Start by marking “1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets” as Want to Read:
1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets

1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets

2.94 of 5 stars 2.94  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  23 reviews
"Reading this book is like getting advice from a trusted friend. Jamie's non-judgmental, conversational style put me at ease immediately. I felt like she had popped by and we had chatted over a cup of coffee. The last thing that someone who is dealing with clutter needs is more guilt! Jamie makes it seem manageable to conquer clutter."
- Judith Leblein, Host of EBTV "Conve
Published April 1st 2006 by Sourcebooks, Incorporated (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets

Danielle
Should have been titled: "990 Super Obvious Organizing Suggestions, Plus Ten Useful Tips." Seriously, I kept interrupting my reading to repeat inane "organizing secrets" to my husband in a "Can you believe this got published?!" kind of voice. Lest you think I'm being overly harsh there was seriously the "tip" that to make doing laundry more convenient, you might consider keeping a scoop in your powdered laundry detergent. It was phrased that way, too. I couldn't help wondering what the author th ...more
Caro
This one took a while to read. There's a lot of info. A lot of good tips and tricks, some costly and some are just rearranging (whether time or stuff). A good book that I did get some notes out of but there was a lot that didn't pertain to me. I'd say this was an all-in-one and good for anyone since there's probably a little something for everyone. This was written well, but not really something you want to sit down and read through. More like something you'd want to use as a reference when you ...more
Christy Olesen
Lots of ideas here. My favorite is the Brain Dump. Is your mind cluttered with things to remember? The Brain Dump help ease your mind. Get yourself a small spiral bound notebook and just write things down. To Dos, lists, dates, feelings, ideas. I've been using one for the last couple of weeks. It why I remembered to review this book, I have a page of books ready to review on Goodreads. I'm remodeling/redesigning my office/studio and I've been jotting down idea for it. Sketching how the furniture ...more
Michelle Moses
Wow! I didn't think an organizing book could have so much impact. After reading this book my house has already seen drastic changes. I deal with one clutter area fully before I move on to my next project.

I recommend this book to everyone. There are tidbits of info that would be helpful for the already organized as well as anyone who needs lots of help.
Jo

LOL! Just had to share this "gem": "For one whole week, pay attention to how you spend your time. You might be surprised to find there are small changes you can make which will give you back pockets of time. For example, would using a letter opener speed up the process of opening the mail?"

A letter opener? Really?
Abby
I have a mere 20 pages or so left in this book, so I am going to review it right now while I am at the computer.

I had to up this book rating to 4 stars, and I am contemplating upping it to 5. I am re-evaluating my star giving process. I think that I should give books that directly impact my life 5 stars. Then books that are like, good to read but don't change a thing about how I think or live, should be 4 stars and below. I have been giving this rating process far more thought than I should.

So a
Linda
I was interested for the first 20 pages and then I just thought to myself, this is very wordy. It felt like in the time I was taking to read all of that wordage I could be organizing stuff! This book seems to be better for someone who has never tried to organize before and doesn't know where to start. Most of the tips and tricks to be things I have already heard. I liked how things were broken down step by step, but I felt most of the steps were less necessary than me actually getting stuff done ...more
Sarah Fox
Easy, informative full of tips. Some will apply and might be useful; others not. Some tips may NOT be for my house or household. However, many tips are covered. Something is bound to be useful.
Jan Bradshaw
I also Liked Brain Dump help ease your mind. Get yourself a small spiral bound notebook and just write things down. To Dos, lists, dates, feelings, ideas.

Also - Do one thing at a time, before going on to the next.

It is fun to read and a lot of good ideas!

Edgar
Its an Ok book got lots of points really need work to stay focused to finish but not a bad reading
Kellie
I would be surprised if there are 600 tips here. Not that 600 isn't a lot, but there's too much repetition here to honestly present this as 1000 secrets. Much of the book is probably common sense, although it's always helpful to be reminded to, say, get rid of junk mail before bringing it inside. The typos were a little distracting; some proofreading would really help the readability of this book. And my original impression stands: she really likes armoires. And Rolodexes. And the number seven.
Anju

I am a notoriously cluttered person, so it'll be interesting to see how many of these tips actually get put into practice.

This book was very easy to skim, and overall it had a fair number of good tips. It is, however, a bit dated: it makes no mention of e-books and and talks about ways to store rolls of film and negatives.

A note on formatting: Reading the kindle edition of this book was good in that I could just highlight the tips I wanted to remember later.
Relyn
Dec 14, 2010 Relyn rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library's website
Ick. You know that I love organizing books and read them for fun and tidbits of inspiration. This one had none. Is anyone really so disorganized that they need to be told to toss old medicine and expired coupons? Really? And if they are, would they really be reading a book on organizing. Nothing new, nothing inspiring, nothing good.
Amygrace
great tips - more of a . Skim through the book at first to get ideas and then use as good reference to keep on hand (maybe in your organizing toolkit) when you tackle the big projects. Especially helpful right now as I remove clutter from last year and prepare for the next.
Amy Broome
At 200, was repetitive. At 250, was beyond bored. At 300, suspected the author never left her home. At 315, was sure of it. At 400, began skimming for anything not glaringly obvious. Got to end and was sadly disappointed.
Sidra
May 13, 2008 Sidra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love organization books. They are a super-fun read for me because I grew up in clutter kingdom and I found a new love for being clutter free and organized when I watched TLC's "Clean Sweep". It changed my way of thinking...
Vivcaudle
the title of the book says it all-quick and easy organizing secrets. There are a lot of secrets that are common knowledge but it does have some good ideas. More than anything its a good book to get you motivated to organize.
Alexandra Brovco
Overall a nice book.

But, there's one advice given that I really want to warn you against.

That would be the advice of having a single password for all of your web accounts. Yeah, no. Please don't ever do that.
Lynn
I just skimmed this book, but there is so many tips to read that I'll probably read it over and over again. This is a great go-to resource for any problem area you have.
Valerie Sherman
A lot of the tips were repetitive and she's a little too obsessed with armoires, but she had some great ideas that I jotted down and will definitely implement in my new home.
Betsy
Good, quick-ish read. Interesting tips, though not all applicable. Maybe I can be a little more organized?
Gregor Erbach
useless collection of tips and tricks
Orn
Orn marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
sverhamme
sverhamme is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2015
Melissa R
Melissa R marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Chris Carrel
Chris Carrel marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Lisa Mathis
Lisa Mathis marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jamie Novak is an expert Professional Organizer and Clutter Coach. She's been a featured organizer on HGTV's Mission: Organization and hosts her own show Sort It Out with Jamie. She also authored A Busy Person's Guide to a Life You Love. Jamie is the founder of The Clutter Club, a free nationwide association in which discussion groups run by professional organizers focus on how to clear clutter.

Ja

More about Jamie Novak...
Stop Throwing Money Away: Turn Clutter to Cash, Trash to Treasure--And Save the Planet While You're at It The Get Organized Answer Book: Practical Solutions for 275 Questions on Conquering Clutter, Sorting Stuff, and Finding More Time and Energy Keep This, Toss That: Thousands of Organizing Secrets to Unclutter Your Life 1000 Best Quick and Easy Time-saving Strategies A Busy Person's Guide to a Life You Love