konigsburg...
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler The View from Saturday Silent to the Bone The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth