Start by marking “Gale Force (Weather Warden, #7)” as Want to Read:
Gale Force (Weather Warden, #7)

Gale Force (Weather Warden #7)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  5,516 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin is on vacation when her Djinn lover, David, asks Joanne to marry him. She's thrilled to say yes, even if some others may be less than happy about it.
Unfortunately, Joanne's pre-marital bliss is ended by a devastating earthquake in Florida. And she can't ask David and his kind for assistance. Because the cause of the quake is unlike anything J
Published August 1st 2008 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Gale Force, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gale Force

Felicia
Aug 09, 2008 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy Fans
I love love love this series. This book had a lame storyline about the media (read it and you'll know what I'm talking about ) but I just can't get enough of these characters and this world. The writing is so good, the main character so believable and interesting, even the cheesier romance parts are fun to bite into. I <3 it!
Kogiopsis
Dec 20, 2015 Kogiopsis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Call this 2.5 stars, rounded up out of fondness.

This book starts out awkwardly in the context of the series: its predecessor ended on a major crisis needing to be resolved, and by Gale Force that entire crisis has just... evaporated. It reads like it's been retconned completely out of existence, because no one so much as mentions it: not the switching of the magnetic poles the protagonists were trying to prevent, not the historic four-way collaboration they brought together to make it work. This
AH
Wow. I am really enjoying this series. If you have not yet had a chance, Rachel Caine's Weather Wardens series is a unique urban fantasy series to read. The Weather Wardens are an agency that controls and dissipates storm systems and attempts to reduce the damage caused by storms. The Weather Wardens do this with the assistance of powerful djinns.

I think that what I love about this series is that it is so original. The Weather Wardens have a magical ability to see things in the aetheric, so the
Susana
2,5 stars

I hadn't read a Weather Warden book in a while now. I went to verificate that, and it turns out that i read Thin Air in the distant month of September 2012.

And back then i remember loving it( my reviews say so..)...so i guess i should have read this series in one sitting...
..because, now, i really had a hard time caring for what the character had to went through in this story.
And it always ends with a cliffhanger of some sort, doesn't?? Arghhh....

Trying to contain the rant...*deep brea
Gail
Jan 12, 2010 Gail rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This story was pretty good, until the end. I really dislike the hopeless endings Caine puts on these stories every now and again. This was one of them. In this story, the demon that put the mark on Joanne, the heroine, in a very early book, comes back and causes trouble for everybody. The djinn are quarreling amongst themselves. Joanne's love David has a new job that puts barriers up between them. And then everything goes straight to patooey. Stuff can get really bad in the middle of the book, b ...more
Li
Apr 30, 2011 Li rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Li by: Deciding whether to finish the Weather Wardens series
I really liked the Weather Wardens series way back when, but stopped reading because of the [insert adjective of choice here] cliffhanger endings, which I completely detest. Now that Rachel Caine's finished writing the series though, I decided to borrow GALE FORCE from the library and see whether I wanted to continue reading the books.

GALE FORCE was a quick read, but nothing out of the ordinary IMO. I like how Joanne and David's strong relationship was portrayed, but the story-telling itself was
HeyT
Apr 23, 2013 HeyT rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In all honesty I don't know why I'm still reading these except that I'm hoping eventually there will be a conclusion satisfactory or not. Yet another episode of characters acting crazy and other soapy twists and turns. I'm finding it harder to accept some of David's decisions and motivations. Also, the way the magic works in this world seems like it is constantly changing and that the core rules we were given at the beginning have been drastically changed to suit the need of the story. There's m ...more
Aparna
Mar 17, 2013 Aparna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff
Definitely my least favorite so far. Joanne is impulsive and incredibly reckless, and yet other people continue to defer to her opinion. Almost all of her solutions end up in death or massive destruction of property.

