1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets

1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets

2.9 of 5 stars 2.90  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"Reading this book is like getting advice from a trusted friend. Jamie's non-judgmental, conversational style put me at ease immediately. I felt like she had popped by and we had chatted over a cup of coffee. The last thing that someone who is dealing with clutter needs is more guilt! Jamie makes it seem manageable to conquer clutter."
- Judith Leblein, Host of EBTV "Conve...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Sourcebooks, Incorporated (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets

Danielle
Should have been titled: "990 Super Obvious Organizing Suggestions, Plus Ten Useful Tips." Seriously, I kept interrupting my reading to repeat inane "organizing secrets" to my husband in a "Can you believe this got published?!" kind of voice. Lest you think I'm being overly harsh there was seriously the "tip" that to make doing laundry more convenient, you might consider keeping a scoop in your powdered laundry detergent. It was phrased that way, too. I couldn't help wondering what the author th...more
Michelle Moses
Wow! I didn't think an organizing book could have so much impact. After reading this book my house has already seen drastic changes. I deal with one clutter area fully before I move on to my next project.

I recommend this book to everyone. There are tidbits of info that would be helpful for the already organized as well as anyone who needs lots of help.
Jo

LOL! Just had to share this "gem": "For one whole week, pay attention to how you spend your time. You might be surprised to find there are small changes you can make which will give you back pockets of time. For example, would using a letter opener speed up the process of opening the mail?"

A letter opener? Really?
Abby
I have a mere 20 pages or so left in this book, so I am going to review it right now while I am at the computer.

I had to up this book rating to 4 stars, and I am contemplating upping it to 5. I am re-evaluating my star giving process. I think that I should give books that directly impact my life 5 stars. Then books that are like, good to read but don't change a thing about how I think or live, should be 4 stars and below. I have been giving this rating process far more thought than I should.

So a...more
Kellie
I would be surprised if there are 600 tips here. Not that 600 isn't a lot, but there's too much repetition here to honestly present this as 1000 secrets. Much of the book is probably common sense, although it's always helpful to be reminded to, say, get rid of junk mail before bringing it inside. The typos were a little distracting; some proofreading would really help the readability of this book. And my original impression stands: she really likes armoires. And Rolodexes. And the number seven.
Linda
I was interested for the first 20 pages and then I just thought to myself, this is very wordy. It felt like in the time I was taking to read all of that wordage I could be organizing stuff! This book seems to be better for someone who has never tried to organize before and doesn't know where to start. Most of the tips and tricks to be things I have already heard. I liked how things were broken down step by step, but I felt most of the steps were less necessary than me actually getting stuff done...more
Sarah Fox
Easy, informative full of tips. Some will apply and might be useful; others not. Some tips may NOT be for my house or household. However, many tips are covered. Something is bound to be useful.
Edgar Sirucha
Its an Ok book got lots of points really need work to stay focused to finish but not a bad reading
Anju

I am a notoriously cluttered person, so it'll be interesting to see how many of these tips actually get put into practice.

This book was very easy to skim, and overall it had a fair number of good tips. It is, however, a bit dated: it makes no mention of e-books and and talks about ways to store rolls of film and negatives.

A note on formatting: Reading the kindle edition of this book was good in that I could just highlight the tips I wanted to remember later.
Relyn
Dec 14, 2010 Relyn rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library's website
Ick. You know that I love organizing books and read them for fun and tidbits of inspiration. This one had none. Is anyone really so disorganized that they need to be told to toss old medicine and expired coupons? Really? And if they are, would they really be reading a book on organizing. Nothing new, nothing inspiring, nothing good.
Amygrace
great tips - more of a . Skim through the book at first to get ideas and then use as good reference to keep on hand (maybe in your organizing toolkit) when you tackle the big projects. Especially helpful right now as I remove clutter from last year and prepare for the next.
Sidra
May 13, 2008 Sidra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love organization books. They are a super-fun read for me because I grew up in clutter kingdom and I found a new love for being clutter free and organized when I watched TLC's "Clean Sweep". It changed my way of thinking...
Vivcaudle
the title of the book says it all-quick and easy organizing secrets. There are a lot of secrets that are common knowledge but it does have some good ideas. More than anything its a good book to get you motivated to organize.
Alexandra Brovco
Overall a nice book.

But, there's one advice given that I really want to warn you against.

That would be the advice of having a single password for all of your web accounts. Yeah, no. Please don't ever do that.
Valerie Sherman
A lot of the tips were repetitive and she's a little too obsessed with armoires, but she had some great ideas that I jotted down and will definitely implement in my new home.
Betsy
Good, quick-ish read. Interesting tips, though not all applicable. Maybe I can be a little more organized?
Gregor Erbach
useless collection of tips and tricks
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Patricia Seratte
Patricia Seratte marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Anne Hawn Smith
Anne Hawn Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Murphy
Murphy marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Audrey Brown-williams
Audrey Brown-williams marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Maurizio Scalari
Maurizio Scalari marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Stop Throwing Money Away: Turn Clutter to Cash, Trash to Treasure--And Save the Planet While You're at It The Get Organized Answer Book: Practical Solutions for 275 Questions on Conquering Clutter, Sorting Stuff, and Finding More Time and Energy 1000 Best Quick and Easy Time-saving Strategies A Busy Person's Guide to a Life You Love Keep This, Toss That: Thousands of Organizing Secrets to Unclutter Your Life