Only two more left to go, and I'll likely finish them off out of sheer curiosity to see if Caine can bring the quality back up.
Gillian Murrell
Not as good as some of the other books it just didn't have the suspense they had. Jo does a lot of shopping in this book, I won't say why as it will spoil it. A new evil is on the horizon and the wardens are under threat of being exposed to the general public.
Kathryn
May 12, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, you poor souls who picked up Ill Wind and have read each book as it was released.
My favorites of urban fantasy: The Hallows, Sookie, Mercy, and now Weather Warden. Am I embarassed to say that I am seeing a big trend? Hell no! So all of the women are bitchy and the men run the gambit because there are just too many wonderful men to choose from:) Ahhh, who will win. Adam, Eric, David...David wins. Oh alright, a tie between Eric and David.
This is the perfect series for me. Tons of action, swe
Wesley
This was so-so for me. I mean no questions asked you need to have the next book ready after this one. There wasn’t much closure so-to-speak, the entire thing just felt thin. Sort of reapting in a completion villain sort of way with new names for the bad guys.

If you are this far in, you’ve gotten enough enjoyment out of the series that one cannot really complain about this portion of it. I’m not either; it was enjoyable, just severely predictable (for me, maybe not you). I like being surprised o
Liz
Jan 14, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: para-norm, uf
Another exciting installment in the Weather Warden series. Joanne is her usual bad ass, butt kicking self. Saving the world and preserving the balance of all things on Earth. The best part? She does it all while planning her wedding to her hot, sexy Djinn boyfriend David! I'm already looking forward to book 8!
Lunasea
Rachel Caine's books have one problem with them, whether they are Weather Warden or Morganville Vampire. When I buy books, I enter into a contract with the author. They get my money and time, and I get a complete story with a beginning, middle and end. Very few of Rachel's books have actual endings. Cape Storm isn't out until August. I need that book NOW!
Joy
I've been doing a marathon with these books. They read as one story with the good old cliffhanger at the end so it's nice to have the all done at once. Light entertainment with mild romance although the author's been getting more daring as she progresses with the love affair and they are a bit dated so probably the graphic sex was not the norm when she started this series.
Karen
Oct 13, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been so many ups and downs in Joanne's life, so many that I don't know how one person can survive them all. And this book had some wonderfully happy moments, but there was also a lot of pain. And Joanne and David are in a situation now that looks like there might not be a way out or a happy ending. Definitely a series to keep me on the edge of my seat.
Hanna
Aug 18, 2008 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot, as I do all of hers. I was a little annoyed with the ending, it seemed a bit rushed and then just ended in the middle of things. Which is typical of Rachel but still seemed a bit sudden.
Isabella
Aug 08, 2016 Isabella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put the book the down, specially near the end. So much pain in this book. I have no idea where this series is going...
Danielle
Okay... hopefully I can make it through this segment without any hiccups! the last two updates aren't even close to what I typed. and one was duplicated when I wrote a seriously kickass review. ugh...modern technologically is a major p.i.t.a. sometimes!

Well... I was going to type something good and witty but duty calls and I have to bounce...

just know that if you're entertaining the thought of reading this series...do yourself a favor...start at book one, don't be a skimmer, and don't blink. if
Lora Tihomirova
Nov 13, 2016 Lora Tihomirova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I have no idea how this woman manages to make such huge books - I don't mean it as volume, but as stories. It just gets bigger and bigger and I have no idea where she'll go from here for two more books.
Kerris
Nov 17, 2016 Kerris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pro me tahle serie nejak uz ztratila sve kouzlo... prijde mi to zbytecne natahovane. Dalsi dil si rozhodne rozmyslim :/

(I'm loosing interest in this... it's needlessly long. Dunno if I want to read a next book.)
Angela
Aug 26, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Jun 21, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gale Force is book 7 in the Weather Warden series and I would strongly recommend reading the series in order. I think if you tried to read this as a stand alone book you'd probably be missing too much of the back story to get the full enjoyment from the book. I'm really enjoying this series though so I'd definitely recommend checking it out starting with Ill Wind.

The story starts with Jo on a well deserved vacation - not that she actually wants to be there, she'd much rather be getting stuck int
Nisareen
Spoiler Alert! Throughout the series we’ve seen Joanne infected with a Demon Mark, die only to be reborn as a Djinn, lose her Djinnhood and revert to her human self, survive the Warden/Djinn War and give birth to a half Djinn half human daughter, survive the subsequent Djinn Civil War, only to lose her memory. In Gale Force, the seventh installment of the Weather Warden series Joanne is on a well earned vacation with David. When David proposes, a delighted Joanne accepts. Unfortunately their eng ...more
Jacey
I’ve been reading the Weather Warden books for a few years now and each time I think heroine Joanne Baldwin is about to come to the end of her trouble Ms Caine drops her in it again. In fact – it’s becoming a tad predictable. That doesn’t mean to say that this isn’t an enjoyable read. Plot happens. Lots of plot. I tuned pages fast and read this in one sitting. It fairly romps along at a great pace with a fair amount of slick dialogue which occasionally veers a bit towards the chick-lit end of th ...more
Kt
Aug 10, 2010 Kt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed, hardcopy
BizarreLibrary
Jan 25, 2009 BizarreLibrary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seth
A nice step back up for the series after a so-so wrap-up of the last metaplot. The new story here is around how the four groups, the Wardens, their new-school counterparts the Ma'at, the djinn, and the new-school djinn led by protagonist Joanne's lover David, handle a new world-spanning threat, this time one that is completely invisible to djinn and targetted directly at Joanne and David first.

With the djinn unconvinced that the threat is real, and unable to help much even if they do believe in
Sarah Crawford
Jan 29, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joanne Baldwin, Weather Warden. She's also a Fire Warden and an Earth Warden. David is a Djinn.

David proposes to Joanne and she accepts.

There's an earthquake in Florida, and it seems someone had started it on purpose.

Joanne meets another warden, and together they check out an abandoned building, finding a Djinn buried in concrete, except for his head. They find out that the black thing found inside him is antimatter.

Something goes wrong and the guy dies and Joanne is hospitalized. It takes her
Hasini (Ink On Paper)
OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!! OH. MY. GOD!!!

I don't even think I can write a coherent review right now 'cause the feels are explosive!!! THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE BEST BOOK IN THE WHOLE SERIES SO FAR!!!

This is downright one of the best books in the series! Dawn impressive writing too!

Okay, so Wardens and the Djinn working together is so badass! Especially when David and Lewis team up! Like, it's so badass!!! *.* Seriously though, the Wardens and Djinn teaming up took this series to the next level! Am
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
I really am such a fan of this series! It's a really fun read, and the craziness surrounding David and Joanne's wedding and Bad Bob making an appearance...okay, I'll admit to being surprised by that, and I totally didn't see it coming. But...he came back in a way that wasn't annoying, and Bad Bob reappearing totally wasn't cheesy. Actually, I found it pretty believable, which is good, because it totally could have gone the other way. (I'm glad it didn't).

Gale Force was a lot harder to put down
SOS: Serious Over...: December Buddy Read - Gale Force by Rachel Caine 53 66 Jan 18, 2013 05:55AM
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
  • Hell Fire (Corine Solomon, #2)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)
  • Redemption Alley (Jill Kismet, #3)
  • Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville, #6)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
  • Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares #4)
  • The Devil's Playground (Morgan Kingsley, #5)
  • Daybreak (Dark Age Dawning, #3)
  • Hands of Flame (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #3)
  • Alpha (Shifters, #6)
  • Spectre (Zoe Martinique #2)

Weather Warden (10 books)
  • Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1)
  • Heat Stroke (Weather Warden, #2)
  • Chill Factor (Weather Warden, #3)
  • Windfall (Weather Warden, #4)
  • Firestorm (Weather Warden, #5)
  • Thin Air (Weather Warden, #6)
  • Cape Storm (Weather Warden, #8)
  • Total Eclipse (Weather Warden, #9)
  • Red Hot Rain (Weather Warden, #10)

“His eyes ignited into a color found only in the heart of the sun. ‘‘Yes?’’
‘‘Yes, already. I’ll marry you. Yes. Hell, yes. What am I, stupid?”
4 likes